Continuity

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The staff has been intact for three years:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 1ae24.html

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

That's great, but it also means no excuses.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And our O-Line is still suspect, our special teams are (or at least through last year were) less than special, and this year we need to win 7 games to truly take a step forward.

I think Coach Fritz is a very good coach, but we need to win more than we lose, and that hasn't yet happened. So what's to celebrate?

Just win, baby. Just win.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm And our O-Line is still suspect, our special teams are (or at least through last year were) less than special, and this year we need to win 7 games to truly take a step forward.

I think Coach Fritz is a very good coach, but we need to win more than we lose, and that hasn't yet happened. So what's to celebrate?

If Fritz doesn’t at least split Wake Forest and UAB, and, in addition, if he doesn’t win at least two of Houston, Navy, SMU, and Memphis, I personally would support his termination.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm And our O-Line is still suspect, our special teams are (or at least through last year were) less than special, and this year we need to win 7 games to truly take a step forward.

If Fritz doesn’t at least split Wake Forest and UAB, and, in addition, if he doesn’t win at least two of Houston, Navy, SMU, and Memphis, I personally would support his termination.

That's a bit more harsh than I'm willing to go. We will be underdogs in each of those games. Wake is a contender for the ACC title, despite losing their QB for the first four games. UAB is every bit as good as we are, with a coach as well respected as Fritz. It's a road game, Tulane has had problems winning on the road for a VERY long time. Houston suffers from a poor coaching hire, but has a more talented roster from Herman's recruiting. I hope to hell the team comes out with a BIG chip on their shoulders against SMU, but Memphis has schooled us for most of this century.

We need 7 wins this year, but it's not going to be easy. Hopefully the offense is as good as we all expect and the D can rally, boosted by not being on the field as much as the last two years.

Fritz is the best coach we've had since Tommy B. I'm not ready to give up on him. AND if/when he leaves, it will not be a quick transition. He runs a unique program built around his "type" of player. Unless we hire someone similar, it's a 3-4 year rebuild, minimum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm

That's a bit more harsh than I'm willing to go. We will be underdogs in each of those games. Wake is a contender for the ACC title, despite losing their QB for the first four games. UAB is every bit as good as we are, with a coach as well respected as Fritz. It's a road game, Tulane has had problems winning on the road for a VERY long time. Houston suffers from a poor coaching hire, but has a more talented roster from Herman's recruiting. I hope to hell the team comes out with a BIG chip on their shoulders against SMU, but Memphis has schooled us for most of this century.

We need 7 wins this year, but it's not going to be easy. Hopefully the offense is as good as we all expect and the D can rally, boosted by not being on the field as much as the last two years.

Fritz is the best coach we've had since Tommy B. I'm not ready to give up on him. AND if/when he leaves, it will not be a quick transition. He runs a unique program built around his "type" of player. Unless we hire someone similar, it's a 3-4 year rebuild, minimum.
Navy and SMU at home...SMU has did not impressed me at all of last season and now get Sonny Dykes, nice guy but i am not sold on him as a head coach...if the Houston game was in NOLA I would expect a win, Major (named after a 'Bama running back) Applewhite is in over his head, and if they do not win 8 games he is gone..Memphis has too much prop 48's for Tulane this year...Navy gets to sign 90 kids each year, since they are "appointed' to the Academy and all have a red shirt at some prep school before enrolling
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I realize that it’s a strong opinion, but, In theory, Tulane should be able to defeat new coach SMU, Navy and UAB at this point even if it loses to Wake Forest, Houston, and Memphis.

If Tulane loses to Wake Forest, UAB, Ohio State, Houston, Navy, SMU, and Memphis, that means a non bowl season regardless of how it does against Cincinnati, Tulsa, USF, Nicholls and ECU, and, in regard to the latter group, I doubt anyone believes Tulane would go undefeated against them anyway.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:20 pm I realize that it’s a strong opinion, but, In theory, Tulane should be able to defeat new coach SMU, Navy and UAB at this point even if it loses to Wake Forest, Houston, and Memphis.

If Tulane loses to Wake Forest, UAB, Ohio State, Houston, Navy, SMU, and Memphis, that means a non bowl season regardless of how it does against Cincinnati, Tulsa, USF, Nicholls and ECU, and, in regard to the latter group, I doubt anyone believes Tulane would go undefeated against them anyway.
I don't disagree, but also feel that Tulane could field it's best team since the very early part of this century (Hawaii Bowl) and still not get to 6 wins. You are what your record says you are, but I'm not ready to wash out this staff if they don't go to a bowl game. Maybe I would be having suffered through another season under .500, but I think they'll find a way.

Yes, I am on record saying that the bowl season of CJ's first year was, due to a slew of circumstances the weakest schedule Tulane played in decades. MUCH MUCH MUCH weaker than the '98 undefeated team faced. Many of those 2013 teams were missing their most important players, and even though we won 7 games we left wins on the table.

My bigger point is that many here don't admit that Fritz isn't the only good coach among the teams on our schedule. I think Major Applewhite will be fired after this year, but that team still has a LOT of upperclassmen with talent. Navy, Memphis, Wake, UAB and USF are arguably more talented than we are as well. We're going to have to pull off some upsets to get to 6 or 7 wins.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Houma de Wave
Swell

Wake Forest is the biggest game of the season right now. But, for gosh sakes, do not overlook Nicholls State!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If our offense doesn't do really well against Wake's D that has really regressed since Elko left and lost some of their very best players then this season won't turn out the way we hope. I think we will.

Other than everyone agreeing Applewhite and ECU's coach aren't too good I don't remember people here trashing the other coaches in the league.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.