David Pierce

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 am Not even close. They were everyday payers at critical positions. The eye test has worked for a long time.
Pitcher is the most critical position on the field. Emerson Gibbs pitched nearly 20% of all the innings pitched for Tulane in 2016.
Corey Kluber was the second most valuable player in the MLB last year while only playing ~13% of his teams innings. Max Scherzer was 7th. A good pitcher can definitely be more valuable than a good everyday player because the pitcher has the biggest opportunity to impact the game.
The eye test is dog shit. That’s why there are analytics and saber metrics used in baseball..

winwave
Top of the WAVE

First you say that there are no statistics to be able to measure their impact but then try to say the stats say otherwise. It is beyond foolish to not acknowledge their significant contributions to the team. Anyone that didn’t see the significant impact they had and that losing them was going to be a great detriment to last years team has no clue. None at all.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am First you say that there are no statistics to be able to measure their impact but then try to say the stats say otherwise. It is beyond foolish to not acknowledge their significant contributions to the team. Anyone that didn’t see the significant impact they had and that losing them was going to be a great detriment to last years team has no clue. None at all.
Huh? I’m not saying that stats say otherwise. All I said was that the stats we do have don’t show them to be much more productive than some of the guys the other guys on the team. I also said that if there were a WAR type statistic for college baseball I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Gibbs and/or Massey were considered the most valuable player.

Nobody ever said that losing them wasn’t a detriment. You’re making things up. What everyone is saying is that losing them shouldn’t cause you to go from 41 wins to 27.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I have said all along that it shouldn't have caused that much damage but it clearly dropped that group from being Regional worthy.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to coach Pierce in winning a Regional Championship in only his 2nd year at Texas. The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.
How'd they get to Omaha in '09, '11, and '14 wthout winning a Regional?
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.
How'd they get to Omaha in '09, '11, and '14 wthout winning a Regional?
Lol. That’s what I get for not checking. I left out “Super in Oxford” part. :mrgreen:
13 years ago (2005) they had to travel to Oxford for the Super. And they won it. And of course won it all that year when we were #1 seed. Thanks for catching that! Now with Ole Miss losing to Tenn Tech just now they must win later today against Tenn Tech to host. Otherwise Texas will host.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Roger Clemens talks to the team: https://twitter.com/texasbaseball/statu ... 4177658880
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:19 am Roger Clemens talks to the team:
https://twitter.com/texasbaseball/statu ... 58880?s=21
I like how he talks about "controlled emotion". That's a stark contrast to the 'roid rage he displayed in the 2000 World Series and other times in his career.

Pierce has done a great job at Texas, and proven that coaching makes a difference. Clemens, on the other hand, will always be tarnished by the steriod use the last 10 or 11 seasons of what would have been remembered as a great career. Much like Barry Bonds, Rocket Roger's skills were starting to deteriorate and got a HUGE boost by the juice.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tenn Tech gets game one 5-4. Clemens homers again but not enough.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

Nothing against David Pierce but I'm rooting for Tennessee Tech (or the likes of them) all day, everyday, against the University of Texas (or the likes of them.)
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm Tenn Tech gets game one 5-4. Clemens homers again but not enough.
so much for "controlled emotion"...go Tn Tech be the next Coastal Carolina
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm Nothing against David Pierce but I'm rooting for Tennessee Tech (or the likes of them) all day, everyday, against the University of Texas (or the likes of them.)
Ditto. Beat the Big Money Schools!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas gets game two 4-2. Clemens homers again. Winner on Monday goes to Omaha.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas gets game three 5-2. Clemens homers again. Pierce gets UT to Omaha in YEAR 2.
Wow. Congrats to all his staff that coached here as well as Zach Zubia.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Congrats to the 'Horns and Coach Pierce and staff. He's obviously one hell of a coach.
Wave755
Tsunami

Yep, Dave Pierce, about UT’s 13th choice to coach its baseball team after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.

Pierce is a winner.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.
Pierce is a winner.
Hey, I like David Pierce and I admit he is a winner but let's not act like getting UT to Omaha is a big deal.

This will be their fourth CWS in ten years and twenty-sixth overall (more than any other school.)

Their "drought" was a massive THREE seasons since their last appearance.

In fact, the last coach to NOT bring them to the CWS retired seven years before the CWS began.

It's like congratulating a rich dude for having a hot girlfriend.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.
Pierce is a winner.
Hey, I like David Pierce and I admit he is a winner but let's not act like getting UT to Omaha is a big deal.

This will be their fourth CWS in ten years and twenty-sixth overall (more than any other school.)

In fact, the last coach to NOT bring them to the CWS retired seven years before the CWS began.

Yes, he brought them to the CWS, where they tend to land regularly. But he also did so two seasons after a legendary coach couldn't bring them to the post season. That's exactly why David Pierce took the UT job and left a very good job at Tulane. The UT job is one of the best, if not the best in the country for college baseball.
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm
Pierce is a winner.

Pierce wins wherever he goes, period.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 am Pierce wins wherever he goes, period.
No argument here. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pierce was also a big part in Rice’s success during his nine years under Wayne Graham. He was a great manager of pitchers. I believe that was the biggest drop off we suffered when he went to Texas. Our pitching coach didn’t have a feel for the staff. Pierce has been perfect at making post season as a HC. Never missed one Regional since becoming a HC (3 at SHS, 2 at Tulane, and now 2 at Texas). People that criticize him for not recruiting here don’t know the real story. He had all his scholarship money tied up by that huge class Jake signed that was ranked. (Rogers, Alemais, Merrill etc) not until they got drafted or graduated did money become available. Once that money was freed up TJ was able to sign big numbers in his recent classes. He overachieved at Texas this year and was named Big 12 coach of the year for that accomplishment. Remember he won the AAC conference title at Tulane in his second year and he did the same in the Big 12 in year 2. That’s a huge accomplishment even at a school like Texas.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It is no coincidence that the only Tulane NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 8-10 years were by teams coached by David Pierce. DId he do it with other coaches players? Absolutely, but he DID IT!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everyone on this site should know about the issue with the big classes eating up money . I posted several times over the years that we had got in a rut of having to sign big classes every 4 years b/c those classes didn't have enough good players in them to move on after 3years. However that wasn't what was said about our recruiting problems when Allen left. It was just about how hard it is to recruit at Tulane.

As for DP he is a good coach. All agree on that. However he didn't recruit well here and he and his staff just threw there hands up on the difficulties of it. The question is would he have made a Regional with what he left behind. People can scream all they want that we would have but we'll never know.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 am Everyone on this site should know about the issue with the big classes eating up money . I posted several times over the years that we had got in a rut of having to sign big classes every 4 years b/c those classes didn't have enough good players in them to move on after 3years. However that wasn't what was said about our recruiting problems when Allen left. It was just about how hard it is to recruit at Tulane.

As for DP he is a good coach. All agree on that. However he didn't recruit well here and he and his staff just threw there hands up on the difficulties of it. The question is would he have made a Regional with what he left behind. People can scream all they want that we would have but we'll never know.
You are right with one thing: We will never know. But the fact remains: Pierce took the Green Wave Baseball team to the only NCAA tournament appearances they've had in 10 years the two years he was here. Pierce has never missed the NCAA tournament as a HC.