Houston Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just finished watching the game for a second time. The Frazier ejection was absolutely ridiculous. The refs called 6 Tulane fouls in 35 seconds at that time. Clearly both players were jawing but not going after each other physically, and it wasn't anything obvious. The ref that made the call should have let it go after the first double technical but seemed to have a bulls eye on Melvin.

This was a good, gutty win. After leading for virtually the first 60% of the game, then falling behind, the Wave showed a lot of maturity coming back and not folding. They got into a boxing match, and counter punched and kept at it.

ROLL WAVE!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Just finished watching the game for a second time. The Frazier ejection was absolutely ridiculous. The refs called 6 Tulane fouls in 35 seconds at that time. Clearly both players were jawing but not going after each other physically, and it wasn't anything obvious. The ref that made the call should have let it go after the first double technical but seemed to have a bulls eye on Melvin.

This was a good, gutty win. After leading for virtually the first 60% of the game, then falling behind, the Wave showed a lot of maturity coming back and not folding. They got into a boxing match, and counter punched and kept at it.

ROLL WAVE!
The ref warned both earlier about it. Melvin jawed in front of the official and was ejected after the first warning.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:I'm watching on the DVR as I did last night after refereeing two hockey games. There's plenty of empty seats, unless there's people dressed as chairbacks. The announced crowd was 2500, "official capacity" is 4100, though most of us know it's really about 3500. So the place was roughly 60-70% full, not bad on a night where the weather was a big part of the story.
I wasn't questioning that there were lots of empty seats. Definitely the best crowd in a very long time. Would really love to get to the point where the team is so good we're forced to look into expansion or a new building.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Just finished watching the game for a second time. The Frazier ejection was absolutely ridiculous. The refs called 6 Tulane fouls in 35 seconds at that time. Clearly both players were jawing but not going after each other physically, and it wasn't anything obvious. The ref that made the call should have let it go after the first double technical but seemed to have a bulls eye on Melvin.

ROLL WAVE!
The ref warned both earlier about it. Melvin jawed in front of the official and was ejected after the first warning.
I'll take your word, since you were there. On TV, it looked like the ref came across the floor to eject him. Could have been a big turning point, I hope Coach Dunleavy and/or his staff help him learn from this. Frazier has become a hell of a player. I'm so impressed with Coach Dunleavy's teaching, as so many players are playing better. Other posts have said we're not deep. I disagree. On any given night, Daniels, Ona Embo, Paul, Sehic or Cornish could step up and be the #2 scorer on a night when Frazier or Reynolds is having an off night. We still have some projects and some scrubs on the roster, but just about everyone is getting better. I think Ajang could become a player as soon as next year if he could fill out even more. He seems athletic, and has been getting more minutes lately. Coach likes to teach, and he seems like he's good at it.

I think we'll end up .500 in the AAC. And that should earn Dunleavy Coach of the Year. But this team will have to play their best to get to 20 wins including the conference tournament. That should get us an NIT bid. The difference between this team and the last Conroy team is amazing. They're so much more fun to watch.

(For JJ in case he reads this: The Stockholm Syndrome in me says "c'mon Lucy, please don't pull the ball out this time"!!)

Robert, I agree, it will be awesome when we have the place packed every night and we have to either expand (somehow) or build a new facility. Heck, if we become the program Dunleavy wants us to be, we could play half our games at the SKC and get a damned good crowd there. Save certain rivalry games, and preseason games for the friendly confines of Fogelman/Devlin.

Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

ROLL WAVE!
I'll take your word, since you were there. On TV, it looked like the ref came across the floor to eject him. Could have been a big turning point, I hope Coach Dunleavy and/or his staff help him learn from this. Frazier has become a hell of a player. I'm so impressed with Coach Dunleavy's teaching, as so many players are playing better. Other posts have said we're not deep. I disagree. On any given night, Daniels, Ona Embo, Paul, Sehic or Cornish could step up and be the #2 scorer on a night when Frazier or Reynolds is having an off night. We still have some projects and some scrubs on the roster, but just about everyone is getting better. I think Ajang could become a player as soon as next year if he could fill out even more. He seems athletic, and has been getting more minutes lately. Coach likes to teach, and he seems like he's good at it.

I think we'll end up .500 in the AAC. And that should earn Dunleavy Coach of the Year. But this team will have to play their best to get to 20 wins including the conference tournament. That should get us an NIT bid. The difference between this team and the last Conroy team is amazing. They're so much more fun to watch.

(For JJ in case he reads this: The Stockholm Syndrome in me says "c'mon Lucy, please don't pull the ball out this time"!!)

Robert, I agree, it will be awesome when we have the place packed every night and we have to either expand (somehow) or build a new facility. Heck, if we become the program Dunleavy wants us to be, we could play half our games at the SKC and get a damned good crowd there. Save certain rivalry games, and preseason games for the friendly confines of Fogelman/Devlin.

Roll Wave!
I wasn’t able to make it with the roads closed but was told by someone that sits courtside.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I'm watching on the DVR as I did last night after refereeing two hockey games. There's plenty of empty seats, unless there's people dressed as chairbacks. The announced crowd was 2500, "official capacity" is 4100, though most of us know it's really about 3500. So the place was roughly 60-70% full, not bad on a night where the weather was a big part of the story.
I wasn't questioning that there were lots of empty seats. Definitely the best crowd in a very long time. Would really love to get to the point where the team is so good we're forced to look into expansion or a new building.
So many of us have great memories past of Fogelman BB that going to another arena would be sad, I think expansion would be the way to proceed eventually.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Expansion is a tough proposition from what I've read in other threads over the years. I know Golfnut69 has seen plans years ago that called for rotating the court 90 degrees, pushing out the back wall and expanding towards the UC. That would give the building a much bigger footprint and thus allow more seating. Maybe he has an idea of how many could have fit into the reconfigured building.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Expansion is a tough proposition from what I've read in other threads over the years. I know Golfnut69 has seen plans years ago that called for rotating the court 90 degrees, pushing out the back wall and expanding towards the UC. That would give the building a much bigger footprint and thus allow more seating. Maybe he has an idea of how many could have fit into the reconfigured building.
D...The plans that I saw goes back to when Chet Gladchuck was AD....There were two set's of plans....one called for leaving he court running parallel to Feret Street, this would have had the least amount of capacity impact...it called for the "baseline" area at both ends to be expanded, by utilizing the "dead space" under the seats, by pushing back the "stands"...example. the entrance on McAllister would have been closed and all of that area would have become part of the seating area...the second set, the one Gladchuck wanted, was moving the court to run parallel to McAllister and blowing out the north wall, the current "baseline" area would now become the "sidleine" area....it's been many years since I saw the plans, but that is the basics of what was to be accompolished... I was involved, because my company had the foodservice contract and we were called in to give input of what was needed for expanded concession area's ( electrical, refrigeration lines, water lines etc)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It would be tough to move out of there. No one has a more emotional attachment to the gym than I do. That said if we want the program to be a success and stay a success it will be necessary to do so. There can be no meaningful expansion which means we can't cash in on a successful program. We have been over this a bunch. Golf saw plans over 30 years ago that are now obsolete. Back then the place sat 5,000. When we brought basketball back the Fire Marshall required a lot of changes. The student section sideline had to be shortened to allow proper exit space. Aisle's had to be put in on the student section side. That reduced it to 3,600. Then the latest renovation took it to 3,200. Now throw in what they did with McCalister and they aren't going to allow expansion that blocks it. The LBC expansion blocks an extension on that side.

Dunleavy has said he wants to play games in the SKC. We could stay playing the Nicholls States in the gym and quality OOC in the SKC along with conference games. Remember the gym was given probation when we joined the AAC. We stunk and the place had no affect on the games so the coaches said ok. If we get rolling again they may well dictate a move. And that's fine. When we were good and playing games in the Dome we still had a great home court advantage with 10,000 plus crowds. It would be better in the SKC. It's smaller and they could limit seating to the bottom level and curtain off the top. Let's hope we reach that point.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

I don't like the SKC center unless it's a feature game. There is zero soul or atmosphere there.

Tulane athletics belong at Tulane. I don't want to see Tulane repeat the mistakes of the football team in playing away from home while "at home".

A 19-1 Tulane will play in front of 25% capacity at SKC. I don't see what he sees.
galvezwave
Swell

Perry felt the same way about getting out of fogelman as would any big time coach. I personally don't believe it's a hinderance to recruiting. If it rocks , it's a players gym and rockin fogelman energizes the players like a big empty arena cant. Move that Houston game to SKC and it's the same 2200 in a dead arena and we probably lose the game. Sort of a catch 22. This is more a southern thing than a Tulane thing. Even lsu has to have lots of success to get interest. And no matter what the news people and tiger fans say, the PMac is ONLY a weapon when their team is good.

I liked the setup of select games downtown and the rest on campus. Maybe we have a little clout now that we have legit people running athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:I don't like the SKC center unless it's a feature game. There is zero soul or atmosphere there.

Tulane athletics belong at Tulane. I don't want to see Tulane repeat the mistakes of the football team in playing away from home while "at home".

A 19-1 Tulane will play in front of 25% capacity at SKC. I don't see what he sees.
There is a lot of soul and atmosphere when we fill it with 10,000 or more. The program isn't at that point yet. When it is it would be Dicksonian not to cash in on it. a 19-1 Tulane would put more than 10,000 in the SKC.

Of course you want to play on campus if you can. But if the space isn't there you do what you have to do. The Dome wasn't the problem . The people in charge were. Don't make the same mistake of hiring incompetents.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:Perry felt the same way about getting out of fogelman as would any big time coach. I personally don't believe it's a hinderance to recruiting. If it rocks , it's a players gym and rockin fogelman energizes the players like a big empty arena cant. Move that Houston game to SKC and it's the same 2200 in a dead arena and we probably lose the game. Sort of a catch 22. This is more a southern thing than a Tulane thing. Even lsu has to have lots of success to get interest. And no matter what the news people and tiger fans say, the PMac is ONLY a weapon when their team is good.

I liked the setup of select games downtown and the rest on campus. Maybe we have a little clout now that we have legit people running athletics.
As I said above this Houston game wouldn't be moved there. The program isn't there yet. May not get there. But if it does you have to capitalize on it. You don't turn away 10,000 fans. Also as I said we may not have a choice with conference games.

The only way to keep a successful program on campus for all games is to build a new arena on the Rosen lot. There is talk that that is now where they are looking to put the performance center. It could all be incorporated there.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dunleavy said at his introductory press conference that he'd love to play big games in Fogelman, and make it the home court advantage that it has the potential to be. I haven't read where he wants to get to the SKC, but I'm sure he wants to grow the program so that big games demand much more capacity. 10,000 in the SKC is a good crowd. Let's get there and worry about it when the time comes.
galvezwave
Swell

Calipari loves fogelman
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Dunleavy said at his introductory press conference that he'd love to play big games in Fogelman, and make it the home court advantage that it has the potential to be. I haven't read where he wants to get to the SKC, but I'm sure he wants to grow the program so that big games demand much more capacity. 10,000 in the SKC is a good crowd. Let's get there and worry about it when the time comes.
What he said the day he was introduced was that he had never seen it before. He said that to Stockton in response to her asking him if they had shown it to him yet. The way she asked showed she didn't think much of it either. That was on a video Tulane put out.I have personally heard him say about playing on the SKC several times. It's usually when people try and tell him how great Fogelman is. He gets that it doesn't help recruiting. It's why he's getting projects and foreigners for the most part in his recruiting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:Calipari loves fogelman
Yeah. I'm sure he wants Kentucky to downsize. The best we ever got was getting to the first weekend of the tourney. It's why Perry wanted to play elsewhere. He wanted better talent to make deeper runs. It was fun to finally make it but if you wanted to keep climbing you needed a legit D-1 facility. There are a lot of gyms that have their seats right on the court. But they are three times or more bigger. We love it but it limits us.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Calipari loves fogelman
Yeah. I'm sure he wants Kentucky to downsize.
No s***. It was just a comment.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Dunleavy said at his introductory press conference that he'd love to play big games in Fogelman, and make it the home court advantage that it has the potential to be. I haven't read where he wants to get to the SKC, but I'm sure he wants to grow the program so that big games demand much more capacity. 10,000 in the SKC is a good crowd. Let's get there and worry about it when the time comes.
What he said the day he was introduced was that he had never seen it before. He said that to Stockton in response to her asking him if they had shown it to him yet. The way she asked showed she didn't think much of it either. That was on a video Tulane put out.I have personally heard him say about playing on the SKC several times. It's usually when people try and tell him how great Fogelman is. He gets that it doesn't help recruiting. It's why he's getting projects and foreigners for the most part in his recruiting.
That's not what he said in his introductory speech. I have ZERO idea what conversation you're talking about, but I'm referring to the speech he gave in Fogelman when he was introduced as our coach. There was no interaction between Stockton and Dunleavy when he was giving that speech. In that speech, he says he's been associated with Duke and Villanova, both of whom are private schools that play in a small gym on campus. He said he hopes to grow the program to the point where they play big games in bigger gyms in front of bigger crowds.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:
That's not what he said in his introductory speech. I have ZERO idea what conversation you're talking about, but I'm referring to the speech he gave in Fogelman when he was introduced as our coach. There was no interaction between Stockton and Dunleavy when he was giving that speech. In that speech, he says he's been associated with Duke and Villanova, both of whom are private schools that play in a small gym on campus. He said he hopes to grow the program to the point where they play big games in bigger gyms in front of bigger crowds.
Like any coach he said what he had to say there. Tulane put out a video that day that followed him around campus and showed the interaction I referenced.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Perry felt the same way about getting out of fogelman as would any big time coach. I personally don't believe it's a hinderance to recruiting. If it rocks , it's a players gym and rockin fogelman energizes the players like a big empty arena cant. Move that Houston game to SKC and it's the same 2200 in a dead arena and we probably lose the game. Sort of a catch 22. This is more a southern thing than a Tulane thing. Even lsu has to have lots of success to get interest. And no matter what the news people and tiger fans say, the PMac is ONLY a weapon when their team is good.

As I said above this Houston game wouldn't be moved there. The program isn't there yet. May not get there. But if it does you have to capitalize on it. You don't turn away 10,000 fans. Also as I said we may not have a choice with conference games.

The only way to keep a successful program on campus for all games is to build a new arena on the Rosen lot. There is talk that that is now where they are looking to put the performance center. It could all be incorporated there.
As I said before with McAlister Drive now closed we should build a 12000 BB arena on it's footprint....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
winwave wrote:

As I said before with McAlister Drive now closed we should build a 12000 BB arena on it's footprint....
And have 10,000 empty seats?
We can’t get 12,000 to a football game.