Tulane blows the SELA Game 13-12

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Preview:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/3/ ... h=baseball

The game is at 6:30. Solesky will get the start.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Gee, SELA has beaten us 4 games in a row I didn't realize that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Gee, SELA has beaten us 4 games in a row I didn't realize that.
Yep. Matt Riser has done that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another disappointing outing. I said after last season he needed to change pitching coaches. It's frustrating to sit there and know Solesky is someone who hasn't shown the ability to go deep in games. He didn't pitch in the fall due to back issues so he's behind on conditioning to boot. He can usually be trusted for 3 or 4 good innings but then usually runs into trouble. Yet he's at 72 pitches after 4 and instead of having someone warmed up we wait till he implodes and then the next guy isn't really ready and gets off to a rough start. Then there's the control issues across the board. I get loyalty but one can be loyal to a fault. As Tulane fans no one knows that better than us.

Hope Jensen is not hurt bad.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Same old story can’t hold a lead no pen.
Congrats to the official scorer finally gave errors out and both teams combined for 7 errors.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

I know Rick Jones did this sometimes, but I always really heard multiple times that David Pierce would talk to his pitchers like dogs. Pierce took it to another level. Pitching is a mentality, and Pierce didn't give those guys time of day....weren't important enough to say 1 word. If Pierce went to the mound, it was with profanity. Pierce would treat the position players like royalty though. Cater to there every need like it was a big league team. pos players could do no wrong, they were stars.

Not saying this is right or wrong but maybe there was something to the mental aspect of it. Granted he did learn from wayne graham who hates the world so it's probably proven method to get the most of the arms. I have no clue, just a thought though.

In 2016 when we led the AAC in Era and top 25 in the country in ERA. We also led the nation in shutouts with 13.....we didn't have any top draft pick type arms. We had Emerson gibbs, cory Merrill, jp france, and Ross massey, all were 88-90 guys and they led the conference. Pitching is a mentality more than people think and we don't have it right now.

Guess who led the big 12 in era last yr? In yr 1 UT went from fifth to first in era in the conference.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaxwave
Swell

It's time to admit that the rule changes regarding transfers and scholarship limitations combined with high tuition has done irreparable harm to Tulane baseball. The recruiting will never be as good as it once was and therefore we will be lucky to get back to a regional even occasionally. All after we put, what, $10 million into the stadium.
Baseball is now in the scrapper just like football and basketball.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote:I know Rick Jones did this sometimes, but I always really heard multiple times that David Pierce would talk to his pitchers like dogs. Pierce took it to another level. Pitching is a mentality, and Pierce didn't give those guys time of day....weren't important enough to say 1 word. If Pierce went to the mound, it was with profanity. Pierce would treat the position players like royalty though. Cater to there every need like it was a big league team. pos players could do no wrong, they were stars.

Not saying this is right or wrong but maybe there was something to the mental aspect of it. Granted he did learn from wayne graham who hates the world so it's probably proven method to get the most of the arms. I have no clue, just a thought though.

Man our pitching is no Bueno.
Not sure about what was said by our past coaches. Pierce was a great manager of his pitching staff. He knew when to make a move no waiting to see. He just knew. Besides mentality, pitching is also about good mechanics. Got to have both to be successful. With the current pitching staff it’s either a lack of talent or lack of coaching or both. If it’s lack of talent then we missed on recruiting and if the talent is there then it’s coaching we missed on. Pick your poison. Gibbs, France, Merrill all signed by Jake Gaut. Massey was a commit to Gaut. Solid recruiting there. All those kids could pitch.
With this pitching staff walks and HBP’s are on a record pace. You can’t win if you can’t pitch. We can’t score enough to overcome our lack of pitching.
We have 18 pitchers on the current roster and only a handful can be counted on. 13 games into the season and we still haven’t won a game against a team with a winning record.
Tulane Class of 1981
51WaveBG
High Tide

:( :( :( :( I fear that we are seeing the "death knell" of Tulane Athletics. Oh, we'll, TU will continue to stay in the AAC and be content to be the "bottom feeder" of the conference. The teams that we field seem to lack the ability or desire to win. What will we do with all the empty seats in our excellent baseball stadium and brand new football stadium? In the future, we may not be able fill the empty seats, even if we give away the tickets. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:It's time to admit that the rule changes regarding transfers and scholarship limitations combined with high tuition has done irreparable harm to Tulane baseball. The recruiting will never be as good as it once was and therefore we will be lucky to get back to a regional even occasionally. All after we put, what, $10 million into the stadium.
Bullshit. David Pierce went 2 for 2.
Pepper
Swell

We would have trouble being in the top 4 of college baseball teams in our own state.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Bearwave
High Tide

RollWaveRoll wrote:
Guess who led the big 12 in era last yr? In yr 1 UT went from fifth to first in era in the conference.

