Tulane not alone in attendance woes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

College FB suffers it’s largest attendance drop in 34 years. Smaller stadiums and nice clubs are now the new talk for solutions.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -34-years/
One Power Five source suggested the NFL and MLB have been much more proactive in downsizing stadiums to create a more premium ticket.
Arizona State, Kentucky, North Carolina and Penn State are all in the process of downsizing stadiums.

AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta have created in-house lounges so extravagant it's actually better watching on a cinema-quality screen with drink in hand than stepping out to view the real thing a few feet away.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:College FB suffers it’s largest attendance drop in 34 years. Smaller stadiums and nice clubs are now the new talk for solutions.
One Power Five source suggested the NFL and MLB have been much more proactive in downsizing stadiums to create a more premium ticket.
Arizona State, Kentucky, North Carolina and Penn State are all in the process of downsizing stadiums.

AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta have created in-house lounges so extravagant it's actually better watching on a cinema-quality screen with drink in hand than stepping out to view the real thing a few feet away.
want some basil on that pizza at ATT Stadium in Arlington....hand over your 401K..a second mortgage is needed for pepperoni ..on a side note, delete the attendance totals from the top 10 schools like Texas, Michigans Tennessee, Ohio State, Bama and a few others and the real attendance is about 35,000
https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/ ... 20922.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

And just think, our illegitimate Country Cousins up the river at LSWho have just expanded their capacity to 102,321 and of LSWho's eight "home games" for 2018 three are against SLU, La. Tech & Rice (They play Miami @ Dallas for a "home game"). So, since they have about 74,000 season ticket holders, there will be at least 30,000 empty seats for their home non-conference schedule. But, perhaps they will be near sellout to see Georgia and Alabama beat the Hell out of LSWho respectively on October 13th and November 3rd or, if Coach O has a rough year, as many suspect, perhaps thousands of empty seats for those games too? :P
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:And just think, our illegitimate Country Cousins up the river at LSWho have just expanded their capacity to 102,321 and of LSWho's eight "home games" for 2018 three are against SLU, La. Tech & Rice (They play Miami @ Dallas for a "home game"). So, since they have about 74,000 season ticket holders, there will be at least 30,000 empty seats for their home non-conference schedule. But, perhaps they will be near sellout to see Georgia and Alabama beat the Hell out of LSWho respectively on October 13th and November 3rd or, if Coach O has a rough year, as many suspect, perhaps thousands of empty seats for those games too? :P
Yep. I was thinking about that as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's amazing how the PTB keep missing the point. It's not about technology*. It's about the cost to attend the games. The required donations and ticket prices are the things that cause fans to stop going. Yet they keep adding pricy things in the stadium thinking that helps. You end up with Glazer Club situations where real fans look over there and see these great seats unoccupied but yet they know they can't sit in them b/c they are not rich enough to afford to. Real fans want to be there to help root their team on to victory. Real fans had the best seats as they and their families got in early on the ticket buying. Many have now been displaced by the current system and choose not to go anymore and have the class warfare shoved in their faces. Yet schools keep doubling down on what has really caused the problem. So attendance will continue to decline.

(Technology does affect student attendance as they really seem to have become disengaged from personal interaction. )
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote:It's amazing how the PTB keep missing the point. It's not about technology*. It's about the cost to attend the games. The required donations and ticket prices are the things that cause fans to stop going. Yet they keep adding pricy things in the stadium thinking that helps. You end up with Glazer Club situations where real fans look over there and see these great seats unoccupied but yet they know they can't sit in them b/c they are not rich enough to afford to. Real fans want to be there to help root their team on to victory. Real fans had the best seats as they and their families got in early on the ticket buying. Many have now been displaced by the current system and choose not to go anymore and have the class warfare shoved in their faces. Yet schools keep doubling down on what has really caused the problem. So attendance will continue to decline.

(Technology does affect student attendance as they really seem to have become disengaged from personal interaction. )
Our $2,000 "licensing fee" for Westfeldt Terrace seats is ridiculous, everyone I know who paid it for the 2014 season no longer does so. For the Houston game, our most exciting and rewarding game of the season, Westfeldt was about 12% occupied. :shakingno:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Winwave is correct. As a sports fan in general I like to attend sports events when possible. I usually attend St Paul’s high school football games on Friday nights. The stadium is perfect for high school and is less than 2 minutes from my house. Tickets are $8 and you can sit anywhere and have a great view. $1 will get you a Coke or bottled water, candy or popcorn. And $2 will get you a hot dog. $4 will get you a bowl of Jambalaya. All the concession money goes to the school. With the competition usually solid you get great value for your money every time out.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:College FB suffers it’s largest attendance drop in 34 years. Smaller stadiums and nice clubs are now the new talk for solutions.

This is all because those spoiled kids are kneeling during the national anthem.
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Winwave is correct. As a sports fan in general I like to attend sports events when possible. I usually attend St Paul’s high school football games on Friday nights. The stadium is perfect for high school and is less than 2 minutes from my house. Tickets are $8 and you can sit anywhere and have a great view. $1 will get you a Coke or bottled water, candy or popcorn. And $2 will get you a hot dog. $4 will get you a bowl of Jambalaya. All the concession money goes to the school. With the competition usually solid you get great value for your money every time out.
I find much more satisfaction attending Friday night high school games than any NFL game and most NCAA games. The connection with the local community at high school games is timeless and reassuring, something that Tulane can do a better job of in spite of the carpet-bagger student body & alumni.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Winwave is correct. As a sports fan in general I like to attend sports events when possible. I usually attend St Paul’s high school football games on Friday nights. The stadium is perfect for high school and is less than 2 minutes from my house. Tickets are $8 and you can sit anywhere and have a great view. $1 will get you a Coke or bottled water, candy or popcorn. And $2 will get you a hot dog. $4 will get you a bowl of Jambalaya. All the concession money goes to the school. With the competition usually solid you get great value for your money every time out.
I find much more satisfaction attending Friday night high school games than any NFL game and most NCAA games. The connection with the local community at high school games is timeless and reassuring, something that Tulane can do a better job of in spite of the carpet-bagger student body & alumni.
Agree 100% especially with the community aspect. I know a few of my neighbors down the street look forward to going to every game. And they are in their 60’s and have no kids or direct ties to the school.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

dpm wave wrote:

This is all because those spoiled kids are kneeling during the national anthem.
dpm, I PRAY you are being sarcastic. Because the players that kneel during the anthem did more damage to the NFL viewership, attendance and ultimately the value of the NFL games than anything else that's happened to the NFL in my lifetime.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: I find much more satisfaction attending Friday night high school games than any NFL game and most NCAA games. The connection with the local community at high school games is timeless and reassuring, something that Tulane can do a better job of in spite of the carpet-bagger student body & alumni.
Then keep going to more of those games and give up rooting for the "carpet bagger" university you like to follow. Paul Tulane was a carpet bagger. The former University of Louisiana was rescued by the "carpet bagger" and has had a deep tradition of attracting students from the NorthEast ever since. I'm surprised with how smart you are, how easily you got into Tulane and Tulane Law School, then passed the bar before you really had to study for it, that you haven't figured it out. Since you haven't figured it out after all these years, go ahead and keep insulting the University you love, and the graduates that come from the same place as the man that was responsible for the only land-grant university in the history of the United States to go private.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote: I find much more satisfaction attending Friday night high school games than any NFL game and most NCAA games. The connection with the local community at high school games is timeless and reassuring, something that Tulane can do a better job of in spite of the carpet-bagger student body & alumni.
Then keep going to more of those games and give up rooting for the "carpet bagger" university you like to follow. Paul Tulane was a carpet bagger. The former University of Louisiana was rescued by the "carpet bagger" and has had a deep tradition of attracting students from the NorthEast ever since. I'm surprised with how smart you are, how easily you got into Tulane and Tulane Law School, then passed the bar before you really had to study for it, that you haven't figured it out. Since you haven't figured it out after all these years, go ahead and keep insulting the University you love, and the graduates that come from the same place as the man that was responsible for the only land-grant university in the history of the United States to go private.
Actually D, it is I, Wave 755, not wave97, the Tulane Law graduate. And, even though born at Princeton, New Jersey, Paul Tulane made his fortune on Canal Street and proudly gave more money to the Confederate cause than any other Louisianan.
wavemania
Surge

that is a main reason why I quit attending. After years of attending games, I felt it was ridiculous to pay that kind of money to watch Tulane get its ass kicked almost every time out. After a few years of sitting in the endzone seats at Yulman, since Tulane wouldn't offer me better seats unless I paid a big donation, I gave up my season tickets. Watch it on TV, and when the game gets ugly, I turn it off and enjoy the rest of my day.
pansdad
Ripple

wavemania, you are not a Tulane fan in any way, shape or form. I don't blame you for watching games on TV and turning it off when it gets ugly. BUT who needs fans like you? A FAN is a person who supports their team through good and bad. I have been at it for 60 years and I often watch on TV instead of making a 60 mile trip to see the game in person, but I have my season tickets and I pay to required extra, not because it is FAIR but because that is the way of the current college sports world. You have every right to complain about the situation, but please don't do so in the guise of a FAN. You are obviously a person with a bit of interest in Tulane football and we need many more of you. But, again, you are not a FAN. Those of us who are FANS put up and all too often have to shut up. I rarely post on this or any other of the Tulane Forums but I just had to make these comments. I am not angry with you or your position; I just don't think you have a right to present yourself as a FAN.
Show Me
Tsunami

pansdad wrote:wavemania, you are not a Tulane fan in any way, shape or form. I don't blame you for watching games on TV and turning it off when it gets ugly. BUT who needs fans like you? A FAN is a person who supports their team through good and bad. I have been at it for 60 years and I often watch on TV instead of making a 60 mile trip to see the game in person, but I have my season tickets and I pay to required extra, not because it is FAIR but because that is the way of the current college sports world. You have every right to complain about the situation, but please don't do so in the guise of a FAN. You are obviously a person with a bit of interest in Tulane football and we need many more of you. But, again, you are not a FAN. Those of us who are FANS put up and all too often have to shut up. I rarely post on this or any other of the Tulane Forums but I just had to make these comments. I am not angry with you or your position; I just don't think you have a right to present yourself as a FAN.
He’s a fan and a smart one. He’s the fan that Tulane needs to get in the stands is all. I’m a Saints fan and haven’t been to a game in person in over 20 years. I buy the merchandise and never miss them on TV. So you going to say I’m not a Saints fan? I love the Yankees and I’m a big fan but have never seen them play in person. You can’t blame the fans that no longer attend for Tulane’s failures.
wave97
Swell

Perhaps the benevolent Kim Jong-un can provide DPRK "cheerleaders" to fill in the gaping voids on the east side of the stadium.
Would he stand accused Kimchi-Baggery?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Actually D, it is I, Wave 755, not wave97, the Tulane Law graduate. And, even though born at Princeton, New Jersey, Paul Tulane made his fortune on Canal Street and proudly gave more money to the Confederate cause than any other Louisianan.
Paul Tulane lived mostly in New Jersey where he was born and died and was buried. Yes, I know he made his fortune in New Orleans, but by definition he was a carpetbagger, which is not a flattering term. And it applies to a large percentage of the student body and alumni. That all said, sorry for confusing the two of you.
Wave755
Tsunami

wave97 wrote:Perhaps the benevolent Kim Jong-un can provide DPRK "cheerleaders" to fill in the gaping voids on the east side of the stadium.
Would he stand accused Kimchi-Baggery?
Careful of what you wish for, at the Olympics the North Korean Cheerleaders were seen wearing what appeared to be masks in the image of a then young Kim Il-Sung, founder of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) police state.

So, God help us if DPRK cheerleaders at Yulman were to put on Scott Cowen masks! Too scary a thought for me! :lolgreen: So, on second thought, better to keep Glazer empty!!! :megagrin: