Basketball Conference Games - W Prediction

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

During the 18 Game Conference Schedule, How Many Wins Will Tulane Have?

No votes
1-2
No votes
3-4
11%
5-6
26%
7-8
42%
9-10
21%
11-12
No votes
13-14
No votes
15-16
No votes
17-18
No votes

Total votes: 19
GreenLantern
Riptide

Go on record with your bold prediction. Winner gets a trip to Didneyland. Loser (worst prediction) gets GOTULA.NET BASKETBALL GOAT-OF-THE-YEAR AWARD and widespread scorn from everyone.

I predict that we have one win and one loss against: Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, and ECU; we sweep USF; we lose all other games for a total record of:

W 6- L 12
NIT - NO
NCAA - NO

No it's not good. Yes, it's a seachange.

Jaxwave
Swell

I picked 9-10. Team plays hard.
galvezwave
Swell

I think we squeeze out 10. My hope is based on how the team played down the stretch last season. They gave everyone fits. I think this team is way more advanced than that one. How they handle adversity like a bad stretch of games will be key. I'm hoping to have a similar finish and maybe steal a game or 2 late.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I picked 7-8 conference wins. We may have an NBA offense (which I dislike, as I hate the NBA) but we also have an NBA defense, in other words, very little D. This team has a tendency to heave up a 3 way too early in the shot clock and doesn't threaten the rim nearly enough. We're a big team, but don't play big. Some nights we'll look good, other nights we're going to get our jock straps handed to us.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

Split with Tulsa, Memphis and ECU
Sweep USF
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

7 wins. Home wins: Tulsa, UCONN, USF, ECU and Memphis. Road wins: ECU and USF.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I went with 7-8. Another 7 non-conf wins, so a 14 win season. Definitely an upward trend.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

This is going to be — probably — the toughest league schedule we have played in 15 years maybe, since pre-2003 CUSA with Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, etc.

Losses: @Temple, SMU, @Memphis, @SMU, @ECU, Temple, @Tulsa, @Houston, Memphis, @wichita, Cincy, @UCF
Wins: Tulsa, UConn, Houston, USF, ECU, @USF

I’d note that the line between us being good enough to win 6 games and good enough to win 11-12 is actually pretty thin. It all depends on how tough we play on the road, and maybe weather our perimeter shooting can get us a home upset against Cincy, SMU, or Temple. But I’ll say 6 for now.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

my pick 5 to 6...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
netshorty
Surge

Any updated thoughts about how we'll do in conference this year? Last post on this was very early after just the 2nd game of the season. Now that we're 10 games in and just a few weeks away from conference games starting up not sure if 70% still believe 7 or more wins?

There are a lot of things that need to happen to come close to a .500 conference record but probably the most important is an increased contribution from the two transfers that we felt would provide good reason for improvement this year:

1. Cornish needs to find his game. He has really struggled with his shot and his flow within the offense. He forces too much which may be a result of him being frustrated with his own play. He's eating a lot of minutes to be unproductive on offense and his defense isn't a reason to keep him out there.
2. I don't get MD's use of Sehic. He's averaging only 19 minutes per game. He's been productive in his minutes but isn't seeing enough of them IMO.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But a 7-11 conf record isn't close to .500.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:But a 7-11 conf record isn't close to .500.
Closer than 3-15. But as the vote was for 7-8 and above, I think we'd at least agree that 8-10 is about as close to being .500 an 18 game schedule as you can get without being .500?
RobertM320
Green Wave

we probably should have grouped them differently. I agree that 8 is close, but if I had the choice I would have gone 7.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:7 wins. Home wins: Tulsa, UCONN, USF, ECU and Memphis. Road wins: ECU and USF.
Great minds think alike.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

7 wins. In the preconference we beat the teams we were supposed to beat, and struggled against the better teams.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:7 wins. Home wins: Tulsa, UCONN, USF, ECU and Memphis. Road wins: ECU and USF.
Great minds think alike.
:mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

You guys nailed it based on teamrankings.com analysis. Who needs all those numbers crunching algorithms when we've got you guys.

Easiest Remaining Games
Date Opponent Loc Win Odds
1/25 S Florida Home 87.1%
2/14 E Carolina Home 85.9%
2/17 Memphis Home 66.6%
2/24 S Florida Away 64.4%
1/31 E Carolina Away 62.3%
1/13 Connecticut Home 56.2%
12/31 Tulsa Home 53.7%
2/4 Temple Home 38.6%

7 games we're currently favored to win. A bit of a dropped off after those 7 (Temple at home is considered 8th easiest)...
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
You guys nailed it based on teamrankings.com analysis. Who needs all those numbers crunching algorithms when we've got you guys.

Easiest Remaining Games
Date Opponent Loc Win Odds
1/25 S Florida Home 87.1%
2/14 E Carolina Home 85.9%
2/17 Memphis Home 66.6%
2/24 S Florida Away 64.4%
1/31 E Carolina Away 62.3%
1/13 Connecticut Home 56.2%
12/31 Tulsa Home 53.7%
2/4 Temple Home 38.6%

7 games we're currently favored to win. A bit of a dropped off after those 7 (Temple at home is considered 8th easiest)...
Wow!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Considering we've won 4 conference home games in the 3 years we've been in the AAC, winning 5 this year at home and 7-8 overall would be a huge improvement!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Season winners will be determined by Sunday's game at UCF who should be favored by approx 6 points.

Leaders in the clubhouse are: GolfNut 5, NetShorty 5, OUG 6, GreenLantern 6. The prognosticator's trophy is at the engravers awaiting Sunday's final score.

Optimist awards: GalvezWave 10, JaxWave 9-10.
Pessimist awards: Two un-named pollsters selected 3-4 wins.

Like everyone else here, I wish it had been better. However, I am not terribly disappointed in the season and I believe we showed progress. If we don't enroll some very strong talent while also losing Frazier, next year may be a tough test.
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:Season winners will be determined by Sunday's game at UCF who should be favored by approx 6 points.

Leaders in the clubhouse are: GolfNut 5, NetShorty 5, OUG 6, GreenLantern 6. The prognosticator's trophy is at the engravers awaiting Sunday's final score.

Optimist awards: GalvezWave 10, JaxWave 9-10.
Pessimist awards: Two un-named pollsters selected 3-4 wins.

Like everyone else here, I wish it had been better. However, I am not terribly disappointed in the season and I believe we showed progress. If we don't enroll some very strong talent while also losing Frazier, next year may be a tough test.
Damn I'm dumb
GreenLantern
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Damn I'm dumb
It's never wrong to hope for the best when you're discussing Tulane sports (as long as you're not betting money). Not only that, but there's an old native American saying:
It's better to aim your arrow at a star and fall short than to drop it in your lap and puncture your private parts.
Come to think of it, maybe that wasn't a native American that said that. Perhaps it was my father. In any case, you get the picture.
DrBox
Riptide

2 days in a row he just sat there and while a pitcher imploded and took us out of the game.
I'm teetering back to my first instincts...