Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Very simple. There will never be a P6 conference. The P5s will never agree to share revenue with a 6th conference. There might be a handful of G5 schools get assumed into a P5 conference if the money makes sense to a particular conference such as Florida schools in AAC moving into Big 12. But that will be the extent of it.
I could easily see the ACC adding UConn and Tulane or another quality academic institution. But we'd have to have Football and Basketball win and win regularly for the years between now and when the "Big Bang" happens. That's when all the "Power Conferences" go to 16 members (and hopefully there's still 5 "Power Conferences" in the aftermath) and the official split between the P5 and everyone else creates three D1 levels.

As I've said repeatedly for years, Cowen misreading the tea leaves in the wake of the 1998 season has cost this University a few hundred million dollars, and untold how many more going forward. We were in better position than TCU to get into a P6 conference at the time, and he pissed it away.

In the next 5-10 years there will be a big split. Dannen, Fritz and Dunleavy could be heros if we get into the "haves" rather than the remain with the "have nots" we keep company with now.
Bullseye D, on all points. Cowen definitely killed us after the 1998 season. One of the great blunders in Tulane history--equal to what Rufus The Dufus did to us.
I have to believe that all P5 eventually go to 16 teams (four 4-team divisions) for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that it will create stronger geographic rivalries within each division (in all sports), reduce travel costs (especially for the secondary sports), and best of all allow each conference to have its own 3-game playoff in all sports. In looking ahead to the possibility of 16-team P5's, a total of 16 teams would be added to the P5's (Big XII 6; Big 10 2; ACC 2; SEC 2; PAC 12 4). Ironically the SEC might have the hardest time finding 2 teams (assuming anchor teams like OU and UT stay put). The PAC 12 will also struggle to find 4 quality schools. I could also see the Big 10 pirating Mizzou from the SEC, and the SEC taking WVa. from the Big XII--making the Big XII bogie 7 schools. Tulane's best chances are with the ACC and Big XII, with an outside shot at the SEC if the other SEC schools pressure LSU to cease their resistance. Fitts, Dannen, Fritz and Dunleavy have to be preparing for this day. As you said, hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake--something Cowen could never understand.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Very simple. There will never be a P6 conference. The P5s will never agree to share revenue with a 6th conference. There might be a handful of G5 schools get assumed into a P5 conference if the money makes sense to a particular conference such as Florida schools in AAC moving into Big 12. But that will be the extent of it.
I could easily see the ACC adding UConn and Tulane or another quality academic institution. But we'd have to have Football and Basketball win and win regularly for the years between now and when the "Big Bang" happens. That's when all the "Power Conferences" go to 16 members (and hopefully there's still 5 "Power Conferences" in the aftermath) and the official split between the P5 and everyone else creates three D1 levels.

As I've said repeatedly for years, Cowen misreading the tea leaves in the wake of the 1998 season has cost this University a few hundred million dollars, and untold how many more going forward. We were in better position than TCU to get into a P6 conference at the time, and he pissed it away.

In the next 5-10 years there will be a big split. Dannen, Fritz and Dunleavy could be heros if we get into the "haves" rather than the remain with the "have nots" we keep company with now.
Bullseye D, on all points. Cowen definitely killed us after the 1998 season. And I have to believe that all P5 eventually go to 16 teams (four 4-team divisions) for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that it will create stronger geographic rivalries within each division (in all sports), reduce travel costs (especially for the secondary sports), and best of all allow each conference to have its own 3-game playoff in all sports. In looking ahead to the possibility of 16-team P5's, a total of 16 teams would be added to the P5's (Big XII 6; Big 10 2; ACC 2; SEC 2; PAC 12 4). Ironically the SEC might have the hardest time finding 2 teams (assuming anchor teams like OU and UT stay put). The PAC 12 will also struggle to find 4 quality schools. I could also see the Big 10 pirating Mizzou from the SEC, and the SEC taking WVa. from the Big XII--making the Big XII bogie 7 schools. Tulane's best chances are with the ACC and Big XII, with an outside shot at the SEC if the other SEC schools pressure LSU to cease their resistance. Fitts, Dannen, Fritz and Dunleavy have to be preparing for this day. As you said, hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake--something Cowen could never understand.
after watching A&M and Arkansas get their ass handed to them on a regular basis OU and the University of Texas @ Austin want nothing to do with the SEC grinder and why should they...they will bide their time in the Big 12 until the PAC 12 comes calling
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Bullseye D, on all points. Cowen definitely killed us after the 1998 season. And I have to believe that all P5 eventually go to 16 teams (four 4-team divisions) for a variety of reasons not the least of which is that it will create stronger geographic rivalries within each division (in all sports), reduce travel costs (especially for the secondary sports), and best of all allow each conference to have its own 3-game playoff in all sports. In looking ahead to the possibility of 16-team P5's, a total of 16 teams would be added to the P5's (Big XII 6; Big 10 2; ACC 2; SEC 2; PAC 12 4). Ironically the SEC might have the hardest time finding 2 teams (assuming anchor teams like OU and UT stay put). The PAC 12 will also struggle to find 4 quality schools. I could also see the Big 10 pirating Mizzou from the SEC, and the SEC taking WVa. from the Big XII--making the Big XII bogie 7 schools. Tulane's best chances are with the ACC and Big XII, with an outside shot at the SEC if the other SEC schools pressure LSU to cease their resistance. Fitts, Dannen, Fritz and Dunleavy have to be preparing for this day. As you said, hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake--something Cowen could never understand.
after watching A&M and Arkansas get their ass handed to them on a regular basis OU and the University of Texas @ Austin want nothing to do with the SEC grinder and why should they...they will bide their time in the Big 12 until the PAC 12 comes calling
The PAC 12 will definitely come calling on OU and UT, but I'm not sure OU and UT will take the bait. I'm guessing that OU and UT will work through their love/hate relationship and realize that they are both still better off being the top dogs of their own conference. Plus the travel to the west coast would be brutal over the long haul--Colorado is already finding that out.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:not sure why the Big 12 needs expansion...the NCAA caved and gave them a championship game...split the money 10 ways...while I do think they need a "link' to WVU, I don't think they are losing sleep over it
Well, the Big 12’s only real issue is recruiting in that they could really benefit from expanding their recruiting grounds. While it’s true that the Big 12 has 6 of the top 2018 classes, they could benefit from adding new areas that have more elite recruits (Ohio, Louisiana, and Pennsylvania) in order to give the top programs more top players and to build better depth in the middle/bottom of the conference.
The Big 12 has recruiting issues...please list them, and I will forward them directly to the Big 12 office for immediate consideration of expansion...last I looked Ohio State and LSU are coming to Texas for recruits...I just checked LSU's early signings...3 from Texas...3 from Mississippi...1 from Alabama and ! from New York...if Louisiana has such great talent, why all of the imports ?
Defensive recruiting. Aside from UT and OU this year, the Big 12 generally has a gap between the quality of their offensive recruits and the quality of their defensive recruits. Part of that is that Texas high schools do not generate as many quality defensive linemen due to having to adapt to Texas high school offenses, and part of that is because some of the few quality defensive players in the state go to programs outside the Big 12.

While the Big 12 may be in the process of changing that with Oklahoma State firing its DC of 10 years after the 2017 season, Patterson's success at TCU, and the additions of Orlando (Texas DC), Snow (Baylor DC), and whoever ISU's DC is, it's still an issue that could be rectified by recruiting elsewhere.

As a side note, 12/18 of Oklahoma's current 2018 signees are from outside TX. 7/19 at TCU and 6/19 at Texas.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Note Houston’s FB attendance increase due to its joining the Big 12

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:31 am Note Houston’s FB attendance increase due to its joining the Big 12

Not at all surprising. For the fans, getting out of the AAC is like being released from a long prison sentence. SMU will likely also experience a large percentage increase in attendance this Fall--and we will as well if Gibson Hall can ever spin the compass and find North.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:31 am Note Houston’s FB attendance increase due to its joining the Big 12

Not at all surprising. For the fans, getting out of the AAC is like being released from a long prison sentence. SMU will likely also experience a large percentage increase in attendance this Fall--and we will as well if Gibson Hall can ever spin the compass and find North.
let's see if that figure increases after UT no longer shows up...it was the only sell out of the 2023 season which inflated the "average" attendance mark...without the UT sell out I think the UH average is closer to 33,000
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 am

let's see if that figure increases after UT no longer shows up...it was the only sell out of the 2023 season which inflated the "average" attendance mark...without the UT sell out I think the UH average is closer to 33,000
But even a 33,000 average is a big increase for UH. They didn't attract flies during their AAC years, and they didn't even have to play in the AACUSA.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good point. We used to get that when we played LSU at home.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Houston will always be a wanna-be. Are they in a better conference position than us? Absolutely. Will they ever sniff the playoff? Never.
Ruski
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 am
But even a 33,000 average is a big increase for UH. They didn't attract flies during their AAC years, and they didn't even have to play in the AACUSA.
2016 was right around 40k per game which is what the stadium holds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Hous ... tball_team
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 am
2016 was right around 40k per game which is what the stadium holds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Hous ... tball_team
That was the season following their version of our 2022 season--when they beat Fla. State in the Peach Bowl. I'm sure expectations were soaring in Cougarland. But like most schools--actual attendance rarely matches announced attendance. UH has always had an attendance problem despite some fantastic teams in the 70's and 80's, 50,000+ enrolled students, and even more alums living in Houston--absolutely no excuses.
greenie78
Riptide

Part of their attendance in 2016 was hosting Oklahoma at NRG Stadium in the opening weekend which boosted their attendance. They also had a huge Thursday Night home game against Louisville and Lamar Jackson. They won both of those games, but lost 3 AAC games that season.
Greeniegb
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:45 pm Part of their attendance in 2016 was hosting Oklahoma at NRG Stadium in the opening weekend which boosted their attendance. They also had a huge Thursday Night home game against Louisville and Lamar Jackson. They won both of those games, but lost 3 AAC games that season.
Don't think comparing Houston attendance to us in anyway, 4 million people live in Houston!!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm
greenie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:45 pm Part of their attendance in 2016 was hosting Oklahoma at NRG Stadium in the opening weekend which boosted their attendance. They also had a huge Thursday Night home game against Louisville and Lamar Jackson. They won both of those games, but lost 3 AAC games that season.
Don't think comparing Houston attendance to us in anyway, 4 million people live in Houston!!!!
It's now over 6 million in greater Houston. And nobody is comparing their attendance to us.
arkhou02
High Tide

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm
Try 6.8 million in Houston metro. You must be looking at the 2000 census.
anEngineer
Riptide

I think Houston has surpassed Chicago as the 3rd largest metro area. With the recent news that Chicago is the only major city to actually lose residents in the past 10 years, it's probably guaranteed.
arkhou02
High Tide

Houston metro will be approaching 10M in the next 10 years