Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
All of this. Tulane needs to be able to meet 100% of need for all students in order to truly be relevant (in sports and otherwise), but that would likely require at least another $1.5B in the endowment.
sounds like Tulane needs to change "investment counselors"....obviously the ones retained are doing a terrible job...may I suggest the group of Dowee, Reely, Cheetum and Howe....I am sure they can earn some quick returns
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am
sounds like Tulane needs to change "investment counselors"....obviously the ones retained are doing a terrible job...may I suggest the group of Dowee, Reely, Cheetum and Howe....I am sure they can earn some quick returns
haha. Unfortunately, it's not easy for a college to more than double its endowment - there is a reason that its endowment is where it is in the first place.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.
That's not correct. Baseball and need can't be stacked by NCAA rule which was revealed on this site last year and you agreed was true. As to Rice everyone went on about their scholarship program for Hispanics. It hasn't helped them. Graham was fired.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. It's all about the endowment. Unless Fitts is extremely successful with his fundraising campaign for the endowment the problem will persist.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 am
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.
That's not correct. Baseball and need can't be stacked by NCAA rule which was revealed on this site last year and you agreed was true. As to Rice everyone went on about their scholarship program for Hispanics. It hasn't helped them. Graham was fired.
Yes. Baseball and financial aid are a counter. My mistake. It did help Rice get a few good ones over the years though.
Here’s a good explanation of it and how wealthy schools have a decided advantage.
https://www.collegesportsscholarships.c ... cs-aid.htm
One roadblock is harder to get past some schools simply have more non-athletics aid to give than others. Private schools and schools with wealthy endowments would benefit the most. The only fix is for schools to start accepting more of their inherent differences rather than trying to legislate them away.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's what myself and others have said- the key is about increasing the endowment.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed nails this one!!!
AAC’s Bush League TV broadcast!
https://crescentcitysports.com/showing- ... sh-league/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed had Jonathan Banks in the studio live “In the Zone” tonight. It should be online soon. I post it when it does.
https://www.facebook.com/28607156822407 ... 515295301/
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good stuff. Thanks.

BTW, he's on from 1:46 to 8;00.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 am Banks “In the Zone” with Ed.
http://wgno.com/2018/06/20/tulane-quart ... portszone/
thanks for the link...I thought Banks did a very good job, he became more comfortable as the interview went along....I have a feeling about this year, will it be 12-0, no... but I just have a feeling we are going to see one of the most physical Tulane teams in decades..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks for sharing this, tps. I'm glad to hear Banks talk about the need to stay healthy and pick his spots where he's willing to take a big hit. I'm also glad he seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder after the final play of 2017.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am
Thanks for sharing this, tps. I'm glad to hear Banks talk about the need to stay healthy and pick his spots where he's willing to take a big hit. I'm also glad he seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder after the final play of 2017.
Banks also working the upcoming Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls State.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:35 am
I am starting to get a "good vibe" for this season, just like I had for 1997 about this time. I think it will be great if we show for this season we have overcome 16 years of Cow/Dick total incompetence and egomania in a mere 3 years under Fitts/Hertz/Fritz (I am stll not sold on Dannen).

And, I hope my feeling was correct that our last home game for 2017 against UH was a preview for the 2018 season.
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:35 am
I’m looking forward to seeing him (Banks) tomorrow night.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Watch Ed on Wednesday night 10pm he’s going to have Troy Dannen in studio on “The SportsZone”. Im sure the LSU baseball topic will be covered as well as media coverage regarding the Tulane program. Expect some new material to come to light. (Access to players being one).
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

For Eric Asher's Inside Sports last Friday night they talk about the end of the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry @ 36 to 43 minutes & then about Banks and Tulane's offense @ 50 to 51 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWLSYf0EnY

And, Chris Gordy looks like someone who went to LSU. :D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TD video “in the Zone” with Ed. Gives his side of the LSU baseball story.
https://wgno.com/2018/08/01/troy-dannen ... portszone/
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

TD sure does talk a good game. I loved it when he said that we are going to do what's in Tulane's best interest. 4 for 1, go home LSU, what a joke.....We did the right thing and I hope we are 1 and done for the Pontiff Classic. Let's win and don't go back.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Shrine is not a neutral site for that game. It is an LSU home game and they will control the tickets. When I spoke to him he didn't even know how many tickets we would get . It won't be many and they'll be crappy seats. We don't have a lot of subscribers to All-Access. It wasn't in our best interest to give up the one home game that generates a six figure profit. He's just trying to cover his ass. If we were standing up to them we wouldn't have agreed to play in the Pontiff game. It would have been home and home or nothing.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm The Shrine is not a neutral site for that game. It is an LSU home game and they will control the tickets. When I spoke to him he didn't even know how many tickets we would get . It won't be many and they'll be crappy seats. We don't have a lot of subscribers to All-Access. It wasn't in our best interest to give up the one home game that generates a six figure profit. He's just trying to cover his ass. If we were standing up to them we wouldn't have agreed to play in the Pontiff game. It would have been home and home or nothing.
+1, Dannen’s explanation he streamed the game because Tulane has a “national alumni” most of whom have no access to CST is total B.S. and laughable. How many out of state alumni really care about a weekday Tulane college baseball game, even against LSU? He streamed the game to make money off of LSU fans and we all know it

Dannen is right that LSU feels like it has nothing to win and everthing to lose playing Tulane and of late they just keep losing.

Now we need to prevent Dannen from making yet another big mistake, we need to make it plain to Dannen the fan base wants no part of the WPC, let it go back to LSU v. ULALA.

To date Dannen has been a disaster for Tulane baseball.
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:52 am
winwave wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm The Shrine is not a neutral site for that game. It is an LSU home game and they will control the tickets. When I spoke to him he didn't even know how many tickets we would get . It won't be many and they'll be crappy seats. We don't have a lot of subscribers to All-Access. It wasn't in our best interest to give up the one home game that generates a six figure profit. He's just trying to cover his ass. If we were standing up to them we wouldn't have agreed to play in the Pontiff game. It would have been home and home or nothing.
+1, Dannen’s explanation he streamed the game because Tulane has a “national alumni” most of whom have no access to CST is total B.S. and laughable. How many out of state Tulane alumni really care about a weekday baseball game, even against LSU? He streamed the game to make money off of LSU fans and we all know it

Dannen is right that LSU feels like it has nothing to win and everthing to lose playing Tulane and of late they just keep losing.

Now we need to prevent Dannen from making yet another big mistake, we need to make it plain to Dannen the fan base wants no part of the WPC, let it go back to LSU v. ULALA.

To date Dannen has been a disaster for Tulane baseball.
Wave755 you are 1000% correct. His answers were complete BS.
We all know that when Cox picks up the local broadcast rights then the ESPN stream is available free on ESPN3 outside the local viewing area. That would mean all those so called Tulane fans Dannen spoke of all over the country :lol: could watch our game on the free ESPN stream. The stream would be blacked out for locals but there’s a simple workaround for that as well. He really wanted to suck more money from LSU fans and now Tulane fans are screwed out of the best on campus atmosphere in Tulane athletics.
What a disaster he’s been for the baseball program.
nawlinspete
Riptide

"What a disaster he's been for the baseball program"... hoping he finishes itoff and ends the program.
Frees up 12 1/2 scholarships and their 'expenses!', frees up the land baseball wastes (think FB OPS BUILDING), intensifies focusing saving us from Division II or III (only FB or MBB are able to).
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
anEngineer
Riptide

There are several people on this site who need therapy for dilusional derangement.