Signing Day Thread 2018

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:This Class is confirmation that Tulane now has a professional Coaching Staff...a place you can come. be coached and get noticed..all of this PEE bullsh*t is just that, bullsh*t...if you can get properly coached, and developed, the NFL will find you ...Hell, the NFL found ITTA BENA, Mississippi population 2,000 and found Jerry Rice. There are more "catfish" living in Itta Bena than humans. for those needing directions
https://www.mapquest.com/us/ms/itta-bena-282031318
That's all very true but we are all older and wiser than the 18 year olds making these decisions. The situation is what it is and we can only hope we start winning consistently against good competition and we overcome those barriers that the media has helped put in place.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

247 now has us with 20 three star recruits, when is the last time that has happened?

In 2013, our prior best year, 247 had us with 9 three stars and ranked 83. https://247sports.com/Season/2013-Footb ... amRankings

Here is how we stand for the conference as of today:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

For 247 for the AAC as of right now:

Cincy 47;
USF 63;
Wave 66;
UCF 72;
UH 73;
Temple 79;
Memphis 86;
SMU 90
ECU 92;
Tulsa 97;
UCONN 100;
Navy 104.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018 ... s/football

For Rivals for the AAC as of right now:

Cincy 47;
USF 56
UH 60;
Wave 64;
UCF 71;
Temple 75;
Memphis 80;
SMU 84;
ECU 84;
Tulsa 86;
UCONN 89;
Navy 90.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I guessing these kinds of guys are also PWOs?
https://twitter.com/granthamel33/status ... 2798267393
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
MicMan
Swell

I hope we gave each signee a 1998 National Champions t-shirt.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:I hope we gave each signee a 1998 National Champions t-shirt.

Why? Were any of them born in 1998? When I was a Senior in HS, I considered anything that happened before my birth year as ancient history. And it seems to me that each generation become more and more focused on "what have you done for me lately" if not "what's going to happen today or tomorrow."

Those shirts are great for those of us that were passionately cheering on the 1998 team. I'm not sure anyone that wasn't born really gives a damn about our claiming the mythical national championship from way back when.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:I guessing these kinds of guys are also PWOs?
Yes.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:I guessing these kinds of guys are also PWOs?
Yes.
I bet this Kid was recommended to Fritz by a coach he met while in the JUCO ranks after watching some of the tape, he is familiar with the Tulane Offense...some info
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/grant-h ... efault.htm

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recr ... rant-hamel

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-s ... 23172.html
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

Member when everyone said WF could not recruit? Lol. Hard not to be excited about the future. Great class.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Damien Tate, kid from New Orleans that Fritz has raved about, tweeted today that he is taking the ACT. That would lead me to believe that he is not yet academically qualified. Hope it goes well.
Jaxwave
Swell

Hopefully, he is the only one in that situation. My post from a couple of days ago expressed concern that as the quality of recruit increased, the academic risk increased also. Let's hope not but I'll say it again, I'm all for taking the risks if that's the case.

It's about time we try to compete on an even playing field with our conference brethren. This caliber of class is a great start toward competing. Now let's make sure to get them the academic support they might need.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Damien Tate, kid from New Orleans that Fritz has raved about, tweeted today that he is taking the ACT. That would lead me to believe that he is not yet academically qualified. Hope it goes well.
It’s tough even getting PWO’s in school. They have to compete for a spot against the regular student body which avg’s a 32 ACT at Tulane. The coaches can’t influence the PWO. I’m told anything less than a 26 ACT won’t even be considered. All of our AAC opponents can get their PWO’s in under the NCAA minimum. We go by Tulane standards.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

