Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 am
sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:09 pm I think if you look at the difference between Fritz's 1st class and 2nd, he's obviously gaining more of a foothold in Louisiana as he becomes more familiar with it. LSU is going to see every kid in this state that wants LSU to see them. That does not hold true for Texas Am, Michigan, or whoever. It might mean losing 1 kid a year we were going to get, it might mean losing 1 kid every few years, it might mean 3 kids in one year. However, it doesn't make any sense. It's just going back and forth with LSU when we don't have the ammunition to win that battle. The more people you bring into this state from around the country the more they are not only going to keep coming where they are currently at, but when they move to different schools they will continue to recruit here. It doesn't make any sense at this point other than to screw with LSU. Which is fun to say and do until it backfires on us. As for the baseball situation, we have been gouging their fans on the midweek Turchin game for years and they have been complaining about it for years. We went a step too far and paid the price for it. Their AD is an idiot and our AD doesn't understand or care about the baseball program so we have two guys who don't understand or care about the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry so we get stupidity and bad things happen. Personally, I would not play them at Zephyr Field. Either Home and Home or nothing. If they want to add a 3rd game at Zephyr I would do that, but until that happens just play someone else. Go get a midweek 2 game series in Starkville or Oxford or Talahassee or wherever.
The issue is this: LSU dominates instate recruiting, and the state has a culture that fully encourages and supports that, but Tulane is not going to be able to break LSU's hold on the state on its own at this point, and, given that Fritz has shown that Tulane can recruit well without focusing on Louisiana recruits, Tulane is in a relatively unique position where it could weaken LSU's hold on in-state recruits by bringing in an outside program without doing so having a disproportionate negative effect on Tulane's recruiting since Tulane can apparently sign decent players without having to rely on signing Louisiana players. Honestly, this may be the first time in modern history that that has truly been the case, and it does make sense in the sense that Tulane is not going to weaken LSU's dominance in instate recruiting on its own. It's just not. However, once that recruiting is weakened, more decent in-state players would consider Tulane. Given that now, players with LSU offers don't choose Tulane, what does Tulane have to lose on that front?

As an example, if Texas A&M takes more Louisiana players, that means that it takes fewer Texas players, and, since Tulane has been signing a decent amount of Texas players over the last two cycles, it could expand more into Texas.
Be careful remember Tulsa came in and cherry picked 2-3 star La players that beat us. I agree with sader. Why bring in a Michigan or someone else. It’s just going to end up hurting us. We are not going to out recruit P5’s. It’s not going to happen.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aside from, "hey WF agreed to a LSU dual camp" I am still waiting for a compelling argument why we should work with LSU. They have their own camps in Baton Rouge where recruits can attend. Why not offer a different experience in NOLA? I am sure there has to be recruits who decide to just attend the Baton Rouge camp(s). instead of duplicating the same exposure by attending the TU and Baton Rouge camps.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 am
sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:09 pm I think if you look at the difference between Fritz's 1st class and 2nd, he's obviously gaining more of a foothold in Louisiana as he becomes more familiar with it. LSU is going to see every kid in this state that wants LSU to see them. That does not hold true for Texas Am, Michigan, or whoever. It might mean losing 1 kid a year we were going to get, it might mean losing 1 kid every few years, it might mean 3 kids in one year. However, it doesn't make any sense. It's just going back and forth with LSU when we don't have the ammunition to win that battle. The more people you bring into this state from around the country the more they are not only going to keep coming where they are currently at, but when they move to different schools they will continue to recruit here. It doesn't make any sense at this point other than to screw with LSU. Which is fun to say and do until it backfires on us. As for the baseball situation, we have been gouging their fans on the midweek Turchin game for years and they have been complaining about it for years. We went a step too far and paid the price for it. Their AD is an idiot and our AD doesn't understand or care about the baseball program so we have two guys who don't understand or care about the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry so we get stupidity and bad things happen. Personally, I would not play them at Zephyr Field. Either Home and Home or nothing. If they want to add a 3rd game at Zephyr I would do that, but until that happens just play someone else. Go get a midweek 2 game series in Starkville or Oxford or Talahassee or wherever.
The issue is this: LSU dominates instate recruiting, and the state has a culture that fully encourages and supports that, but Tulane is not going to be able to break LSU's hold on the state on its own at this point, and, given that Fritz has shown that Tulane can recruit well without focusing on Louisiana recruits, Tulane is in a relatively unique position where it could weaken LSU's hold on in-state recruits by bringing in an outside program without doing so having a disproportionate negative effect on Tulane's recruiting since Tulane can apparently sign decent players without having to rely on signing Louisiana players. Honestly, this may be the first time in modern history that that has truly been the case, and it does make sense in the sense that Tulane is not going to weaken LSU's dominance in instate recruiting on its own. It's just not. However, once that recruiting is weakened, more decent in-state players would consider Tulane. Given that now, players with LSU offers don't choose Tulane, what does Tulane have to lose on that front?

As an example, if Texas A&M takes more Louisiana players, that means that it takes fewer Texas players, and, since Tulane has been signing a decent amount of Texas players over the last two cycles, it could expand more into Texas.
Be careful remember Tulsa came in and cherry picked 2-3 star La players that beat us. I agree with sader. Why bring in a Michigan or someone else. It’s just going to end up hurting us. We are not going to out recruit P5’s. It’s not going to happen.
That's the point in that Tulane doesn't need Louisiana recruits to sign a respectable class and Tulane could, from the evidence provided from the 2018 class, sign a decent class with literally zero recruits from Louisiana. Given that that is the case, and, given that no one with an LSU offer chooses Tulane, what does it have to lose on that front? If Texas A&M or Texas takes more Louisiana recruits, it leaves more Texas recruits out of their classes for Tulane to go after.

As for Tulane competing with P5s, Tulane has signed a respectable handful of players that have had P5 offers under both Fritz and CJ, so a player having a P5 offer that isn't to an elite program or LSU has not necessarily been a door closer.
ajcalhoun
Swell

This sounds like a herd of zebras that has a hyena problem thinking of getting some lions in to get rid of them.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'd still invite Alabama, which is going to recruit greater New Orleans with or without a presence at a Tulane camp. And it would sure as $hit piss off LSU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

I haven't read the rest of the posts from the last 4 pages yet, so it seems like this has been mentioned., I saw some comments that were similar to what I was thinking. Its time now to fight back, drop the football camp with LSU and go back to looking at someone like Michigan, Texas A&M, Auburn, etc. When LSU gets pissed, tell them they have to agree to playing home and home baseball, simple as that. If football is really what drives their dept, the last thing they'll want is other P5 programs coming into NOLA regularly.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am This sounds like a herd of zebras that has a hyena problem thinking of getting some lions in to get rid of them.
By bringing in the lions it may end up making the Zebra herd stronger in the long run.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm So he's had since 2008 and didn't do it until TD's horrific decision. Sorry but this isn't about is being competitive.
Or you can say, he didn't do it until we started beating them. Perspective.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm So he's had since 2008 and didn't do it until TD's horrific decision. Sorry but this isn't about is being competitive.
Not about perspective. It's about reality. We have had other periods of beating them and the series wasn't canceled.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm
Not about perspective. It's about reality. We have had other periods of beating them and the series wasn't canceled.
Some people just don’t want to admit that we are partially at fault here.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:44 pm
We would need confirmation that TD rejected LSU's desire to have all future Turchin games on regular TV. Something tells me LSU just used the streaming issue as an excuse and TD would have had no problem putting future games on cable, just speculation of course. The entire situation wreaks of LSU bullying Tulane (as usual).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:44 pm
We would need confirmation that TD rejected LSU's desire to have all future Turchin games on regular TV. Something tells me LSU just used the streaming issue as an excuse and TD would have had no problem putting future games on cable, just speculation of course. The entire situation wreaks of LSU bullying Tulane (as usual).
Tulane bullied LSU. LSU just returning the favor.
TD bumped TV for last years game. It was the first time in memory that the game wasn’t on local TV.
Alleva asked for him to reconsider he said he would if Cox would pay Tulane the same as LSU would get. Of course Cox declined. Dannen told Alleva that LSU fans could buy Tulane’s stream and watch there. That really pissed off Alleva. So now LSU is not coming back here to play us. Simple as that. I knew this last year when it happened. I posted this prediction in the game thread. We basically gave the FU to LSU and now they are returning the favor. We gave them the perfect reason to stop playing in NOLA and they took advantage of it. Tulane fans suffer because it was the one athletic event on campus that had a legitimate big time atmosphere. Meanwhile life for the LSU fan goes on.
There’s not another opponent in America that we could sellout baseball on a Wednesday night, win, tailgate, RPI bump, make $125,000 and be on TV all at once. This is a game that once drew over 28,000 in the Superdome.
Not only fans but a lot of former players are angry about this.
The real insult would be to bow down and play the WPC at the Shrine every year. That would be giving LSU everything they want. I won’t pay a dime to attend that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

So what is the WPC payout for TU for those with inside info? The Shrine is 2x the size of Turchin plus parking plus concessions plus boxes plus tv.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:22 pm So what is the WPC payout for TU for those with inside info? The Shrine is 2x the size of Turchin plus parking plus concessions plus boxes plus tv.
It’s LSU’s home game. Most if not all of the proceeds go to the WP Foundation. Mostly likely all we get is our expenses covered.

Donated back to LSU in this one:
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=691529
Wally Pontiff Sr. is the head of the foundation. He doesn't tell me (Mainieri) who we have to play but I try to help him generate funds for the foundation. The bigger the crowd, the bigger revenue for his foundation.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I am sure we made very little from streaming the game and now lose out on a huge guaranteed gate. TD got schooled on this one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 pm I am sure we made very little from streaming the game and now lose out on a huge guaranteed gate. TD got schooled on this one.
To add insult to injury an LSU fan hacked the Tulane stream and put it on his YouTube Channel for all to see for free.
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm To add insult to injury an LSU fan hacked the Tulane stream and put it on his YouTube Channel for all to see for free.
That could easily be tracked down and action taken for copyright infringement (assuming the broadcast was copyrighted!)

Why would an LSU fan do that? LSU lost in an ugly manner.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm To add insult to injury an LSU fan hacked the Tulane stream and put it on his YouTube Channel for all to see for free.
That could easily be tracked down and action taken for copyright infringement (assuming the broadcast was copyrighted!)

Why would an LSU fan do that? LSU lost in an ugly manner.
I guess because he could.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

LSU baseball takes center stage tonight. Bregman MLB All Star MVP with go ahead HR in the 10th. :oops:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm LSU baseball takes center stage tonight. Bregman MLB All Star MVP with go ahead HR in the 10th. :oops:
Yes, the whole baseball world is talking about how he went to LSU. Not really, though.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm LSU baseball takes center stage tonight. Bregman MLB All Star MVP with go ahead HR in the 10th. :oops:
Yes, the whole baseball world is talking about how he went to LSU. Not really, though.
If you lived down here you’d understand.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... rt_m-rpt-2

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/

Plus every TV news channel in this area.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am
If you lived down here you’d understand.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... rt_m-rpt-2

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/
Yes, so 2% of the country, or probably .02% (because a whole lot of folks don't give a damn) actually hear that the ASG MVP (and many, if not a majority of baseball fans don't care about the All Star Game) actually put Bregman and LSU together this morning.

There's a slew of bigger stories: 10 home runs by 5 different players on each team. Machado trade. Leonard trade in NBA (I could care less). But trust me, 99.9999% of sports fans have no clue that Bregman went to LSU.

And I don't doubt that a few folks in Louisiana are talking about him being an LSU product. But that's far from "LSU takes center stage".
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fortunately locally it happened after the newscast were over and didn't make the paper because of when it happened.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

True, but Skip Bertman was LSU AD from 2001 to 2008, not that "creep" Alleva.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am
True, but Skip Bertman was LSU AD from 2001 to 2008, not that "creep" Alleva. And, we have won five of the last six, and we put on quite a celebration when beat LSWho at Turchin on April 18th?