Point taken but Disch-Faulk is a graveyard for hitters. Very large dimensions and tough to hit homers in.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:

Point taken but Disch-Faulk is a graveyard for hitters. Very large dimensions and tough to hit homers in.
Not anymore. Pierce had the fences moved in last year for the 2017 season.
http://texassports.com/news/2017/1/27/b ... h=baseball
On the new playing field:
"Oh it's been great. I think the kids are excited about it. The turf is still playing a little slower than we want. We have some work to do on that which is kind of a work in progress. I'm so glad we were able to get the fences in and if you look at them, you can't really tell the difference until you step into the box."

On the shorter wall in left field:
"That's a little interesting new piece of the program that's definitely going to cause a different kind of play. And I think you'll find that with the fence. It's not just about the home run. It's about creating more balance in the game, but now the fence becomes part of the play where outfielders are going to have to make some decisions because the wall is still 10-foot."
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rough mid-week stretch for the bullpen! Give up the tying and winning runs on (separate) wild pitches on Tuesday, and get shelled on Wednesday, including a 5 run 8th inning when trying to protect a 3 run lead.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

to quote Casey Stengel..."can't anyone around here play dis game"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Gee, SELA has beaten us 4 games in a row I didn't realize that.
Riser wins his 5th straight over Tulane with half the resources we have.
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:It's time to admit that the rule changes regarding transfers and scholarship limitations combined with high tuition has done irreparable harm to Tulane baseball. The recruiting will never be as good as it once was and therefore we will be lucky to get back to a regional even occasionally. All after we put, what, $10 million into the stadium.
bullsh*t. David Pierce went 2 for 2.
Correct. I don’t get the Pierce hate. He’s done nothing but win at each stop. He’s never missed a regional as a head coach. Had he stayed at Tulane we would have made a regional last year. Jewett spent too much time in his first year with off the field stuff. He brought in a lot of JC bodies this year but unfortunately it looks like many can’t pitch at the D1 level. Very disappointing to see this.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I feel guilty for not renewing my baseball season tickets this year, but games with endings like the last two raise my blood pressure. I've read that of the four stages of learning, the first two are "suffering with the inability to recognize a cause" which evolves toward "suffering with the capability for recognizing a causal relationship for the pain". At least at home, I can turn the radio OFF and imagine a miraculous comeback.

Aggravating the situation, baseball games that are announced by Graff's fill-ins are hardly bearable, confused and confusing.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
bullsh*t. David Pierce went 2 for 2.
Correct. I don’t get the Pierce hate. He’s done nothing but win at each stop. He’s never missed a regional as a head coach. Had he stayed at Tulane we would have made a regional last year. Jewett spent too much time in his first year with off the field stuff. He brought in a lot of JC bodies this year but unfortunately it looks like many can’t pitch at the D1 level. Very disappointing to see this.
To be fair to Jaxwave, Pierce might just be an all-world coach and his results may not a representative of what Tulane should expect moving forward (unless Tulane is ever able to meet 100% of need).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The rule changed in 2008 so that’s 10 years ago. It makes it tougher for Tulane and high tuition schools for sure. Can’t miss on scholarship players but Stanford, Vanderbilt and others have seemed to find another way to continue winning.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
The rule changed in 2008 so that’s 10 years ago. It makes it tougher for Tulane and high tuition schools for sure. Can’t miss on scholarship players but Stanford, Vanderbilt and others have seemed to find another way to continue winning.
But those programs meet 100% of need and that's what distinguishes them from Tulane. Tulane doesn't have a large enough endowment and it utilizes the little scholarship money that it does have to offer "merit" scholarships instead so that it remains competitive in US News' metrics involving student quality.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
But those programs meet 100% of need and that's what distinguishes them from Tulane. Tulane doesn't have a large enough endowment and it utilizes the little scholarship money that it does have to offer "merit" scholarships instead so that it remains competitive in US News' metrics involving student quality.
Right. Tulane needs to raise its endowment for sure or lower it’s tuition.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Seems like Jewett has put together a Little League roster.
netshorty
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Seems like Jewett has put together a Little League roster.
What's not so funny is I looked at the box score (didn't see the game) this morning and 13 runs (6 unearned) on 8 hits, 9 walks, 2 HBP and thought the same thing. Especially the day after giving up the tying and then winning run on wild pitches. That was my son's 9 YO little league team when they first started kid pitch and couldn't find the plate. What a cluster f in the 8th with 2 outs...Walk, HBP, Walk to plate the deciding 3 runs without even putting the ball in play...
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Seems like Jewett has put together a Little League roster.
What's not so funny is I looked at the box score (didn't see the game) this morning and 13 runs (6 unearned) on 8 hits, 9 walks, 2 HBP and thought the same thing. Especially the day after giving up the tying and then winning run on wild pitches. That was my son's 9 YO little league team when they first started kid pitch and couldn't find the plate. What a cluster f in the 8th with 2 outs...Walk, HBP, Walk to plate the deciding 3 runs without even putting the ball in play...
ya mean Jewett is actually Coach Morris Buttermaker ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !