ECU Wins theAAC Baseball Tourney

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

At least we're less than 100 days to football!

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

How wonderful ! The ole 10
run rule on our beloved baseball program ! Can’t wait till next year!!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

A big part of college coaching is recruiting and evaluating players. It’s ultimately on the coaches.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am Next year going to be very similar to this year. Unless a miracle happens I’m expecting a 3rd straight losing season.
Agree. I don’t want to lay it all on Jewett as he didn’t inherit a ton of talent but clearly this isn’t working and it’s time for a change. I’m glad I didn’t invest a whole lot of time watching the team this season. Bring on Football.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This team lacks Leadership...and it starts at the top...but there is good news...NO MORE PING PONG... or for you PC'ers "Table Tennis' ... this "Coaching Staff' (?) is terrible
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:38 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am Next year going to be very similar to this year. Unless a miracle happens I’m expecting a 3rd straight losing season.
Agree. I don’t want to lay it all on Jewett as he didn’t inherit a ton of talent but clearly this isn’t working and it’s time for a change. I’m glad I didn’t invest a whole lot of time watching the team this season. Bring on Football.
Pierce and his staff coached up his teams. I’m not seeing that with this staff. Same damn mistakes every weekend all year.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

If we see nothing change, there will be big changes forthcoming...as in - more seats, less bodies in the stands.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am If we see nothing change, there will be big changes forthcoming...as in - more seats, less bodies in the stands.
Yep. Baseball is easily the most time consuming sport of all for a season ticket holder. Over 30 home games that last at least 3 hours a game plus travel time. That’s a lot of dedication to a sport. If it continues to trend down fans will find other ways to spend their time and money for sure. I missed more home games this season then ever. In fact it’s more than all the other past seasons combined. And I’ve been going to baseball games regularly since the 80’s.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This Coaching staff never coached the basics of base running, hitting, correct posture of fielding or throwing....as far as "pitching" is concerned Tulane has "throwers' and very few "pitchers'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 am
RobertM320 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:29 am Maybe I'm just not getting it. We gave up NINE walks in four innings. Aren't you taught from Little League days that if you want to be a pitcher, you have to be able to throw the ball over the plate? Either you can or you can't. If you can't, then how does the pitching coach have anything to do with it? If you walk that many batters, you're going to lose a lot of games, even if your offense has Mickey Mantle, Barry Bonds, Jose Altuve and Aaron Judge in it.

To me, this reeks of lack of talent on the pitching staff.
Either they were all crappy pitchers, and we recruited them, or they've never had the coaching here at Tulane to pitch strikes and get better. At the end of the day, it's on the coaches.
It is on the COACHES AS IN PIERCE AND JEWETT. Everyone understands a coach initially has to work with the former staff's players and Pierce and his staff didn't recruit well. Allen left b/c he said it was too difficult to recruit here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 am Well then you changed your mind since yesterday. Glad you've seen the light. Most also agree that we lack talent position player wise especially at catcher and SS.
I’ve always said this year we have two starters that can win. Nothing much behind that. Sunday’s are hitters day for most teams. We should be able to compete there. And midweek we have enough talent to beat most of the schools in state. We need a good closer, better pen and better coaching. (Read each series thread and you’ll see where I say “no bullpen again” almost every time). We don’t have Regional talent this year. But I thought last year we had enough talent to be a Regional club and I’ll continue to believe that.
That's not what you were saying yesterday. You were very clear that you thought all we needed was a closer and our problems were solved. People got caught up last year in that if the team was a Regional team one year they automatically are the next. It was a very different team with the losses of two of the very best players in the country at two of the most important positions on the team. It also didn't have a pen. So it wasn't a Regional caliber team.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:45 am
greenphantom wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:38 am
Pierce and his staff coached up his teams. I’m not seeing that with this staff. Same damn mistakes every weekend all year.
They did coach them up but they also were working with better talent. As to this staff they definitely do not coach them up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 am At least we're less than 100 days to football!

+1,000,000
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 am
winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 am Well then you changed your mind since yesterday. Glad you've seen the light. Most also agree that we lack talent position player wise especially at catcher and SS.
I’ve always said this year we have two starters that can win. Nothing much behind that. Sunday’s are hitters day for most teams. We should be able to compete there. And midweek we have enough talent to beat most of the schools in state. We need a good closer, better pen and better coaching. (Read each series thread and you’ll see where I say “no bullpen again” almost every time). We don’t have Regional talent this year. But I thought last year we had enough talent to be a Regional club and I’ll continue to believe that.
That's not what you were saying yesterday. You were very clear that you thought all we needed was a closer and our problems were solved. People got caught up last year in that if the team was a Regional team one year they automatically are the next. It was a very different team with the losses of two of the very best players in the country at two of the most important positions on the team. It also didn't have a pen. So it wasn't a Regional caliber team.
I think a good closer would help us win. We blew many late game leads. I’m not necessarily saying that would have gotten us to a Regional this year. But we would have probably been a winning season. We’ll need at least a couple of middle relief guys that can throw strikes. It’s something that we haven’t seen from this staff. I believe unless Jewett brings us this or coaches and works with them up to do so we are going to have another losing season. It’s a given that every team in the country would desire more talent and pitching. A guy like Massey was a perfect example. Freshman All-American under Pierce but hasn’t be able to find that magic under this staff. I mean he gave us 9 or 10 wins that we missed last year. Had he alone just had his typical season last year we are in a Regional.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said glad you've seen the light. Desiring more talent is the norm but we didn't have much talent to begin with which is much different from others. As for Massey it involves more than coaching and I'm sure you're aware of that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I see little reason to expect a great influx of talent as long as the Jewett regime continues.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

The longer losing is tolerated the less desirable this job becomes. If candidates believe that the administration doesn’t care about the success of the baseball program you are not going to attract a decent candidate. Dannen has a serious decision to make regarding the 54 year step backwards we have taken these past two seasons. Like most, I see another losing season coming next year. The pitching staff and the bullpen need more quality arms. What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
netshorty
Surge

Show Me wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm The longer losing is tolerated the less desirable this job becomes. If candidates believe that the administration doesn’t care about the success of the baseball program you are not going to attract a decent candidate. Dannen has a serious decision to make regarding the 54 year step backwards we have taken these past two seasons. Like most, I see another losing season coming next year. The pitching staff and the bullpen need more quality arms. What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
Ditto basketball
GretnaGreen
Low Tide

What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
Ditto basketball
[/quote]

At Troy Dannen's last job, Northern Iowa, the baseball program was eliminated. I am concerned the same may be planned at Tulane.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GretnaGreen wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:26 am At Troy Dannen's last job, Northern Iowa, the baseball program was eliminated. I am concerned the same may be planned at Tulane.
Not a chance. TD would get run out of town on a rail if he tried it.
God Bless Everyone!
Show Me
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:59 am
GretnaGreen wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:26 am At Troy Dannen's last job, Northern Iowa, the baseball program was eliminated. I am concerned the same may be planned at Tulane.
For the record the three coaches he’s hired in the men’s programs are now going for 7 straight losing seasons. He ought to be run out of town for that.
Pepper
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:59 pm The longer losing is tolerated the less desirable this job becomes. If candidates believe that the administration doesn’t care about the success of the baseball program you are not going to attract a decent candidate. Dannen has a serious decision to make regarding the 54 year step backwards we have taken these past two seasons. Like most, I see another losing season coming next year. The pitching staff and the bullpen need more quality arms. What I’m most afraid of is that this is a death spiral that has formed and there’s no stopping it.
Very simply, if RJ or Pierce coached this current team we would not have had a losing season .
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:59 am
Really. No need for that type of drama.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 am
Very simply, if RJ or Pierce coached this current team we would not have had a losing season .
This team had less talent than 2014 so not true about RJ. As to Pierce we wouldn't have had a losing season but we wouldn't have gone to a Regional.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am
Pepper wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 am
This team had less talent than 2014 so not true about RJ. As to Pierce we wouldn't have had a losing season but we wouldn't have gone to a Regional.
I didn't say regional but one thing to remember is we would have been deeper on the mound if Pierce was still here.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.