SELA Whips the Wave 9-3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

93 views as of 8:21 AM and no comments. Baseball has silenced its' fans.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:93 views as of 8:21 AM and no comments. Baseball has silenced its' fans.
Yep. Even the negative ones. I’m still going to go tonight. It’s actually much closer for me to go to Hammond than Tulane. This game used to draw 100’s of Wave fans now only a handful go. I’m not too enthusiastic either since Riser and Latham have our number. They going for 6th straight over the Wave. And the Wave has lost 5 straight midweek games. :oops:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The article said that Johnson Is starting. TJ said on his show last night that it will be more of a Johnny Wholestaff approach b/c it is a short week as the USF series will begin on Thursday. He wants everyone available this weekend.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:The article said that Johnson Is starting. TJ said on his show last night that it will be more of a Johnny Wholestaff approach b/c it is a short week as the USF series will begin on Thursday. He wants everyone available this weekend.
Forgot that Thursday start. Easter weekend pushed up to free up Easter Sunday.
Tulane Class of 1981
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Mr. Dannen should quickly realize that he had made a mistake hiring Jewitt......
Wave755
Tsunami

Final: SELA 9
Wave 3

By the end of this season there won’t be 150 people still attending Tulane baseball games. Dannen will have no choice but to get rid of Jewett. This is probably our last chance to hire Matt Riser; he has earned his ticket to a major program. If we don’t hire him this year, we will have no second chance.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

I hope you're not insinuating that Tulane is a major program. So far every Louisiana team we played has beaten us. Why would he want to come to Tulane with "major" in house restrictions with recruiting. Matt has his eye on a bigger fish. Who knew that in Miss. St. job would open up so fast. Unfortunately our 15 minutes of fame ended 15 years ago.
Wave755
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote:I hope you're not insinuating that Tulane is a major program. So far every Louisiana team we played has beaten us. Why would he want to come to Tulane with "major" in house restrictions with recruiting. Matt has his eye on a bigger fish. Who knew that in Miss. St. job would open up so fast. Unfortunately our 15 minutes of fame ended 15 years ago.
Dave Pierce was a mere 2 years ago. And by the way, Kookingkajun, ULALA is 2-4 for "Mighty Sunbelt Conference" play.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

He got us to a regional..That does not make us an elite program.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got home from the game. It’s out 6th straight midweek loss. We looked like we were just going through the motions out there. No emotion. It looks to me like we don’t expect to win anymore. Misplayed another pop up in the infield. Same mistakes every game. Weak midweek pitching, lack of bullpen now we’re not hitting as well as we once were.
Riser’s teams run the bases aggressively and force pressure. They walk, steal 2nd, advance on a productive out or hit then score. 9 innings they scored 9 runs. We had one shot at a big inning and struck out with the bases loaded to end it. SELA’s closer comes in and throws 94mph strikes to finish us off. If we win 25 games I’d be surprised.
Tulane Class of 1981
BC Wave
Swell

I’m still going to reserve judgment until I see how conference goes for us —- we are (unextraordinarily) in second place in the AAC, but you’re right, T. Fielding miscues really reveal our lack of fundamentals. Plus, though weekend pitching has improved, our batting has regressed — not enough line drives and ground balls.

I hope and pray we can get two against da bulls.
Wave755
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote:He got us to a regional..That does not make us an elite program.
Actually we won 41 games in 2016, swept LSWho and eliminated Ole Miss from their host regional.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad I had a commitment that kept me from having to witness that. He wanted to save pitching for the conference series. Hope it pays off.
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Just got home from the game. It’s out 6th straight midweek loss. We looked like we were just going through the motions out there. No emotion. It looks to me like we don’t expect to win anymore. Misplayed another pop up in the infield. Same mistakes every game. Weak midweek pitching, lack of bullpen now we’re not hitting as well as we once were.
Riser’s teams run the bases aggressively and force pressure. They walk, steal 2nd, advance on a productive out or hit then score. 9 innings they scored 9 runs. We had one shot at a big inning and struck out with the bases loaded to end it. SELA’s closer comes in and throws 94mph strikes to finish us off. If we win 25 games I’d be surprised.
I went to the game also (traveled over an hour to get there) I was able to see into our dugout from where I sat and was shocked to see most of the team sitting on the bench. I can see into the visiting team’s dugout at Turchin and every team stand along the rail and shout encouragement to their teammates or raze our team.
This team has no emotion. They have become a reflection of the coach.
I looked into the SELA dugout and the entire team was standing and into the game. They are a reflection of their coach also. Riser went ballistic with the first base umpire on an attempted pickoff.
We need someone to step up and kick start this team now.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

