Steve Roccaforte and Jeff Reynolds

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Their Virginia Tech Hokies upset #2 Virginia on the road 61-60

Roccaforte was easily the best recruiter in Tulane basketball history. He put together top 25 classes when at Tulane (No. 8), at Memphis (No. 1), and at Lamar (No. 6) and now Virginia Tech.
http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/roccaforte_steve.html

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The HC there , Buzz Williams, coached one year at UNO after Katrina and we played them there at the Chamber of Horrors as the Lakefront Arena had flooded. After the game he stood at the door and thanked every fan that was there. Class act.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:The HC there , Buzz Williams, coached one year at UNO after Katrina and we played them there at the House of Horrors as the Lakefront Arena had flooded. After the game he stood at the door and thanked every fan that was there. Class act.
plus 1 from me !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:The HC there , Buzz Williams, coached one year at UNO after Katrina and we played them there at the House of Horrors as the Lakefront Arena had flooded. After the game he stood at the door and thanked every fan that was there. Class act.
Yes. Great guy.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

I don’t think most UNO fans would agree. He cut loose after 1 year and then sued the school to get out of his contract.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:I don’t think most UNO fans would agree. He cut loose after 1 year and then sued the school to get out of his contract.
Maybe so. But after Katrina the UNO job wasn’t the same. I think Buzz probably realized that in his first year. He took an assistant job just to get out.
Turned out to great move in the long run.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:I don’t think most UNO fans would agree. He cut loose after 1 year and then sued the school to get out of his contract.
Maybe so. But after Katrina the UNO job wasn’t the same. I think Buzz probably realized that in his first year. He took an assistant job just to get out.
Right but he knew what he was getting into. He was hired after Katrina. Nothing wrong with taking a better opportunity but don’t sue the school that you gave you your first shot, especially one whose athletic dept was struggling at the time.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Roccaforte and Reynolds are two examples of coaches that need to remain as assistants. Roccaforte was 76-78 in 6 seasons at Lamar in his only head coaching stint. Reynolds teams at Air Force (tough place to win) were even worse in 6 years there. Both are good guys with Roccaforte being the better recruiter.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Right but he knew what he was getting into. He was hired after Katrina. Nothing wrong with taking a better opportunity but don’t sue the school that you gave you your first shot, especially one whose athletic dept was struggling at the time.
Did some research. Williams doesn’t have an agent and negotiates his own contracts. He claimed UNO breached his contract by not fulfilling promises and basic services necessary to compete. The school filed a counter-claim to recover the $300,000 buyout in his contract. They eventually settled out of court. He was paid less in his next job as a Marquette assistant. Just wanted out at UNO in the worst way I suppose.
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Did some research. Williams doesn’t have an agent and negotiates his own contracts. He claimed UNO breached his contract by not fulfilling promises and basic services necessary to compete. The school filed a counter-claim to recover the $300,000 buyout in his contract. They eventually settled out of court. He was paid less in his next job as a Marquette assistant. Just wanted out at UNO in the worst way I suppose.
"Right but he knew what he was getting into."

Not really. Right after he got there UNO decided to drop down to Division III (Sound familiar?)
That is why he left and sued to get out of his buyout. Real UNO fans don't blame hm a bit.
God Bless Everyone!
greenphantom
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Not really. Right after he got there UNO decided to drop down to Division III (Sound familiar?)
That is why he left and sued to get out of his buyout. Real UNO fans don't blame hm a bit.
That is not correct. The decision to drop down was a couple years later when Pasternack was coach. UNO fans can’t stand the guy. He used to cry during post game interviews as to how happy he was to be a HC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That is not correct. The decision to drop down was a couple years later when Pasternack was coach. UNO fans can’t stand the guy. He used to cry during post game interviews as to how happy he was to be a HC.
Oh. I could be wrong then. It wouldn't be the first time. :cheers:
God Bless Everyone!
greenphantom
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Oh. I could be wrong then. It wouldn't be the first time. :cheers:
No worries and there’s definitely 2 sides to everything so he may have been in the right. Just saying that a lot of UNO fans were pretty upset with him for awhile. He’s gone on to a nice career so he is a good coach.