With so much of the class coming on the defensive side of the ball, it's gonna be interesting to see if a see-saw effect develops for next year, with a huge offensive class in 19
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Damien Tate, kid from New Orleans that Fritz has raved about, tweeted today that he is taking the ACT. That would lead me to believe that he is not yet academically qualified. Hope it goes well.
It’s tough even getting PWO’s in school. They have to compete for a spot against the regular student body which avg’s a 32 ACT at Tulane. The coaches can’t influence the PWO. I’m told anything less than a 26 ACT won’t even be considered. All of our AAC opponents can get their PWO’s in under the NCAA minimum. We go by Tulane standards.
TPS...U live in metro NOLA, but I was on the phone with a member of the Athletic Dept and was told the NCAA minimum applied..but I have a feeling ( usually feelings only apply in California, and realism, except in Vegas, applies everywhere else) I think U are correct ....
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:The number 1 ranked player in the country (Rivals), a 6"5" Pro-Style Qb has chosen Clemson? WTF? Who does that?
DeShaun Watson did. He was the #1 ranked QB in college football, by a good margin, his last two years at Clemson. Watson would have been NFL rookie of the year by a HUGE margin (with all due respect to Alvin Kamara) had he not been injured. He was on pace to SHATTER rookie QB records in the NFL. If he stays healthy he'll be an all-time great. And shame on those teams that passed him up in the draft after his coach rightly declared him the best player in D1 after he beat Alabama for the national championship.

What other team, outside of Alabama, has been to the CFP the last three years? Clemson under Dabo Sweeney (an Alabama alum) has become a football powerhouse. I hope the player lives up to his hype and that Clemson can take down Alabama or the other SEC teams that make the playoff a few more times in the coming years.
What happened to DeSaun Watson? What happened to Carson Wentz? Whenever an NFL QB presents himself as a run threat he is, by rule, considered a running back. The QB is now a pinata for a 300 lb to destroy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:The number 1 ranked player in the country (Rivals), a 6"5" Pro-Style Qb has chosen Clemson? WTF? Who does that?
DeShaun Watson did. He was the #1 ranked QB in college football, by a good margin, his last two years at Clemson. Watson would have been NFL rookie of the year by a HUGE margin (with all due respect to Alvin Kamara) had he not been injured. He was on pace to SHATTER rookie QB records in the NFL. If he stays healthy he'll be an all-time great. And shame on those teams that passed him up in the draft after his coach rightly declared him the best player in D1 after he beat Alabama for the national championship.

What other team, outside of Alabama, has been to the CFP the last three years? Clemson under Dabo Sweeney (an Alabama alum) has become a football powerhouse. I hope the player lives up to his hype and that Clemson can take down Alabama or the other SEC teams that make the playoff a few more times in the coming years.
What happened to DeSaun Watson? What happened to Carson Wentz? Whenever an NFL QB presents himself as a run threat he is, by rule, considered a running back. The QB is now a pinata for a 300 lb to destroy.
And WTF does that have to do with the fact that the best player in NCAA football for two years, and most promising rookie QB in NFL went to Clemson? Two different subjects, the one you bring up is not related to the argument about the top QB recruit choosing Clemson.
greenphantom
Swell

Be careful. You all are starting to sound that other board where posters constantly go off topic and start splitting hairs on irrelevant subjective drivel. I can’t even lurk much on that site any more because of it :).
netshorty
Surge

JerseyWave wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am Damien Tate, kid from New Orleans that Fritz has raved about, tweeted today that he is taking the ACT. That would lead me to believe that he is not yet academically qualified. Hope it goes well.
Any insight on whether academics are the reason Tate has decided to reopen his recruitment and attend JC this year?

Check out @Tate1DaGreat’s Tweet: <url>https://twitter.com/Tate1DaGreat/status ... 21377?s=09
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He didn't meet the NCCA requirements and has to go the JUCO route.
chigoyboy
Ripple

Well that sucks. Were we expecting him to contribute early?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

it's a position of need and the coaches were high on him so I think they were hoping he could play this season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:45 am
JerseyWave wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 am Damien Tate, kid from New Orleans that Fritz has raved about, tweeted today that he is taking the ACT. That would lead me to believe that he is not yet academically qualified. Hope it goes well.
Any insight on whether academics are the reason Tate has decided to reopen his recruitment and attend JC this year?

Check out @Tate1DaGreat’s Tweet: <url>https://twitter.com/Tate1DaGreat/status ... 21377?s=09
Wasn't he the undersized kid that all the HS coaches said was the best player in the Greater New Orleans area?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes he is. we took a chance on him as his academic issues were known. The staff felt he was that good that they could take this risk.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm Yes he is. we took a chance on him as his academic issues were known. The staff felt he was that good that they could take this risk.
If they really want him after JUCO, they better coach him on what classes will and will not be accepted.