#12 ECU Sweeps Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Good discussion. Outside of last year at least In the past 10 years we were in contention for post season before league play started. This year and last have been a disaster. Losing midweek games have killed all hopes before conference play. I’ll seriously consider dropping my season tickets for next year. If so, I’m probably going to drop down to a 10 pac plan next season. I’ve missed more than I’ve made this year. Bad baseball is not fun.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Jewett gets another year but (hopefully) will make changes. You can't fire a head coach after two years.

The thing to me is that the team is just not very likable to watch. Now, I am sure the players and coaches are all good people but they play a real bad game (walks, errors, baserunning problems, strikeouts, not executing etc.) I also don't like the "we need to look the same, "no (god forbid) ping pong tables" and Jewett's interviews are cringe worthy. He thought he would take the Vandy blueprint and just cut/paste it to TU, well this isn't Vandy nor is it the SEC.

Will it end well, probably not, but brace yourself for another year IMHO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am Good discussion. Outside of last year at least In the past 10 years we were in contention for post season before league play started. This year and last have been a disaster. Losing midweek games have killed all hopes before conference play. I’ll seriously consider dropping my season tickets for next year. If so, I’m probably going to drop down to a 10 pac plan next season. I’ve missed more than I’ve made this year. Bad baseball is not fun.

Like this season it was over with early in 2013 and 2104 also. Last year despite the horrid start we went on a good streak , got to .500 overall while also being at the top of the conference standings before the losing started again.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am Jewett gets another year but (hopefully) will make changes. You can't fire a head coach after two years.

The thing to me is that the team is just not very likable to watch. Now, I am sure the players and coaches are all good people but they play a real bad game (walks, errors, baserunning problems, strikeouts, not executing etc.) I also don't like the "we need to look the same, "no (god forbid) ping pong tables" and Jewett's interviews are cringe worthy. He thought he would take the Vandy blueprint and just cut/paste it to TU, well this isn't Vandy nor is it the SEC.

Will it end well, probably not, but brace yourself for another year IMHO.
I can (and often have) sat through torrential rain and watched our football team lose by a lopsided margin. Can't do it with baseball (even on a beautiful summer day). Guess that makes me a fair-weather fan. I gotta believe there are many who are more 'casual' baseball fans than me. We must get better or risk losing all fan support.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

i'm as big a jewett supporters as anyone which isn't saying much.....but you gotta make a pitching coach change. I'm sure pitching coahc is a great guy, but man our pitching is tough to watch. It's inevitable.

Cant have the friday night san jac pitcher come in here and not be dominant as he was at san jac. thats a lot of money sunk into him. Something is happening, either its pitch calling. bad mechanic changes to pitchers, bad catcher or all of the above. We need flame throwers.. We havent had one of those that pounds the zone since ian gibaut....who is now in AAA throwing 102mph i read recently!

To be fair though, he was not Jewetts first choice. Remeber Jewett hired a pitching coach from OU, it was announced and everything and tulane said no you cant hire him. I cant remember why though.
Wave755
Tsunami

We are now 22-27, with seven games left. We are 7-11 in conference with 6 conference games to go. Thank God Memphis is so bad, 16-32, 3-15 AAC. But, let's just hope Memphis doesn't sweep us this weekend at Turchin? We could still blow the tournament finishing the regular season @ UCF.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm
Show Me wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am Good discussion. Outside of last year at least In the past 10 years we were in contention for post season before league play started. This year and last have been a disaster. Losing midweek games have killed all hopes before conference play. I’ll seriously consider dropping my season tickets for next year. If so, I’m probably going to drop down to a 10 pac plan next season. I’ve missed more than I’ve made this year. Bad baseball is not fun.

