Melvin Frazier drafted 2nd Rd, 5th pick (35th overall)

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Melvin Frazier “steal of the draft”
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... pers-watch

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: I'm no expert. But it seems to me he got hurt on a clean play by a player that's not as big as most NBA players , fighting through a pick. Another year of growth and filling out his body to his frame would do him well .
As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I think the smart route would be to NOT sign an agent until after the draft, if he goes in the first round.
Thank you for pointing that out. Frazier needs another year to get stronger . There are BIG/HUGE bodies that run in the NBA. Frazier needs to CAREFULLY put on at least another 15-20 pounds of muscle before his body can withstand the pounding that goes on in the pros.
I think y'all are correct that Frazier could use another year of strength and conditioning but the NBA loves having tall lanky people like Frazier. His game and frame reminds me of Brandon Ingram. Regardless, any NBA strength and conditioning program is going to be light years ahead of what he can get at Tulane. I hope he stays, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Show Me
Tsunami

Frazier is only going to get better by playing against better competition (the NBA). He’s going to be a better pro because he’ll be surrounded by better players on his team. His game is perfect for the NBA. His wing spam of 7’2” is incredible for a 6’6”guy. At Tulane next year he’ll get a lot guys just trying to stop mainly him. In the NBA he will be able to flourish. Besides that there’s a couple of other “million” reasons why he won’t be back at Tulane next year.
Profoundwizard
Swell

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: I'm no expert. But it seems to me he got hurt on a clean play by a player that's not as big as most NBA players , fighting through a pick. Another year of growth and filling out his body to his frame would do him well .
As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I think the smart route would be to NOT sign an agent until after the draft, if he goes in the first round.
Thank you for pointing that out. Frazier needs another year to get stronger . There are BIG/HUGE bodies that run in the NBA. Frazier needs to CAREFULLY put on at least another 15-20 pounds of muscle before his body can withstand the pounding that goes on in the pros.
I don’t think Frazier had ever missed a game due to injury until now. I think you’re overplaying his need to get stronger. And as others have mentioned he can get stronger in the NBA. He will improve more if he spends next year in the NBA than if he spends it at Tulane. For our sake, I’d like to see him back but I understand that it’s not necessarily what is best for him.
galvezwave
Swell

We're not going to be good with or without him next year. Having a first round pick would be a more valuable recruiting boost than him contributing 18 ppg on a team that's not going anywhere.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Frazier is only going to get better by playing against better competition (the NBA). He’s going to be a better pro because he’ll be surrounded by better players on his team. His game is perfect for the NBA. His wing spam of 7’2” is incredible for a 6’6”guy. At Tulane next year he’ll get a lot guys just trying to stop mainly him. In the NBA he will be able to flourish. Besides that there’s a couple of other “million” reasons why he won’t be back at Tulane next year.
If he succeeds and stays with the NBA team that drafts him. There's no shortage of late first round and second round picks that never made it out of the NBA D-League. I just don't know that he's ready. Dunleavy knows better than any of those experts the project mock drafts or post on the boards like us. He'll steer him right, I just hope he listens to Coach Dunleavy and not to some agent or "draft expert."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Climbing higher. Now projected to be the 24th player picked in Round 1.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Melvin hints at going pro in his latest tweet. https://twitter.com/melvinjrrr/status/9 ... 6965152768
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Melvin hints at going pro in his latest tweet.
https://twitter.com/melvinjrrr/status/9 ... 6965152768
Has Tulane had any first round NBA picks other than John Williams? What round did "The Cutt" go in? Johnny Arthurs? Phil Hicks? anyone else?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote:
Has Tulane had any first round NBA picks other than John Williams? What round did "The Cutt" go in? Johnny Arthurs? Phil Hicks? anyone else?
Tulane has never had a 1st round basketball pick.
Hot Rod went 2nd round #45 overall to the Cavs.
Cutt went 2nd round #38, Arthurs 6th round both to the Milwaukee Bucks. Hicks remains the highest he was 2nd round #27 overall to Houston. Linton Johnson went undrafted but had a nice NBA career.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Cutt went 2nd round #38, Arthurs 6th round both to the Milwaukee Bucks. Hicks remains the highest he was 2nd round #27 overall. Linton Johnson went undrafted but had a nice NBA career.
Linton Johnson was pretty much a minimal sub under Shawn Finney and he ended up in the NBA. It's more proof of how coaching matters. Frazier is not an NBA pick under the previous administration.
swampnik
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Cutt went 2nd round #38, Arthurs 6th round both to the Milwaukee Bucks. Hicks remains the highest he was 2nd round #27 overall to Houston. Linton Johnson went undrafted but had a nice NBA career.

No. 27 in th draft would be 1st Round in 2018 for Hicks.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:

No. 27 in th draft would be 1st Round in 2018 for Hicks.
Yes. With expansion since that period. But it’s still 2nd round (10th player in that round selected). Using that same logic Arthurs wouldn’t have been drafted in 2018 since there are only 2 rounds. What’s really impressive is that Melvin is going to be one of only 60 players in all of eligible amateur basketball that will be drafted.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Just an FYI, the way I understand the situation is that you can attend the draft combine in late May and have two weeks (after the combine) to determine whether you want to stay in the draft. However, if you hire an agent at any point you must stay in the draft (which is criminal IMPOV).

So if Frazier hires an agent he is obviously gone. I hope he avoids hiring an agent and tests things both for his own and Tulane's benefit. If I had a guess, he is almost certainly leaving no matter if he is a late first round pick or second rounder. This is obviously a good and bad result for Tulane. With Frazier we could compete for the upper half of the league next year. Of course if he leaves it gives MD a pretty good chip to play with recruits but may set us back as the roster is very young.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here's how I understand it, and how it was discussed during the broadcast: If he doesn't hire an agent, he can be included in the draft and still come back if he doesn't like where he's drafted (or goes undrafted.) FWIW, the announcers talked about Frasier very little compared to their gushing about the Bearcats.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Here's how I understand it, and how it was discussed during the broadcast: If he doesn't hire an agent, he can be included in the draft and still come back if he doesn't like where he's drafted (or goes undrafted.) FWIW, the announcers talked about Frasier very little compared to their gushing about the Bearcats.
I don't know what they could have possibly said. it was basically a basketball clinic put on by Cincinnati. Tulane looked like the Harlem globe trotters "opponent "
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

One of the broadcasters was a Cincinatti alum, I believe. They talked about the All-AAC team, and no Tulane player was on their list. They very briefly discussed Frazier being the #29 ESPN draft board pick, and how much Reynolds improved, but not much talk about Tulane. Did discuss Dunleavy's painting talents (and not "in the paint" but actual artistic painting talents.)

I just don't think 6 weeks of great play gets him drafted. Come back for another year, put on some bulk, and put a full season playing at the level he played at before his chest injury, and he'll be MUCH better suited for the NBA. I would almost bet if he leaves, he plays very little, if at all, in the NBA.

Then again, I haven't watched a full NBA game in years. I just don't see him being that good against competition that BLOWS AWAY anything he's faced in college.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:Just an FYI, the way I understand the situation is that you can attend the draft combine in late May and have two weeks (after the combine) to determine whether you want to stay in the draft. However, if you hire an agent at any point you must stay in the draft (which is criminal IMPOV).

So if Frazier hires an agent he is obviously gone. I hope he avoids hiring an agent and tests things both for his own and Tulane's benefit. If I had a guess, he is almost certainly leaving no matter if he is a late first round pick or second rounder. This is obviously a good and bad result for Tulane. With Frazier we could compete for the upper half of the league next year. Of course if he leaves it gives MD a pretty good chip to play with recruits but may set us back as the roster is very young.
Agree with most of your take there. However it only helps Tulane if he is a first round pick and becomes a starter or gets consistent meaningful minutes every game as a rookie. If he goes in the second or doesn't get drafted it doesn't help us at all. I know MD is very confident in himself but the players we are recruiting don't know anything about him and he probably barely registers with their parents. He really needs a reality check on this most important issue and he needs to hire at least one recruiter to this staff.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Why does the media keep saying Mike Dunleavy is bringing in a talented class and posters here keep saying his recruiting stinks?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s something to consider: There’s 18,684 NCAA eligible players for the draft but only 60 total will be drafted and only 44 from the NCAA. Needless to say he’s going pro if he’s one of the 44.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -athletics
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Why does the media keep saying Mike Dunleavy is bringing in a talented class and posters here keep saying his recruiting stinks?
I don't know if it stinks or not . Research shows we beat out nc greensboro, Hofstra and Stetson for another wing and a 6-8 180 pound forward that would have suffered the same fate as out other forwards against those animals last night. The recruiting will have to elevate
Last edited by galvezwave on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Here’s something to consider: There’s 18,684 NCAA eligible players for the draft but only 60 total will be drafted and only 44 from the NCAA. Needless to say he’s going pro if he’s one of the 44.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -athletics
Nice stat but meaningless. Only first rounders get guaranteed money. Second round means nothing. Unless he goes thru their combine and they tell him he's a first round pick he should come back. He was extremely raw when he got here. He had been a center in HS for the most part. His game needs a lot of work and we've seen MD develop him and know he can benefit from more of the same. The bottom line is people are way ahead of themselves at this point. These are mock drafts. The NBA scouts will be the determining factor.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Why does the media keep saying Mike Dunleavy is bringing in a talented class and posters here keep saying his recruiting stinks?
Not sure what media you're talking about. if it's people calling our games they are saying what they need to to promote their product. Locally the press pretty much hasn't said much on it. Last years class was two projects. We got lucky with Daniels b/c of his injury situation. This years class looks better than that and we are supposed to add a shooter who they can't name b/c they have to wait till the April signing date. There just hasn't been a signing yet that has caught the fans or media's interest. Hopefully we start racking them up soon.