Wake Forest Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 pm First time ever, we're wearing blue jerseys and blue pants. Not a big fan of this, especially for what could be a pivotal game in the direction of our program. Save the goofy unis for Nicholls or UAB.

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 6599584769
CHANGE the TOPS to OLIVE !

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We tried the blue pants with green tops way back in the 80's one time. It doesn't work.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Defensively we may have to play a high risk/high reward gap technique against Wake's high tempo RPO. We should see something like what happened when Tanzel & Nico would cleanly shoot gaps and cause havoc in the backfield. If De'Andre Williams can cleanly penetrate by beating the o-lineman off the ball and our DB's/LB's can disguise their intent while timing the snap we should do well. This will put a lot of pressure on our defensive backfield who will often be playing man up with one deep. Our corners & nickel may be late to show on quick dumps, slants & run support & our free safety will be making a lot of tackles.
I hope the young d-lineman can execute cleanly & don't get caught in the "wash".
I know that Jeffery Johnson is a talented run stopper, but in a zone scheme, it is very easy to seal off big physical players without penetration.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

In the score prediction thread there's ridiculous talk that Coach Fritz should worry about his job if we lose to Wake Forest or UAB. We're a 6 point underdog against Wake Forest (the line opened at 9.5) and will be at least a 6 point underdog at UAB. We can get to 6 or 7 wins without those two upsets. Sure, it would make the goal of getting to a bowl game easier to win those two, but those are both games we're underdogs for a reason.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm In the score prediction thread there's ridiculous talk that Coach Fritz should worry about his job if we lose to Wake Forest or UAB. We're a 6 point underdog against Wake Forest (the line opened at 9.5) and will be at least a 6 point underdog at UAB. We can get to 6 or 7 wins without those two upsets. Sure, it would make the goal of getting to a bowl game easier to win those two, but those are both games we're underdogs for a reason.
Willie ain't on no damn hot seat...he and his staff took over a complete train wreck of a program, many of the previous recruits could not stay academically eligible or had terrible personal habits regarding conditioning....I posted between 4 and 8 wins....year 4 (2019) with the same grade of recruiting that happened this year and I think 7 to 9 wins are possible.....and I am somewhat confused by the AAC scheduling, why are we playing Cincy at Cincy this year, weren't we there this past year ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:44 pm In the score prediction thread there's ridiculous talk that Coach Fritz should worry about his job if we lose to Wake Forest or UAB. We're a 6 point underdog against Wake Forest (the line opened at 9.5) and will be at least a 6 point underdog at UAB. We can get to 6 or 7 wins without those two upsets. Sure, it would make the goal of getting to a bowl game easier to win those two, but those are both games we're underdogs for a reason.
Willie ain't on no damn hot seat...he and his staff took over a complete train wreck of a program, many of the previous recruits could not stay academically eligible or had terrible personal habits regarding conditioning....I posted between 4 and 8 wins....year 4 (2019) with the same grade of recruiting that happened this year and I think 7 to 9 wins are possible.....and I am somewhat confused by the AAC scheduling, why are we playing Cincy at Cincy this year, weren't we there this past year ?

I couldn't agree more, 'nut.

At the same time, in the other thread there's talk that a UFA tight end in an NFL camp MUST have been a starter. Despite the Wake Forest fans and media saying Wake has 10 starters back on offense, all except the QB.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

At the same time, in the other thread there's talk that a UFA tight end in an NFL camp MUST have been a starter. Despite the Wake Forest fans and media saying Wake has 10 starters back on offense, all except the QB.
on this thread @ 9:36 AM .I posted three WF newspaper articles one states they have 8 starters on O back and lost 4 of their front 7 on D...with new injuries i think they are down to 7 on O
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm Willie ain't on no damn hot seat...he and his staff took over a complete train wreck of a program

Great response to one of the more wacky posts I've seen in a while on this forum.
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:53 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm Willie ain't on no damn hot seat...he and his staff took over a complete train wreck of a program

Great response to one of the more wacky posts I've seen in a while on this forum.
I disagreed about the hot seat but on the other hand, god forbid anyone expecting Tulane to be able to easily handle wake forest at this juncture. I stated in my prediction that the deacons could be walking into an ambush. I hope our coach and players feel the same . I just wanna be excited about the start of a Tulane season once before I die.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm

I disagreed about the hot seat but on the other hand, god forbid anyone expecting Tulane to be able to easily handle wake forest at this juncture. I stated in my prediction that the deacons could be walking into an ambush. I hope our coach and players feel the same . I just wanna be excited about the start of a Tulane season once before I die.
the only "hot seat" Willie may have, is a case of "hemorrhoids"
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:43 pm
galvezwave wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm

the only "hot seat" Willie may have, is a case of "hemorrhoids"
Well, obviously
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:47 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

on this thread @ 9:36 AM .I posted three WF newspaper articles one states they have 8 starters on O back and lost 4 of their front 7 on D...with new injuries i think they are down to 7 on O
In addition to that:

https://wakeforestsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1125
That refers to him as a record setting tight end.

This quote was in the Athlon write up on Wake Forest for this year, "Greg Dortch and RECORD SETTING TIGHT END CAM SERIGNE drew so much attention that the whole passing game thrived. Wake's biggest struggle will be to replace Serigne."

But alas golf there's no helping him. If I say white he's going to say black. Everyone here knows it. It's a tired act that ruins threads continuously.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Guerry and I agree on the Hot August Night thing I referenced in my score prediciton thread
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... cc190.html

Two years..two different teams
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 7b15b.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Early on I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Wake Forest just try to pound it down our throats to give their freshmen QB a chance to settle in. Their offensive line is made up of three seniors and two juniors and no doubt is their biggest strength.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:42 am Early on I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Wake Forest just try to pound it down our throats to give their freshmen QB a chance to settle in. Their offensive line is made up of three seniors and two juniors and no doubt is their biggest strength.
I hope we get the ball first, take about 8 or 9 minutes off the clock (15+ minutes of time with their O standing on the sidelines) and score a TD. Clawson has said that he intends on running the same up=tempo offense despite the true Frosh QB. If they go 3 and out, and we put points on the board with our second drive, the kid would really start feeling the pressure.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:20 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am You have your brothers confused. Frank did want RR to get it and said so. Brother Sam was head of the GWC. and did lobby Cowen till he convinced him to hire Chris b/c he would stay.
You are right, I mixed up the Scelfo brothers.
F the Scelfos.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:42 am Early on I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Wake Forest just try to pound it down our throats to give their freshmen QB a chance to settle in. Their offensive line is made up of three seniors and two juniors and no doubt is their biggest strength.
Seems like he settled in just fine without them pounding it down our throats. His two ints were freshman mistakes, though.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am
Seems like he settled in just fine without them pounding it down our throats. His two ints were freshman mistakes, though.
They did tried to pound it on their first possession but we stopped them. Yes their QB was outstanding especially considering he was just playing high school ball last fall. The offense they run makes it difficult to put pressure on the QB. He had time and made his throws. That slant pass especially. The game went about as I expected. Close but no cigar. Need to win the next two or things can get ugly real fast.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am
On one throw he thought the receiver was hooking in, and he hooked out. The receiver, as I said to my buddy, gave up on the play and clearly could have taken two steps or a dive and kept it from being an INT. The annoucers said the same thing about 10 seconds later. As a true Frosh making his collegiate debut, he schooled our fifth year Senior. Absolutely out played him in every measurable aspect of QB play. Once he hit his stride, despite us taking the lead, I really didn't think we were going to win.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

on a positive (?) note...Basketball practice starts in a few weeks