Football Recruiting 2018

Talk about the latest recruits here.
Jaxwave
Swell

Any word on the academic standing of the recruits in this class, especially some of the later commitments who seem to have lost offers from P5 schools as signing day approached.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:No new QB. :oops:
Despite the departure of quarterbacks Johnathan Brantley and Khalil McClain after the season and Lindsey Scott's decision to sign with Missouri, do not look for Tulane to add a quarterback on Wednesday.
Could happen Thursday or Friday. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness we can still hope we get a grad transfer to come in this summer.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Despite the departure of quarterbacks Johnathan Brantley and Khalil McClain after the season and Lindsey Scott's decision to sign with Missouri, do not look for Tulane to add a quarterback on Wednesday.

In all seriousness we can still hope we get a grad transfer to come in this summer.
It's got to be difficult to convince a grad transfer to come with zero chance to play unless there's an injury. They leaving to get a better chance to play. They ain't getting it here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Does anyone know if we've signed players today? Did the DT from Montgomery, AL that Guerry Smith discussed in yesterday's article sign? Info, we need info!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Does anyone know if we've signed players today? Did the DT from Montgomery, AL that Guerry Smith discussed in yesterday's article sign? Info, we need info!
There is a signing day thread. Twitter says the DT, Alfred Thomas did sign this morning.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

It's got to be difficult to convince a grad transfer to come with zero chance to play unless there's an injury. They leaving to get a better chance to play. They ain't getting it here.
I agree it will be difficult but it's the last chance we appear to have.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
OUG
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:Any word on the academic standing of the recruits in this class, especially some of the later commitments who seem to have lost offers from P5 schools as signing day approached.
I don’t think that implies academic issues—offers get lost as classes fill up, it’s part of the process.
Jaxwave
Swell

I guess my post did imply that, but does anyone have any info on the academics on these signees? Tulane used to include that in their signing day profiles. Did they put out those profiles this year?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jax, if you' ve been following the recruiting all cycle, the players Fritz recruits have all been good students. Many have posted their GPAs and ACT scores on their Twitter profiles. Lots of 3.5 GPAs and 30 ACT scores. I don't think Fritz wants kids that can't handle the academics.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

I certainly agree with you that Fritz wants good students vs poor students. I was asking what I think is a legitimate one. As we’ve upgraded the recruiting talent and gone into some rural areas in Miss, Ala and Ga, are we takings more academic risks than we’ve seen in the past?
By the way, I’m all for it and quite frankly ecstatic over this class. Being a Tulane fan, however, what comes to mind is I hope these guys are quailified and can stay eligible
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:I certainly agree with you that Fritz wants good students vs poor students. I was asking what I think is a legitimate one. As we’ve upgraded the recruiting talent and gone into some rural areas in Miss, Ala and Ga, are we takings more academic risks than we’ve seen in the past?
By the way, I’m all for it and quite frankly ecstatic over this class. Being a Tulane fan, however, what comes to mind is I hope these guys are quailified and can stay eligible
I understand your question, and hope the answer is the one we all want: that all of the kids qualify and can hack University life at a pretty damned good school. This becomes more critical for this program since we don't have many walk-ons due to the cost, and if we lose a recruit that fails to qualify that recruit still counts against the hard total of 25/class now enforced.

I wondered that same thing, especially when one of our recruits was having trouble getting cleared to start school in January vs. the summer. Still not sure if he did. But there could be many reasons for that, not the least of which is not having enough credits to graduate HS in December. Frankly, I didn't and the last months of my HS "career" were by far my happiest and most fun months of HS after I was accepted into Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:I certainly agree with you that Fritz wants good students vs poor students. I was asking what I think is a legitimate one. As we’ve upgraded the recruiting talent and gone into some rural areas in Miss, Ala and Ga, are we takings more academic risks than we’ve seen in the past?
I understand your question, and hope the answer is the one we all want: that all of the kids qualify and can hack University life at a pretty damned good school. This becomes more critical for this program since we don't have many walk-ons due to the cost, and if we lose a recruit that fails to qualify that recruit still counts against the hard total of 25/class now enforced.

I wondered that same thing, especially when one of our recruits was having trouble getting cleared to start school in January vs. the summer. Still not sure if he did. But there could be many reasons for that, not the least of which is not having enough credits to graduate HS in December. Frankly, I didn't and the last months of my HS "career" were by far my happiest and most fun months of HS after I was accepted into Tulane.
Good take D. Fritz runs a disciplined program. Students who haven't taken care of the academic side of things usually aren't going to have the discipline to fit in under WF. As for the player you asked about he did get in for January. He is DT Jeff Johnson .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's the reason I don't think its an issue. Fritz is only going to recruit guys that can hack the academics at Tulane. I understand why that worries us, but haven't we all made the point that schools like Stanford, Notre Dame, Miami, North Carolina, etc, seem to be able to recruit to those standards and still win? I think Fritz is doing what it takes to find the same kids that those schools look for, and he's starting to land a few.

On a side note, Tulane landed 3 kids from New Orleans this cycle. The guys upriver only got one.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

With 247 showing us with 20 three star recruits, here is how we stand for the conference as of today:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

For 247 for the AAC as of right now:

Cincy 47;
USF 63;
Wave 66;
UCF 72;
UH 73;
Temple 79;
Memphis 86;
SMU 90
ECU 92;
Tulsa 97;
UCONN 100;
Navy 104.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018 ... s/football

For Rivals for the AAC as of right now:

Cincy 47;
USF 56
UH 60;
Wave 64;
UCF 71;
Temple 75;
Memphis 80;
SMU 84;
ECU 84;
Tulsa 86;
UCONN 89;
Navy 90.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Good take D. Fritz runs a disciplined program. Students who haven't taken care of the academic side of things usually aren't going to have the discipline to fit in under WF. As for the player you asked about he did get in for January. He is DT Jeff Johnson .
Thanks, win. I know it's hard for us to depend upon true Freshmen on either line, but boy did we stock up on D line, where we were very thin, with this class. If these D linemen are as good as advertised, we're going to be damned tough in the next few years. You can have great DBs, but if the line cant pressure, they'll get beat regularly. As we all know, it all starts with the guys up front, on both sides of the ball.
Wave755
Tsunami

How Louisiana ranks for recruiting classes

For 247:

LSU 15;
Tulane 66;
La. Tech 76;
La-Monroe 118;
ULALA 126.

For Rivals:

LSU 13;
Tulane 64;
La. Tech 78;
La - Monroe 99
ULALA (unranked, ranking stops at 100)

Louisiana has more than enough football talent for 2 top 25 programs.
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote:How Louisiana ranks for recruiting classes

For 247:

LSU 13;
Tulane 66;
La. Tech 76;
La-Monroe 118;
ULALA 126.

For Rivals:

LSU 13;
Tulane 64;
La. Tech 78;
La - Monroe 99

That may be true, but there are too many teams recruiting Louisiana now in order to realistically achieve that goal. Even LSU has fallen to 15, so it's pretty clear that even -it- is losing to out of state schools (primarily SEC and Big 12 teams).
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:How Louisiana ranks for recruiting classes

For 247:

LSU 15;
Tulane 66;
La. Tech 76;
La-Monroe 118;
ULALA 126.

For Rivals:

LSU 13;
Tulane 64;
La. Tech 78;
La - Monroe 99

That may be true, but there are too many teams recruiting Louisiana now in order to realistically achieve that goal. Even LSU has fallen to 15, so it's pretty clear that even -it- is losing to out of state schools (primarily SEC and Big 12 teams).
We can build a top 25 team by dominating available three stars ranked from 40 to 80. Above 40 LSU & the P5s will be lurking. WF has only just finished his second year, I cant wait for year 3. And, I remember what Tommy Bowden said, "Louisiana produces 85 Div. 1 players a year and LSU can't get 60 of them."
Ruski
Swell

Tulane Head Coach Willie Fritz has a long history of turning around moribund programs, and he seems well on his way to rebuilding the Green Wave with the 2018 recruiting class. The Wave signed 22 players during the early signing period and augmented those numbers with three more players on February 7th. The class was unprecedented in quality as three Green Wave signees garnered a 4-star rating from major recruiting services: Safety Dorian Camel, Defensive Tackle Alfred Thomas and Defensive Tackle Jeffery Johnson. 21 of the 25 Tulane signees were rated three star or higher.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... ight-joyce
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This should be merged into other 2018 football recruiting threads.

It's nice to see others (in this case Underdog Dynasty) appreciate what Fritz & Co. have done. They really stepped up recruiting this time around and we should be in good shape in the coming years, though we'll be very young this coming season. I don't want to use youth as an excuse and am damned sure Fritz won't either.

ROLL WAVE!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll be young on defense but very experienced on offense.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:We'll be young on defense but very experienced on offense.
You're right, good point. Losing our center to graduation with a year eligibility hurts that line, but the unit has been together for a lot of games. Banks will be a Senior, and our WR's will have another year of maturity. Hopefully the Offense can minimize how much time the D spends on the field.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:We'll be young on defense but very experienced on offense.
You're right, good point. Losing our center to graduation with a year eligibility hurts that line, but the unit has been together for a lot of games. Banks will be a Senior, and our WR's will have another year of maturity. Hopefully the Offense can minimize how much time the D spends on the field.
Yep. That's what we are going to have to hope happens in a big way.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Ruski wrote:
Tulane Head Coach Willie Fritz has a long history of turning around moribund programs, and he seems well on his way to rebuilding the Green Wave with the 2018 recruiting class. The Wave signed 22 players during the early signing period and augmented those numbers with three more players on February 7th. The class was unprecedented in quality as three Green Wave signees garnered a 4-star rating from major recruiting services: Safety Dorian Camel, Defensive Tackle Alfred Thomas and Defensive Tackle Jeffery Johnson. 21 of the 25 Tulane signees were rated three star or higher.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/america ... ight-joyce
Thanks for posting, Ruski.