The Perfect Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 am Golf in their case they don't need to enhance. They were perfect. :D
LOL...U can bet, when they talk now, they were better than they were in '98...bigger, stronger, faster and much better lookin'

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NTG
Ripple

https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/ ... 5526969344
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Already posted. Good stuff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As I've believed, and posted for years, the 1998 team was as good as any in the country. Had we played Tennessee in a MNC game, we may or may not have won, but it would have been a whole lot more exciting game than the sleeper we saw that year between the Vols and FSU. Was Tulane the most talented team in the nation that year? No. But nobody proved they could stop the Wave, and were it not for the biased BCS, we should have played for a mythical national champions.

They need not embellish how good they were. They WERE that good.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am As I've believed, and posted for years, the 1998 team was as good as any in the country. Had we played Tennessee in a MNC game, we may or may not have won, but it would have been a whole lot more exciting game than the sleeper we saw that year between the Vols and FSU. Was Tulane the most talented team in the nation that year? No. But nobody proved they could stop the Wave, and were it not for the biased BCS, we should have played for a mythical national champions.

Tulane would have given Tennessee issues, the first actually playing defense on the whole field, not just inside the hash marks...Tenneessee did not have enuff D backs to play against Tulane's spread O...their LB's, while very good would have never been able to play a complete 60 minutes covering all aspects of the field...when U ask most people how long is a football field, they tell you 100 yards...that is WRONG, the field is actually 120 yards long and RR made you play D on all of it
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am As I've believed, and posted for years, the 1998 team was as good as any in the country. Had we played Tennessee in a MNC game, we may or may not have won, but it would have been a whole lot more exciting game than the sleeper we saw that year between the Vols and FSU. Was Tulane the most talented team in the nation that year? No. But nobody proved they could stop the Wave, and were it not for the biased BCS, we should have played for a mythical national champions.

Tulane would have given Tennessee issues, the first actually playing defense on the whole field, not just inside the hash marks...Tenneessee did not have enuff D backs to play against Tulane's spread O...their LB's, while very good would have never been able to play a complete 60 minutes covering all aspects of the field...when U ask most people how long is a football field, they tell you 100 yards...that is WRONG, the field is actually 120 yards long and RR made you play D on all of it
I remember hearing a radio interview here in the NYC market by one of our O-lineman (Bernard Robertson, perhaps) during the 1998 season about how the offense was eating up opposing D. The Tulane player said that (paraphrasing I'm sure) "We knew we had the other team when, typically in the second half, they were holding their hips and sucking wind because we were too quick for them. Against Rutgers that happened late in the first quarter."

Again, I don't know if we would have beaten Tennessee in 1998, but we would have given the world of college football a much better show, win or lose, than the boring Tennessee vs FSU game that gave the Vols the MNC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

I remember hearing a radio interview here in the NYC market by one of our O-lineman (Bernard Robertson, perhaps) during the 1998 season about how the offense was eating up opposing D. The Tulane player said that (paraphrasing I'm sure) "We knew we had the other team when, typically in the second half, they were holding their hips and sucking wind because we were too quick for them. Against Rutgers that happened late in the first quarter."

Again, I don't know if we would have beaten Tennessee in 1998, but we would have given the world of college football a much better show, win or lose, than the boring Tennessee vs FSU game that gave the Vols the MNC.
I agree, it would have woken up the stogie world of College Football
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:22 am I agree, it would have woken up the stogie world of College Football
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 am

Glory days.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They certainly were. And we haven't had a team nearly as talented (never mind the scheme) since.

Our O-Line is on a mission to be the best Tulane has had. Make them watch films, the O-line in 1998 was damned good. If this year's O-Line was a fraction on what we had in '98, we'll contend for the West division title.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:20 am Episode Two:

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 9414054913
Thanks for the link, Win. Each episode gets better and better.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Houma de Wave wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 am

Although I thoroughly enjoy the coverage, I thought this episode was a bit long on Ken and Graf and a lot short on actual game highlights.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 am
Houma de Wave wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 am

Although I thoroughly enjoy the coverage, I thought this episode was a bit long on Ken and Graf and a lot short on actual game highlights.
I said that exact thing to a couple of friends.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Episode 3:
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 8877284352
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:34 pm Episode 3:

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 8877284352
That one is a lot better, with more game film than Graf and Ken. The throw by Curtis could have been replayed a few more times, as that was one of the key plays of the season (and what a great throw and catch by J. Dawson!) The King TD Pass to Franklin was another big play, and if you watch closely you'll see how much that toss threads the needle. Jordan with a big interception in the 4th quarter was something he and the D did when we needed it time and time again that year.

Many of our games were not on TV that year. I watched every one that was, and streamed the radio broadcast for those that weren't. I caught some flak from the family for being glued to the computer in my den, even on Thanksgiving night. We had family visiting from Canada, and I excused myself to go listen to the La Tech game!
chain gang x man
Swell

Tonight at 6:30 on WUPL channel 2 Cox will have a special on the ‘98 Team
Shaun King, Tommy Bowden and others will be featured
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 am Tonight at 6:30 on WUPL channel 2 Cox will have a special on the ‘98 Team
Shaun King, Tommy Bowden and others will be featured
Thx!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The special on the 1998 team tonight was really good. The family really enjoyed it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The final episode:
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 9429496833
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Really enjoyed this one as it had a lot more footage of the game. Hope we honor them with a big win Saturday night.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tommy Bowden not coming in. Neither is Rich Rod per Guerry Smith.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm Tommy Bowden not coming in. Neither is Rich Rod per Guerry Smith.
That's a bummer not only for the fans, but for the players that are making the trip back as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm Tommy Bowden not coming in. Neither is Rich Rod per Guerry Smith.
That's a bummer not only for the fans, but for the players that are making the trip back as well.
Yes. And of course Shaun King can’t make it. USF playing.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:11 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm
Yes. And of course Shaun King can’t make it. USF playing.
Somebody did a lousy job of putting this thing together if none of those guys are coming. If the timing wasn't right for those guys then it should have been scheduled for a time that was.
God Bless Everyone!