SELA Whips the Wave 9-3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jake is a Tulane HOF’r. Was also player of the decade for CUSA. Besides being a 1st round pick he’s an All-American and a guy who bleeds green did a great job in his 2 years here recruiting for us. He only got to Miss St in the late summer and had no control over the current club. But the recruiting class he's bringing in is special and highly rated. Way higher than what we have coming in. Jewett tried to hire him last year but Jake decided to stay with his scouting service position. He’s a very capable coach that’s knows the Tulane situation.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:Yeah they are an amazing 13-13. One of them has already been fired and the other isn't far behind. We can do better.

I'll take their regular post season success over ours any day. Oh and at least they know when to fire a coach.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was a great player. Coaching wise not so much. That class that some heralded here had 2 losing seasons in 4. He inherited good hitters where he is. His job was not to mess them up.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
winwave wrote:Yeah they are an amazing 13-13. One of them has already been fired and the other isn't far behind. We can do better.

I'll take their regular post season success over ours any day. Oh and at least they know when to fire a coach.
Their post season success has always been better than ours no matter the coach. They were certainly right to fire him.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:He was a great player. Coaching wise not so much. That class that some heralded here had 2 losing seasons in 4. He inherited good hitters where he is. His job was not to mess them up.

LOL! Do you think Jewett is a good coach?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. Nope. That doesn't prove your point.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:LOL. Nope. That doesn't prove your point.

I was just curious because no matte what the subject or you are conversing with you always think your point is right and you have to get the last word. I really didn't see the need for you to disparage a great alum just so you can make your boy look better and to piss off the people who thought others should have gotten the job. And as far as baseball goes, you are out of your league. I'll give you football and basketball because I have lost total interest since Bowden and Clark left. (Tulane has a way of wearing its fans down.) Baseball is on the same path with the terrible coaching hire that was made. By the way, I spoke to 2 high schools coaches a few weeks ago and they think this guy is a joke. Can't teach fundamentals, poor motivator and can't recruit due to the hurdles in place by the University.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Didn’t disparage anyone. Just gave the facts. He was a great player. As a paid coach he’s subject to criticism. It’s your problem that you can’t handle that. Just because I say we can do better doesn’t equate to me saying I want him to stay on. I’m just saying when we make a change we need to cast a wide net. The self proclaimed experts like you were way off on your last choice.
Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote:Didn’t disparage anyone. Just gave the facts. He was a great player. As a paid coach he’s subject to criticism. It’s your problem that you can’t handle that. Just because I say we can do better doesn’t equate to me saying I want him to stay on. I’m just saying when we make a change we need to cast a wide net. The self proclaimed experts like you were way off on your last choice.
Wrong again. The facts are Andy Cannizaro was and still is a better baseball coach than Jewett, regardless of what happened off the field. And how do you know if AC had gotten the job, if any of that stuff would have happened. Jake Gautreau is regarded by many in the coaching profession as an outstanding recruiter. Go ask the local coaches down here if you know any of them. We also had a shot for Matt Riser. I'm going to assume you think Jewett was better than him too? I'm no expert but I can spot a loser coach. He's the one who isn't successful, his players get worse rather than better, concentrates on silly shit, and is always talking about having to motivate his players.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Your arguing things I never said. I'm as disappointed as everybody else. I said last season he needed to change pitching coaches. As to being better than Jewett that's typical Tulane low bar syndrome. Cheaters cheat. So yes it would have happened here. As for AC's coaching this was going to be his first year preparing a team for all of the offseason. It started out really bad and hasn't got much better. I have always liked Riser and was fine with him if he got the job. He'll have another chance at it. Unfortunately the advice he's received about demanding 100% funding of scholarships will be a deal breaker. Fact is many schools don't have that. The Advocate wrote a very long article on it last year. Many public schools don't have it. It's something many coaches have to figure out. Hopefully our next choice will be capable of that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Matt Riser never demanded 100 percent, all he wanted was something close to the Vandy/Stanford/Rice model. Same thing Jones and Pierce wanted. Jones was promised this by Cowen but unfortunately it never got done.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was bad advice. Tulane doesn't have the money those schools have. It's an issue for many schools. Also other schools are starting to build baseball only weight rooms and the such so we are falling behind facility wise. It's not going to get any easier. it's going to take someone special.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pretty special is what Riser has done at a double directional school with an average facility and below average budget in a league that gets no attention or notoriety.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree and was fine with him last time and will be fine with him this time. :cheers:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I agree and was fine with him last time and will be fine with him this time. :cheers:
He’s going to get some looks after this season I bet.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Pretty special is what Riser has done at a double directional school with an average facility and below average budget in a league that gets no attention or notoriety.

It's a shame we can't see the books. I'd bet we all would be shocked at the money this school has.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Pretty special is what Riser has done at a double directional school with an average facility and below average budget in a league that gets no attention or notoriety.

It's a shame we can't see the books. I'd bet we all would be shocked at the money this school has.
Yep
I’m told the admin will this year allow athletics to lose $15M in real cash over the revenue and that number has been no less than $9M for the last 15 years.

Ok - let's clear up a huge misconception on these boards and what I am going to say is a fact.
With the exception of baseball scholarship/ academic funding (of which the administration has done nothing to help) the university currently funds the major sports at a level we should be able to compete.
WBB has always been funded at a higher level than most D1 programs, obviously with the exception of the elite programs which produce significant revenue. WBB has a large budget.
MBB, with the exception of the facility ( which is can be fixed temporarily by going downtown ) is as well funded as 90% of the programs out there.
Football now gets everything that they want including high D1 staffing.
Using the response that Tulane can't win because the university is not committed to spending the money today is just not true.
Baseball with the exception of the scholarship issue and high tuition also has operating expenses at the highest level.
Tulane has a $50M + budget for only 16 sports, three of which are predominately non scholarship or fully funded. That per sport is very high in those rankings. For MBB, WBB, and FB, university financial support is not the problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In addition to that the facilities have to be improved to show a real commitment to change things. The long time losing coupled with the the facility issues hurts recruiting which is the lifeblood if any program.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:In addition to that the facilities have to be improved to show a real commitment to change things. The long time losing coupled with the the facility issues hurts recruiting which is the lifeblood if any program.
There is some merit to the concept that these two go hand in hand regarding recruiting. If you win, you can recruit with less than perfect facilities (see Boise St football). If you have great facilities, you can recruit even if you don't win (see Kansas football). But if you have neither, its almost impossible to recruit adequately. And if you can't recruit, then you can't win AND you can't get alums to donate to build better facilities. You've got to have one or the other or you're totally screwed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson