Memphis Beats Tulane 96-89

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

Yup. We went on little runs in the 2nd half but there wasn't any real energy outside of Frazier until Cornish hit some 3's and then all of a sudden the players were hustling. Too little, too late

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Disappointing performance. While our talent level has been improved it still has a long way to go. Have to come out ready and fighting from the get go.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Keep in mind Memphis is something like 11-1 at home. They're very tough to beat on their own court. We need to return the favor in Fogleman.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Would like to find some solace in that but they played a RD type schedule at home for the first 9 of those.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Would like to find some solace in that but they played a RD type schedule at home for the first 9 of those.
And beat Tulsa handily last weekend. That game wasn't as close as the final score indicated, much like ours last night.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Still doesn't change the fact that before that they were playing the Bryant's of the world to build that record up. Tulsa isn't a good team but better than what they played before. They lost to an LSU team we had already beat. So not much solace to be found.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:Disappointing performance. While our talent level has been improved it still has a long way to go. Have to come out ready and fighting from the get go.
Still has a long way to go is what is somewhat concerning. Individually the guys on the roster have gotten better so talent level has improved in regard. Aside from the prospect that Daniels will turn out to be a key contributor moving forward, from last year to this year, new talent level is basically a wash:
3/5 starters from last year. Paul added to starting lineup over Sehic.

Cudos to Dunleavy on player development:
Frazier >> Frazier 2017
Reynolds = Reynolds 2017 (Reynolds big leap was last year)
Ona Embo > Ona Embo 2017
Paul > Paul 2017

But concerned about
Sehic (+2 ppg, 1 rpg, -6 mpg) > Smith - but not by the margin you'd expect. But yes, there is much more upside.
Cornish = Morgan (bad shooters, minutes hogs and turnover prone)
Daniels = Harris (both show signs of being key contributors - thru 4 conf. games last year Harris was the man, avg. 19 ppg in those games and we were talking about the same upside of him as we are Daniels).
Big Guys = Projects...no clue.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We came out the gate too slow. Didn’t look ready to play. When that happens we usually lose. Very disappointed with the defense in the 1st half. The hot shooting by Cornish at the end made it respectable but the game was lost in the first 10 mins. We need to bounce back and beat a weak UCONN team at home. So far we’re 2-2 and I had us 1-3 at this point. The Temple and Tulsa games wash. I had us losing to SMU and Memphis but beating UCONN. Bad thing is LSU beat Memphis though. We definitely need to win at home Saturday.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
winwave wrote:Disappointing performance. While our talent level has been improved it still has a long way to go. Have to come out ready and fighting from the get go.
Still has a long way to go is what is somewhat concerning. Individually the guys on the roster have gotten better so talent level has improved in regard. Aside from the prospect that Daniels will turn out to be a key contributor moving forward, from last year to this year, new talent level is basically a wash:

Frazier >> Frazier 2017
Ona Embo > Ona Embo 2017
Paul > Paul 2017

But concerned about
Sehic (+2 ppg, 1 rpg, -6 mpg) > Smith - but not by the margin you'd expect. But yes, there is much more upside.
Daniels = Harris (both show signs of being key contributors - thru 4 conf. games last year Harris was the man, avg. 19 ppg in those games and we were talking about the same upside of him as we are Daniels).
Good summary. The only one I see differently is Daniels. The only thing you hoped for out of Harris was his shootong which he could never do consistently. He offered nothing else. Daniels is capable on both ends of the court in all aspects.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:

Frazier >> Frazier 2017
Ona Embo > Ona Embo 2017
Paul > Paul 2017

But concerned about
Good summary. The only one I see differently is Daniels. The only thing you hoped for out of Harris was his shootong which he could never do consistently. He offered nothing else. Daniels is capable on both ends of the court in all aspects.
I'll add 11 wins mid season>6 wins total.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:

Frazier >> Frazier 2017
Ona Embo > Ona Embo 2017
Paul > Paul 2017

But concerned about
I don't know. Sure as the season played out, the opinion of Harris changed. But at this point last year, Harris looked to be close to the star player that we hope Daniels will become. And unfortunately defense is not a requirement for a Dunleavy team. We have several individuals that I''d consider to be good individual defenders but collectively we are terrible. But I agree that I like the little that I've seen of Daniel's game. He has struggled a bit with foul trouble but that's as much as him trying to help on defense as it is his own player taking him to the rim. We'll see. I would have liked to have seen him off the bench before we were down by 15, that's for sure.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yet you still cannot deny that we've almost doubled the win total from a year ago full season at the mid point of the current season. We have a shot at 20 wins, when was the last time you could say that about a Tulane basketball team? Yes, we'll need to win key games to get there, but the team is a whole lot better than a year ago. So is the coaching.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Yet you still cannot deny that we've almost doubled the win total from a year ago full season at the mid point of the current season. We have a shot at 20 wins, when was the last time you could say that about a Tulane basketball team? Yes, we'll need to win key games to get there, but the team is a whole lot better than a year ago. So is the coaching.
I noted that we are improved but I don't ever give in to the low bar syndrome. If we won last night and followed up with a win over UCONN then we could say we had a realistic chance at 20 wins. Now it's more just a mathematical chance. I was just responding to your remark about their 11-1 home record which I pointed out when you looked at who they played just wasn't impressive. Your moving on to something different here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:

Frazier >> Frazier 2017
Ona Embo > Ona Embo 2017
Paul > Paul 2017

But concerned about

I'll add 11 wins mid season>6 wins total.
No one is saying it isn't. If we want to make something out of the season though we need to win games like last night's.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Yet you still cannot deny that we've almost doubled the win total from a year ago full season at the mid point of the current season. We have a shot at 20 wins, when was the last time you could say that about a Tulane basketball team? Yes, we'll need to win key games to get there, but the team is a whole lot better than a year ago. So is the coaching.
I noted that we are improved but I don't ever give in to the low bar syndrome. If we won last night and followed up with a win over UCONN then we could say we had a realistic chance at 20 wins. Now it's more just a mathematical chance. I was just responding to your remark about their 11-1 home record which I pointed out when you looked at who they played just wasn't impressive. Your moving on to something different here.
My comment wasn't directed at you, much as you must think otherwise.

And not for nothing, but the Georgia State loss hurts us more from an RPI perspective (191) than Memphis (120).
netshorty
Surge

I cannot deny that we have almost doubled the win total from last year. That is a fact. As it the fact that our pre-conference schedule was not nearly as difficult as last year. I refuse to measure this team in terms of wins against the 6-win season last year for both the reason that the pre-conference schedule was more difficult and there is NO WAY this team shouldn't have won more conference games than Conroy's last year. No excuse.

MD took a 12 win team in 2015-16 to half the wins the following year. No doubt last year's pre-conference schedule was part of that reason (the same partial reason as the "rebound" this year.) And the last time we could say we had a shot at 20 wins? Just 3 short years ago. In 2014-15 we were 9-3 during our pre-conference schedule (sound familiar) and won 4 or our first 6 conference games to go 13-5 (a 3OT loss that could of had us 5-1). So it wasn't too long ago that we had a shot at 20 wins with some very positive thoughts on how we'd finish the season...and we ended up with 15 wins...

My comments were about talent level. My post is that we have definitely improved the skill sets of our existing personnel but have not brought in much better talent than what we've had. So our increased win total is a result of Player Improvement + Weaker schedule + Better coaching than last year. Just my opinion.
Last edited by netshorty on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:
My comment wasn't directed at you, much as you must think otherwise.

And not for nothing, but the Georgia State loss hurts us more from an RPI perspective (191) than Memphis (120).
Since your post had come right after mine about being disappointed one can see why I thought you were responding to that post. No big deal.

As far as RPI that's true but last nights hurt the psyche more as it raises concerns about what we can really accomplish this season going forward.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: As far as RPI that's true but last nights hurt the psyche more as it raises concerns about what we can really accomplish this season going forward.
I think that's a fans perspective and the loss had little or no affect on the teams' psyche. Again, we're both speculating on what's going on in other people's brains. That's usually cause for disaster. We'll know more if they come out flat against a not very good UConn team. I think, outside of WSU and Cinci that we can beat any team in the conference. And when we play poorly any team can beat us. We cannot continue to play like we did for the first 50 minutes of last nights game just because we're not playing at home.

But I do think the talent level on this team is much better than it's been in a while. Maybe my memory is short, but I think this team has an opportunity to finish closer to 20-10 than 15-15. I also don't think last year's pre-conference season was much tougher than this year's.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote: As far as RPI that's true but last nights hurt the psyche more as it raises concerns about what we can really accomplish this season going forward.
I think that's a fans perspective and the loss had little or no affect on the teams' psyche. Again, we're both speculating on what's going on in other people's brains. That's usually cause for disaster. We'll know more if they come out flat against a not very good UConn team. I think, outside of WSU and Cinci that we can beat any team in the conference. And when we play poorly any team can beat us. We cannot continue to play like we did for the first 50 minutes of last nights game just because we're not playing at home.

But I do think the talent level on this team is much better than it's been in a while. Maybe my memory is short, but I think this team has an opportunity to finish closer to 20-10 than 15-15. I also don't think last year's pre-conference season was much tougher than this year's.
I was clearly giving it from a fans perspective. That's why we all post here. Have to get it out. No doubt most teams in this conference are beatable and that we are beatable if we don't come to play from the beginning.

As to the final record the inconsistency probably puts us at best right in the middle of the two. Like everyone else I'll be hoping we somehow become consistent in our performance and hit that 20 win mark in the regular season.
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote:Keep in mind Memphis is something like 11-1 at home. They're very tough to beat on their own court. We need to return the favor in Fogleman.

+1 (also the fact that TU was down by 26 and fought hard to overecome the gap in 2nd half at the Tiger's den).
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: I also don't think last year's pre-conference season was much tougher than this year's.
I guess it was the fact that 1/2 the teams were P5 teams that it appeared we had a much tougher schedule BUT in terms of RPI:
2016 St Johns ~ 2017 Miami OH
2016 Oklahoma ~ 2017 Colorado St.
2016 Mizzou ~ 2017 Fordham

Still 1 more +200 RPI team on the schedule this year compared to last but would agree, don't think it's as difficult as I had originally thought.

I still however believe starting the measuring stick at 6 games is letting MD off the hook for the terrible job last year. Comparing to how we finished in 2015-16 is a better barometer in my opinion. And good news is that we're just 1 win away from matching a terrible Conroy team.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
DfromCT wrote: I also don't think last year's pre-conference season was much tougher than this year's.
I guess it was the fact that 1/2 the teams were P5 teams that it appeared we had a much tougher schedule BUT in terms of RPI:
2016 St Johns ~ 2017 Miami OH
2016 Oklahoma ~ 2017 Colorado St.
2016 Mizzou ~ 2017 Fordham

Still 1 more +200 RPI team on the schedule this year compared to last but would agree, don't think it's as difficult as I had originally thought.

I still however believe starting the measuring stick at 6 games is letting MD off the hook for the terrible job last year. Comparing to how we finished in 2015-16 is a better barometer in my opinion. And good news is that we're just 1 win away from matching a terrible Conroy team.
Lots of better "names" on last year's schedule, but the competition wasn't that much tougher. For example, St. Johns was one step up from as bad as Tulane last year, including a home loss to Delaware State the game before they came to New Orleans and smoked us. I agree that 6 wins was abysmal last year. I attribute part to Dunleavy learning the college game, part to a completely different system that the players needed to not only buy into but have it become second nature. And I also think he's improved the talent, despite having Kain Harris leave. I do think he's noticeably improved players such as Frasier, Ona Embo, and Blake Paul. For me, if this team gets into the NIT, I would think he's a candidate for Coach of the Year. At the same time, a loss to UConn this Saturday, and the season could prove to be what we've seen in the past: Good start and horrible conference record. But our ability to battle and tough it out when we're down tells me we're not going to go down the toilet like we did in years past. Again, it will play itself out. Let's hope we get to 18-20 wins rather than just flirt with .500. I think 19 or 20 regular season wins would get us an NIT bid, especially if we won a couple more in the tournament.