Ole Miss Sweeps the Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was looking good but just hit the wall. It's early and he'll build his stamina back up soon.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

rollwave11 wrote:Very encouraged by what I have seen so far through 6 games. Much better than last years team. Hung with Ole Miss in all 3 games

As far as our team, I think we are a much more balanced offense than in previous years. We put the ball in play and have some really good hitters in the middle of the order. We actually out-hit Ole Miss in 2 of the 3 games. On the mound, I really like what I have seen out of the starters (Roper, Ross, and Gillies). They have thrown strikes and for the most part shut down 2 good offenses. The bullpen has to figure some things out. Sam, Issa, and Ryan Green have pitched pretty well so far. Solesky and Trent Johnson have not pitched great, but I think they will be fine. The freshmen (Pellerin and Bates) look like they could be contributors as the season goes on. The 2 that are a little concerning at this point are McAffer and White. They have had big roles so far and have not come through. Defensively, we are really good in the infield. Sal and Hoese have really impressed on the left side. Outfield defense needs to improve. Jewett moved some guys around this weekend, which I think hurt our defense. Our best defensive outfield is when Johnson is in left, Spoon in center, and Kobi Owen in right. Hoping we can have a winning week. Fullerton is going to come in desperate after their slow start.
We lost 9–1 in game two. That’s not hanging with them.

The offense may be more balanced than the past 2 years but it’s definitely going to be worse. I’m not seeing all these really good middle of the order guys that you see. Only one really good hitter in the lineup as far as I can tell.

I don’t know why Green hasn’t pitched more. 2 appearances and only 2/3rds of an inning pitched. I thought he was supposed to be one of the high leverage guys.

As for Winwave claiming people are rooting for Jewett to fail because they wanted AC to be hired, I can’t speak for anyone else but that’s wholly untrue for me. I preferred that we hire AC but I had no qualms with the decision to hire Jewett. I only began to have an unfavorable opinion about Jewett when he started losing ball games and the players said he was doing a bad job and was in over his head. If he gets the team to start winning at the level that we expect, I’ll be back on his bandwagon.
rollwave11
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:
rollwave11 wrote:Very encouraged by what I have seen so far through 6 games. Much better than last years team. Hung with Ole Miss in all 3 games

As far as our team, I think we are a much more balanced offense than in previous years. We put the ball in play and have some really good hitters in the middle of the order. We actually out-hit Ole Miss in 2 of the 3 games. On the mound, I really like what I have seen out of the starters (Roper, Ross, and Gillies). They have thrown strikes and for the most part shut down 2 good offenses. The bullpen has to figure some things out. Sam, Issa, and Ryan Green have pitched pretty well so far. Solesky and Trent Johnson have not pitched great, but I think they will be fine. The freshmen (Pellerin and Bates) look like they could be contributors as the season goes on. The 2 that are a little concerning at this point are McAffer and White. They have had big roles so far and have not come through. Defensively, we are really good in the infield. Sal and Hoese have really impressed on the left side. Outfield defense needs to improve. Jewett moved some guys around this weekend, which I think hurt our defense. Our best defensive outfield is when Johnson is in left, Spoon in center, and Kobi Owen in right. Hoping we can have a winning week. Fullerton is going to come in desperate after their slow start.
We lost 9–1 in game two. That’s not hanging with them.

The offense may be more balanced than the past 2 years but it’s definitely going to be worse. I’m not seeing all these really good middle of the order guys that you see. Only one really good hitter in the lineup as far as I can tell.

I don’t know why Green hasn’t pitched more. 2 appearances and only 2/3rds of an inning pitched. I thought he was supposed to be one of the high leverage guys.

As for Winwave claiming people are rooting for Jewett to fail because they wanted AC to be hired, I can’t speak for anyone else but that’s wholly untrue for me. I preferred that we hire AC but I had no qualms with the decision to hire Jewett. I only began to have an unfavorable opinion about Jewett when he started losing ball games and the players said he was doing a bad job and was in over his head. If he gets the team to start winning at the level that we expect, I’ll be back on his bandwagon.
The 9-1 game was a close ballgame until the 6th inning. We had a few outfield miscues and some bullpen issues in that 6th inning. Of course the 6th inning counts just as much as the others, just trying to point out that we played with them for the majority of this series. As I stated before, those are the 2 issues I have with this team at the moment. I think the outfield defense is an easy fix by moving Johnson back to LF and Kobi Owen in RF. I believe the bullpen has some pieces, it’s just a matter of finding out which guys they can rely on.
As far as the offense goes, you can’t look at numbers this early in the season. I really like the way Johnson, Jensen, and of course Spoon have looked offensively. Rowland is a guy that looked like our whole lineup last year (strikes out a lot but provides some power). It’s good to have 1 or 2 of those, but not an entire lineup. Sal and Hoese look like they are capable of having good offensive seasons. Not sure how the overall numbers will look because we don’t have many “cupcake” games to inflate numbers, but I do believe the offense will be productive.
Profoundwizard
Swell

My lack of faith in the offense has less to do with the numbers through 6 games and more to do with the fact that we’re relying on a bunch of guys that were on last years team and they didn’t hit or they couldn’t even crack the lineup. More than half of our everyday lineup consists of guys that were the weak links in the lineup last season.

Consider me a skeptic on Sal and Hoese at the plate.
What would you call a good year for them?
rollwave11
High Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:My lack of faith in the offense has less to do with the numbers through 6 games and more to do with the fact that we’re relying on a bunch of guys that were on last years team and they didn’t hit or they couldn’t even crack the lineup. More than half of our everyday lineup consists of guys that were the weak links in the lineup last season.

Consider me a skeptic on Sal and Hoese at the plate.
What would you call a good year for them?
I could see Sal hitting around .270 with a solid OB% and some stolen bases. I think Hoese could hit around that same number but with more power. I think he will have some HR’s. Their numbers as true freshmen were not great, but unfortunately they had to start as true freshmen when they were probably not ready from an offensive standpoint. With a year of experience and from what I have seen so far this season, I expect them to be much better. I assume the other guys you are talking about are Artigues and K. Owen. Once again those guys are only sophomores. They were behind upperclassmen last season. Rowland had a rough start last season and was never given another opportunity. He looks like he will provide some power in the middle of the order this year. Spoon is one of the top hitters in the conference. The other starters (Acy Owen, Jensen, and Johnson) are all new and i like what I have seen so far. I still believe this team will rely on pitching and defense to win games, but I think the offense will be productive. Totally different than the high strikeout power offense from last year, but I personally like an offense that can produce runs in different ways (putting the ball in play, moving runners, putting pressure on the defense).
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’ll take the under on .270
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Roper looked fantastic. All of our starting pitchers looked good.

want to point out that Rowland is only hitting .216 but he accounts for HALF of our runs scored (9rbis plus his own 4 runs from hr = 13). The power of the homerun is what cost us this series, and at the same time really the only reason we were in it from offensive standpoint.

Homerun hitters can erase mistakes easily, and when you only have one or two there's not room for many mistakes. Those are erasers with one swing of the bat. Just my 2 cents.

I really like jewett and I think he's going to do great. This is yr one in my oppinion for him and his first class. like always, t's all going to come down to recruiting. Let's see if he can bring in some pieces this next yr To add to what we have and start to piece it together to go to omaha and be a perenial player.

After watching this ole miss series im actually really excited for the year. We are pretty close, just don't have much room for error right now. Just got to keep getting better as season goes.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Roper looked fantastic. All of our starting pitchers looked good.

want to point out that Rowland is only hitting .216 but he accounts for HALF of our runs scored (9rbis plus his own 4 runs from hr = 13). The power of the homerun is what cost us this series, and at the same time really the only reason we were in it from offensive standpoint.

Homerun hitters can erase mistakes easily, and when you only have one or two there's not room for many mistakes. Those are erasers with one swing of the bat. Just my 2 cents.

I really like jewett and I think he's going to do great. This is yr one in my oppinion for him and his first class. like always, t's all going to come down to recruiting. Let's see if he can bring in some pieces this next yr To add to what we have and start to piece it together to go to omaha and be a perenial player.

After watching this ole miss series im actually really excited for the year. We are pretty close, just don't have much room for error right now. Just got to keep getting better as season goes.
That’s not how opinions work. It’s year 2, he’s accountable for last year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

RollWaveRoll wrote:Roper looked fantastic. All of our starting pitchers looked good.

Actually, wouldn't his four runs from HRs already be included in his RBI total? So 9 of 28, or about a THIRD. Just a technicality, your point is still valid.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:Roper looked fantastic. All of our starting pitchers looked good.

Actually, wouldn't his four runs from HRs already be included in his RBI total? So 9 of 28, or about a THIRD. Just a technicality, your point is still valid.

good point
Show Me
Tsunami

Well that didn’t take long. Ole Miss loses their SEC opener 8-6 to unranked Tennessee.
Profoundwizard
Swell

A month ago we were really close but last week this same guy said Jewett needs until 2021 to get this turned around.
Be consistent
Show Me
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:36 pm First real test of the season and we failed. Ole Miss not as good as I thought they were. They will host a regional as most in the SEC but they will choke in it at home as usual. Disappointed that we couldn’t at least win one game.
Like I said Ole Miss will choke as usual in its Regional.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Show Me wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm Like I said Ole Miss will choke as usual in its Regional.

