SEC looking to shakeup baseball rules

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Applying to add a 4th paid coach, permanent replays and outside Fall ball opponents.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 47a9e.html

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

All that money; they have to find a way to spend it.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:51 am All that money; they have to find a way to spend it.
Exactly!
Will just make it more expensive for other conferences to keep up.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sounds like "coaching overload" to me..." paralyzation thru over analyzation "...best coaching tip's

1--it's a round ball, but ya gotta hit it square

2-- Throw the ball...catch the ball...hit the ball

all ya need to know
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Speaking of money:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jake_Trotter ... 1661375490

"The Big 12 announced it will be distributing $36.5 million in revenue to each school for the fiscal year, placing the league third among Power 5 conferences and firmly ahead of the Pac-12 ($30.9 million) and ACC ($26.6 million)."

And remember they decided they didn't need to add any new members to share it with.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:15 am Speaking of money:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jake_Trotter ... 1661375490

"The Big 12 announced it will be distributing $36.5 million in revenue to each school for the fiscal year, placing the league third among Power 5 conferences and firmly ahead of the Pac-12 ($30.9 million) and ACC ($26.6 million)."

And remember they decided they didn't need to add any new members to share it with.
Seems they were right.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wavetime
Swell

What does the American Conference pay out?
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wavetime wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 pm What does the American Conference pay out?
I thought that question would be so easy to answer that I almost did "Let me google that for you."

I'm glad I didn't because I'm having a difficult time finding a definitive answer to that question.

There's a lot of info out there about P5 revenue but not G5.

A February 2018 article in SB nation gives us this about the P5:

SEC: $40.9 million
Big Ten: $34.8 million for teams getting full shares
Big 12: also right about $34.8 million
Pac-12: about $29 million
ACC: something like $27 million

I can't find anything concrete. I think our TV deal is about $.3.5 million a year per school before bowl game and CFP disbursements which would probably add another million or so.

If anyone can come up with something better I will be happy to be proven wrong.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

My memory says each school gets about $2 million though I'm not certain about that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

In 2015 we received $3.5 million. We get more now for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not really sure what to make of that. It talks about 6 years of revenue. I know there is something where NCAA basketball tourney credits accumulate over a time period like that. Then there's no mention of what the AAC TV revenue was. The $2 million I referenced above is what I thought each school got from the AAC TV deal versus the $1 million I thought we got under the CUSA deal.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm Not really sure what to make of that. It talks about 6 years of revenue. I know there is something where NCAA basketball tourney credits accumulate over a time period like that. Then there's no mention of what the AAC TV revenue was. The $2 million I referenced above is what I thought each school got from the AAC TV deal versus the $1 million I thought we got under the CUSA deal.
The spreadsheet has 6 years. I cut off the other years. That $3.5 is what we received from the conference share. (Combo of both leagues since we shifted over during that period)
I have all the financials on Tulane athletics from 2010 thru 2015. Both Rev and Expenses.
Our CUSA revenue payout avg’d a little over $2 million from 2010 thru 2014.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Based on that spreadsheet, we'd need to be taking in $16.5M in TV/NCAA rev each year just to break even. And that's without spending another dime on upgrading anything.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:49 pm Based on that spreadsheet, we'd need to be taking in $16.5M in TV/NCAA rev each year just to break even. And that's without spending another dime on upgrading anything.
Nope. Need more. We cut Aspire but that gap has widened in 2018. (Much of the expenses are coaches salaries which have risen quite a lot since 2015)

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Good point. So if we were in the ACC, we'd pretty much be not making more than a couple of million a year, even if we did no upgrades? Seems we have bigger issues. Is it all totally on lack of ticket revenue due to poor attendance?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm Good point. So if we were in the ACC, we'd pretty much be not making more than a couple of million a year, even if we did no upgrades? Seems we have bigger issues. Is it all totally on lack of ticket revenue due to poor attendance?
We may be making more. But we may be losing more as well. But I can’t verify because I don’t have the latest numbers. Poor attendance definitely hurts the bottom line. In general Cowen was ok with us losing about $2.5 million a year or so. The new stadium was supposed to be a revenue generator but I can’t tell if that’s working out without seeing the current numbers. I’d bet it’s probably not bringing in what they first thought it would. If it goes half empty every week that’s not going to cut it. Tulane raising ticket prices in the future is not the answer. Only winning in all sports will improve the bottom line. A better TV deal would also help.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:34 pm Not really sure what to make of that. It talks about 6 years of revenue. I know there is something where NCAA basketball tourney credits accumulate over a time period like that. Then there's no mention of what the AAC TV revenue was. The $2 million I referenced above is what I thought each school got from the AAC TV deal versus the $1 million I thought we got under the CUSA deal.
The spreadsheet has 6 years. I cut off the other years. That $3.5 is what we received from the conference share. (Combo of both leagues since we shifted over during that period)
I have all the financials on Tulane athletics from 2010 thru 2015. Both Rev and Expenses.
Our CUSA revenue payout avg’d a little over $2 million from 2010 thru 2014.
Thanks.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Of course that catch-all AAC/ACC/NCAA Revenue can be increased in any number of ways. Making a bowl game, making the NCAA tournament and winning even one game, etc, would all be included in that number, if I'm correct?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:42 pm Of course that catch-all AAC/ACC/NCAA Revenue can be increased in any number of ways. Making a bowl game, making the NCAA tournament and winning even one game, etc, would all be included in that number, if I'm correct?
Yes. But a portion the post season money maybe shared with the league. But it would definitely add to the bottom line as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:58 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:42 pm Of course that catch-all AAC/ACC/NCAA Revenue can be increased in any number of ways. Making a bowl game, making the NCAA tournament and winning even one game, etc, would all be included in that number, if I'm correct?
Yes. But a portion the post season money maybe shared with the league. But it would definitely add to the bottom line as well.

I realize that. My only point is, if we win and make bowl games and tournaments, we'll get more money as well as more fans.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:56 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:58 pm

I realize that. My only point is, if we win and make bowl games and tournaments, we'll get more money as well as more fans.
For sure
Tulane Class of 1981