UCF

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote: ANY university which has had an UNDEFEATED season since Tulane's 1998 season should claim a national championship, period.
Hang all the banners that you wish as far as I am concerned. Aggravate the NCAA mercilessly and let them know that the playoff system has not improved anything.

There was a time when it was suggested that the winners of the Sugar, Rose, Orange, and Cotton bowl games be matched up in a NC playoff. Maybe that should be re-examined.
PISS them all off.....hang banners...fly flags....disregard them at every opportunity....

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

Bearwave wrote:They had a great season. We'll never know if they would have been undefeated playing in a P5. If they were in say the SEC East, they would possibly get Ga., Fla, SC, and maybe Bama or LSU from the west in consecutive weeks. Far harder to win out with that type of schedule than the one they faced. Still good for them to claim their piece of the pie, something I wish Tulane had done in 98.
As if any of those schools would play a home-and-home with UCF.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote: ANY university which has had an UNDEFEATED season since Tulane's 1998 season should claim a national championship, period.
Hang all the banners that you wish as far as I am concerned. Aggravate the NCAA mercilessly and let them know that the playoff system has not improved anything.

There was a time when it was suggested that the winners of the Sugar, Rose, Orange, and Cotton bowl games be matched up in a NC playoff. Maybe that should be re-examined.
The truth is, there's a lot of merit to this. The NCAA has proven to be a toothless entity. If we choose to hang a banner declaring ourselves 1998 National Champions, and Boise and Utah and UCF and some of the others that have also gone undefeated since then do so, just what is the NCAA going to do about it? Nothing. And it will call attention publicly to the issue. The only fans in favor of the playoff as currently structured are those who's schools are already in a P5. Put the shoe on the other foot and see if they feel the same way. I bet they wouldn't.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

IM42lane wrote:ANY university which has had an UNDEFEATED season since Tulane's 1998 season should claim a national championship, period.
And then there was the 2003 season when LSUgh and USC met in the Sugar Bowl for the BCS championship. Even though LSUgh won the game, to this day USC still claims the national championship.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
IM42lane wrote:ANY university which has had an UNDEFEATED season since Tulane's 1998 season should claim a national championship, period.
And then there was the 2003 season when LSUgh and USC met in the Sugar Bowl for the BCS championship. Even though LSUgh won the game, to this day USC still claims the national championship.
You're off a little bit here:

LSU was matched against OU, despite OU losing their conference championship game 35-7 to Kansas State, and USC being ranked #1. Southern Cal beat Michigan, 28-14 in the Rose Bowl following the 2003 season. LSU beat OU 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl. LSU was crowned MNC by the BCS, and USC rightly remained #1 in the AP and Coaches Polls. Thus they claimed their title.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
You're off a little bit here:

LSU was matched against OU, despite OU losing their conference championship game 35-7 to Kansas State, and USC being ranked #1. Southern Cal beat Michigan, 28-14 in the Rose Bowl following the 2003 season. LSU beat OU 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl. LSU was crowned MNC by the BCS, and USC rightly remained #1 in the AP and Coaches Polls. Thus they claimed their title.
You're absolutely right. My bad. LSU defeated Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and not USC.

The significant point was that the BCS championship was to be decided in the Sugar Bowl (which LSU won quite handily over Oklahoma). Even though LSU won the championship game, USC claimed the naitonal championship anyway. The point being, any team with a compelling argument can claim the national championship. Why not UCF?
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: LSU was crowned MNC by the BCS, and USC rightly remained #1 in the AP and Coaches Polls. Thus they claimed their title.
You're a little bit off here, D. The BCS title was attached to the Coach's Poll, which crowned LSU champ. The AP is unattached and they crowned USC.

I said a little.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

another ESPN piece....interesting it gives 'Bama a 50% chance of going undefeated and Georgia a 36% chance against UCF's schedule

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=21960554
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:News out today that UCF will claim 2017 National Championship and hang banner in their stadium. I have suggested for years that Tulane do the same thing re the 1998 season. If my memory is correct, the Lake Charles newspaper named Tulane the NC after that season. Many schools have claimed many NCs based on their own criteria.
I did the same thing right after the 1998 season. Our then AD, Sandy Barbour, said that if any newspaper declared Tulane the NC, she would do so as well. She never did. We still should claim the 1998 NC. If it pisses others off, so what. Open the system and you won’t get competing claims of NC.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

All G5’s should recognize UCF as National Champions. I’ll start wearing a UCF NC shirt—along with a Tulane 1998 NC shirt.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:By the way, produce all of usual gear and apparel memorializing that year. I’ll buy one of each of everything and wear it with pride.
Dave over at Campus Connection is looking to do some stuff. I think he's waiting for school approval though.
https://twitter.com/TulaneShop/status/9 ... 7532857344
I gotta have one of these.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Ordered mine earlier today. It's pre-order for the initial shipment but had to be ordered today. I would think if it's ordered tonight online that still counts. $22
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Ordered mine earlier today. It's pre-order for the initial shipment but had to be ordered today. I would think if it's ordered tonight online that still counts. $22
I just ordered mine.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320
Green Wave

Enough is enough. Look what they've started.....
https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status ... 0939614208
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Enough is enough. Look what they've started.....
https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status ... 0939614208
They're not wrong. ULM dominates college water skiing.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Thats a recognized collegiate sport? We should field a team. Could be an easy way to pick up a natty or two.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Danny White makes his case for a national championship
https://www.facebook.com/ucfknights/vid ... 051753047/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I tell you this: this year's UCF team has a BOATLOAD better argument for the MNC than our (much beloved) Green Wave of 1998.

I am optimistic about the state of Tulane Athletics. I'm not down on the department at all, just cautiously optimistic after years of having Lucy pull the damned ball away as I'm about to kick it! This goes back to the 50's and 60's. I only started following Tulane in the late 70's, but I'd love to see us back to competing for national championships any sport we take the field in. It can clearly be done without sacrificing "academic integrity" which previous administrations have used as their calling card.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually not. We had an offense no one had seen and a defense that was opportunistic. You can trash the 98 team all you want but they deserved a chance for it all.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote:Actually not. We had an offense no one had seen and a defense that was opportunistic. You can trash the 98 team all you want but they deserved a chance for it all.
If you look back at how it was set up, it was really the invention of the spread option run out of the shotgun, and you are right that no one had ever seen it before. It required a QB that was capable of making those reads on the fly and executing properly. Fortunately we did have the right QB with Shaun King and the games were like tennis matches. If the other team could not "hold serve" by scoring with their offense, they were going to fall behind and never catch up. I have always felt that the significance of that team and that offense has been greatly overlooked as a major milestone in the way college offense has been run through today.

I am not so sure the eventual national champs that year (Tennessee) would have known what to do either.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Actually not. We had an offense no one had seen and a defense that was opportunistic. You can trash the 98 team all you want but they deserved a chance for it all.
Yes, but the UCF team played three ranked teams in the regular season, and the only team to beat UGa and Alabama in their bowl game. I'm not demeaning the accomplishments of the 1998 team at all. That's your take on my posts. Keep it in your own head. I'm pointing out they played a MUCH MUCH MUCH better schedule, including their bowl victory.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They did play a better schedule. No one will argue that. However myself and many others stand by the fact that our CUTTING EDGE OFFENSE THAT CHANGED COLLEGE FOOTBALL would have ruled the day. Both deserving teams.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.