Tulane loses 8-7 to UNO

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Pelican Cup is back:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 49d09.html

The game will be on CST at 6:30.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

Gonna be chilly out on the Lakefront
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
GreenLantern
Riptide

GRAND SLAM BY SPOON in top of 8th puts Wave ahead 7-5!
GreenLantern
Riptide

A Tulane passed ball with a runner on 3rd allows UNO to tie the game in the bottom of the 8th. *sigh*
GreenLantern
Riptide

Unbelievable. A walkoff wild pitch gives UNO the win 8-7.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

GreenLantern wrote:Unbelievable. A walkoff wild pitch gives UNO the win 8-7.
Was wild pitch in books but should've been blocked easily. Anything in the dirt gets to the backstop all night.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another slow start gets us in a deep hole. Spoon got us out of it with his slam. Then our pitching collapses again. Bad loss.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Decent weekend starters after that it drops off. And the pen can’t hold a lead. Going to have to outscore teams to win. Pitching isn’t going to do it. SELA is a good hitting team they won tonite and come in at 8-5.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

For some reason every time we play at UNO the games almost last 4 hours. Ridiculous.
Tulane Class of 1981
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Beginning to lose confidence in Jewitt’s ability to manage his pitchers and be a head coach at this level.
Pepper
Swell

DaveBrownStreak wrote:Beginning to lose confidence in Jewitt’s ability to manage his pitchers and be a head coach at this level.
I was already there last year but tried to give him the benefit of the doubt this year. Sadly, those of us who knew it was a coaching hire mistake are watching it unfold.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Pepper wrote:
DaveBrownStreak wrote:Beginning to lose confidence in Jewitt’s ability to manage his pitchers and be a head coach at this level.
I was already there last year but tried to give him the benefit of the doubt this year. Sadly, those of us who knew it was a coaching hire mistake are watching it unfold.
Completely agree, very sad.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
anEngineer
Riptide

The Jewitt haters are still in force, but at least we don't have to hear about how much better Cannizaro would have been anymore. Jewitt may or may not end up being a good hire, but it's far from certain at this point. The self-loathing Tulane army will just never give an inch. It used to be funny to read but it has gotten quite tiresome.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote:The Jewitt haters are still in force, but at least we don't have to hear about how much better Cannizaro would have been anymore. Jewitt may or may not end up being a good hire, but it's far from certain at this point. The self-loathing Tulane army will just never give an inch. It used to be funny to read but it has gotten quite tiresome.
You’re wrong on the Jewett hate. People are more displeased with Dannen. Jewett being selected is not his fault. Travis is still learning how to be a head coach. If he can’t bring in talent he won’t win here. He’s not going to out coach the other side like Pierce could. Besides the mismanagement of the pitching staff he pinch hit for guy that was hot (I can’t remember but it think it was Artiques) for a guy that struck out when we had bases loaded. They only way to silence the critics is to win. It’s still early but I believe we are going to finish near the bottom on the AAC as predicted in the preseason polls.
galvezwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote:The Jewitt haters are still in force, but at least we don't have to hear about how much better Cannizaro would have been anymore. Jewitt may or may not end up being a good hire, but it's far from certain at this point. The self-loathing Tulane army will just never give an inch. It used to be funny to read but it has gotten quite tiresome.

What's not to loath?
Show Me
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:

What's not to loath?
Right. People hate losing. Only winning will silence the critics.
rollwave11
High Tide

Everywhere Jewett has been his strengths have been his ability to recruit and his ability to teach offense/hitting. Since he has been here his recruiting has been really good and our offense has been our strength. Our offense this year has been a pleasant surprise. He has added Coach Brian Harris to the staff this year who has done a great job with the defense. We have only made 1 error outside of our pitchers and catchers.
On the other hand, our pitching has been a disaster for 2 years. Last year our pitchers regressed from previous years. This year Jewett brought in a bunch of quality arms and they can’t throw the ball over the plate. I still believe Jewett can do great things here because of his ability to recruit at a school like Tulane. The previous staff could not do that. But if they can’t get this pitching staff figured out, he may have to make some changes.
Pepper
Swell

Not a Jewett hater. He's just not HC material. He inherited a solid program unlike football & basketball. What he doesn't have that the other coaches have is being a head coach on his resume. Maybe he will be come one over time. Learning on the job is not acceptable.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

rollwave11 wrote:Everywhere Jewett has been his strengths have been his ability to recruit and his ability to teach offense/hitting. Since he has been here his recruiting has been really good and our offense has been our strength. Our offense this year has been a pleasant surprise. He has added Coach Brian Harris to the staff this year who has done a great job with the defense. We have only made 1 error outside of our pitchers and catchers.
On the other hand, our pitching has been a disaster for 2 years. Last year our pitchers regressed from previous years. This year Jewett brought in a bunch of quality arms and they can’t throw the ball over the plate. I still believe Jewett can do great things here because of his ability to recruit at a school like Tulane. The previous staff could not do that. But if they can’t get this pitching staff figured out, he may have to make some changes.
Our fielding % is inflated. It’s been hidden by the lousy official scorer we have. I’ve seen every game and been at every home game. We made multiple obvious errors that were scored as hits. Hitting has been a pleasant surprise. Bullpen pitching has been a disappointment. We can’t hold a lead.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ya'll need to quit worrying about pitching, hitting and winning games. Our pants and socks all look nice and uniform. Give Jewett a couple more years, and we'll be ready to help with the Cannizaro resurrection--which should be ready to begin about then.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

What's not to loath?
I agree with that. When Tulane wins, you guys are very silent.
galvezwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote:
Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:

What's not to loath?
I agree with that. When Tulane wins, you guys are very silent.
I'd like to win in something to test that theory . But seriously, I'm trying my damnest to stay positive. My hope is dannon was brought in to get football on the front burner and get repaired. And it is the closest. But this winter/spring athletic season has been a huge letdown.
rollwave11
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:
rollwave11 wrote:Everywhere Jewett has been his strengths have been his ability to recruit and his ability to teach offense/hitting. Since he has been here his recruiting has been really good and our offense has been our strength. Our offense this year has been a pleasant surprise. He has added Coach Brian Harris to the staff this year who has done a great job with the defense. We have only made 1 error outside of our pitchers and catchers.
Our fielding % is inflated. It’s been hidden by the lousy official scorer we have. I’ve seen every game and been at every home game. We made multiple obvious errors that were scored as hits. Hitting has been a pleasant surprise. Bullpen pitching has been a disappointment. We can’t hold a lead.
I have also seen every pitch of every game and I do agree with you somewhat. Our outfield defense has been very shaky. LF will be like that all year with Kobi Owen out, making ty Johnson slide to RF. But our infield is really solid defensively. Sal does not have the flash and cannot make the tough plays that Steph could, but he is very solid. Steph made more errors on routine plays than sal does. Hoese and Artigues have played really well also.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

rollwave11 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I have also seen every pitch of every game and I do agree with you somewhat. Our outfield defense has been very shaky. LF will be like that all year with Kobi Owen out, making ty Johnson slide to RF. But our infield is really solid defensively. Sal does not have the flash and cannot make the tough plays that Steph could, but he is very solid. Steph made more errors on routine plays than sal does. Hoese and Artigues have played really well also.
Unfortunately pitchers and catchers are important in that they field their positions. Usually if they make an error it’s big.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I decided a couple of years ago that I would criticize coaching on strategy but not overall performance. When all programs struggle for years and years under different coaches, it's pretty obvious to me that the problem isn't necessarily the coach's fault. Tulane admin needs to look in the mirror hard if they want to find a solution; provided, of course, we think they care.