Tulane loses to LSU 10-4

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:We had enough pitchers.
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
Yeah. There are just so many good arms hanging around Tulane's campus that could take the mound and prepare the team to play D-1 baseball. :roll:
It's just for a few innings now and then. Also, there are a myriad of former players and instructors.
You get so dramatic, as if they had no healthy arms. Even if they had 10 arms, that's about 100 innings a week to play with, that isn't enough? We frequently had minor league players, former players etc. come practice with us and that was freakin Massachusetts, I can only believe that there are a litany in the NOLA area. As for the talent, well I am sure there are plenty of TU students capable of catching a pitcher, hell I could catch if need be and I am an out of shape bum.

Profoundwizard
Swell

Exactly. They don’t have to just be hanging around campus. Alabama football had Trent Richardson practicing with them last year. If Jewett wanted to get the kids prepared he could have.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I never said that they could have but just like he could have brought in catchers, he could have brought in pitchers too
Pierce left late in the process. To try and gloss over the issue like that is nonsense.
Another excuse. Had he left early it would had made no difference. We had to get the anthem and airport stuff down before getting on the field. We had to shave. We had to lose our ping pong table, we had to lose our chairs in the clubhouse they were too comfy. On and on. This guy has an assistant coach for 18 years. Why is that? Like Pepper said he’s not a HC. CJ was a great assistant not a HC. I view Jewett in the same light. He’s not only losing to good teams but bad teams as well. There’s no way in hell UNO has better talent than us.
The truth never gets in the way of you spewing hate. LOL.
Yes. I hate losing and especially to LSU.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
Yeah. There are just so many good arms hanging around Tulane's campus that could take the mound and prepare the team to play D-1 baseball. :roll:
It's just for a few innings now and then. Also, there are a myriad of former players and instructors.
You get so dramatic, as if they had no healthy arms. Even if they had 10 arms, that's about 100 innings a week to play with, that isn't enough? We frequently had minor league players, former players etc. come practice with us and that was freakin Massachusetts, I can only believe that there are a litany in the NOLA area. As for the talent, well I am sure there are plenty of TU students capable of catching a pitcher, hell I could catch if need be and I am an out of shape bum.
Not a few innings now and then. Fall ball is a compressed period of time. A team normally has 18-20 healthy arms in the fall to practice with. We had 11. That's just a fact. As I have said throughout this thread there is a lot to legitimately criticize. I have done so. There's no reason to make stuff up to add to it.

Funny how when you first came here when legitimate criticism's were made of our athletic program you were all"all is well". Now you're jumping off the ledge. Oh the drama.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
glennc
Low Tide

Nobody on this team can throw strikes. I can understand if 1 or 2 had control problems but the whole staff is having problems which leads me to believe it is the pitching coach
Wavetrader
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Not a few innings now and then. Fall ball is a compressed period of time. A team normally has 18-20 healthy arms in the fall to practice with. We had 11. That's just a fact. As I have said throughout this thread there is a lot to legitimately criticize. I have done so. There's no reason to make stuff up to add to it.

Funny how when you first came here when legitimate criticism's were made of our athletic program you were all"all is well". Now you're jumping off the ledge. Oh the drama.
Look at what we have here; Win-W defending Tomato Face. What exactly can we legitimately criticize without you jumping in to defend this dumpster fire? This is an about face from you during the football season in which you questioned every move by Willie and the position coaches. You and MSDOS were the two main negative nellies and drama queens. As I stated then, there was notable improvement year-on-year and we should trust Willie's system and process. Very different with baseball in which we have a career assistant coach with questionable ability who has dismantled a decent program.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Look at what we have here; Win-W defending Tomato Face. What exactly can we legitimately criticize without you jumping in to defend this dumpster fire? This is an about face from you during the football season in which you questioned every move by Willie and the position coaches. You and MSDOS were the two main negative nellies and drama queens. As I stated then, there was notable improvement year-on-year and we should trust Willie's system and process. Very different with baseball in which we have a career assistant coach with questionable ability who has dismantled a decent program.
You need to work on your reading comprehension. I have criticized the staff and said the pitching coach should have been fired after last season. I have also said throughout this thread that there is a lot to criticize. As to WF I have always said he's the type of guy that has a chance to win here b/c when he see's the hurdles put up by Tulane he looks for ways over them and around them. I have consistently said his disciplined approach is something any coach here needs. Like many I criticized the over emphasis on the run. Lo and behold when we started opening up the offense and passing the ball we started winning games. I'm sure we'll pick up with where we left off with that. Nice try.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

There's a bigger picture here.

