Tulane loses the USF Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Beat down over:

USF 14
Wave 3

White, Solesky, Price & Johnson combine to give up 18 hits.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:Beat down over:

USF 14
Wave 3

White, Solesky, Price & Johnson combine to give up 18 hits.
not too bad...each one basically threw a 4 hitter !!!...not to mention, that rotation is made for an episode of Law and Order or L.A, Law
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got this text: To the top of the 8th
8-7 Tulane
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Next text: Pen blows another lead. 10-8 USF Top 9th.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Final: USF 10, Wave 8.

USF scores 3 more runs in bottom of 8th to wins series.
capwave
High Tide

And we blow yet another late inning lead with jr high level relief pitching. This season has been so much fun!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Bullpen...Bullpen...Bullpen.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Combo of pen and starting pitching. None of our pitchers can handle any adversity. If the defense screws up they fall apart which is what happened to Gillies today. It happened to White last week when the outfielders let a pop fly fall in between them. It happens when they get squeezed by the ump which happened to Roper at LBS and White yesterday. There's no mental toughness. Been saying since last year that the pitching coach needs to go. I'd say TJ too but the reality is I doubt Tulane has the money for that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

I tip my hat to Billy Mohl. At least he knows how to tutor his pitchers.
Pepper
Swell

Boy the next 2 weeks might be even get uglier.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

I’m looking at the bright side. At least we can’t lose this Sunday. :oops:
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Halfway point of the season and 12 wins? Time to write off this season and Dannen should take a HARD look at Jewitt's ability to be a head coach. In my opinion, it become more clear each game and/or series that he IS NOT head coach material. He should be released at the end of the season......
Show Me
Tsunami

DaveBrownStreak wrote:Halfway point of the season and 12 wins? Time to write off this season and Dannen should take a HARD look at Jewitt's ability to be a head coach. In my opinion, it become more clear each game and/or series that he IS NOT head coach material. He should be released at the end of the season......
Pierce elevated the program immediately during his two year reign. So far Jewett has only lowered and marginalized what Pierce had accomplished. Giving him a 3rd year will only hurt the recovery process. I agree. He was hired because he had a “quality resume” but I always wondered why it took around 20 years to get a D1 head coaching job. Look at guys like Mohl, Riser, Cannizaro and UNO’s Dean just to name a few off the top of my head. They got head coaching jobs rather quickly.
Remember Dannen got rid of baseball at his last stop so he probably doesn’t consider it a big deal that the program is failing. My guess is that Jewett will be back for another season. He’ll just rearrange his staff. But from where I sit that’s only delaying the real fix. Then you have to wonder who Dannen would hire next? So far none of the three men’s sports hires have produced a winning season at the least.
galvezwave
Swell

Show Me wrote:
DaveBrownStreak wrote:Halfway point of the season and 12 wins? Time to write off this season and Dannen should take a HARD look at Jewitt's ability to be a head coach. In my opinion, it become more clear each game and/or series that he IS NOT head coach material. He should be released at the end of the season......
Pierce elevated the program immediately during his two year reign. So far Jewett has only lowered and marginalized what Pierce had accomplished. Giving him a 3rd year will only hurt the recovery process. I agree. He was hired because he had a “quality resume” but I always wondered why it took around 20 years to get a D1 head coaching job. Look at guys like Mohl, Riser, Cannizaro and UNO’s Dean just to name a few off the top of my head. They got head coaching jobs rather quickly.
Remember Dannen got rid of baseball at his last stop so he probably doesn’t consider it a big deal that the program is failing. My guess is that Jewett will be back for another season. He’ll just rearrange his staff. But from where I sit that’s only delaying the real fix. Then you have to wonder who Dannen would hire next? So far none of the three men’s sports hires have produced a winning season at the least.
I think Dannen was hired to fix football. The university had this thing built on campus and were stupid enough to think tailgating and oak trees would bring us all back no matter the product. They finally hired a builder whose organized and energetic to coach. All Tulane sports programs need to hire builders with a plan. Give Jewett a bunch of good players and I’m sure he’s fine. MD too. But can these 2 build something from scratch. Do they have the energy and desire. Can they overcome the Tulane bull**** and find a way around it. If we get to a good bowl this year and are able to lock fritz down afterwards, then Dannen has done his job. I liked the dunleavy hire but I think basketball needs some energy it’s not getting . Baseball has the wrong guy obviously but the administration needs to decide if it wants to be good at the sport again and have the stomach to make some changes. Otherwise even a good coach will have a hell of a time
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MD was hired because, if I am not mistaken, his wife is from metro NOLA, wanted to move home and was hired on the cheap side of head coaches...Jewett, came for a successful private school program, with $$$ resources Tulane can only dream of...I am not sure he is the correct choice, but for now, he is in charge...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: I think Dannen was hired to fix football. The university had this thing built on campus and were stupid enough to think tailgating and oak trees would bring us all back no matter the product. They finally hired a builder whose organized and energetic to coach. All Tulane sports programs need to hire builders with a plan. Give Jewett a bunch of good players and I’m sure he’s fine. MD too. But can these 2 build something from scratch. Do they have the energy and desire. Can they overcome the Tulane bull**** and find a way around it. If we get to a good bowl this year and are able to lock fritz down afterwards, then Dannen has done his job. I liked the dunleavy hire but I think basketball needs some energy it’s not getting . Baseball has the wrong guy obviously but the administration needs to decide if it wants to be good at the sport again and have the stomach to make some changes. Otherwise even a good coach will have a hell of a time
Dead on accurate post, galvez. I think one of the things that works against TD making a change with the baseball HC is that he probably over paid him, and the buyout would be too much for a sport that's not considered a revenue sport. Despite the bad publicity, the right move would be to bring Andy Canizzaro in at the end of the season and let Jewett go. I don't see Tulane making such a bold move, though.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote: I think Dannen was hired to fix football. The university had this thing built on campus and were stupid enough to think tailgating and oak trees would bring us all back no matter the product. They finally hired a builder whose organized and energetic to coach. All Tulane sports programs need to hire builders with a plan. Give Jewett a bunch of good players and I’m sure he’s fine. MD too. But can these 2 build something from scratch. Do they have the energy and desire. Can they overcome the Tulane bull**** and find a way around it. If we get to a good bowl this year and are able to lock fritz down afterwards, then Dannen has done his job. I liked the dunleavy hire but I think basketball needs some energy it’s not getting . Baseball has the wrong guy obviously but the administration needs to decide if it wants to be good at the sport again and have the stomach to make some changes. Otherwise even a good coach will have a hell of a time
Dead on accurate post, galvez. I think one of the things that works against TD making a change with the baseball HC is that he probably over paid him, and the buyout would be too much for a sport that's not considered a revenue sport. Despite the bad publicity, the right move would be to bring Andy Canizzaro in at the end of the season and let Jewett go. I don't see Tulane making such a bold move, though.
I think show me is correct. Dannen probably doesn’t give a flying flip about baseball. And that’s not entirely wrong. I truly believe he doesn’t understand how important winning baseball is to the Tulane fan base. I enjoy it. But I’d rather the big 2 be successful. And all that space turchin occupies is basically priceless .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I think show me is correct. Dannen probably doesn’t give a flying flip about baseball. And that’s not entirely wrong. I truly believe he doesn’t understand how important winning baseball is to the Tulane fan base. I enjoy it. But I’d rather the big 2 be successful. And all that space turchin occupies is basically priceless .
I spoke to TD about moving Turchin to the property on Jeff Hwy, to free up land for Football facilities, he told me Turchin will not be moving anywhere...on a side note, why not build the indoor complex on that land, it is about as far from campus as the indoor bubble the University of Texas @ Austin uses...hell the baseball stadium for UT is not "on campus" but on land across I-35 that was purchased in a (gasp) RESIDENTIAL area, I guess there were no NIMBY's to deal with
Pepper
Swell

I spoke to TD about moving Turchin to the property on Jeff Hwy, to free up land for Football facilities, he told me Turchin will not be moving anywhere...on a side note, why not build the indoor complex on that land, it is about as far from campus as the indoor bubble the University of Texas @ Austin uses...hell the baseball stadium for UT is not "on campus" but on land across I-35 that was purchased in a (gasp) RESIDENTIAL area, I guess there were no NIMBY's to deal with.
I would have liked to have seen Turchin flipped around with the backstop on the parking lot butting up to Claiborne.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

I had to laugh because the other board is tracking RPI for some bizarre reason.
The season is all over for practical purposes. The only reason to play it is to see if we qualify for the AAC tournament and where we are seeded if we qualify. We will have to win the tournament to get a bid. Going to be another losing season I’m afraid. It’s looking like another 1-3 week.
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote:I had to laugh because the other board is tracking RPI for some bizarre reason.
The season is all over for practical purposes. The only reason to play it is to see if we qualify for the AAC tournament and where we are seeded if we qualify. We will have to win the tournament to get a bid. Going to be another losing season I’m afraid. It’s looking like another 1-3 week.
Great idea! Let's just call off the rest of the season. Nobody coould possibly become a better player or gain any good experience. Every school should just do that in every sport once the get 2 or 3 games below .500. Think of the injuries that would be avoided and the money not wasted on gameday costs.