Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If the administration and the AD commit to winning basketball, Dunleavy will get us there. It's not an overnight fix, but can be done in 3-4 years. It's easier to do in a conference like the SEC, but can be done in the AAC, just not in one recruiting class.

Everything I read and hear online or on the game broadcasts tells me Dunleavy's recruiting is better year to year. Is there anything to refute what's being broadcast?

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:If the administration and the AD commit to winning basketball, Dunleavy will get us there. It's not an overnight fix, but can be done in 3-4 years. It's easier to do in a conference like the SEC, but can be done in the AAC, just not in one recruiting class.

Everything I read and hear online or on the game broadcasts tells me Dunleavy's recruiting is better year to year. Is there anything to refute what's being broadcast?
I can't refute anything, the recruits look fine but don't seem to address our weak spots (rebounding and general nastiness in the paint). Those road grader AAC wide bodies with the tree trunk necks will still pose the same problems next season (year 3)
rollinggreen
High Tide

It can be done but does Tulane want to win or just compete? Agree with the Tulane is it's own worst enemy. Stopped paying to go to Tulane sporting events many years ago and only go when given a ticket and that is less than 50% of the time. Tulane needs to give fans and potential fans a reason to go but as of yet, they have not.
Dave breslin
Swell

I’m much more optimistic with this regime than with the past. But that’s not saying much. In fact, I don’t think it could have gotten any worse than the ding dong nut sacks that ran it in the past. The statement that Tulanes biggest obstacle is Tulane is so true. I see some change for the better but time and winning on the field is the only answer. I too have lost that desire after being told to “go across the street “. Winning MAY bring back so many that we’re lost and Tulane can win. Other schools have shown that it can be done.
greenphantom
Swell

Tulane’s biggest hope is that the AAC is added to the P5. We shot ourselves in the foot way too many times to ever get added on our own.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

there are a few schools that at one time were total train wrecks and in some cases were going to drop Football ...Miami, Kansas State, Iowa State, Northwestern, Stanford, Wake Forest and a few more all did their audits and decided to get off the crapper and put on their big boy jock strap ... we now have to find out, if Tulane has any balls to protect...just a tidbit...while reading NOLA.com I found a baseball story on Loyola hitting 3 grand slams in one game, that was amazin' ...the more amazin' thing, finding out it cost 39,000 dollars (American) to go there
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

As I’ved Discussed before on this forum, I have taken on an almost apathetic attitude toward my beloved alma mater’s athletic department. I glance in at occasional results but find myself expecting and accepting losses without much feeling.
I am retired now after a fairly successful career and now have the opportunity to actively look for ways to support causes I feel strong about.
Despite the numerous mail and telephone solicitation from Tulane athletic representatives and with some level of guilt, I can’t bring myself over to the idea of supporting the Dept. I just see no evidence that the administration cares enough to commit to excellence but to the contrary is perfectly content to sit back, take what monies the conference generates without improving the results of the teams.
IMHO the next step in the development or lack thereof in Tulane athletics is a shot across the bow from the AAC threatening to do what the Big East did to Temple back in the day. Dig deep and ask yourself if or when that day comes, will Tulane commit more fully or accept defeat as we have predominantly seen over the years. I think we all know the answer.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:As I’ved Discussed before on this forum, I have taken on an almost apathetic attitude toward my beloved alma mater’s athletic department. I glance in at occasional results but find myself expecting and accepting losses without much feeling.
I am retired now after a fairly successful career and now have the opportunity to actively look for ways to support causes I feel strong about.
Despite the numerous mail and telephone solicitation from Tulane athletic representatives and with some level of guilt, I can’t bring myself over to the idea of supporting the Dept. I just see no evidence that the administration cares enough to commit to excellence but to the contrary is perfectly content to sit back, take what monies the conference generates without improving the results of the teams.
IMHO the next step in the development or lack thereof in Tulane athletics is a shot across the bow from the AAC threatening to do what the Big East did to Temple back in the day. Dig deep and ask yourself if or when that day comes, will Tulane commit more fully or accept defeat as we have predominantly seen over the years. I think we all know the answer.
The issue is how can Tulane truly compete with no money and an obligation to maintain academics? It's somewhat unrealistic. It would've been easier to build athletics first and then improve academics, but that route is not available.
Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane coaches have always played with a short stick. Only the stick gets shorter every year as the P5 grows. We needed a coach that already understood that. Jewett coming from Vandy was completely the opposite of a coach that we need. They get anything they need over there. I don’t know what Dannen was thinking.
galvezwave
Swell

Show Me wrote:Tulane coaches have always played with a short stick. Only the stick gets shorter every year as the P5 grows. We needed a coach that already understood that. Jewett coming from Vandy was completely the opposite of a coach that we need. They get anything they need over there. I don’t know what Dannen was thinking.
I truly believe the fight to get and keep Tulane baseball where jones got it was what nearly killed him. It’s a brutal operation. It’s not traveling the country looking for rich kids that want to play college ball. Keeping Tulane baseball relevant is a major undertaking that requires so much more than just knowing the game. There’s not many people out there for it. Not when you can go anywhere else and accomplish the same with a quarter of the effort.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I just looked at the remaining baseball schedule and I realistically see us finishing out the regular season at 24-31. Jewett will get a 3rd year but will be forced to replace some guys on his staff (pitching coach) most likely. Unless some of these recruits perform much better year 3 will be no different. Dunleavy will have his 3rd straight losing season next year and Willie Fritz is going to be close with a 6-6 if Banks stays healthy. If Banks goes down FB will have a 3rd straight losing season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:I just looked at the remaining baseball schedule and I realistically see us finishing out the regular season 24-31. Jewett will get a 3rd year but will be forced to replace some guys on his staff (pitching coach) most likely. Unless some of these recruits perform much better year 3 will be no different.
I really dont have the confidence he could select a good pitching coach and I'm not sure any pitching coach worth his salt isn't going to come here with a head coach on the verge of being fired in a year or two.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I just looked at the remaining baseball schedule and I realistically see us finishing out the regular season 24-31. Jewett will get a 3rd year but will be forced to replace some guys on his staff (pitching coach) most likely. Unless some of these recruits perform much better year 3 will be no different.
I really dont have the confidence he could select a good pitching coach and I'm not sure any pitching coach worth his salt isn't going to come here with a head coach on the verge of being fired in a year or two.
Excellent point and I agree 100%. But that will happen anyway I predict. If Jewett can’t get us to a regional next year he will be out then.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Excellent point and I agree 100%. But that will happen anyway I predict. If Jewett can’t get us to a regional next year he will be out then.
I agree.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
But TPS, what if we didn't win another game this year and finished 11-44 (.200) and call it a rebuilding year (cupboard bare, learning to HC on the job, whatever excuse we want to use). THEN, TJ leads us to an improved 25-30 (.455) season the next year (MORE THAN DOUBLING OUR WIN TOTAL). I mean, that's showing we're on the right path, right? And imagine if one kid went pro...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:I just looked at the remaining baseball schedule and I realistically see us finishing out the regular season at 24-31. Jewett will get a 3rd year but will be forced to replace some guys on his staff (pitching coach) most likely. Unless some of these recruits perform much better year 3 will be no different. Dunleavy will have his 3rd straight losing season next year and Willie Fritz is going to be close with a 6-6 if Banks stays healthy. If Banks goes down FB will have a 3rd straight losing season.
I agree with your take unfortunately. Though with regards to football with a healthy Banks our goal should be 8 wins. I'll take Hontas or Reginelli as AD. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I just looked at the remaining baseball schedule and I realistically see us finishing out the regular season at 24-31. Jewett will get a 3rd year but will be forced to replace some guys on his staff (pitching coach) most likely. Unless some of these recruits perform much better year 3 will be no different. Dunleavy will have his 3rd straight losing season next year and Willie Fritz is going to be close with a 6-6 if Banks stays healthy. If Banks goes down FB will have a 3rd straight losing season.
I agree with your take unfortunately. Though with regards to football with a healthy Banks our goal should be 8 wins. I'll take Hontas or Reginelli as AD. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: Don’t think they’d be interested though. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Anyway Lindsey Scott might still change his mind? :lolgreen: :lolgreen: :lolgreen:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
But TPS, what if we didn't win another game this year and finished 11-44 (.200) and call it a rebuilding year (cupboard bare, learning to HC on the job, whatever excuse we want to use). THEN, TJ leads us to an improved 25-30 (.455) season the next year (MORE THAN DOUBLING OUR WIN TOTAL). I mean, that's showing we're on the right path, right? And imagine if one kid went pro...
I can’t see us not winning at least 20 games. That’s bad enough though. I think in Year 3 you have to show you can get to post season. That is if you’re serious about competing at the highest level.
Tulane Class of 1981