Tulane loses to LSU 10-4

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
anEngineer
Riptide

When you look at the bigger picture, you really have to wonder if Tulane can ever be highly competative again given the scholarship situation. The program has been in steady decline for 10 years through 3 coaches. Jones's last few years were terrible. Pierce had a little success but really didn't bring in any talent. Jewitt started with a weak roster; the names have changed but not the result.

Title 9 sacrifices NCAA baseball. With the restrictions, public schools are still affordable (especially with TOPS in Louisiana), but privates without huge endowments (like Tulane) are all fighting for the few kids who can afford $30-40K/yr to play baseball. We can't ignore the fact that this has happened under 3 different coaches. Who says a new coach will be any different? If so, who? I don't see any guarantee that Andy C would have done better here.

Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote:When you look at the bigger picture, you really have to wonder if Tulane can ever be highly competative again given the scholarship situation. The program has been in steady decline for 10 years through 3 coaches. Jones's last few years were terrible. Pierce had a little success but really didn't bring in any talent. Jewitt started with a weak roster; the names have changed but not the result.

Title 9 sacrifices NCAA baseball. With the restrictions, public schools are still affordable (especially with TOPS in Louisiana), but privates without huge endowments (like Tulane) are all fighting for the few kids who can afford $30-40K/yr to play baseball. We can't ignore the fact that this has happened under 3 different coaches. Who says a new coach will be any different? If so, who? I don't see any guarantee that Andy C would have done better here.
It makes it harder but your facts are incorrect. Jake Gautreux brought in the highest rated class we’ve seen since the the mid to late 2000’s era. Those recruits took us to 2 consecutive regionals and a few are still playing pro ball. IMO we squandered the talent we had last year and should at least had a winning season. I’d agree that getting to the CWS is now more difficult. But we should not accept losing seasons in baseball like we do all the other sports here at Tulane. Most can plainly see the drop off in coaching from Pierce to now. Jewett was supposed to be a great recruiter. I’m not seeing it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:
winwave wrote:It wasn't an excuse. Someone posted that this isn't a great LSU team. They may not be great but they are going to be damn good.It's like you saying Ole Miss wasn't any good. It's just trying to pile on what's already there. There's no need for it. It's agenda driven over the butt hurt you have over AC not getting the job. BTW, Jewett was the coach that beat that LSU team twice last year.
The only agenda I see is someone trying to justify a bad hire. As far as LSU goes, they always start slow while Manari tinkers with the lineup. And they really don't' care if we beat them. We are not competing for the same type of recruits. Tulane baseball is a dumpster fire. Period, end of story.
Completely false. I have offered criticism last season and this one. After last season I said the pitching coach needed to be fired. There's plenty to criticize without making false statements about our opponents and the such. That's all.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:It wasn't an excuse. Someone posted that this isn't a great LSU team. They may not be great but they are going to be damn good.It's like you saying Ole Miss wasn't any good. It's just trying to pile on what's already there. There's no need for it. It's agenda driven over the butt hurt you have over AC not getting the job. BTW, Jewett was the coach that beat that LSU team twice last year.
We were poorly prepared to start the season last year and should have at least had a winning record with a regional club returning. This year our record is the exact same as we get ready to start conference play. We made a bad hire. He’s supposed to be a great recruiter but I can recruit to Vanderbilt. He’s learning on the job as to how to be a head coach on the D1 level. He needs to “show me” otherwise. Just hate seeing my favorite sport being destroyed right before my eyes.
We were poorly prepared and that's b/c Pierce didn't leave much behind. We had no healthy catchers and not enough pitchers to scrimmage. Like I said above there has been plenty to criticize. People don't need to make things up in addition to that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

We lost to UNO please. We are talking about midweek games. We ended the game having our last 15 hitters retired. Need to quit with the excuses.
Last edited by Show Me on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

We had enough pitchers.
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
It’s agenda driven alright. The agenda is that we want to see the team win games. Jewett is putting a bad product on the field, therefore we want someone who can put a good one out. Simple as that.
That is what we all want. Like I said though people don't need to make things up in addition to the real problems. Baseball is a long season. Maybe it will end up being real long for us or maybe it turns around. I don't like what I'm seeing. Right now we are out two starting outfielders and it appears we have lost our starting first baseman again. It also appears we have lost our closer again. So the money would be on it being a long season for the wrong reason.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:We lost to UNO please. We are talking about midweek games. We ended the game having our last 15 hitters retired. Need to quit with the excuses.
LOL. I haven't made any excuses. But that won't stop your agenda driven drivel.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:We had enough pitchers.
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
Complete bullshit. We had 11 healthy arms in the fall. You can't break that into two teams and then scrimmage 5 times a week unless you don't give a shit about ruining the few arms you had. Like I said you don't have to make up lies. There's plenty to legitimately criticize.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’m certainly not making up lies. I never said they’d have to scrimmage 5 times a week, that’s something you came up with.
There were things Jewett could have done better to have the team ready last year. He didn’t do them.
Show Me
Tsunami

Injuries are part of the game. No excuse. We’ve had them for the last 40 years.
McWave
High Tide

Show Me wrote:
anEngineer wrote:When you look at the bigger picture, you really have to wonder if Tulane can ever be highly competative again given the scholarship situation. The program has been in steady decline for 10 years through 3 coaches. Jones's last few years were terrible. Pierce had a little success but really didn't bring in any talent. Jewitt started with a weak roster; the names have changed but not the result.

It makes it harder but your facts are incorrect. Jake Gautreux brought in the highest rated class we’ve seen since the the mid to late 2000’s era. Those recruits took us to 2 consecutive regionals and a few are still playing pro ball. IMO we squandered the talent we had last year and should at least had a winning season. I’d agree that getting to the CWS is now more difficult. But we should not accept losing seasons in baseball like we do all the other sports here at Tulane. Most can plainly see the drop off in coaching from Pierce to now. Jewett was supposed to be a great recruiter. I’m not seeing it.
"we squandered the talent...." I agree talent was squandered. TU should have gone further in 2016 post season with that talent. A top 25 class with DP's managerial skills should have equaled a top 16 team. I would have expected a super regional not a 2-2 regional. That top 25 recruiting class (2013) was 23-29 in the 2014 season. Point? Freshman are not normally impact players.

The best two players (Alamais and Rogers) of the JG (2013) recruiting class departed as juniors (after 2016 season) and where gone last year (2017). I believe JP France was the only drafted player from last years team and he transferred. (That's a head scratcher as well...he was a weekend started at TU. His playing time has been limited at MSU.)