Unfortunately guys we could change coaches 20 times and it won't make a difference. It's no secret we can't compete with most universities for recruits due to cost and lack of aid and no help from our admin. We don't get the same players Lsu and ole miss gets anymore, really sad.....we just don't and it's because of money. We may get one, but one doesn't get you to CWS.

We need help from admin. Jewett has a plan, and he's recuiting light years better than what we have been doing the last decade outside of the 2013 class.

Just going to take some time, because frankly there is no other choice with what we have to offer recruits scholly wise. It's going to take 3-4 years and even then it might not work. We just don't have 30 full rides to give where you can correct the talent issue in one season. You have to allocate correctly and piece together over 4.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
Wavetrader wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I have criticized the staff and said the pitching coach should have been fired after last season. I have also said throughout this thread that there is a lot to criticize. As to WF I have always said he's the type of guy that has a chance to win here b/c when he see's the hurdles put up by Tulane he looks for ways over them and around them. I have consistently said his disciplined approach is something any coach here needs. Like many I criticized the over emphasis on the run. Lo and behold when we started opening up the offense and passing the ball we started winning games. I'm sure we'll pick up with where we left off with that. Nice try.
Pffft! Go back over this thread. Anytime someone posts something negative, you jump in to defend Tomato Face or advise them they don't know what they are talking about. Up is down, left is right. We are living in Bizarro world.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:There's a bigger picture here.

Unfortunately guys we could change coaches 20 times and it won't make a difference. It's no secret we can't compete with most universities for recruits due to cost and lack of aid and no help from our admin. We don't get the same players Lsu and ole miss gets anymore, really sad.....we just don't and it's because of money. We may get one, but one doesn't get you to CWS.

We need help from admin. Jewett has a plan, and he's recuiting light years better than what we have been doing the last decade outside of the 2013 class.

Just going to take some time, because frankly there is no other choice with what we have to offer recruits scholly wise. It's going to take 3-4 years and even then it might not work. We just don't have 30 full rides to give where you can correct the talent issue in one season. You have to allocate correctly and piece together over 4.
Ridiculous. All of it.
This team is poorly coached. Not fundamentally sound. And it matters. Ofcourse coaching matters.
Nobody is asking for us to make the CWS right now or even ever really. If Jewett had us as a solid Regional program, I wouldn't complain. Instead the team is dreadful. Non-competitive.
BTW you said after the first couple of weeks that this team was close. They aren't.

As for your characterization of Jewett's recruiting thus far, it's false. Perfect game has the 2018 class as the #51 class. That's right around where we have been in the 15,16 and 17 classes.
If he cant bring in top 25 classes every year, he will fail. So far he's not doing it and he's certainly not coaching up the guys he does have.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:

Ridiculous. All of it.
This team is poorly coached. Not fundamentally sound. And it matters. Ofcourse coaching matters.
Nobody is asking for us to make the CWS right now or even ever really. If Jewett had us as a solid Regional program, I wouldn't complain. Instead the team is dreadful. Non-competitive.
BTW you said after the first couple of weeks that this team was close. They aren't.

As for your characterization of Jewett's recruiting thus far, it's false. Perfect game has the 2018 class as the #51 class. That's right around where we have been in the 15,16 and 17 classes.
If he cant bring in top 25 classes every year, he will fail. So far he's not doing it and he's certainly not coaching up the guys he does have.
I'd be shocked if I said that we were close. I've been one of the few on here saying this going to take some time because it's a full rebuild due to not good recruiting by Pierce. I never seen any of the players before 3 weeks ago, no one had so I really doubt I said that.

I think our pitching is not good and better than we are performing. Probably not playing up to it's talent and potential level. That could be coaching. But I think it's opposite on offense and defense, I think we are performing above our talent level there....even though it's not where we want it to be.

Those classes are Inflated 25-50 spots with jewett additions of jucos to those classes. Pierce never had one above 75.....Never.

Agree on the top 25 class. Just don't know if its possible with offering 50% and having players fork up other 50%. We just don't have money to be perennial top 25 class. We could get one every few years, I think that is reasonable, but other 3 will be bad. Sorry it's not what you want to here. Jones said it, Pierce said it, gautraeaus said it, and Sean allen bolted before Pierce even left. It was reported on here that rider and cannizaro both asked for help during interview with dannen. All of those are not a coincidence. Like I said, hiring someone else won't change our recruiting.

Rick jones had not been to a regional In 7 years when he instructed Gautreau to go all in on one class....we didn't get to cws but it somewhat worked with aac championship. Jones just wasnt around to reap the rewards. Should've done it sooner.
Profoundwizard
Swell

After the Ole Miss series you said
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10101&p=174222#p174222
Roper looked fantastic. All of our starting pitchers looked good.

want to point out that Rowland is only hitting .216 but he accounts for HALF of our runs scored (9rbis plus his own 4 runs from hr = 13). The power of the homerun is what cost us this series, and at the same time really the only reason we were in it from offensive standpoint.

Homerun hitters can erase mistakes easily, and when you only have one or two there's not room for many mistakes. Those are erasers with one swing of the bat. Just my 2 cents.

I really like jewett and I think he's going to do great. This is yr one in my oppinion for him and his first class. like always, t's all going to come down to recruiting. Let's see if he can bring in some pieces this next yr To add to what we have and start to piece it together to go to omaha and be a perenial player.

After watching this ole miss series im actually really excited for the year. We are pretty close, just don't have much room for error right now. Just got to keep getting better as season goes.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote:After the Ole Miss series you said

want to point out that Rowland is only hitting .216 but he accounts for HALF of our runs scored (9rbis plus his own 4 runs from hr = 13). The power of the homerun is what cost us this series, and at the same time really the only reason we were in it from offensive standpoint.

Homerun hitters can erase mistakes easily, and when you only have one or two there's not room for many mistakes. Those are erasers with one swing of the bat. Just my 2 cents.

I really like jewett and I think he's going to do great. This is yr one in my oppinion for him and his first class. like always, t's all going to come down to recruiting. Let's see if he can bring in some pieces this next yr To add to what we have and start to piece it together to go to omaha and be a perenial player.

After watching this ole miss series im actually really excited for the year. We are pretty close, just don't have much room for error right now. Just got to keep getting better as season goes.
Lol you got too much time on your hands,good job!! Since you are going back, go back and read all my others saying how it's full rebuild and to have patience.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Ridiculous. All of it.

I'd be shocked if I said that we were close. I've been one of the few on here saying this going to take some time because it's a full rebuild due to not good recruiting by Pierce. I never seen any of the players before 3 weeks ago, no one had so I really doubt I said that.

I think our pitching is not good and better than we are performing. Probably not playing up to it's talent and potential level. That could be coaching. But I think it's opposite on offense and defense, I think we are performing above our talent level there....even though it's not where we want it to be.

Those classes are Inflated 25-50 spots with jewett additions of jucos to those classes. Pierce never had one above 75.....Never.

Agree on the top 25 class. Just don't know if its possible with offering 50% and having players fork up other 50%. We just don't have money to be perennial top 25 class. We could get one every few years, I think that is reasonable, but other 3 will be bad. Sorry it's not what you want to here. Jones said it, Pierce said it, gautraeaus said it, and Sean allen bolted before Pierce even left. It was reported on here that rider and cannizaro both asked for help during interview with dannen. All of those are not a coincidence. Like I said, hiring someone else won't change our recruiting.

Rick jones had not been to a regional In 7 years when he instructed Gautreau to go all in on one class....we didn't get to cws but it somewhat worked with aac championship. Jones just wasnt around to reap the rewards. Should've done it sooner.
Patently false on the claim that Pierce never had a class above 75. 2016 class was 57 and the 2015 class was 61. Those also didn't count JUCO guys like Dehart, Simms, Colletti, etc.
Also who are the JUCO's coming in for the next class. Must be awesome if you claim those class rankings are inflated by 25-50 spots by not including them. Seriously, there's no way it is inflated by 25-50 spots.
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:After the Ole Miss series you said

