Wave beats the Wave ,loses to Wake Forest in OT 23-17

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
msdos
Swell

You can take the coach out of JV but you can’t take the JV out of the coach

wave97
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:46 am Wrong, several experts including athlon had them ranked something like 35th in the country. Yes tonight sucked, yes we should have won, yes banks’ lack of vision has cost us the last two heart breaking games. But show some class, and acknowledge Wake is a team on the way up and they won. If we won it’s what I would expect and what a few of their fans have also shared regarding us. Honestly be mad tonight but don’t be a bunch of trolls, be upset tonight and let’s move on. We didn’t need this win, we could have/should have had it but we do need two wins amongst @UAB/Usf/houston/Memphis
We didn't "need" this win? Do we "need" talented coaches and players? How do you come by them, as a fan base do we really know? Of course, we can justify any level of mediocrity as long as everyone knows that we're cut from a different cloth, we don't need to win, we're Tulane!.
Go ahead and call me a troll if that makes you feel better.
Jaxwave
Swell

1. Embarrassing crowd
2. Banks is really good athlete but he is caught in between running this offense. He is not a consistent passer and he is not comfortable making the reads in the option game, especially pitching the ball.
3. DL stout against run due to size but not quick enough to get pass rush
4. Tackling was superb by both LBs and DBs.
5 Team speed on D chasing outside plays was good,
6. Defensive coaching was atrocious with no adjustment to the slants
7. RBs looked avg with the exception of Dauphine. Is injury a factor in his lack of playing time
8. Curious offensive game plan featuring the pass from the get go and all night really. It’s almost like they were using this game to practice it. Banks and WRs not good enough to carry this team without a running attack.
9. Expect better running attack against less talented teams. If not this is 4 win season.
10. I see nothing special from this coaching staff when it comes to game day strategy and play calling. They seem to run about 10 plays and even then not really good at calling the right play at the right time.
11. Going to be another teeth pulling year with regard to a bowl bid. Looking like 5-6 win team.
greenphantom
Swell

Very disappointing. I know Wake is decent but it was a winnable game. We are good at playing people close but we fold when the game is on the line. Should have seen more of Dauphine.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Fritz is not the coach we thought he was. Tulane will never get what it takes to
be a winner in my lifetime anyway.
Last edited by Bigschtick on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:21 am Very disappointing. I know Wake is decent but it was a winnable game. We are good at playing people close but we fold when the game is on the line. Should have seen more of Dauphine.
The program can only turnaround when it learns how to win games like this. Outside of Ohio St there’s not a game on the schedule that we can’t win. But the mental aspect of winning is usually the most difficult thing for a losing program to overcome. We haven’t reached that point yet. Last year losing to Cincy at HC or SMU cost us a bowl. Just win one of those two. This Wake game was a potential swing game for me. Had we won it would have likely carried a lot a weight forward. So losing here puts us a step back for sure. Suddenly beating Nicholls St and UAB looks tougher.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I definitely wonder why Dauphine didn't play more. He only carried five times but it was obvious he was faster than anyone else. Not sure what the gameplan was, because our offense didn't look anything like what we've run the first two years, and not even like the last few games of last season. It was basically shotgun all night with a single back. I like that reverse pitch to Encalade in the first qtr, but then we never went back to that play again the entire game. Very few option pitch plays were called the entire game. And by the 4th qtr and OT, the offensive line was a turnstile. Banks did even have time to wait for a play to develop most of the time. I was pleased with the defensive tackling. Very few YAC yards, but we didn't adjust to the slants. If we don't get better at that, even Nicholls has a legit shot to beat us. Overall very disappointing.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

Special teams have reached “good” level. So there’s that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am Special teams have reached “good” level. So there’s that.
Kickoffs for sure were outstanding all night.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It's amazing that Willie Fitz administration is the only FBS football coaching administration that has been completely intact since 2016, but it's simultaneously disappointing given that what happened yesterday is the best that could be done with that.
Dave breslin
Swell

High school offense won’t win games unless your a physically dominate team. And we are NOT dominate. We never will be. Our only hope is to be faster and smarter in the O play scheme. I’m afraid that it’s just another mediocre Tulane team. Hats off to the young D. They played hard but the stronger team won
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Keyes was awful. He should have been pulled much sooner. He can't cover and committed stupid penalties.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

If you want to go bowling, you have to win these kinds of games. We have no room for error (See last season).
Hats off to the defense for being on the field the entire 1st half and only giving up 7 points. The DC's hands were tied with running the defense out there time and time again. That, plus the inability to substitute, really forced us to play base defense. Wake will give teams fits with the no huddle but their defense is not that good.
Special Teams was solid. Big improvement.
It was quite obvious the offensive game plan was a disaster. Banks could not throw early in the game and when he did connect we dropped it. Second half, really no sustained drives. Everything was done on broken plays. We sure miss Hilliard.
All that being said, we still had a chance to win. Nobody should bitch about the crowd. Win these games and attendance will increase. Post-game press conference had me believing we just played Alabama. No anger or frustration. Makes me believe the coaches were happy we were not blown out. Sounded eeriely familiar with "the old college try" mantra out of Gibson Hall.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
anEngineer
Riptide

I would agree with most comments (the reasonable ones) about the offense in that is was puzzling why we didn't try to run outside more. There was some success there the times we did it, but it didn't seem to be part of the game plan. Also, where are all the clowns who have been screaming for 2 years that we don't pass enough? Last night was a pass-first offense and Banks doesn't have the accuracy or consistency for that. The one caveat I will throw out there is that all off-season, it has all been about Banks not getting hurt. Having him passing instead of running is the best way to accomplish that. It will be interesting to see if that philosophy changes once McMillen is considered ready to play. We may see Banks running more because there is less fear of injury. Banks fits last year's offense, not this one.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 am
winwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 am Our offensive line continues to suck. Thank god Banks is mobile. Our play calling is an abomination. Our offensive staff has no idea how to utilize our speedsters in space. No idea at all.

Our D sucked against a third string QB. Their line is so overrated. They won't do anything in the ACC.

A terrible start to the season. The stadium will be empty all year once again and the program will lose a lot of money.
Their o-line mauled their way to the end zone in OT. As a Thursday night couch qb, the play calling was interesting. I saw some good stuff tonight, but then again I saw a lot of the same stuff from year 1 to now 4 of WF. I'm chalking this one up to first game jitters. Hopefully we have a forceful response against Nichols.
The one OT series doesn't cover for the rest of the game. They were going against a very young D-line. Two true freshman, two sophomores , a RS sophomore and one senior. If they were what some were saying they were they should have mauled us at the line. They won't do anything in the ACC. As to Fritz it's year 3. We better beat the hell out of Nicholls but that won't prove anything.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 am We better beat the hell out of Nicholls but that won't prove anything.
This is a great line from a typical poster. We need to beat Nicholls decisively, but even if we do, I will still be complaining. Even winning isn't good enough.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 am
winwave wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 am We better beat the hell out of Nicholls but that won't prove anything.
This is a great line from a typical poster. We need to beat Nicholls decisively, but even if we do, I will still be complaining. Even winning isn't good enough.
Thank you Mrs. Fritz. Beating an FCS team is much expected. It won't atone for the shit show last night. We should have won that game by multiple scores. You must love the yoggie site where all is well all the time.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

LOL - i.e. Old Man (Grandpa) Simpson.
Last edited by Wavetrader on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'm sure if I went back and dug up my comments from the first couple of games from each year of Fritz, CuJo, and Toledo, they would be pretty appropriate again this year. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I saw NOTHING in this first game that makes me feel any different than past years.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Lucy pulled the ball again. We aren’t going to have an effective passing attack with Banks and these receivers. I also can’t see an effective RPO attack because Banks is now too slow, with his added weight. The Wake D looked like a bunch of cheetahs the way they ran down Banks every time he tried to run. I wonder, did Banks look this poor in pre-season, or did he just lock up when the bright lights were turned on? The coaching decisions looked like something from the Toledo years. Dauphine is clearly our best RB.—give him the ball. At best, it will be nip and tuck as to whether we can squeeze six wins out of this year’s schedule.. This loss was a huge missed opportunity, and strongly suggests that this will not be the “breakout” year that we had hoped for, and that some analysts expected.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This Staff coached "Not to Lose"...or "To Keep it Close'.... they had no clue on how to win
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am

LOL - i.e. Old Man (Grandpa) Simpson.
Can always count on you to enjoy losing.
Jaxwave
Swell

Anybody else get the impression that this offensive coaching staff is limited in their pass game knowledge. Or is it limited to what the QB can absorb? Their real is non”route tree.” Just outs, slants.
nawlinspete
Riptide

"We didn't need this win...." could be the dumbest comment of all time.

I guess we and Alabama can still make it to the College Playoff with only one loss apiece ! ! ! !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

I’m now more concerned about our offense than defense. Our 2 long TD’s were on busted plays.
Last edited by Show Me on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.