God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm
Show Me wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:36 pm First real test of the season and we failed. Ole Miss not as good as I thought they were. They will host a regional as most in the SEC but they will choke in it at home as usual. Disappointed that we couldn’t at least win one game.
Like I said Ole Miss will choke as usual in its Regional.
Wow. Good call.
David Pierce one happy coach tonight.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Ya Ole Miss makes the tourney 5 out of 6 years, draws over 8k a game and TU fans apparantly “revel” at their demise. Seems reasonable. Maybe TU can go over .500 next year in the mighty AAC, then ya’ll will have even more amo to crap on a program that gets it and um, actually wins games in a conference where TU would be blown away.
Wake the f up. TU fans should never crap on a program like Ole Miss, Must feel good to take a dump on those hillbillies, problem is that we stink. 8th place in a conference that sent zero teams to the supers, but ya’ll feel good about crapping on the lowly SEC schools that draw and compete.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:03 pm Ya Ole Miss makes the tourney 5 out of 6 years, draws over 8k a game and TU fans apparantly “revel” at their demise. Seems reasonable. Maybe TU can go over .500 next year in the mighty AAC, then ya’ll will have even more amo to crap on a program that gets it and um, actually wins games in a conference where TU would be blown away.
Wake the f up. TU fans should never crap on a program like Ole Miss, Must feel good to take a dump on those hillbillies, problem is that we stink. 8th place in a conference that sent zero teams to the supers, but ya’ll feel good about crapping on the lowly SEC schools that draw and compete.
Like I said just about every SEC makes a Regional. In the big picture with all those resources and no tuition obstacles they’ve made only one CWS appearance in the last 45 years. That’s how you judge a program. We made 2 in less than half that time with many more obstacles. The team we have now was poorly coached. Hopefully that changes with the addition of Latham.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ole Miss has been to the CWS 5 times and started playing the same time we did. There are many programs that have the same resources and lack obstacles that don't make it. We were trying at a time when many programs weren't. We had a good run. Unfortunately many are now investing and trying in baseball. We need better coaching and better players. May it happen.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 pm Ole Miss has been to the CWS 5 times and started playing the same time we did. There are many programs that have the same resources and lack obstacles that don't make it. We were trying at a time when many programs weren't. We had a good run. Unfortunately many are now investing and trying in baseball. We need better coaching and better players. May it happen.
Like I said they would choke as usual take that other garbage to the YOGI board. Tell Skip Bertmam he only made it to the CWS 11 times because no one else was trying. He only won 5 titles because only a few schools were trying. I’m talking about recent history not ancient history like you speak of. We went to a Rose Bowl in the 1930’s so what.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's right Skip was winning when many weren't trying. The point is he won them. He also made others start trying because he showed you could make money on baseball. You do realize that if one was to walk around this town saying Tulane is an Omaha program the retort after they laughed you out the room and called the coroner's office to have you committed is that if there's one thing you can count on if Tulane goes to Omaha- it will get its teeth kicked in. Some of us have standards. BTW, in that post you went on to say CSF was n't that good this year. They swept the Stanford Regional.

Like I said we had a good run. No need to try and rip others down.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 pm That's right Skip was winning when many weren't trying. The point is he won them. He also made others start trying because he showed you could make money on baseball. You do realize that if one was to walk around this town saying Tulane is an Omaha program the retort after they laughed you out the room and called the coroner's office to have you committed is that if there's one thing you can count on if Tulane goes to Omaha- it will get its teeth kicked in. Some of us have standards. BTW, in that post you went on to say CSF was n't that good this year. They swept the Stanford Regional.

Like I said we had a good run. No need to try and rip others down.
Quit trying to change the narrative. I was 100% correct said that they would choke and they did. Meanwhile you get back and get your jollies out of bashing and trying to belittle Tulane and Rick Jones accomplishments. People would laugh at you for calling Ole Miss a CWS program. One time in 45 years. I hope when they return the visit to Turchin next season we at least take 2 of 3. I’m sure you’ll hope they win so you can pull out this thread and claim otherwise.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're the one trying to change the narrative.I never said they were a CWS program. They are certainly better than us at this time and they had a very good team this year. They finished #3 in RPI. So it's childish to try and rip them down. Both programs have been Regional programs. You need to quit being up his ass and eating his shit and get a taste of reality. We had plenty of talent on those two teams and we failed when we got there. Our legacy is the two biggest blown leads in CWS history. We needed better coaching. What we got as time went on was worse coaching and recruiting and went 6 years without postseason play. Last place finishes and not even making the conference tournament. You're obviously fine with just getting to Omaha. I had much higher expectations at that time.

As for next season I hope we have better coaching and better players and we sweep Ole Miss.
Show Me
Tsunami

No surprise you choose to try to turn my Ole Miss choke prediction into a bash Tulane thread.
I’m off today so it’s not going to happen on my watch.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If you ask people around New Orleans if Tulane is an Omaha team, 95% of them would say "No, they're uptown New Orleans." Very few would know what the hell you're talking about.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 am No surprise you choose to try to turn my Ole Miss choke prediction into a bash Tulane thread.
I’m off today so it’s not going to happen on my watch.

Not bashing Tulane. Just dealing in reality. When we had advantages rather than obstacles we reached the promised land twice. Unfortunately when we got there we failed and failed miserably. So we had two teams that reached Omaha but we are not and never have been an Omaha program. So trying to claim that's our standard is complete and utter BS. In fact you are now on the record as admitting we have obstacles.

There was a time when I believed we could win NC's in this sport and I said that directly to the coach. With the changed landscape I don't believe we can win one now nor do I believe we can get to Omaha. I do believe we are invested enough to go to Regionals on a regular basis. I hope we get the coaches and players to prove me wrong and we claim a NC.