Rule Changes

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Dannen was just interviewed on the 10 news and was in favor of all the changes:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 95ad0.html


Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
User avatar
chain gang x man
Swell
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 pm
Location: Destrehan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 am

winwave wrote:Dannen was just interviewed on the 10 news and was in favor of all the changes:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 95ad0.html
It's about time the NCAA make some changes to the circus called National Signing Day
I'm so tired of seeing kids "so blessed" to receive their umtemth offer
Pick a college, sign your NLI and go to class
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:23 am

I like the early signing day, but you wonder if it will make football like basketball and we'll see more players transferring out after one year. They commit and sign in Dec, then find out a better school wants them, so they transfer at the end of the season. Or even early in the season to start the 1 yr clock rolling.

I do think it could help us land a player or two that we lost at the last minute in the past. Assuming of course, that we also start winning. If we don't, nothing else matters.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 am

RobertM320 wrote:I like the early signing day, but you wonder if it will make football like basketball and we'll see more players transferring out after one year. They commit and sign in Dec, then find out a better school wants them, so they transfer at the end of the season. Or even early in the season to start the 1 yr clock rolling.

I do think it could help us land a player or two that we lost at the last minute in the past. Assuming of course, that we also start winning. If we don't, nothing else matters.
" Assuming of course, that we also start winning. If we don't, nothing else matters."
Isn't that the beauty of it all?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:29 pm

The rule eliminating over signing should help with spreading the talent around.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:30 pm

winwave wrote:The rule eliminating over signing should help with spreading the talent around.
I agree. But you know the P5's will look for a way around it.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Hard and fast this time. No wiggle room.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17863
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm

These are proposed rule changes. They need to be voted on and then approved by the board first. The vote takes place April 26. Should be good for Tulane and other G5's if they pass.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:42 pm

The next vote seems to be a formality by all accounts.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 am

RobertM320 wrote:I like the early signing day, but you wonder if it will make football like basketball and we'll see more players transferring out after one year. They commit and sign in Dec, then find out a better school wants them, so they transfer at the end of the season. Or even early in the season to start the 1 yr clock rolling.

I do think it could help us land a player or two that we lost at the last minute in the past. Assuming of course, that we also start winning. If we don't, nothing else matters.
That's true, but that raises the question - why would an unbiased player commit early to Tulane unless they were a borderline FBS player in the first place? This is particularly an interesting question in regard to consensus 3* players since they are the ones most likely to get an 11th hour P5 offer.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 am

A 3* player is not a "borderline FBS player.

From 247sports. 3* is top 10% of players in the nation. The bulk of D-1 rosters, other than P5's are 2 and 3 star players.
110 - 101 = Franchise Player. One of the best players to come along in years, if not decades. Odds of having a player in this category every year is slim. This prospect has "can’t miss" talent.

100 - 98 = Five-star prospect. One of the top 30 players in the nation. This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft.

97 - 90 = Four-star prospect. One of the top 300 players in the nation. This prospect will be an impact-player for his college team. He is an All-American candidate who is projected to play professionally.

89 - 80 = Three-star prospect. One of the top 10% players in the nation. This player will develop into a reliable starter for his college team and is among the best players in his region of the country. Many three-stars have significant pro potential.

79 - below = Two-star prospect. This player makes up the bulk of Division I rosters. He may have little pro-potential, but is likely to become a role player for his respective school.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 am

RobertM320 wrote:A 3* player is not a "borderline FBS player.

From 247sports. 3* is top 10% of players in the nation. The bulk of D-1 rosters, other than P5's are 2 and 3 star players.
110 - 101 = Franchise Player. One of the best players to come along in years, if not decades. Odds of having a player in this category every year is slim. This prospect has "can’t miss" talent.

100 - 98 = Five-star prospect. One of the top 30 players in the nation. This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft.

97 - 90 = Four-star prospect. One of the top 300 players in the nation. This prospect will be an impact-player for his college team. He is an All-American candidate who is projected to play professionally.

89 - 80 = Three-star prospect. One of the top 10% players in the nation. This player will develop into a reliable starter for his college team and is among the best players in his region of the country. Many three-stars have significant pro potential.

79 - below = Two-star prospect. This player makes up the bulk of Division I rosters. He may have little pro-potential, but is likely to become a role player for his respective school.
Yes, 3* players make up the bulk of the roster at FBS programs, but every year there are far more than a few 3* players that are under-recruited for various reasons (i.e. measurements/academics/off the field issues/quality of competition in HS/bad FBS camps/out of shape/etc.) that end up at lower end FBS programs because they do not receive P5 offers/G5 offers from good programs. If Tulane was looking at a 3* player that was not under-recruited, why would they sign early to Tulane when waiting to the last moment in hopes for a better offer would make more sense? Would Fritz not pull an offer from a low end 2* player late in the process to make room for a high end 3* player?
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 am

Maybe because he likes what he saw at Tulane and he's smart enough to know what he wants in life? Sometimes there's more than just playing football at the highest ranked school. And I promise you, Fritz isn't recruiting dummies. Have you looked at the GPAs and ACT/SAT scores of the kids we're recruiting?

Of course I wouldn't expect a player that's been offered by a dozen P5's to commit early to Tulane. That would be absurd. But if Fritz is the evaluator of talent that I think he is, he'll see it in players before some other coaches will.

And, since schools wont be able to oversign anymore, a player waiting until the last moment could also find himself with nowhere to go. We're not talking about 4 and 5 star can't miss type of players here. Even Lindsey Scott didn't have a lot of P5 offers until LSU came along at the last moment.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 am

RobertM320 wrote:Maybe because he likes what he saw at Tulane and he's smart enough to know what he wants in life? Sometimes there's more than just playing football at the highest ranked school. And I promise you, Fritz isn't recruiting dummies. Have you looked at the GPAs and ACT/SAT scores of the kids we're recruiting?

Of course I wouldn't expect a player that's been offered by a dozen P5's to commit early to Tulane. That would be absurd. But if Fritz is the evaluator of talent that I think he is, he'll see it in players before some other coaches will.

And, since schools wont be able to oversign anymore, a player waiting until the last moment could also find himself with nowhere to go. We're not talking about 4 and 5 star can't miss type of players here. Even Lindsey Scott didn't have a lot of P5 offers until LSU came along at the last moment.
Targeting academics with student athletes outside of the P5/Army/Navy/Air Force/high end G5 is slippery slope in the sense that Fritz could target tons of smart 2* players, but is it truly worth it if there are less academically capable 3* star players available? Fritz's 2017 recruiting class was particularly bad, but, hypothetically speaking, if that class had a high average ACT, would that make it better?

The Lindsay Scott example is literally the on-point poster child scenario for why some of the players would think twice before signing early with Tulane. If LSU under Les Miles had a more QB friendly offense, it would have been able to sign one of its QB targets, but, because it didn't, it had to offer a lower end QB on its recruiting board (Scott), and, from Scott's point of view - and the point of view from his friends, family and coaches - he benefitted by still being available at the last minute since he received an elite P5 offer. Another way to look at it is this - if there had been an early signing period and Lindsay Scott had indicated that he wanted to wait until national signing day to sign so Tulane signed a different QB during that period, would Tulane have then turned away him away if he later asked Tulane if he could sign on national signing day? Of course not.

It's truly unfortunate, but it's a side effect of the P5/G5 separation.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5193
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Maybe because he likes what he saw at Tulane and he's smart enough to know what he wants in life? Sometimes there's more than just playing football at the highest ranked school. And I promise you, Fritz isn't recruiting dummies. Have you looked at the GPAs and ACT/SAT scores of the kids we're recruiting?

Of course I wouldn't expect a player that's been offered by a dozen P5's to commit early to Tulane. That would be absurd. But if Fritz is the evaluator of talent that I think he is, he'll see it in players before some other coaches will.

And, since schools wont be able to oversign anymore, a player waiting until the last moment could also find himself with nowhere to go. We're not talking about 4 and 5 star can't miss type of players here. Even Lindsey Scott didn't have a lot of P5 offers until LSU came along at the last moment.
Targeting academics with student athletes outside of the P5/Army/Navy/Air Force/high end G5 is slippery slope in the sense that Fritz could target tons of smart 2* players, but is it truly worth it if there are less academically capable 3* star players available? Fritz's 2017 recruiting class was particularly bad, but, hypothetically speaking, if that class had a high average ACT, would that make it better?