Like this season it was over with early in 2013 and 2104 also. Last year despite the horrid start we went on a good streak , got to .500 overall while also being at the top of the conference standings before the losing started again.
Let me know when we get a coach that gets us to Omaha twice. I can’t wait!!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane fired Wally English after two years.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Let me know when we get a coach that can win Omaha. I can't wait!!!
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:37 pm
Show Me wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Let me know when we get a coach that can win Omaha. I can't wait!!!
I’ll settle for National Coach of the Year to start.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We could get one of those real cheap.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

In defense of our pitchers and pitching coach our official scorer has been way too generous giving hits when errors were made. Many of those “so called” hits led to runs that were scored “earned” instead of “unearned”. It also skews our fielding %. It’s a lot less than what the stats show. Because of that I place no value in any of our stats this season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 am In defense of our pitchers and pitching coach our official scorer has been way too generous giving hits when errors were made. Many of those “so called” hits led to runs that were scored “earned” instead of “unearned”. It also skews our fielding %. It’s a lot less than what the stats show. Because of that I place no value in any of our stats this season.
We agree that our official scorer has affected ERA"s. However what people are talking about here are the walks and hit batters that have nothing to do with the scorer and everything to do with our pitching coach as it has gone on now for two seasons with two pretty different staffs.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 am In defense of our pitchers and pitching coach our official scorer has been way too generous giving hits when errors were made. Many of those “so called” hits led to runs that were scored “earned” instead of “unearned”. It also skews our fielding %. It’s a lot less than what the stats show. Because of that I place no value in any of our stats this season.
We agree that our official scorer has affected ERA"s. However what people are talking about here are the walks and hit batters that have nothing to do with the scorer and everything to do with our pitching coach as it has gone on now for two seasons with two pretty different staffs.
Is he messing with their mechanics? If so maybe that’s a problem. Otherwise maybe a bunch on the staff just aren’t D1 pitchers. We have about a handful of pitchers that can be counted on. The others that can’t throw strikes need to be let go after this season.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

agree...but still have the worst score keeper in the country. this seasons stats need an asterisk literally and the scorekeeper needs to be replaced after this season.

Don't shoot the messenger, but i heard recently that a lot of players at msu were complaining about andy c. and they did not like him...in fact i was told they "hated" him. Again don't shoot the messenger, but the affair may have been the catalyst to make a change, but really not the underlying reason.....so who knows what was going on. Me personally, I kind of like it when the players don't like the head coach, many did not like Rick Jones either.

Honestly, this coaching staff could be really good....our hitting is good enough to get to a regional, i think we can all agree on that. Our recruiting classes for the next couple of years look to be on paper good enough to be perennial regional team. But we have one major weakness and thats worst pitching stats in the country. Fix that, and we may be onto something.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm
Is he messing with their mechanics? If so maybe that’s a problem. Otherwise maybe a bunch on the staff just aren’t D1 pitchers. We have about a handful of pitchers that can be counted on. The others that can’t throw strikes need to be let go after this season.
No one would have recruited these guys if they were that wild in HS. You can see that they have good stuff when they do get it over. Like I said it's two straight seasons with the same issues even though it's two pretty different staffs. He's gotta go.

He wasn't TJ's first choice. You can look at his prior teams pitching stats and =see that he's never done well anywhere he's been.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:52 pm
No one would have recruited these guys if they were that wild in HS. You can see that they have good stuff when they do get it over. Like I said it's two straight seasons with the same issues even though it's two pretty different staffs. He's gotta go.

He wasn't TJ's first choice. You can look at his prior teams pitching stats and =see that he's never done well anywhere he's been.
Some HS kids make the transition some don’t. The strike zones are much bigger in HS. Same goes for college compared to the MLB. Why is it that some can throw strikes but others can’t. I blame some maybe on the coach but at the end of the day the player has to be able to throw the ball over. The coach should sit them when they don’t. Then maybe some of it could be mental. I think a change will be made but I dont know that the results will be that much better.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like you I have been watching Tulane baseball for years and yet have never seen anything like this. That's on the coaching. Bringing him back ensures the same thing and no one wants to endure that. Thus a change must be made. If there's still no change then that's on the recruiting.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 pm
agree...but still have the worst score keeper in the country. this seasons stats need an asterisk literally and the scorekeeper needs to be replaced after this season.

Don't shoot the messenger, but i heard recently that a lot of players at msu were complaining about andy c. and they did not like him...in fact i was told they "hated" him. Again don't shoot the messenger, but the affair may have been the catalyst to make a change, but really not the underlying reason.....so who knows what was going on. Me personally, I kind of like it when the players don't like the head coach, many did not like Rick Jones either.

