ECU Wins theAAC Baseball Tourney

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If you're willing to blame the fact that our bullpen has been our weakest link all year, and blame that on the coaching, then yes, this was a coaching loss. But Roper gutted out 7 very strong innings and was sent out there in the 8th with nothing left in the tank. If we had a decent bullpen, he would have been pulled, and TJ would have used the pen similarly to the way ECU used theirs.

The bullpen cost the Green Wave this game, simply by being so unreliable for 4 months. Had TJ gone to the pen, chances are we would have blown the game. ECU has a MUCH better pen, and won the game because of it.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm First off you're rarely if ever going to have a staff that can go 7 good innings every game. More importantly those guys were good but it took a bullpen to help get the game to them. One guy never has and never will be able to come in and close out every game. It's too simplistic to think otherwise. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of we have plenty of talent but we don't and this staff needs to step up the recruiting big time.
Hijack alert :oops:
Friday and Saturday Gillies and Roper are good enough to keep us in it through 7 innings. If not every game but most games. Sunday and midweek are less about 7 inning games. That doesn’t mean they go 7 full innings each outing. Our problem has not been starting pitching or scoring runs.
Terribly wrong. They both started 14 times. They each went 7 or more 4 times. Roper had trouble early in games most of the year and couldn't go long. Gillies also tends to get into high pitching counts early. It takes a bullpen. It''s beyond ludicrous to say a team just needs one reliever. Try again.

Last edited by winwave on Fri May 25, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm First off you're rarely if ever going to have a staff that can go 7 good innings every game. More importantly those guys were good but it took a bullpen to help get the game to them. One guy never has and never will be able to come in and close out every game. It's too simplistic to think otherwise. I know it doesn't fit the narrative of we have plenty of talent but we don't and this staff needs to step up the recruiting big time.
Friday and Saturday Gillies and Roper are good enough to keep us in it through 7 innings. If not every game but most games. Sunday and midweek are less about 7 inning games. That doesn’t mean they go 7 full innings each outing. Our problem has not been starting pitching or scoring runs.
Terribly wrong. They both started 14 times. They each went 7 or more 4 times. Roper had trouble early in games most of the year and couldn't go long. Gillies also tends to get into high pitching counts early. It takes a bullpen. It''s beyond ludicrous to say a team just needs one reliever. Try again.
I don’t want to continue the hijack we can agree to disagree.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 pm
No. You don't want to admit how blatantly and embarisngly wrong you are. Again. each started 14 times and both only went 7 or more 4 times. Not even close to what you claimed.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We need a lot of everything.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:26 pm We need a lot of everything.
THIS !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:07 pm
No. You don't want to admit how blatantly and embarisngly wrong you are. Again. each started 14 times and both only went 7 or more 4 times. Not even close to what you claimed.
Ok. I guess you can’t even agree to disagree. We have a difference of opinion here and that’s ok.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:07 pm
Ok. I guess you can’t even agree to disagree. We have a difference of opinion here and that’s ok.
Nice try at putting the onus on me. This is about the facts. Again, each with 14 starts and each only going 7 or more 4 times each. Own it.
Pepper
Swell

The bottom line is we have a shitty coaching staff. Period end of story.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm The bottom line is we have a shitty coaching staff. Period end of story.
Wrong. We need players along with better coaching.
Last edited by winwave on Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm
Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm The bottom line is we have a shitty coaching staff. Period end of story.
Wrong. We ned players along with better coaching.
No you are wrong!!! You're not the Dali lama of baseball. I've shit more baseball than you have ever known. If he was such a hot shot recruiter we would have better players. These players are way better than what they are producing on the field.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm
No you are wrong!!! You're not the Dali lama of baseball. I've sh*t more baseball than you have ever known. If he was such a hot shot recruiter we would have better players. These players are way better than what they are producing on the field.
Neither are you and you are dead wrong here. Many recognize it but as usual when something doesn't fit your narrative you show up trying to scream people down. This isn't the yoggie site and you can't dictate what get's said and what doesn't. Scream and cry all you want but we need better talent and better coaching.

As for his recruiting he didn't get here till July so that year was done. This past class we got a good starter in Roper and one that looks like he's found himself as a starter in Johnson. Bates has flashed and could be a starter next year with better coaching. Pretty much everyone agrees that Pellerin is going to be good. Jensen and Ty Johnson are capable. He needs to greatly improve us at catcher and shortstop and we need outfielders. And of course we need several more arms in the pen. His approach was a good one in that he split the class between freshman and JC's. This next class needs to fill all those glaring gaps on this roster that anyone that knows anything about baseball can see or he may not get to bring in another one. The pitching coach needs to go and he needs to step up make that call.
DrBox
Riptide

Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm we have a shitty coaching staff.
The truth.
Houma de Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm
Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm we have a shitty coaching staff.
The truth.
I’m afraid this is correct and I do concur.
Pepper
Swell

Dude, go check every freaking thread you are on. You argue with everybody! And you have never have and will never admit when you are full of it. The guy can't coach. Sorry. He's in over his head. He might have been a good recruiter at Vandy but I'm not sure how much weight that carries. He came in like a horse's ass with the players and now he wants to be their best friend, He didn't hire a competent staff, doesn't really know how to handle pitchers, defense is atrocious and base running leaves a lot to be desired. Oh and I am not active on that site but I will say your know it all attitude is consistent on that site as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Complete BS. I have given proof that I'm right on these issues in this thread and the other baseball one. It doesn't fit your narrative so you make shit up. We agree that the coaching is bad. I have never said otherwise. I called for the pitching coach to get fired last year. I have called for it again this season. That doesn't change the fact that we also lack talent.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm
Pepper wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm
No you are wrong!!! You're not the Dali lama of baseball. I've sh*t more baseball than you have ever known. If he was such a hot shot recruiter we would have better players. These players are way better than what they are producing on the field.
Neither are you and you are dead wrong here. Many recognize it but as usual when something doesn't fit your narrative you show up trying to scream people down. This isn't the yoggie site and you can't dictate what get's said and what doesn't. Scream and cry all you want but we need better talent and better coaching.

As for his recruiting he didn't get here till July so that year was done. This past class we got a good starter in Roper and one that looks like he's found himself as a starter in Johnson. Bates has flashed and could be a starter next year with better coaching. Pretty much everyone agrees that Pellerin is going to be good. Jensen and Ty Johnson are capable. He needs to greatly improve us at catcher and shortstop and we need outfielders. And of course we need several more arms in the pen. His approach was a good one in that he split the class between freshman and JC's. This next class needs to fill all those glaring gaps on this roster that anyone that knows anything about baseball can see or he may not get to bring in another one. The pitching coach needs to go and he needs to step up make that call.
It may have been a good approach but the execution wasn’t very good. Of the 9 transfers brought in I’d say 5 of them produced nothing.
Jensen was good.
Ty Johnson ok
Trent Johnson and Roper were both extremely hit or miss. ERA’s over 4 and near 4.5 in college baseball are not good. Some of that was the defense behind them but I expected much better from the 2 of them. Too inconsistent.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I never said he nailed it. I think most would disagree about Roper. Days like today help raise your ERA even though you pitched a damn good game. That goes to what I've been saying about us not having a pen. Like I said above we need more arms. We also need better position players. The problem is twofold. There's a lot of work to be done and the clock is ticking.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 pm I never said he nailed it. I think most would disagree about Roper. Days like today help raise your ERA even though you pitched a damn good game. That goes to what I've been saying about us not having a pen. Like I said above we need more arms. We also need better position players. The problem is twofold. There's a lot of work to be done and the clock is ticking.
He didn’t have any other starts like this where he gave up a bunch of runs in the 7th or 8th.
He had bad starts against Cal St Fullerton, Long Beach, ECU, and Houston. They had nothing to do with the bullpen. That’s not even getting into the mediocre starts. Those were all pretty bad.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 pm I never said he nailed it. I think most would disagree about Roper. Days like today help raise your ERA even though you pitched a damn good game. That goes to what I've been saying about us not having a pen. Like I said above we need more arms. We also need better position players. The problem is twofold. There's a lot of work to be done and the clock is ticking.
He didn’t have any other starts like this where he gave up a bunch of runs in the 7th or 8th.
He had bad starts against Cal St Fullerton, Long Beach, ECU, and Houston. They had nothing to do with the bullpen. That’s not even getting into the mediocre starts. Those were all pretty bad.
I had already noted that his problems were usually early and was coming back to add that to my post. He actually has pitched a lot better since he fully recovered from the ankle injury he suffered against Houston. And as I said above most disagree with your take on him. He got better. Trent Johnson did too. He was trying much too hard early on. He finally came on here at the end. I would expect him to continue that improvement next year.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I never said that they didn’t get better. Johnson obviously did.
What part of my take on Roper do most disagree with?
All I said was that he was hit or miss. I’m not saying he was bad, I’m just saying that my expectations when we signed a San Jac ace were higher. He was fine but not a stud which is kind of what we needed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I said since early on he had issues early in games before settling in. As I just said he did better after the injury was finally healed so I feel good about him going forward. I think people get too caught up in saying things like just b/c he came from San Jac he should have been dominant from the get go. it's an adjustment. I think he's made it. We'll find out next year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I believe tomorrow's game will be on Cox again. The guide shows a 7 am game right now but we are in the stadium and with the changes made to the schedule I think they'll be carrying our game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Live Stream Tulane vs Houston
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981