The Lindsay Scott example is literally the on-point poster child scenario for why some of the players would think twice before signing early with Tulane. If LSU under Les Miles had a more QB friendly offense, it would have been able to sign one of its QB targets, but, because it didn't, it had to offer a lower end QB on its recruiting board (Scott), and, from Scott's point of view - and the point of view from his friends, family and coaches - he benefitted by still being available at the last minute since he received an elite P5 offer. Another way to look at it is this - if there had been an early signing period and Lindsay Scott had indicated that he wanted to wait until national signing day to sign so Tulane signed a different QB during that period, would Tulane have then turned away him away if he later asked Tulane if he could sign on national signing day? Of course not.

It's truly unfortunate, but it's a side effect of the P5/G5 separation.
Once you sign a guy to a NLI isn;t it real bad business to break that commitment? Doesn't it potentially hurt recruiting said school later.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Maybe because he likes what he saw at Tulane and he's smart enough to know what he wants in life? Sometimes there's more than just playing football at the highest ranked school. And I promise you, Fritz isn't recruiting dummies. Have you looked at the GPAs and ACT/SAT scores of the kids we're recruiting?

Of course I wouldn't expect a player that's been offered by a dozen P5's to commit early to Tulane. That would be absurd. But if Fritz is the evaluator of talent that I think he is, he'll see it in players before some other coaches will.

And, since schools wont be able to oversign anymore, a player waiting until the last moment could also find himself with nowhere to go. We're not talking about 4 and 5 star can't miss type of players here. Even Lindsey Scott didn't have a lot of P5 offers until LSU came along at the last moment.
Targeting academics with student athletes outside of the P5/Army/Navy/Air Force/high end G5 is slippery slope in the sense that Fritz could target tons of smart 2* players, but is it truly worth it if there are less academically capable 3* star players available? Fritz's 2017 recruiting class was particularly bad, but, hypothetically speaking, if that class had a high average ACT, would that make it better?

The Lindsay Scott example is literally the on-point poster child scenario for why some of the players would think twice before signing early with Tulane. If LSU under Les Miles had a more QB friendly offense, it would have been able to sign one of its QB targets, but, because it didn't, it had to offer a lower end QB on its recruiting board (Scott), and, from Scott's point of view - and the point of view from his friends, family and coaches - he benefitted by still being available at the last minute since he received an elite P5 offer. Another way to look at it is this - if there had been an early signing period and Lindsay Scott had indicated that he wanted to wait until national signing day to sign so Tulane signed a different QB during that period, would Tulane have then turned away him away if he later asked Tulane if he could sign on national signing day? Of course not.

It's truly unfortunate, but it's a side effect of the P5/G5 separation.
Once you sign a guy to a NLI isn;t it real bad business to break that commitment? Doesn't it potentially hurt recruiting said school later.
It's terrible and raises major issues for the school. The implication in my example is that Tulane would ultimately sign two QBs instead of just Scott (i.e. the less desirable QB would sign during the early signing period and Scott on national signing day).
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Maybe because he likes what he saw at Tulane and he's smart enough to know what he wants in life? Sometimes there's more than just playing football at the highest ranked school. And I promise you, Fritz isn't recruiting dummies. Have you looked at the GPAs and ACT/SAT scores of the kids we're recruiting?

Of course I wouldn't expect a player that's been offered by a dozen P5's to commit early to Tulane. That would be absurd. But if Fritz is the evaluator of talent that I think he is, he'll see it in players before some other coaches will.

And, since schools wont be able to oversign anymore, a player waiting until the last moment could also find himself with nowhere to go. We're not talking about 4 and 5 star can't miss type of players here. Even Lindsey Scott didn't have a lot of P5 offers until LSU came along at the last moment.
Targeting academics with student athletes outside of the P5/Army/Navy/Air Force/high end G5 is slippery slope in the sense that Fritz could target tons of smart 2* players, but is it truly worth it if there are less academically capable 3* star players available? Fritz's 2017 recruiting class was particularly bad, but, hypothetically speaking, if that class had a high average ACT, would that make it better?

The Lindsay Scott example is literally the on-point poster child scenario for why some of the players would think twice before signing early with Tulane. If LSU under Les Miles had a more QB friendly offense, it would have been able to sign one of its QB targets, but, because it didn't, it had to offer a lower end QB on its recruiting board (Scott), and, from Scott's point of view - and the point of view from his friends, family and coaches - he benefitted by still being available at the last minute since he received an elite P5 offer. Another way to look at it is this - if there had been an early signing period and Lindsay Scott had indicated that he wanted to wait until national signing day to sign so Tulane signed a different QB during that period, would Tulane have then turned away him away if he later asked Tulane if he could sign on national signing day? Of course not.

It's truly unfortunate, but it's a side effect of the P5/G5 separation.
I'm not denying that Lindsey Scott benefited by waiting. And some will. But some won't as well. Suppose LSU HAD signed their QB targets, and in the meantime, Tulane had picked up Ty Pigrome for example. Then Scott could have possibly been on the outside looking in with nowhere to go. That's the risk they take. Now in our specific case, I'm sure we would have taken him, as well Pigrome, because we really had no QBs to work with, but down the line that won't always be true. There will be players that hold out for better, and get nothing, because all the G5 type schools that wanted them will have moved on to other recruits once he decided not to sign in December. I think its pretty obvious that if a kid won't sign in December, then he's really not 100% sold on your program. The ones you really want are players like Stephon Huderson, who signed in Dec just so he could start in school in Jan. A full year he was committed and he never wavered on that. You'll win with players like that, because at the end of they day, they're the ones that will gut it out in the fourth quarter when you need someone to make a play.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm

The skeptic in me says that this rule wouldn't pass without the support of the Alabama/Ohio State types and that anything they want can't be good for the G5.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5193
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:The skeptic in me says that this rule wouldn't pass without the support of the Alabama/Ohio State types and that anything they want can't be good for the G5.
This, 1000 X's this. Not only that, if it ends up hurting the big boys, then they will find an excuse to push the date forward. Don't be fooled, the NCAA leadership ultimately cares about one thing, job protection.

Here's my theory, this allows the big boys to get an early grip on where they need to focus as we get deeper into the recruitment period. Instead of having to spread their massive resources over all their areas of need, they can focus in on the areas they did not cover in December. In the early period, more recruits would be inclined to take a big time offer and conversely more would be inclined to hold of on a G5 offer in hopes that bigger school comes calling. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:The skeptic in me says that this rule wouldn't pass without the support of the Alabama/Ohio State types and that anything they want can't be good for the G5.
Absolutely this.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue May 09, 2017 10:29 pm

winwave wrote:The next vote seems to be a formality by all accounts.
Done:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/ ... iver_index
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Can fair catch the kick-off outside the end zone and get the ball at the 25:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 3cf43.html
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 am

Transfer and Redshirt changes:

https://collegefootball.ap.org/article/ ... -transfers

As for RS's they can now play in up to 4 games and they don't have to necessarily show injury. It can be any 4 games.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:32 am
The ones you really want are players like Stephon Huderson, who signed in Dec just so he could start in school in Jan. A full year he was committed and he never wavered on that. You'll win with players like that, because at the end of they day, they're the ones that will gut it out in the fourth quarter when you need someone to make a play.
I get your point, and agree. However, Huderson was a Freshman last year. He didn't sign early, because there was no early signing day in December of 2016. The first early signing day was December 2017 for the 2018 class. Huderson was part of the 2017 class.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7828
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 pm

winwave wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:56 pm
Can fair catch the kick-off outside the end zone and get the ball at the 25:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 3cf43.html
the dumb down continues outside of the class room and onto the playing field....stupid enuff to fair catch outside of the end zone but inside the 25 yard line...have no fear the Feds... I mean the NCAA will make up for your stupidity..and punish the excellent Special teams coaching of the opposing team...what a bunch of morons...Myles Brand must be in charge..or worse yet, his concubine SC
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply