Tulane Sweeps Wright State Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Matt Rowland and Kody Hoese: Both got off the schnide with some big hits! Everyone who started Friday night has now scratched.

Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Well played games all weekend. We only made two E’s and both by pitchers on pickoff attempts.
I believe last year it took a few weeks just to win 3 games. Great start to the season. A tough weekend ahead in Oxford.

Solid performances all 3 games.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Ruski
Swell

Warren Nolan website ranks Tulane #43 in coaches poll and #2 in AAC. Good start to the season!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was a lot of fun this weekend. In baseball it's a long season but you have to like the positive vibes from this team. You can just feel and see the togetherness. Of course it takes a lot more than that to be a good team but it's an important part of the process. There are signs of talent there. We have some guys that can bring it on the mound. You can see the potential for some to be good hitters. The defense is solid with some spectacular mixed in. We swept a quality team that is well coached. It couldn't have been a better start. Let's keep it Rolling Wave.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Rowland to the rescue:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 83bc2.html
Interesting points in that article. Many times to be a successful coach you have to go with your gut or feel and hope it works out. I was wondering if coach Jewett was going to pinch hit for Rowland. I’m glad he stayed with him. I remember the struggles Micah Owings had early on during the 2005 season. He started slow due to an injury that caused him to miss much of Fall ball but coach Jones stuck with him throughout. Micah ended up leading the team in most of the offensive categories by year’s end. I’m hoping Rowland can do the same. I’m not comparing the two but it came to mind when Micah was striking out a lot when he first got here.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Big difference is Micah had an established history of success when he arrived at Tulane. He had an injury as you noted and the staff knew he needed time to heal. It was a no brainer to stick with him. Rowland has been given a chance early every year he's been here and started off horribly. Jewett decided to not pull the trigger too quick and it paid off today. Hopefully it leads to a great season for him but he has a lot to prove still.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bjorngjeld deserves to be recognized. He's been inconsistent in his time here. He had two really good outings this weekend. May that be a sign of things to come from him.

Does anyone know Gillies status? He got hit in the leg and stayed in after getting checked out by the staff. Then when he left it looked like he told the catcher he was done and the catcher let Jewett know.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Bjorngjeld deserves to be recognized. He's been inconsistent in his time here. He had two really good outings this weekend. May that be a sign of things to come from him.

Does anyone know Gillies status? He got hit in the leg and stayed in after getting checked out by the staff. Then when he left it looked like he told the catcher he was done and the catcher let Jewett know.
Gillies fine. Came out because he was on a pitch count.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know he was at his pitch count but the way his departure took place made it look like he might be hurt. He called the catcher to the mound. Then after they spoke very briefly the catcher called to the dugout to come get him out of the game. Hopefully he's fine like you said.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I know he was at his pitch count but the way his departure took place made it look like he might be hurt. He called the catcher to the mound. Then after they spoke very briefly the catcher called to the dugout to come get him out of the game. Hopefully he's fine like you said.
He’s just stalling to get the pitcher in the pen extra time. Watch it here: 1:24:00 mark.
http://tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Archi ... pe=Archive
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Watched it. The batter before Graf says Trent Johnson is plenty warmed up which is the way I remembered it. So it wasn't about stalling but he looked ok so hopefully he is.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Watched it. The batter before Graf says Trent Johnson is plenty warmed up which is the way I remembered it. So it wasn't about stalling but he looked ok so hopefully he is.
You asked and I gave you an answer. If you want to see it differently that’s fine. I’m not going to change your mind. Just answering your question. He was stalling. It’s a very common thing you do in baseball in that situation. We did it a bunch before changing pitchers all weekend. Any sign of injury and he’d been pulled right away especially this early in the season. He’ll be pitching this weekend vs Ole Miss unless he gets the flu.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was just discussing it with you. I know all about stalling. However we were warming up multiple pitchers at a time this weekend well in advance and never had to stall. All the other pitching changes that took place had the coach come out first. What I was pointing out was that this change was different with the catcher going to the mound first and then looking into the dugout. After the shot to the leg he took it was curious. No biggie.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I was just discussing it with you. I know all about stalling. However we were warming up multiple pitchers at a time this weekend well in advance and never had to stall. All the other pitching changes that took place had the coach come out first. What I was pointing out was that this change was different with the catcher going to the mound first and then looking into the dugout. After the shot to the leg he took it was curious. No biggie.
The other two games are paid only video so I can’t show you but the very next pitching change was no different and happens exactly the same way. The catcher comes out and stalls. The ump comes to the mound then our coach comes out. It happened all weekend because I was telling the guys next to me that there’s going to be a pitching change. The catcher comes out and stalls is a big tell. Proof it happened again 1:58:00 mark.
http://tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Archi ... pe=Archive
No biggie but it would be nice to admit for once you’re not correct or better yet just leave it die here.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You can only see the pitcher and catcher in the frames. Where I sit you can see the dugout well. In the Gillies change you see Owen come out and look into the dugout. TJ wasn't coming out but then he did. Owen stayed with Gillies the whole time. In the Johnson change you can see Owen talk to him and go back and then he see's TJ come out and he kinda looks surprised and goes back to the mound. If this was all about stalling you'd see the catcher come out and go back. Then the coach would come out and talk till the ump came and forced the situation. That's not what happened. Owen tends to go out and talk to the pitchers a good bit and there isn't a change every time.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:You can only see the pitcher and catcher in the frames. Where I sit you can see the dugout well. In the Gillies change you see Owen come out and look into the dugout. TJ wasn't coming out but then he did. Owen stayed with Gillies the whole time. In the Johnson change you can see Owen talk to him and go back and then he see's TJ come out and he kinda looks surprised and goes back to the mound. If this was all about stalling you'd see the catcher come out and go back. Then the coach would come out and talk till the ump came and forced the situation. That's not what happened. Owen tends to go out and talk to the pitchers a good bit and there isn't a change every time.
I tried my best to enlighten you but you obviously just don’t get it. If you get a chance watch the Ole Miss series it’s how Jewett pulls his pitchers. It’s very obvious to me at least.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Go back and watch both sequences. They are much different. In the first Owen just stays there looking into the dugout. It's over for Gillies. In the second Owen comes out goes back and TJ comes out. There is no stall as TJ had already made the call to the pen. if it's a stall you have the catcher go out, get called back by the ump, then the coach takes his sweet time walking out and talks to the pitcher at length till the ump comes back out and then he makes the call to the pen. Also in the audio both times Graf said our relievers were more than ready and he was right as both times the cap from the pen had been raised. If you said there was a pitching change coming every time Owen went out you were wrong a lot. By the end of the weekend some were complaining about how often he goes out to the mound. But hey your stuck on stalling.

The bottom line is this: there is no reason to stall when the cap has been raised and the pitchers in the pen have stopped throwing. The staff took advantage of our deep staff and had guys ready all weekend. Kudos to them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s pointless to go any further and try to answer any questions you may have. I did my best. I guess my experience of many years playing the game just makes it come easy to me.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said just listen to Graf. Both times he says the relievers are ready. There's no reason to stall. I do appreciate the video you posted as it doesn't show any limp nor does he look like he's holding his arm funny so he did appear ok.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

exflash
High Tide

Future opponent ........Louisiana Cajuns blew a chance to win the series in Austin.....won the last game but have some early injuries!!! Hope some of you guys can come see the finished stadium!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

exflash wrote:Future opponent ........Louisiana Cajuns blew a chance to win the series in Austin.....won the last game but have some early injuries!!! Hope some of you guys can come see the finished stadium!!!
What in the world does this have to do with Tulane sweeping Wright State? If you're going to fly-by and drop bombs, at least do it in a thread related to U-La-La baseball.

Tulane was, and is the ONLY University of Louisiana. UL-M tried to steal the name 20+ years ago. Your school will ALWAYS be the University of Louisiana AT Lafayette, or U-La-La.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ccap05
Surge

exflash wrote:Future opponent ........Louisiana Cajuns blew a chance to win the series in Austin.....won the last game but have some early injuries!!! Hope some of you guys can come see the finished stadium!!!

Putting this post on this subject is exactly why everyone dislikes the Laffy posters so much. I would love to see an apology but I will not hold my breath waiting to see such an exhibit of class.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ccap05 wrote:

Putting this post on this subject is exactly why everyone dislikes the Laffy posters so much. I would love to see an apology but I will not hold my breath waiting to see such an exhibit of class.
I could have bought in had it been a basketball post. The Cajuns are rolling there. Lol
Tulane Class of 1981