Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 pm
kookingkajun wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm Do you really think that is going to piss off LSU? They already play 3 of those teams that you mentioned. They have their own 4 team tourney early in the season already. Why split the gate at The Shrine when they get 90% at home plus concessions.
The teams do not matter...bring in UCLA, Stanford and So Cal...Michigan, Michigan St,Wright State....Oklahoma, OSU and Oral Roberts.... any mid west school would love to come to NOLA in April to get the hell out of the snow and get some games in...that is why "Spring Training" is held in Florida and Arizona...ya get some big name teams and exposure in different parts of the country
And while we are splitting the gate with 4 or 6 teams. They’re have a home series at the Box. We can’t fill our stadium now against LSU, do you really think we’d fill it against any of those schools.
I don’t care how you cut it. Tulane needs LSU more than them needing Tulane.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s the deal. LSU says 4 for 1 (no more home and home) the schools will not play in 2019 - they will play an lsu home game at Babycakes field in Metairie (Pontiff Classic on TV ) in 2020 LSU wants a once every 5 years on a rotational schedule like they have with “all of the other Louisiana schools”.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 pm Here’s the deal. LSU says 4 for 1 (no more home and home) the schools will not play in 2019 - they will play an lsu home game at Babycakes field in Metairie (Pontiff Classic on TV ) in 2020 LSU wants a once every 5 years on a rotational schedule like they have with “all of the other Louisiana schools”.
Not worth it to me...bring on StarkeVegas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Add Turchin to the list of Fogelman and Yulman where LSU will not play us in.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm Add Turchin to the list of Fogelman and Yulman where LSU will not play at.
Well you can't blame them for not wanting to play those other sports in those venues. If we want to play them in NOLA it would have to be the Arena and the Dome.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:49 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm Add Turchin to the list of Fogelman and Yulman where LSU will not play at.
Well you can't blame them for not wanting to play those other sports in those venues. If we want to play them in NOLA it would have to be the Arena and the Dome.
Just saying. Frustrating as a kid that grew up going to all three on campus.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bring in the National Champs for a weekend every year. I'm sure they'd love to travel to Dixie in February, as the weather isn't very good up there in Oregon that time of year.

If this is on Dannen, everyone needs to bombard him with emails complaining about ruining the longest rivalry Tulane has.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

So far in Dannen tenure we have no postseason games and lost our most lucrative baseball game and valued series. I have liked most of what Dannen has done, but those are the facts.
msdos
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:55 pm Home and home over. Started playing each other in 1893. I skimmed through the history and we’ve played one another each year since 1911. Only broken up a few years when Tulane didn't field a team or the record was unavailable. (1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922)
Wow.
Way to go, Troy
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good shit what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I just sent my second EVER tweet. @TU_Dannen gets your tweet to Troy. This is unacceptable.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm
As you know I feel your pain. I've witnessed them on campus all these long years too. We'll have to share a beer in sorrow.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm
As you know I feel your pain. I've witnessed them on campus all these long years too. We'll have to share a beer in sorrow.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

sader24 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 pm So far in Dannen tenure we have no postseason games and lost our most lucrative baseball game and valued series. I have liked most of what Dannen has done, but those are the facts.
No question. This happened on Dannen’s watch. He’s responsible for this fiasco.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
Yes I did, and my apologies for doing so....not sure how much SELA and UNO depend on LSU ...U may be correct and it is their end all , be all, but it may be time for them to start thinking outside of the (alex) Box
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

No TV confirmed
https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... layin.html
This decision comes after Tulane chose to air the second 2018 game in New Orleans only on its subscription-based streaming service instead of on television.
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

What was the purpose of this? Did Tulane even make more money going this route? Whose interest did this serve?
Troy has got to be the stupidest son of a bitch ever to run this department and that includes Dickson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 pm What was the purpose of this? Did Tulane even make more money going this route? Whose interest did this serve?
Troy has got to be the stupidest son of a bitch ever to run this department and that includes Dickson
Funny thing was an LSU guy hacked the All Access feed and streamed it free on his YouTube channel.
phpBB [video]

I guess the intent was to piss off LSU by making them pay to watch and it worked. They got pissed and now they are not coming back to play us in NOLA.
So in the future if you want to see Tulane play LSU you going to have to go to Metairie and pay LSU and Wally Pontiff for the privilege. No thanks.
I’ll stay home and watch it free on TV.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Does anyone know why we cancelled the tv last year? Was it because LSU was wanting a sweeter deal or majority of the tv revenue for our own home game, or was it because we thought we could make more money by using all access and being greedy?
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

I’m as hard on Dannen as anyone on here, and I’ve been on the case for more support for baseball since day 1. Support from a admin perspective, ie more scholarship money and aid.

I’ve been saying to everyone about that since the beginning, that being said, I don’t believe this is his fault, this is 100% LSU being a baby about wanting more money that isn’t there’s from our own home games. That’s how I see it, until someone proves that I’m wrong, this is not Dannens fault. What’s sad is LSUs AD is acting like this and it’s not even that much money, pouting and pulling out over 100 grand because his ego got deflated.

If LSU was trying to strong arm us last year and trying to get majority of the tv dollars for our own home game which is what I suspect happened (renegotiating contracts or we won’t play y’all), then screw them. I’m not bending over for them. Rick jones wouldn’t either. They cancelled this game, not us, give me the ball or I’m going home type stuff.

Of course we want to play this game and Dannen does too, but we are not going to take it up the a** and play for free because they are LSU. We want a fair deal for our own home games as they want a fair deal for there own home games, the deal we’ve always had, if they are trying to change up the terms all of a sudden then I’m fine with walking away. I don’t want to play them. In fact I don’t really want to play them in pontiff classic either.

Well just play MSU home and home every year, then we can invite Tex a&m and ole miss for home and Homes, heck we can even throw an sec tourney every year and invite all there competitors to Nola to recruit. Everyone wants to play in Nola. We’ll be fine.

Alleva and LSU did this, pretty obvious they backed out, not us. And I’m def not bending over for them. Adios
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm I’m as hard on Dannen as anyone on here, and I’ve been on the case for more support for baseball since day 1. Support from a admin perspective, ie more scholarship money and aid.

I’ve been saying to everyone about that since the beginning, that being said, I don’t believe this is his fault. That’s how I see it, until someone proves that I’m wrong, this is not Dannens fault.

If LSU was trying to strong arm us last year and trying to get majority of the tv dollars for our own home game which is what I suspect happened, then screw them. I’m not bending over for them. Rick jones wouldn’t either. In my mind they cancelled this game, not us. Of course we want to play this game and Dannen does too, but we are not going to take it up the a** and play for free because they are LSU. We want a fair deal, the deal we’ve always had, if they are trying to change up the terms all of a sudden then I’m fine with walking away. I don’t want to play them.

Well just play MSU home and home every year, then we can invite Tex a&m and ole miss for home and Homes, heck we can even throw an sec tourney every year and invite all there competitors to Nola to recruit. Everyone wants to play in Nola. We’ll be fine.

Alleva and LSU did this, pretty obvious they backed out, not us. And I’m def not bending over for them. Adios
It’s our our home game so we get the TV money. Tulane wanted more money from Cox for this particular game in fact as much as LSU gets for its televised games. Cox said no to that so Tulane declined to televise it. Alleva was mad because the game has always been on TV. He begged Tulane to televise it. Tulane refused. Tulane told Alleva LSU fans could pay Tulane to watch a stream of the game online if they wanted to see it. This infuriated Alleva. So now it’s his turn for payback. He’s refusing to come play us in NOLA (wants a 4 for 1) Tulane made the decision that it thought it could make more money on the stream than what TV would pay. That’s it. These are the facts judge for yourself. One action has caused a greater reaction. Meanwhile IMO Tulane is hurt more by this. It was our biggest money maker by far. We probably lose $125K from tickets, concessions, parking and TV alone by not hosting this one game per year anymore.
I believe recruiting and season ticket and 10 pack sales will suffer. Playing them in Metairie for the Wally P Classic is an LSU home game and is not the same.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

It’s our our home game so we get the TV money. Tulane wanted more money from Cox for this particular game in fact as much as LSU gets for its televised games. Cox said no to that so Tulane declined to televise it. Alleva was mad because the game has always been on TV. He begged Tulane to televise it. Tulane refused. Tulane told Alleva LSU fans could pay Tulane to watch a stream of the game online if they wanted to see it. This infuriated Alleva. So now it’s his turn for payback. He’s refusing to come play us in NOLA. That’s it. These are the facts judge for yourself. One action has caused a greater reaction. Meanwhile IMO Tulane is hurt more by this.
thanks for clarification. Man I had it all built up in my head the other way around and you pulled the rug out from under me....I was wrong! Ha.

Sounds like we sh** in our own bed and we were the ones that tried to change the deal we always had. Unbelievable.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 pm
It’s our our home game so we get the TV money. Tulane wanted more money from Cox for this particular game in fact as much as LSU gets for its televised games. Cox said no to that so Tulane declined to televise it. Alleva was mad because the game has always been on TV. He begged Tulane to televise it. Tulane refused. Tulane told Alleva LSU fans could pay Tulane to watch a stream of the game online if they wanted to see it. This infuriated Alleva. So now it’s his turn for payback. He’s refusing to come play us in NOLA. That’s it. These are the facts judge for yourself. One action has caused a greater reaction. Meanwhile IMO Tulane is hurt more by this.
thanks for clarification. Man I had it all built up in my head the other way around and you pulled the rug out from under me....I was wrong! Ha.

Sounds like we sh** in our own bed and we were the ones that tried to change the deal we always had. Unbelievable.
When I heard this last season I knew damn well Alleva was going to have the last say. I’m not at all surprised this happened. I actually predicted it in the Tulane LSU game 2 thread. I appreciate Dannen’s attempt to extort money from LSU but it has consequences. It’s now less likely that we’ll ever play them in B.B. or FB as long as Alleva is there. I grew up and lived through the times we’d beat them in all three mens sports. It’s sad for me that we won’t likely ever get that chance again. (All 3 sports that is).
Here’s my gripe:
Anytime you get TV wanting to pay you to broadcast your product you jump at the chance especially in a sport like baseball that is underexposed. The irony of it all is we beat LSU as usual and no one outside of hardcore baseball diehards saw it or probably heard about it. And now on top of that we’ve probably lost the chance to host our biggest money making game in the future. Didn’t make any sense not to televise a midweek Wednesday night baseball game on your campus.
Tulane Class of 1981