Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I remember back when Alabama first hired Nick Saban and ESPN interviewed some art professor who thought it was ridiculous that his school would pay so much money for a football coach. I wonder how that professor feels today or if he even still has a job there.

God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

'Nut's post about professors is irrelevant to what ails Tulane Athletics. Tulane professors were not responsible for the "strategic blunder" in 1965 for withdrawing from the SEC or the "tactical blunders" for not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979 or saying "no" to Richard Rodriquez in 1998 in favor of Georgia's offensive line coach, Chris Scelfo.

Historically Tulane's problem for athletics has been Gibson Hall, not its faculty. 'Nut has never been a student at Tulane, I went to Tulane for 7 years, A&S and Law. Rarely, if ever, did faculty speak of athletics at Tulane and when doing so seemed quite ambivalent and reasoned on the subject. I found no consensus among Tulane faculty for ending or dropping down athletics to a lower level.

Mike Fitts became Tulane president in July 2014. The "jury is still out" for whether he will lead us back to respectability for the truly important sports, football & men's basketball.

'Nut's post on Tulane professors shows a hostility and antipathy to my alma mater. Sadly, this is not the first time 'Nut has made such a post on this forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This will be my last post regarding this subject...wave755 and I do not agree on what outside, or inside, influences the Athletics Dept decsions made at Tulane, but we both want is best for Tulane, and for that I thank him for his support...I base my opinion on the meetings I have attended in regards to two building projects, the renovation of Fogelman during Chet Gladchucks tenure and the construction of the Wilson Center when Mack was AD... I admit to hostility toward those who wish not to succeed...I do not suffer from apathy, if I did why would i continue to contribute.... everyone have a great day and take a moment to thank those who serve, so we can have these trivial discussions
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: I admit to hostility toward those who wish not to succeed...I do not suffer from apathy, if I did why would i continue to contribute....
Definition for antipathy (anˈtēpəTHē/)
noun: antipathy; plural noun: antipathies -
a deep-seated feeling of dislike; aversion.
synonyms:
hostility, antagonism, animosity, aversion, animus, enmity, dislike, distaste, hatred, hate, abhorrence, loathing.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:webster's take on "apathy"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... uGZ2nGEQqg
I wrote," 'Nut's post on Tulane professors shows a hostility and antipathy to my alma mater. Sadly, this is not the first time 'Nut has made such a post on this forum."

Antipathy 'Nut, not apathy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:'Nut's post about professors is irrelevant to what ails Tulane Athletics. Tulane professors were not responsible for the "strategic blunder" in 1965 for withdrawing from the SEC or the "tactical blunders" for not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979 or saying "no" to Richard Rodriquez in 1998 in favor of Georgia's offensive line coach, Chris Scelfo.

Historically Tulane's problem for athletics has been Gibson Hall, not its faculty. 'Nut has never been a student at Tulane, I went to Tulane for 7 years, A&S and Law. Rarely, if ever, did faculty speak of athletics at Tulane and when doing so seemed quite ambivalent and reasoned on the subject. I found no consensus among Tulane faculty for ending or dropping down athletics to a lower level.

Mike Fitts became Tulane president in July 2014. The "jury is still out" for whether he will lead us back to respectability for the truly important sports, football & men's basketball.

'Nut's post on Tulane professors shows a hostility and antipathy to my alma mater. Sadly, this is not the first time 'Nut has made such a post on this forum.
And Golfnuts posts over the years have shown WAY more incite to Tulane Athletics than yours have. He may not be a Tulane alum, but he obviously knows more about the inner workings of Tulane Athletics circa 1970-1999 than you do. So much for your bar pass rate, who gives a crap?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bigschtick
Riptide

He may be a Nut but he is our Nut thru and thru. A true greenie Nut and this forum's humorist!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:'Nut's post about professors is irrelevant to what ails Tulane Athletics. Tulane professors were not responsible for the "strategic blunder" in 1965 for withdrawing from the SEC or the "tactical blunders" for not hiring Lindy Infante in 1979 or saying "no" to Richard Rodriquez in 1998 in favor of Georgia's offensive line coach, Chris Scelfo.

And Golfnuts posts over the years have shown WAY more incite to Tulane Athletics than yours have. He may not be a Tulane alum, but he obviously knows more about the inner workings of Tulane Athletics circa 1970-1999 than you do. So much for your bar pass rate, who gives a crap?
And, I thought 'Nut & I concluded our back and forth for this thread on May 29, 2017!

Apparently, as is often the case, your chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) must be once again getting the better of you! :P And yes, Tulane's bar pass rate was indeed one of the highest in the country @ 91.07% for July 2017! :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, I have more important things to do than look at the date of your foolish posts. That bar pass rate must be the reason we got 1 vote in the G5 poll. It also put plenty of points on the board last football season, and is the reason for this year's turnaround in the only other sport that matters.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Some might not know it but Ed Daniels is a Wave fan and hopefully his article will inform many more people in the New Orleans community of the return of competitive basketball for Tulane.
I think Tulane should hire Daniels...but then again, I am a "Nut' !!
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:And, TPS's post of today is for an article by Ed Daniels celebrating Dunleavy and the return of basketball excitement to Tulane.

Hiring Ed would be a very sane idea indeed. :)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

Hiring Ed would be a very sane idea indeed. :)
I emailed TD several times about ED... he would give Tulane instant credibility in the forms of sponsorship and media relations..something that has been lacking for over 20 years ...Tulane keeps hiring PR guys that do not realize metairie, is spelled "M-E-T-R-Y'....until this ends, Tulane will continue to have issues with Local Corporate Donations and media relations...after all...'it's all about the people, people "
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed is one of the few remaining media people that actually go to our games.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.
What was Ed’s take on last year? Am I remembering correctly that he basically gave Jewett a pass?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Van Gilder weighed in on WWL TV and noted the recruiting issue that had been part of the problem.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am Looking forward to Ed’s take on the current state of Tulane baseball. Something coming out soon.
What was Ed’s take on last year? Am I remembering correctly that he basically gave Jewett a pass?
Yes. More about stacking issues if I recall.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am Van Gilder weighed in on WWL TV and noted the recruiting issue that had been part of the problem.
"recruiting issues'.... now that my friends, took very deep analytical skills on Van Gilders part
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed’s story out. Looking for more scholarship money from our administration.
https://clarionherald.org/2018/05/23/cr ... -baseball/
The baseball solution is simple. Each year, give baseball three to five scholarships that are either academic or need-based. It is how Rice landed third baseman Anthony Rendon and how Vanderbilt signed ace lefty David Price.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Right, if it were just as easy as saying “let’s give our players some academic scholarships” I would think they would do that, but I’m pretty sure they can’t do that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am Like he said we lack talent. It was a lazy article on his part though as he totally disregarded NCAA rules. You can't give academic scholarships to baseball players, or any athlete for that matter, that aren't available to all students. We also learned last year that you can't stack need based aid with scholarship money. A player can only get one or the other.
Yes. Disappointed in Ed on this one. Not about to start up another “stack” discussion. We have too many already.

Need and academic can stack. Baseball money and need can stack. But whatever we offer in baseball money is taken away from whatever they offer in academic so all we are really doing is supplementing “our” baseball money in place “their” academic money. Vandy, Rice and others get around that by having minority scholarships which can be stacked with baseball money. It’s been promised here but never delivered upon.
Tulane Class of 1981