Honestly, this coaching staff could be really good....our hitting is good enough to get to a regional, i think we can all agree on that. Our recruiting classes for the next couple of years look to be on paper good enough to be perennial regional team. But we have one major weakness and thats worst pitching stats in the country. Fix that, and we may be onto something.
Still on board with giving him until 2020?
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

yes. pitching coach no. scoring same amount of runs we did in our last regional team so we are goo there. pitching is atrocious though. Fix that and we got something cooking.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Just a couple of small tidbits to put this into perspective. 2016 - Pierce is here. 2017-18 -- current staff.

Corey Merrill: 2016 - 4W,1L; 17 Appearances; 52.2 Innings; 18 Walks; 63 K's; 2.05 ERA
2017 - 6W,5L; 15 Appearances; 85.1 Innings; 46 Walks; 67 K's; 5.06 ERA

Ross Massey: 2016 - 10W,3L; 18 Appearances; 90.1 Innings; 18 Walks; 51 K's; 2.29 ERA
2017 - 0W, 8L; 12 Appearances; 35.1 Innings; 38 Walks; 21 K's; 9.68 ERA
2018 - 2W, 2L; 13 Appearances; 30.2 Innings; 21 Walks, 20 K's; 6.46 ERA

Sam Bjorngjeld: 2016 - 1W, 0L; 22 Appearances; 20.0 Innings; 9 Walks, 19 K's; 3.15 ERA
2017 - 3W, 4L; 21 Appearances; 54.1 Innings; 44 Walks, 30 K's; 5.80 ERA
2018 - 1W, 2L; 28 Appearances; 25.2 Innings; 13 Walks, 20 K's; 4.91 ERA

These were the only 2016 players with significant playing time that carried over after Pierce left.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 pm Just a couple of small tidbits to put this into perspective. 2016 - Pierce is here. 2017-18 -- current staff.

Corey Merrill: 2016 - 4W,1L; 17 Appearances; 52.2 Innings; 18 Walks; 63 K's; 2.05 ERA

Ross Massey: 2016 - 10W,3L; 18 Appearances; 90.1 Innings; 18 Walks; 51 K's; 2.29 ERA

Sam Bjorngjeld: 2016 - 1W, 0L; 22 Appearances; 20.0 Innings; 9 Walks, 19 K's; 3.15 ERA

These were the only 2016 players with significant playing time that carried over after Pierce left.
Ever heard of JP France?
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm yes. pitching coach no. scoring same amount of runs we did in our last regional team so we are goo there. pitching is atrocious though. Fix that and we got something cooking.
What if he keeps the pitching coach and we’re just as bad next year?

Our pitching in 16 was some of the best in the country, so while it’s nice that our hitting is on par with that year, for us to be a conference champion again we have to get a lot better
Houma de Wave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:55 pm
Houma de Wave wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 pm Just a couple of small tidbits to put this into perspective. 2016 - Pierce is here. 2017-18 -- current staff.

Ever heard of JP France?
Your sarcasm is duly accepted and understood.

JP France: 2016 - 6W, 4L; 19 Appearances; 75.2 Innings; 27 Walks; 67 K's; 3.33 ERA
2017 - 5W, 5L; 15 Appearances; 96.0 Innings; 30 Walks, 73 K's; 3.84 ERA

JP actually showed some improvement here, not so much there..............and then left for Miss. State

Thanks, P-Wizard.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:59 pm
RollWaveRoll wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 pm yes. pitching coach no. scoring same amount of runs we did in our last regional team so we are goo there. pitching is atrocious though. Fix that and we got something cooking.
What if he keeps the pitching coach and we’re just as bad next year?

Our pitching in 16 was some of the best in the country, so while it’s nice that our hitting is on par with that year, for us to be a conference champion again we have to get a lot better
If that happens, then i'll revisit next year and depending on progress or lack thereof will have to re evaluate the future and my timeline may get moved up one year.

What are your thoughts Wizard?
Yes or no

Fire Dannen?
Fire Jewett?
If no to #2, Fire Pitching Coach?
Hire Andy C.?
Like Rick Jones?
Like David Pierce?
Miss RD?