Saints are true partners of TU football?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
swampnik
Surge

Since Tulane and the Saints have the only official sharing relationship of facilities and such between a pro and college team in any city; why is there then not more interest from the Saints office in Tulane players come draft time?

Legends were on the team once back in the day but now nothing.
How can the Saints have shown no interest on everyone of these local talents since they play in their practice facility and have had first hand look-sees at them: Forte, Santos, Murray, Grant, Kelly, Darkwa, Hall, Moore, King, Losman, Nickerson, Jones and even Lee.

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

swampnik wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:26 pm Since Tulane and the Saints have the only official sharing relationship of facilities and such between a pro and college team in any city; why is there then not more interest from the Saints office in Tulane players come draft time?

How can the Saints have shown no interest on everyone of these local talents since they play in their practice facility and have had first hand look-sees at them: Forte, Santos, Murray, Grant, Kelly, Darkwa, Hall, Moore, King, Losman, Nickerson, Jones and even Lee.
It's not like college. It's a business. Agents rep players and scouts evaluate talent. Different years bring different needs. There are existing players. There are caps. Then there is a draft and slotted picks. Unless a player wants to bypass all of this and just sign with a team, it just doesn't work like that.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have use of the facility when they aren’t using it. You’d have to think they are out of town or doing other regular duties and aren’t in there scouting us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’ll add Saints owner Gayle Benson is on the Tulane Board. Drafting or signing FA Tulane guys is not related to being a partner. Ryan Griffin had a nice FA gig with the Saints for awhile. If there’s a Tulane player available and the Saints think they could use him he’ll probably get the call from the front office. They should have signed Cairo Santos for sure. They blew that one.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm I’ll add Saints owner Gayle Benson is on the Tulane Board. Drafting or signing FA Tulane guys is not related to being a partner. Ryan Griffin had a nice FA gig with the Saints for awhile.
Kinda my point. It seems that through the years the Saints office and coaches have had the local press to get the first feel and scouting reports for worthwhile prospects on their home turf yet have failed to scoop up any local TU product that shows promise to wear a Saints jersey.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm I’ll add Saints owner Gayle Benson is on the Tulane Board. Drafting or signing FA Tulane guys is not related to being a partner. Ryan Griffin had a nice FA gig with the Saints for awhile.
Kinda my point. It seems that through the years the Saints office and coaches have had the local press to get the first feel and scouting reports for worthwhile prospects on their home turf yet have failed to scoop up any local TU product that shows promise to wear a Saints jersey.
I’ll give them a pass. They draft for need usually first. They blew it not drafting Cairo because they needed a kicker at that point.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

First of all, most of the players you mentioned in your initial post were drafted. Players cannot just sign with a team, they have to go through the draft process then, if undrafted, they can sign as a free agent. There's 31 other teams in the league that have needs. EVERY team slots players at different tiers and may have picked a Tulane player before the Saints had a chance to draft him IN THE APPROPRIATE ROUND.. Certain teams, based on their needs, are more interested in players at a certain position.

Part of the job of the players' agents is to try to find them a place where they might stick. Griff and Elpheage both got preferential treatment by the Saints. And TPS is absolutely right in that the Saints have a business to run; the NFL is first and foremost a business. Yesterday, I heard a former player on the NFL network say that 95%, (then corrected himself to 99%) of NFL players would not play today's game if it weren't for the money. Do they love the game? Yes, but would they risk their future every week if it weren't for the money? Probably not in this day and age. I was shocked to hear it, but thinking about it later, can understand. Who wants to be mentally incompetent in their late 40's? Or who wants to give up their ability to walk by the time their in their 50's? The NFL is a great game (my second favorite sport) but it is all about the almighty dollar. And D1 football is not far behind, the NCAA refuses to admit it, though.

I have absolutely ZERO qualms about how the Saints treat Tulane players. They're Tulane friendly in many ways, be thankful for that.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

swampnik wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:26 pm Since Tulane and the Saints have the only official sharing relationship of facilities and such between a pro and college team in any city; why is there then not more interest from the Saints office in Tulane players come draft time?

The Saints had Royce Lafrance on the practice squad recently. They also Had Derrick Strozier on the team for preseason.
They don’t owe our guys anything.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm
First of all, most of the players you mentioned in your initial post were drafted. Players cannot just sign with a team, they have to go through the draft process then, if undrafted, they can sign as a free agent. There's 31 other teams in the league that have needs. EVERY team slots players at different tiers and may have picked a Tulane player before the Saints had a chance to draft him IN THE APPROPRIATE ROUND.. Certain teams, based on their needs, are more interested in players at a certain position.

Part of the job of the players' agents is to try to find them a place where they might stick. Griff and Elpheage both got preferential treatment by the Saints. And TPS is absolutely right in that the Saints have a business to run; the NFL is first and foremost a business. Yesterday, I heard a former player on the NFL network say that 95%, (then corrected himself to 99%) of NFL players would not play today's game if it weren't for the money. Do they love the game? Yes, but would they risk their future every week if it weren't for the money? Probably not in this day and age. I was shocked to hear it, but thinking about it later, can understand. Who wants to be mentally incompetent in their late 40's? Or who wants to give up their ability to walk by the time their in their 50's? The NFL is a great game (my second favorite sport) but it is all about the almighty dollar. And D1 football is not far behind, the NCAA refuses to admit it, though.

I have absolutely ZERO qualms about how the Saints treat Tulane players. They're Tulane friendly in many ways, be thankful for that.
Yes. This.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm I have absolutely ZERO qualms about how the Saints treat Tulane players. They're Tulane friendly in many ways, be thankful for that.
God Bless Everyone!
IM42lane
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm

I have absolutely ZERO qualms about how the Saints treat Tulane and its players. They're Tulane friendly in many ways , be thankful for that.
Yes. This.
I agree completely. The relationship that the Saints and Tulane have go all the way back to the beginning of the Saints franchise. Tulane provided the Saints a decent stadium to play in from 1967 to 1975. The Saints and Tulane have had a GREAT relationship with each other for decades.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Truth be told they wouldn’t be a Saints or NFL franchise if it wasn’t for Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981