ECU Wins theAAC Baseball Tourney

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 am
Show Me wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm The longer losing is tolerated the less desirable this job becomes. If candidates believe that the administration doesn’t care about the success of the baseball program you are not going to attract a decent candidate. Dannen has a serious decision to make regarding the 54 year step backwards we have taken these past two seasons. Like most, I see another losing season coming next year. The pitching staff and the bullpen need more quality arms. What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
Very simply, if RJ or Pierce coached this current team we would not have had a losing season .
So true. Last season Pierce would have scrimmaged more in fall ball and not had Massey throwing a weighted ball. He’s wins 33-34 games he’s in with that top 20 schedule we played. Same for RJ. Jewett spent his entire first year telling seniors he was doing it his way. He alienated the entire class and had no buy in from them. Dumb stuff like no facial hair, socks pulled up, National Anthem stuff, airport behavior etc. nothing baseball related. Wasn’t anything about talent. He had them doing remedial tasks that they did as Freshman Initiation. Hard to tell how this season would have turned out because two years is a long time screwing things up.

NotJtS
Low Tide

Pierce > Jewett
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:36 am
winwave wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am
Show Me wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm The longer losing is tolerated the less desirable this job becomes. If candidates believe that the administration doesn’t care about the success of the baseball program you are not going to attract a decent candidate. Dannen has a serious decision to make regarding the 54 year step backwards we have taken these past two seasons. Like most, I see another losing season coming next year. The pitching staff and the bullpen need more quality arms. What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
Very simply, if RJ or Pierce coached this current team we would not have had a losing season .

This team had less talent than 2014 so not true about RJ. As to Pierce we wouldn't have had a losing season but we wouldn't have gone to a Regional.
I didn't say regional but one thing to remember is we would have been deeper on the mound if Pierce was still here.
We agree we would have had a winning season but we wouldn't have been deeper. If anything with the way he and his staff recruited we would have been even worse off.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

Lafrance for one. Massey wouldn't have been a basket case also. And don't forget how good of a bat Zubia's could have been in our lineup along with his glove in the infield. We would have been better in all phases of the game to include bench coaching.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll give you LaFrance. Massey is not the sure thing many want to give him credit for. There are other issues there outside of coaching. Zubia's not pitching. It also appears he has DH'd and not been in the field much.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave has the opinion that the 2017 team was going to stink no matter who coached him. There is no reason to try to logic or reason with him, that's his opinion, and he NEVER changes his mind or backs off, so why even bother?

What we all agree upon is that the TJ hire is not looking very good at this time. The team not only had a bad record in his first two years, but we've played fundamentally bad baseball and NOT shown any iota of being a well coached team since he arrived. I'd take a DP team over a TJ team 100% of the time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm winwave has the opinion that the 2017 team was going to stink no matter who coached him. There is no reason to try to logic or reason with him, that's his opinion, and he NEVER changes his mind or backs off, so why even bother?

What we all agree upon is that the TJ hire is not looking very good at this time. The team not only had a bad record in his first two years, but we've played fundamentally bad baseball and NOT shown any iota of being a well coached team since he arrived. I'd take a DP team over a TJ team 100% of the time.
This!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm winwave has the opinion that the 2017 team was going to stink no matter who coached him. There is no reason to try to logic or reason with him, that's his opinion, and he NEVER changes his mind or backs off, so why even bother?

Fuck you too D. I have said the team should have had a winning season. REPEATEDLY. I clearly stated above that if Pierce had coached them they would have had a winning season. Pay attention and learn to read.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:07 pm

This!
See above response. Talk about someone who won't admit he's wrong on substantive issues. What a joke.

BTW, just recently when everyone on here was saying we need to fire the pitching coach you were the only saying it wasn't his fault. Glad you're not in charge.
Last edited by winwave on Fri May 25, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You are so full of yourself, winwave. Once again, earlier this week I admitted (to localvb) that I was wrong. I do so regularly. I learn by listening to others, You NEVER EVER DO. Your attitude is so arrogant, I'm wondering if you might be the one from New York? You school us every time you post. You know more about all sports, all things Tulane, and any other topic that happens through your mind that you have an opinion on. I could only hope to know all like you do.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:33 pm You are so full of yourself, winwave. Once again, earlier this week I admitted to localvb that I was wrong. I do so regularly. I learn by listening to other, You NEVER EVER DO. Your attitude is so arrogant, I'm wondering if you might be the one from New York? You school us every time you post. You know more about all sports, all things Tulane, and any other topic that happens through your mind that you have an opinion on.
D- I have admitted being wrong on things over the years. It's just your mantra b/c you hate the fact that I'm here and can see it with my own eyes and know what I'm talking about. You're obviously having another one of your bad days so you take your hate out on me. I'll point out that my response right above was correct that I have in fact said we should have done better. Rather than admit you were wrong you just spew more hate. I pity you. Get help.

As to your description of someone that is arrogant it fits tps to a T. He's the one long ago that started all that shit with his "Like I said". I just fight fire with fire.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I pity you, winwave. I really do. I haven't been happier in years. Really, but your can psychoanalyze me all you want through the internet. And you are wrong a whole lot more than you think, people just tire of arguing with you and give up, which is what I suggested others do that started this latest spat. You never EVER change your mind or admit your wrong, and it's tiring to read your proclamations and preaching.

Keep telling yourself how smart you are, and have a great weekend. I'm done with this and will let you have the last word (which is another thing you NEVER do for others.) I have too many more important things to do tonight than waste time on here arguing with someone that cannot respond to facts and logic.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 am
So true. Last season Pierce would have scrimmaged more in fall ball and not had Massey throwing a weighted ball. He’s wins 33-34 games he’s in with that top 20 schedule we played. Same for RJ. Jewett spent his entire first year telling seniors he was doing it his way. He alienated the entire class and had no buy in from them. Dumb stuff like no facial hair, socks pulled up, National Anthem stuff, airport behavior etc. nothing baseball related. Wasn’t anything about talent. He had them doing remedial tasks that they did as Freshman Initiation. Hard to tell how this season would have turned out because two years is a long time screwing things up.
Jewett's mickey mouse rules are why he'll never be able to recruit the better players. Why would any player want to play for somebody like this. I guess getting his first head coach job went to his head. When we are eventually rid of TJ, and it's only a matter of how many seasons we have to flush before we are rid of him, I'm sure we'll start getting all kinds of "inside" stories of what it was like to play for Capt. Quig. If the performance on the team isn't enough, Dannen should be having one-on-one discussions with some of the players. He ought to also have a one-on-one with TJ about all the screwball rules. I'm frankly surprised that any players are willing to continue playing for him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just so we can do the fact check, here's what winwave posted about the 2017 team on the threshold of the season:
Well the season opens Friday night so let's have some fun. Expectations were so low for basketball that I don't even think we did one for it. This years team returns 6 proven position players on the positive side of the ledger. The two positions that need to be filled are the two most critical, SS and catcher. as they say in baseball you are only as good as you are up the middle. We not only lost our veterans there but they were two of the best in the country at their positions. To make matters worse at catcher all of those trying to fill that spot had arm injuries that prevented them from even being able to throw the ball back to the pitcher in Fall Ball.

Pitching wise if we stay healthy we should have one of the best weekend starting rotations in the country. After that though we only have on reliever, Bjorgjeld , who pitched any meaningful innings last year. So we need to come up w/a midweek starter, a closer and at least three other relievers to form a bullpen. In comments made recently by Jewett he may use whoever would be the midweek starter on weekend relief if necessary thus going Johnny wholestaff against our tough midweek slate. Merrill, Massey and France will be the big three. I think Solesky will get the midweek nod. Ted Andrews has been noted a lot recently as the first one to get a shot as the closer. He is a grad transfer from Furman. Issa has been mentioned a few times by TJ as a reliever showing some promise. I think you'll also see Schnake come out of the pen.

My guess at the early line-up is :

Rowland,DH
Willsey, 2B
Kaplan, RF
Williams,1B
Montalbano,C
Witherspoon,CF,
Hope,3B
Dehart,LF
S. Gozzo,SS

As for record I'll go w/ 35-21 and 14-10. Hopefully we squeeze into a Regional.

Good luck to this years team.
So despite what he's said in post after post after post, he, like the rest of us, thought that the upperclassman dominant roster would find it's way into a regional, and play 56 games at a clip of 14 over .500
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm Just so we can do the fact check, here's what winwave posted about the 2017 team on the threshold of the season:
Well the season opens Friday night so let's have some fun. Expectations were so low for basketball that I don't even think we did one for it. This years team returns 6 proven position players on the positive side of the ledger. The two positions that need to be filled are the two most critical, SS and catcher. as they say in baseball you are only as good as you are up the middle. We not only lost our veterans there but they were two of the best in the country at their positions. To make matters worse at catcher all of those trying to fill that spot had arm injuries that prevented them from even being able to throw the ball back to the pitcher in Fall Ball.

Pitching wise if we stay healthy we should have one of the best weekend starting rotations in the country. After that though we only have on reliever, Bjorgjeld , who pitched any meaningful innings last year. So we need to come up w/a midweek starter, a closer and at least three other relievers to form a bullpen. In comments made recently by Jewett he may use whoever would be the midweek starter on weekend relief if necessary thus going Johnny wholestaff against our tough midweek slate. Merrill, Massey and France will be the big three. I think Solesky will get the midweek nod. Ted Andrews has been noted a lot recently as the first one to get a shot as the closer. He is a grad transfer from Furman. Issa has been mentioned a few times by TJ as a reliever showing some promise. I think you'll also see Schnake come out of the pen.

Rowland,DH
Willsey, 2B
Kaplan, RF
Williams,1B
Montalbano,C
Witherspoon,CF,
Hope,3B
Dehart,LF
S. Gozzo,SS

So despite what he's said in post after post after post, he, like the rest of us, thought that the upperclassman dominant roster would find it's way into a regional, and play 56 games at a clip of 14 over .500
Busted!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That was a .625 winning percentage clip winwave predicted for the 2017 team.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9414&p=158251&view=show#p158251

Does anyone else hear the crickets?
Pepper
Swell

LOL!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm Just so we can do the fact check, here's what winwave posted about the 2017 team on the threshold of the season:

Rowland,DH
Willsey, 2B
Kaplan, RF
Williams,1B
Montalbano,C
Witherspoon,CF,
Hope,3B
Dehart,LF
S. Gozzo,SS

Busted!
LOL. Except not busted. I said what I said all along . The loss at the those two key positions was huge. I predicted a winning season and said I HOPED we'd make Regional. When I posted that the thought was we had Montalbano at C. He wouldn't be Rogers defensively but his bat would be of help and he would be competent at catcher. Then he got hurt early and that was that. I also clearly had questions about the bullpen and that didn't go well. It was a good analysis. Thanks for bringing it back up. Try again.
Last edited by winwave on Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Back to the current threads. I said all along we should have had a winning season. I said we lacked talent and coaching. D agreed that we lacked both.tps , show me and pepper insisted it was strictly a coaching issue. Yesterday in the heat of things things got ugly. Today the conversation turned rational. Pepper and I had a good conversation back and forth. Things were over with. Then of course D hsa to come with his hate Standard fare.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Duplicate.
Last edited by winwave on Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm First off you're rarely if ever going to have a staff that can go 7 good innings every game. More importantly those guys were good but it took a bullpen to help get the game to them. One guy never has and never will be able to come in and close out every game. It's too simplistic to think otherwise. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of we have plenty of talent but we don't and this staff needs to step up the recruiting big time.
Hijack alert :oops:
Friday and Saturday Gillies and Roper are good enough to keep us in it through 7 innings. If not every game but most games. Sunday and midweek are less about 7 inning games. That doesn’t mean they go 7 full innings each outing. Our problem has not been starting pitching or scoring runs.
Terribly wrong. They both started 14 times. They each went 7 or more 4 times. Roper had trouble early in games most of the year and couldn't go long. Gillies also tends to get into high pitching counts early. It takes a bullpen. It''s beyond ludicrous to say a team just needs one reliever. Try again.

Talk about busted. Clearly wrong and still hasn't admitted it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm First off you're rarely if ever going to have a staff that can go 7 good innings every game. More importantly those guys were good but it took a bullpen to help get the game to them. One guy never has and never will be able to come in and close out every game. It's too simplistic to think otherwise. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of we have plenty of talent but we don't and this staff needs to step up the recruiting big time.
Friday and Saturday Gillies and Roper are good enough to keep us in it through 7 innings. If not every game but most games. Sunday and midweek are less about 7 inning games. That doesn’t mean they go 7 full innings each outing. Our problem has not been starting pitching or scoring runs.
Terribly wrong. They both started 14 times. They each went 7 or more 4 times. Roper had trouble early in games most of the year and couldn't go long. Gillies also tends to get into high pitching counts early. It takes a bullpen. It''s beyond ludicrous to say a team just needs one reliever. Try again.

Try again.
I nailed the prediction of a losing season go read the thread. BC Wave even acknowledged my nailing it. You are busted calling for 35 wins. Injuries are expected and happen every year. I recall you saying that about our past coaches for using injuries as an excuse. And here you’re doing that very thing. Your prediction was wrong by a mile. DCT busted you out. I’m lmao.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:09 am
winwave wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Try again.
I nailed the prediction of a losing season go read the thread. BC Wave even acknowledged my nailing it. You are busted calling for 34 wins. Injuries are expected and happen every year. I recall you saying that about our past coaches for using injuries as an excuse. And here you’re doing that very thing. Your prediction was wrong by a mile. DCT busted you out. I’m lmao.
So desperate. Trying to change the topic. You were dead wrong and can't admit it.Pathetic. LOL.
ajcalhoun
Swell

God Bless Everyone!
Jaxwave
Swell

While you too argue over who's right and who's wrong, Tulane cashed another AAC check despite horrible results and as bad an overall athletic program in terms of funding, fan interest, brand and winning, as there is in the country. I continue to be embarrassed to wear my Tulane gear in public.
Hey guys, you want to raise money, try winning in athletics and giving alumni something to be proud of.