Lol you got too much time on your hands,good job!! Since you are going back, go back and read all my others saying how it's full rebuild and to have patience.
Or you could just be consistent?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jewett needs guys like this John Curtis pitcher. (And look at Cade Beloso) who switched from Tulane to LSU.
http://www.nola.com/prepsports/index.ss ... ill_r.html
You give those two full rides. No question asked.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Jewett needs guys like this John Curtis pitcher. (And look at Cade Beloso) who switched from Tulane to LSU.
Full rides? Not sure I agree.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Jewett needs guys like this John Curtis pitcher. (And look at Cade Beloso) who switched from Tulane to LSU.
Full rides? Not sure I agree.
Probably the only way you get the “LSU type player”. They probably going free there on TOPS.
Not sure what we offered Beloso but he switched to LSU at some point.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

The number of guys in the past 20 years that have had a full baseball scholarship at Tulane is probably less than 5. Maybe less than 3.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:The number of guys in the past 20 years that have had a full baseball scholarship at Tulane is probably less than 5. Maybe less than 3.
Right. It’s a thought though. You can’t miss on fulls. Has to be Owens or Aubrey types.
Preferably two way players like those two.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote:
winwave wrote:
Wavetrader wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Pffft! Go back over this thread. Anytime someone posts something negative, you jump in to defend Tomato Face or advise them they don't know what they are talking about. Up is down, left is right. We are living in Bizarro world.
I just call out the lies. There's no need for them. The fact is I have criticized the coaching in this thread and in others dating to last season. But the truth is wasted on the likes of you.
Bearwave
High Tide

No doubt the ridiculous cost of attendance hurts badly when trying to sign baseball players with only 11.7 or whatever it is now scholarships to go around. Tulane needs to do like Baylor and a few other privates do and have a program where every student is awarded some aid just based off of ACT or SAT scores. At Baylor you can get from $12,000 to 26,000 per year just based on how high you score and your class rank......it is a huge benefit and made the difference for me personally to afford my daughter going there. If a guy has a 25 composite (and they use super scoring) he would get $12,000 right off the bat then add whatever baseball can offer. It makes the amount the family is on the hook for much more manageable.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:No doubt the ridiculous cost of attendance hurts badly when trying to sign baseball players with only 11.7 or whatever it is now scholarships to go around. Tulane needs to do like Baylor and a few other privates do and have a program where every student is awarded some aid just based off of ACT or SAT scores. At Baylor you can get from $12,000 to 26,000 per year just based on how high you score and your class rank......it is a huge benefit and made the difference for me personally to afford my daughter going there. If a guy has a 25 composite (and they use super scoring) he would get $12,000 right off the bat then add whatever baseball can offer. It makes the amount the family is on the hook for much more manageable.
A 25 won’t even get you consideration of admission at Tulane much less academic money. The avg ACT score at Tulane is now a 30 approaching 31.
http://www.prepscholar.com/act/s/colleg ... scores-GPA
There's no absolute ACT requirement at Tulane University, but they want to see at least a 29 to have a chance at being considered.
I’ve known quite a few baseball players over the years that could have helped us but couldn’t qualify either academically or financially or both. (However football and basketball players only need to meet the NCAA minimum ACT requirements to get in school on a full athletic scholarship).
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Bearwave wrote:No doubt the ridiculous cost of attendance hurts badly when trying to sign baseball players with only 11.7 or whatever it is now scholarships to go around. Tulane needs to do like Baylor and a few other privates do and have a program where every student is awarded some aid just based off of ACT or SAT scores. At Baylor you can get from $12,000 to 26,000 per year just based on how high you score and your class rank......it is a huge benefit and made the difference for me personally to afford my daughter going there. If a guy has a 25 composite (and they use super scoring) he would get $12,000 right off the bat then add whatever baseball can offer. It makes the amount the family is on the hook for much more manageable.
A 25 won’t even get you consideration of admission at Tulane much less academic money. The avg ACT score at Tulane is now a 30 approaching 31.
There's no absolute ACT requirement at Tulane University, but they want to see at least a 29 to have a chance at being considered.
I’ve known quite a few baseball players over the years that could have helped us but couldn’t qualify either academically or financially or both. (However football and basketball players only need to meet the NCAA minimum ACT requirements to get in school on a full athletic scholarship).
Again Tulane's worst enemy is Tulane.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Again Tulane's worst enemy is Tulane.
That's been the case for almost 70 years now and unfortunately it looks like it always will be .