kookingkajun wrote:I hope you're not insinuating that Tulane is a major program. So far every Louisiana team we played has beaten us. Why would he want to come to Tulane with "major" in house restrictions with recruiting. Matt has his eye on a bigger fish. Who knew that in Miss. St. job would open up so fast. Unfortunately our 15 minutes of fame ended 15 years ago.
Most of this. The Tulane job would put an up and coming coach at a disadvantage in terms of have a successful future - having success at either Tulane or at getting a better job.

Tulane needs more $$$. The current fundraising campaign is a good start, but the university is a long way from where it needs to be.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

kookingkajun wrote:He got us to a regional..That does not make us an elite program.
This program has the infrastructure and investment to be a contender year in and year out. We put more resources into baseball than 99% of private Universities in the nation. As a private University we face challenges with scholarships and high tuition. But this program should be top 25 every year, despite the obstacles.

Kookingkajun, you're trolling. You are not part of Tulane, so why do you say "us"? Troll on.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Troll On? Kiss my ass. Just because i don't post as often as most of all maybe it's because i have a life other than bitching about the program.
What infrastructure? a now out dated stadium. Hiring a head coach with no head coaching experience? Not all assistance can make it as a head coach. We've seen that time and time again in football. Not just Tulane but major programs too. (Charlie Weiss, great coordinator-terrible head coach.)
Tulane's biggest problem is Tulane. yes we have great academics but not athletic friendly majors. The transfer rule was a killer. If they had that rule in years ago we would've never had Owens, Deni (sp) and quite a few others that made it here starting at other programs that Jones was able to pluck away.
I will still listen to every game but at some point in your life to have to accept we have fallen and having a hard time to stand up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

kookingkajun wrote:Troll On? Kiss my ass. Just because i don't post as often as most of all maybe it's because i have a life other than bitching about the program.
What infrastructure? a now out dated stadium. Hiring a head coach with no head coaching experience? Not all assistance can make it as a head coach. We've seen that time and time again in football. Not just Tulane but major programs too. (Charlie Weiss, great coordinator-terrible head coach.)
Tulane's biggest problem is Tulane. yes we have great academics but not athletic friendly majors. The transfer rule was a killer. If they had that rule in years ago we would've never had Owens, Deni (sp) and quite a few others that made it here starting at other programs that Jones was able to pluck away.
I will still listen to every game but at some point in your life to have to accept we have fallen and having a hard time to stand up.
That "outdated stadium" is better than 95% of the facilities that D1 teams have. The money we pay coaches is more than most programs play with. Yes, the rule changes hurt our school, and yes, Tulane is its' own worst enemy (as it is in the much more important Basketball and Football programs.) But it's the one program that Tulane has (in my opinion made a HUGE mistake) tried to put forth as its' flagship athletics venture. And we've failed.

If my calling you a troll upset you, perhaps you might come here occasionally and post something positive, and not have a screen name that suggests you're something other than a Tulanian. And no, thank you, I won't kiss your kajun ass any more than you'll kiss my royal heinie.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
kookingkajun wrote:Troll On? Kiss my ass. Just because i don't post as often as most of all maybe it's because i have a life other than bitching about the program.
That "outdated stadium" is better than 95% of the facilities that D1 teams have. The money we pay coaches is more than most programs play with. Yes, the rule changes hurt our school, and yes, Tulane is its' own worst enemy (as it is in the much more important Basketball and Football programs.) But it's the one program that Tulane has (in my opinion made a HUGE mistake) tried to put forth as its' flagship athletics venture. And we've failed.

If my calling you a troll upset you, perhaps you might come here occasionally and post something positive, and not have a screen name that suggests you're something other than a Tulanian. And no, thank you, I won't kiss your kajun ass any more than you'll kiss my royal heinie.
It only became our flagship because we won so much in it and lost so much in the other two men’s sports for so long. The #1 ranking and two CWS appearances put Tulane in the national spotlight. Fans made it a flagship because we actually won consistently for years in that sport. The money spent on baseball was mostly raised by baseball people. It’s not the fault of the program that it did things needed to keep the program at the top. We had stability as well. Whereas basketball and football had numerous coaching changes over the years that were complete failures. Should baseball become a perennial loser Tulane fans will lose its lone flagship.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It became the flagship because Cowen intended on it becoming our flagship. We built a baseball stadium when the Athletics Department screamed for investment in the money sports: Football (indoor facility and/or REAL OCS) and Basketball (upgrade from a tiny and out-dated gym.) Yes, we won in baseball at the time the decision was made to build Turchin. But we also went overboard with baseball, at the detriment to the sports that matter.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
This program has the infrastructure and investment to be a contender year in and year out. We put more resources into baseball than 99% of private Universities in the nation. As a private University we face challenges with scholarships and high tuition. But this program should be top 25 every year, despite the obstacles.

Kookingkajun, you're trolling. You are not part of Tulane, so why do you say "us"? Troll on.
D- we have had success in baseball but the reality is it has never been a program that was top 25 every year. You don't have to be top 25 to make a Regional. Overall we are more a top 50 type program. The failures of the football and basketball programs has amplified what success the program has had.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:It became the flagship because Cowen intended on it becoming our flagship. We built a baseball stadium when the Athletics Department screamed for investment in the money sports: Football (indoor facility and/or REAL OCS) and Basketball (upgrade from a tiny and out-dated gym.) Yes, we won in baseball at the time the decision was made to build Turchin. But we also went overboard with baseball, at the detriment to the sports that matter.
The coaches we hired in football were content with facilities. Scelfo, Toledo and CJ had no interest in an IPF. Willie Fritz is content on using the Saints IPF as well. Jones wanted better facilities and faught hard to get them. Had he not he would have left. Tulane then and only then found the money needed for the Turchin rebuild to keep Jones. In basketball Finney and Dickerson were promised the Hertz Center for years but it wasn’t done until many years later after they were gone. Football is still underfunded and that has nothing to do with baseball and the Turchin rebuild that was completed 10 years ago. Football did get an $85 million new stadium but the investment has failed to pay dividends. By the time we do get an operations building it may be too late.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:It became the flagship because Cowen intended on it becoming our flagship. We built a baseball stadium when the Athletics Department screamed for investment in the money sports: Football (indoor facility and/or REAL OCS) and Basketball (upgrade from a tiny and out-dated gym.) Yes, we won in baseball at the time the decision was made to build Turchin. But we also went overboard with baseball, at the detriment to the sports that matter.
The coaches we hired in football were content with facilities. Scelfo, Toledo and CJ had no interest in an IPF. Willie Fritz is content on using the Saints IPF as well. Jones wanted better facilities and faught hard to get them. Had he not he would have left. Tulane then and only then found the money needed for the Turchin rebuild to keep Jones. In basketball Finney and Dickerson were promised the Hertz Center for years but it wasn’t done until many years later after they were gone. Football is still underfunded and that has nothing to do with baseball and the Turchin rebuild that was completed 10 years ago. Football did get an $85 million new stadium but the investment has failed to pay dividends.
I agree that baseball investment isn't what hurt football or basketball. However those football coaches weren't content with the facilities. They all wanted a better weight room, nutrition centers and the like. As I said from the beginning the money spent on the OCS should have been spent on those things we really needed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
The coaches we hired in football were content with facilities. Scelfo, Toledo and CJ had no interest in an IPF. Willie Fritz is content on using the Saints IPF as well. Jones wanted better facilities and faught hard to get them. Had he not he would have left. Tulane then and only then found the money needed for the Turchin rebuild to keep Jones. In basketball Finney and Dickerson were promised the Hertz Center for years but it wasn’t done until many years later after they were gone. Football is still underfunded and that has nothing to do with baseball and the Turchin rebuild that was completed 10 years ago. Football did get an $85 million new stadium but the investment has failed to pay dividends.
I agree that baseball investment isn't what hurt football or basketball. However those football coaches weren't content with the facilities. They all wanted a better weight room, nutrition centers and the like. As I said from the beginning the money spent on the OCS should have been spent on those things we really needed.
Yes. I meant Indoor Practice Facility only in responding to D’s IPF comment. Yes the weight room and new locker rooms has been a want for years from our FB coaches.
Tulane Class of 1981