David Pierce

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Show Me
Tsunami

Important things about Pierce. He coached up his talent every job he’s been at. We are not getting that now and it shows. Recruiting wise there were some great players that he had coming but he lacked the support from the administration to close deals. The bottom line is he found a way to win in-spite of the difficulties. Sean Allen left for Alabama because of recruiting roadblocks. Pierce immediately picked him up after getting the Texas job.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am
winwave wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 am Everyone on this site should know about the issue with the big classes eating up money . I posted several times over the years that we had got in a rut of having to sign big classes every 4 years b/c those classes didn't have enough good players in them to move on after 3years. However that wasn't what was said about our recruiting problems when Allen left. It was just about how hard it is to recruit at Tulane.

As for DP he is a good coach. All agree on that. However he didn't recruit well here and he and his staff just threw there hands up on the difficulties of it. The question is would he have made a Regional with what he left behind. People can scream all they want that we would have but we'll never know.
You are right with one thing: We will never know. But the fact remains: Pierce took the Green Wave Baseball team to the only NCAA tournament appearances they've had in 10 years the two years he was here. Pierce has never missed the NCAA tournament as a HC.
Again we all agree he is a winner. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't leave much behind.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Longhorns 0-2 and Bar-B-Que in Omaha
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 pm Longhorns 0-2 and Bar-B-Que in Omaha
I think David asked for extra sauce with is portion...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 pm Longhorns 0-2 and Bar-B-Que in Omaha
I think David asked for extra sauce with is portion...
I'm gonna predict he will be back to Omaha.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tough CWS debut for sure but DP is a good coach that overachieved this year. I agree in that he’ll be back again in the near future. Just makes one really appreciate what Jake and Miss St has done in their first two CWS games and how they were able to overcome tons of obstacles along the way.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm DP is a good coach that overachieved this year. I agree in that he’ll be back again in the near future.
Yep
God Bless Everyone!
McWave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm Tough CWS debut for sure but DP is a good coach that overachieved this year. I agree in that he’ll be back again in the near future. Just makes one really appreciate what Jake and Miss St has done in their first two CWS games and how they were able to overcome tons of obstacles along the way.
I am all for giving Jake credit but to credit the assistant coach with a two year tenure for MS success is a stretch. Success or failure for MS success goes the HC, in this case Gary Henderson. GH has been with MS since 2016. If I am mistaken, then maybe Sean Allen should be the credited with the Texas overachievement..

Of course Texas will be back in the CWS again in the near future. If not, DP will be looking for another job. The question is, how long will Texas keep DP without winning the CWS.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm Tough CWS debut for sure but DP is a good coach that overachieved this year. I agree in that he’ll be back again in the near future. Just makes one really appreciate what Jake and Miss St has done in their first two CWS games and how they were able to overcome tons of obstacles along the way.
I am all for giving Jake credit but to credit the assistant coach with a two year tenure for MS success is a stretch. Success or failure for MS success goes the HC, in this case Gary Henderson. GH has been with MS since 2016. If I am mistaken, then maybe Sean Allen should be the credited with the Texas overachievement..

Of course Texas will be back in the CWS again in the near future. If not, DP will be looking for another job. The question is, how long will Texas keep DP without winning the CWS.
Did you even read what I said? You’ve made a huge leap. I said “you have to appreciate what Jake and Miss St has done to overcome all the obstacles”. Where did I say “credit for all their success?” That’s your words. I referenced Jake because he’s our Tulane guy. And Jake hasn’t been there 2 years. This is only his first season. And he’s doing a great job as already pointed out by his peers. Of course a Henderson has played a pivotal role as well. That’s a given. With that said you may as well give Andy credit for keeping Henderson around. :mrgreen:

Pierce is running the show at Texas. Yes it’s expected at Texas for him to get there and win occasionally.
He’s getting paid well to do so.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

McWave wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 am

DP will be at Texas, under the current Prez and AD, as long as he does not commit the following:
No DUI/DWI's
No Auto accidents after an over ingestion of Alcohol
No screaming "Mother F#@king S$!T' and 'You Sorry Ass F#@king Players' in the locker room while local TV camera are recording
No over indulgence of alcoholic beverages at "Booster / Fund Raising events"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am DP will be at Texas, under the current Prez and AD, as long as he does not commit the following:
No DUI/DWI's
No screaming "Mother F#@king S$!T' and 'You Sorry Ass F#@king Players' in the locker room while local TV camera are recording
I didn't seeing anything about bangin' coeds on that list, golf.

God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:25 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 am DP will be at Texas, under the current Prez and AD, as long as he does not commit the following:
No DUI/DWI's
I didn't seeing anything about bangin' coeds on that list, golf.

This scene in the movie was filmed at "Top Notch Burgers" on Burnet Rd in North Austin...not sure if the Prez and AD have anything against "bangin'..just drinking and cursing
ajcalhoun
Swell

I knew you'd recognize the Austin reference, golf.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:55 pm I knew you'd recognize the Austin reference, golf.
Matthew's Mom lives on the 7th tee box of Legacy Hills Golf club here in Georgetown...several times he has been there grillin' burgers in the back yard and sometimes offering a burger or beer to those getting ready to tee off
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Despite getting them to the CWS the fans are unhappy about his pitching decisions. One more example of why so may turned the job down.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 am Despite getting them to the CWS the fans are unhappy about his pitching decisions. One more example of why so may turned the job down.
It’s easy to second guess but he did surprise many to get to the CWS in only his second year.
Achieved coach of the year along the way. Many passed on the Texas job because Anything less than a title is failure with Texas fans. The bar at those schools are ridiculously high but Pierce took the challenge
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

back in the day when schools good give a krap less about their baseball team, hiring part time coaches, shitty dugouts, one school made lots of CWS trips...but as others caught the baseball bug it has become a little bit more difficult...sumthi' Texas @ Austin Fans better get use to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USC_Trojans_baseball
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats! David Pierce BA National Coach of the Year.
https://twitter.com/texasbaseball/statu ... 13152?s=21

That makes three Tulane baseball coaches named National Coach of the Year. Jones (TU) 2005, Schloss (TCU) 2010 and now Pierce 2018. (UT).
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am Congrats! David Pierce BA National Coach of the Year.
https://twitter.com/texasbaseball/statu ... 13152?s=21

That makes three Tulane baseball coaches named National Coach of the Year. Jones (TU) 2005, Schloss (TCU) 2010 and now Pierce 2018. (UT).
And to think he was down on the list of potential hires by UT. He wasn't their first (or second) choice, but he wasn't their 10th, as some have proclaimed, either.

It's not easy to step into a job following a legend, Pierce has done that twice (Tulane and UT). Congrats David Pierce!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to him. And no he wasn't 10th. More like 11th or 12th. Like you said no one wanted to follow a legend nor deal with the expectations there.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Congratulations are due his way but he is by no means off the hook expectations-wise. The pressure will continue to be on him until brings home a Natty or two. Longhorn fans will not be satisfied with just CWS appearances.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm Congratulations are due his way but he is by no means off the hook expectations-wise. The pressure will continue to be on him until brings home a Natty or two. Longhorn fans will not be satisfied with just CWS appearances.
And given his track record and the resources available, who's to say he won't bring home a Championship at some point? He's the HC at one of the, if not THE top college baseball program in the country. It's a storied program, with all of the bells and whistles any recruit is looking for. It's placed many players into pro ball and a very good number have made it to "The Show".

I cannot believe 10 or more other HC candidates would turn down such an opportunity. With the egos most successful coaches have, they wouldn't shy away from such a challenge. But if it's been proclaimed by you know who, it must be Gospel truth.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm Congratulations are due his way but he is by no means off the hook expectations-wise. The pressure will continue to be on him until brings home a Natty or two. Longhorn fans will not be satisfied with just CWS appearances.
And given his track record and the resources available, who's to say he won't bring home a Championship at some point? He's the HC at one of the, if not THE top college baseball program in the country. It's a storied program, with all of the bells and whistles any recruit is looking for. It's placed many players into pro ball and a very good number have made it to "The Show".

I cannot believe 10 or more other HC candidates would turn down such an opportunity. With the egos most successful coaches have, they wouldn't shy away from such a challenge. But if it's been proclaimed by you know who, it must be Gospel truth.
Here are a few of the name that were mentioned
https://collegebaseballcentral.com/fair ... ook/14154/

https://www.burntorangenation.com/baseb ... an-Heefner
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I was well aware of the other names thrown about, and followed it because I didn't want Tulane to lose Coach Pierce.

I counted 5 that were mentioned as higher profile candidates than Pierce in the first article and 1 in the second. Many of those 6 never got to the interview stage (and we don't know if ANY were really considered). If UT "settled" for their 10th or 12th choice, they sure as hell lucked out! Coaches stay put in good jobs for many reasons when being considered (note: I did NOT say "offered") a job at a historically better program. Their own family stability is one BIG reason, and not one to be quickly dismissed.

But we all know Pierce had to be that far down the list, we've been told by the man behind the black curtain!

And yes, I realize I'm being a little (or a lot) snarly at winwave. But it's dog days and it's fun to see if he'll admit to the "w" word. He's like "the Fonz" when it comes to that!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Poor D . Right is spelled with an R not a W. The names are there. You've just substituted your judgment for that of the Texas AD. For instance one article list Pierce first among the remaining candidates as it runs down their positives and negatives but the beginning of the article states Texas preferred the last one listed over Pierce. Plus there were many other articles written about the topic. I'll add that Schlossnagle was definitely a target and got a huge raise out of it yet neither article mentioned him.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.