I (like many) are not pleased with how this year is shaping up as well (and that's on the TJ) but the conference starts this weekend. I will hold off further criticism for now.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
It’s agenda driven alright. The agenda is that we want to see the team win games. Jewett is putting a bad product on the field, therefore we want someone who can put a good one out. Simple as that.
That is what we all want. Like I said though people don't need to make things up in addition to the real problems. Baseball is a long season. Maybe it will end up being real long for us or maybe it turns around. I don't like what I'm seeing. Right now we are out two starting outfielders and it appears we have lost our starting first baseman again. It also appears we have lost our closer again. So the money would be on it being a long season for the wrong reason.
The team wasn’t any good even if they were all healthy. Don’t give him that excuse. Be as hard on Jewett as you were on RJ.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:I’m certainly not making up lies. I never said they’d have to scrimmage 5 times a week, that’s something you came up with.
There were things Jewett could have done better to have the team ready last year. He didn’t do them.
It is a lie to say they could have scrimmaged the usual amount with that lack of arms. There's plenty to criticize. Stick to the truth.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
The team wasn’t any good even if they were all healthy. Don’t give him that excuse. Be as hard on Jewett as you were on RJ.
I didn't offer an excuse. I said it looks like it will be a long season between our poor play and now the injuries added on top of that. I have criticized TJ. Just b/c I don't participate in the lies about him doesn't mean I haven't been hard on him and his staff. Unfortunately there aren't any money people that are going to step up and pay the buyout. The best we'll get in the short term is him being made to fire the pitching coach.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I never said that they could have but just like he could have brought in catchers, he could have brought in pitchers too
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote:When you look at the bigger picture, you really have to wonder if Tulane can ever be highly competative again given the scholarship situation. The program has been in steady decline for 10 years through 3 coaches.
Let's not forget the effect on Tulane baseball for the change in the college baseball transfer rule which took place now more than a few years ago. Under the new rule a transfer must sit out a year and pay Tulane's tuition before again becoming eligible. The program under Jones began its downward skid beginning with the change in the transfer rule. Of late we have tried to have JUCOs fill the void left by the change of the transfer rule but to mostly disappointing results.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
I didn't offer an excuse. I said it looks like it will be a long season between our poor play and now the injuries added on top of that. I have criticized TJ. Just b/c I don't participate in the lies about him doesn't mean I haven't been hard on him and his staff. Unfortunately there aren't any money people that are going to step up and pay the buyout. The best we'll get in the short term is him being made to fire the pitching coach.
Despite his supposed creds, I don't think Jewett will be able to recruit good players or coaches. In the meantime, the Beat(down) Goes On. JP France left because he could--and that frankly probably says a lot about the Jewett regime, and what's going on in the locker and dugout.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:I never said that they could have but just like he could have brought in catchers, he could have brought in pitchers too
Pierce left late in the process. To try and gloss over the issue like that is nonsense.
Pepper
Swell

What can't be disputed is there was 14 new head coaches 2 years ago. Only 5 have a losing record (South East Missouri St, Villanova, Charleston Southern, Youngstown St and us). Do we really want to be in that group? When a coach, manager, boss, etc is in over his head, he starts analyzing insignificant things such as uniform appearance, walking in airports, etc. Some guys just aren't HC material. Nothing personal. Better for us to realize this now before we lose another recruiting cycle.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:I never said that they could have but just like he could have brought in catchers, he could have brought in pitchers too
Pierce left late in the process. To try and gloss over the issue like that is nonsense.
Another excuse. Had he left early it would had made no difference. We had to get the anthem and airport stuff down before getting on the field. We had to shave. We had to lose our ping pong table, we had to lose our chairs in the clubhouse they were too comfy. On and on. This guy has an assistant coach for 18 years. Why is that? Like Pepper said he’s not a HC. CJ was a great assistant not a HC. I view Jewett in the same light. He’s not only losing to good teams but bad teams as well. There’s no way in hell UNO has better talent than us.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Pepper wrote:What can't be disputed is there was 14 new head coaches 2 years ago. Only 5 have a losing record (South East Missouri St, Villanova, Charleston Southern, Youngstown St and us).
This is a shocking and disconcerting fact.

Wonder how many people, like me, didn't renew their season tickets after last year. My objective was not to 'punish' Tulane but rather to give myself the gift of not having to endure another season like last year. The way this one has started, it appears things will get worse before they improve. I am not expecting to see any coaching changes at the end of the season.

I will continue to renew my football and basketball season tickets even during tough times, but dadgum if I'm going to make myself miserable during baseball season as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
winwave wrote:
Another excuse. Had he left early it would had made no difference. We had to get the anthem and airport stuff down before getting on the field. We had to shave. We had to lose our ping pong table, we had to lose our chairs in the clubhouse they were too comfy. On and on. This guy has an assistant coach for 18 years. Why is that? Like Pepper said he’s not a HC. CJ was a great assistant not a HC. I view Jewett in the same light. He’s not only losing to good teams but bad teams as well. There’s no way in hell UNO has better talent than us.
The truth never gets in the way of you spewing hate. LOL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
Yeah. There are just so many good arms hanging around Tulane's campus that could take the mound and prepare the team to play D-1 baseball. :roll: