Spring Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Glad to do it. The tempo was very fast which made it hard for me to keep up with who was in or I would have better depth chart info. for y'all.

After reading "winwave's" post regarding the Spring Game... I am certain he is actually Ed Daniels !!!...and before anyone get's their bowels in an uproar, or their pantie's or jock straps twisted and begin's irritating their hemmeroids...it is meant as a compliment...if not,I would have called him Peter Finney !!!...Ed Daniels wants Tulane to succeed more than Tulane wants to succeed, and he does not mind calling them out...if Tulane was smart, he would be hired in charge of media relations, it may be the best hire since Terry Terrebone

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1795a.html

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
chain gang x man
Swell

It was a nice mild night with low humidity and a light southerly breeze. There were refs of course. They also had the new digital sideline markers which gave you the distance to go after each play.

I read an article in The Advocate where WF blamed the down makers as to why we couldn’t convert a 3rd and less then a foot

Coach this was a scrimmage for the chain crew also. The first time we saw these new down markers was about 45 min before the scrimmage began. The box that displays the yardage is too big, too bright and too low. It’s nearly impossible to have the two markers side by side when the disdance to gain is less then one foot. Hopefully these issues will be addressed before the season opener.
These markers will be on the Tulane side and will give the fans the down and distance on the field
Only Tulane, Nebraska and Notre Dame will use these boxes this year.
The yardage box is big enough to offer Tulane another source of revenue by selling corporate advertising space. “This yardage box is the official box of XYZ company” :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was confused by his remark. I thought they were helpful.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Anybody know the attendance? (Not counting the teams, officials, etc.)
Wave QB
Swell

WW, thanks for the great report once again.

Dear Lord,

Please allow our starting Qb to remain healthy for every game this season.

Amen.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You're welcome WQB. We are all praying hard.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I was there, and haven't commented because I just got back from French Quarter Festival. Great music, great food and a great time in America's Best City.

Some of my takeaways: The punting game was not good at all. WIth only the long snapper, the punter and a return man on the field, the punts were generally 35-40 yards from line of scrimmage to the catch. The one punt that was shanked it looked like Block was experimenting with an Aussie type running-kick and it was downright ugly. One punt might have reached 45 yards, but most didn't reach 40.

The backup QB's were ineffective.

The D line was pretty impressive, given the lack of experience there. The secondary, for the most part, had good coverage. Bradwell is an absolute stud, and showed good speed for a man his size. Corey Dauphine showed acceleration I haven't seen in a Tulane RB in a while, and Banks showed some speed as well. If the O-line can come together, the offense could be pretty fun to watch. As many others have noted, we need to keep Banks healthy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

I agree. If our offensive line can step up, I think we will be going bowling. The offense could be finally be exciting to watch.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm Anybody know the attendance? (Not counting the teams, officials, etc.)
I don't know, but I would be surprised if it was more than 200-300. There were a good number of recruits there, all wearing Angry Wave badges!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:46 am
MicMan wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:26 pm Anybody know the attendance? (Not counting the teams, officials, etc.)
I don't know, but I would be surprised if it was more than 200-300. There were a good number of recruits there, all wearing Angry Wave badges!
I can't recall making an estimate, but I thought attendance was pretty solid considering all the factors involved. No worse than the previous two WF spring games.

One goofy thing is WF putting signs up that cell phone are not allowed. As if there are scouts recording the spring game to get an edge on Tulane. More importantly, you actually want recruits and family members to take photos/videos to promote TU football on social media for future recruits and to just promote TU in general. My point, I think WF's POV is short sighted and outdated.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

On top of that he won't let fans sit upstairs at these events. I get his not wanting to give any advantage to his opponent but with our situation with regards to not having anybody left coming to the games it seems like things need to be balanced out.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 am On top of that he won't let fans sit upstairs at these events. I get his not wanting to give any advantage to his opponent but with our situation with regards to not having anybody left coming to the games it seems like things need to be balanced out.
I don't know if that was Willie Fritz's call or the manager of the stadium. Maybe you do. But from a facility management perspective, there was NO need to open the upper deck (or frankly the short side of the stadium) and have to have additional people work those areas, including security. If we had a few thousand showing up, maybe, but we had a couple of hundred attendees, tops.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Myself and a former player went to sit up there last year. a Tulane football staffer told us Coach Fritz doesn't allow anyone up here. People want to be up there for the better vantage point.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:09 pm Myself and a former player went to sit up there last year. a Tulane football staffer told us Coach Fritz doesn't allow anyone up here. People want to be up there for the better vantage point.
I can understand that, but I can also understand not wanting to open the whole stadium for whatever reason when there's only a few hundred attendees (who didn't pay a penny for the privilege of being there.)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So open the part with the best view is my point. There wasn’t a lot of staffing there. Plus you if you’re going to do it do it right. Hopefully in the future the game will be scheduled for Saturday night at 7.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:55 pm So open the part with the best view is my point. There wasn’t a lot of staffing there. Plus you if you’re going to do it do it right. Hopefully in the future the game will be scheduled for Saturday night at 7.
I agree Saturday night at 7. And it should always coincide with FQF!

So you would have had the upper deck as the only seating area, ignoring the Glazer club? I enjoyed the Club and the seats (we were around the 30 yard line on the Turchin side in front of the Glazer club.)

I generally like to be higher up as well. My favorite seats in the Dome were section 614. Too bad they blocked that entire level off the last bunch of years in the Dome.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nope. Just saying that whole side should be open. Only Bama and a couple of others have to use the whole stadium.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 pm Nope. Just saying that whole side should be open. Only Bama and a couple of others have to use the whole stadium.

I agree.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 pm Nope. Just saying that whole side should be open. Only Bama and a couple of others have to use the whole stadium.

I agree.
:cheers: Which I wish we all could have done during and after the spring game together. I haven't looked forward to a season like I am now doing in a long time.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm
Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I agree.
:cheers: Which I wish we all could have done during and after the spring game together. I haven't looked forward to a season like I am now doing in a long time.
2013 was the last time I have been this excited. I felt going in that we had enough weapons on defense to win 8-9 games. We really should have done just that, but our coaching staff and offensive line had other plans.

This year, my heart tells me that our offense is going to be able to control the clock and win some games. For the first time since Griffin was calling the snaps, we will enter the season with some confidence at QB.