1998 National Champs!

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Eaglewave
Swell

20 years too late.

Ball Sumrall!
msdos
Swell

I was drinking disregard anything earlier
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote:I was drinking disregard anything earlier
Been there done that. :lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
msdos wrote:I was drinking disregard anything earlier
Been there done that. :lol:

The real issue arises, when the drunk post, make more sense than the sober ones !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

msdos wrote:Because it’s bush league as f**k to do so
I kind of agree with drunk MsDos. Claiming a national title seems a little like claiming this was a bowl-game year. Our peer schools would probably be amused by this. I can imagine the quotes on their forums: "That's the only championship Tulane will win is an imaginary one."
RobertM320
Green Wave

Who do you consider our peer schools? My guess is, there isn't another school in the AAC other than UCF that's had a football NC, ever. So they're not really in a position to laugh, are they? Maybe Navy has.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Who do you consider our peer schools? My guess is, there isn't another school in the AAC other than UCF that's had a football NC, ever. So they're not really in a position to laugh, are they? Maybe Navy has.
I think SMU went undefeated, but they were on "probation'...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Who do you consider our peer schools? My guess is, there isn't another school in the AAC other than UCF that's had a football NC, ever. So they're not really in a position to laugh, are they? Maybe Navy has.

They're always on probation. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote:

They list as having 3 national championships: 1935, 1981, 1982. I think the last two were during the time when they were cheating heavily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ll_seasons
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

They list as having 3 national championships: 1935, 1981, 1982. I think the last two were during the time when they were cheating heavily.

They were not cheating, they just had a payroll to meet and the players were SMU employees
nawlinspete
Riptide

If t shirts work we should be doing a PARADE !

After all, N O is world famous for parades grand and small, and we have more than enough musicians in town to raise a cheer for the THE OLIVE AND THE BLUE .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:If t shirts work we should be doing a PARADE !

After all, N O is world famous for parades grand and small, and we have more than enough musicians in town to raise a cheer for the THE OLIVE AND THE BLUE .
Let's raise a hell of a hullabaloo....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

20th Anniversary of the 1998 team
msdos
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
I kind of agree with drunk MsDos. Claiming a national title seems a little like claiming this was a bowl-game year. Our peer schools would probably be amused by this. I can imagine the quotes on their forums: "That's the only championship Tulane will win is an imaginary one."
This is how I feel but I also don’t want to discredit how great of an accomplishment it was
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote:Why not claim the title....

What a great looking shirt!!

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/celebra ... /504956456
I guess Dannen has officially endorsed our 1998 National Football Championship. I just got an email from Tulane promoting this shirt. Mine is on its way--I can't wait for the discussions that will arise from wearing it.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

Still think we need a banner at Yulman as well. Until someone gets the 1998 Tenn and Tulane teams together on the field to settle it, I say we're the champions and no one can prove otherwise.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:Still think we need a banner at Yulman as well. Until someone gets the 1998 Tenn and Tulane teams together on the field to settle it, I say we're the champions and no one can prove otherwise.
Exactly. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can go fix the system. In the meantime we'll continue to have muddy water.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wavetime
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:Still think we need a banner at Yulman as well. Until someone gets the 1998 Tenn and Tulane teams together on the field to settle it, I say we're the champions and no one can prove otherwise.

I wish we would have taken the approach in 1998 that UCF is taking now. Claim the title, make shirts, have a parade,,they are in the conversation.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wavetime wrote:

I wish we would have taken the approach in 1998 that UCF is taking now. Claim the title, make shirts, have a parade,,they are in the conversation.
No doubt. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter who agree with what UCF is doing and on the Tulane 1998 NC shirt thing. They look at it as the more people shining the light on the hypocrisy of the current system, the more likely it is to change. "Playoff-shaming"?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane 1998 shirts now on back order.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Mine's in but I can't get over there until Wednesday.
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

The 1982 SMU team was the best in the country. A one loss media darling & holier-than-thou Penn State team was ranked ahead of a no loss SMU team to play Georgia in the Suger Bowl. SMU would have curb stomped Georgia.
Last time I checked Ron Meyer & Bobby Collins weren't covering for a systemic child buggerer.
Look at this fluff-piece of the era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UF-PxsA60
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

The 1982 SMU team was the best in the country. A one loss media darling & holier-than-thou Penn State team was ranked ahead of a no loss SMU team to play Georgia in the Suger Bowl. SMU would have curb stomped Georgia.
Last time I checked Ron Meyer & Bobby Collins weren't covering for a systemic child buggerer.
Look at this fluff-piece of the era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UF-PxsA60
SMU was getting snubbed because everyone on the planet knew their payroll rivaled an NFL team. As a matter of fact, when Dickerson demanded to get traded from the Rams, the word was he made more at SMU.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

msdos wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
This is how I feel but I also don’t want to discredit how great of an accomplishment it was
Well that and UCF was undefeated -and- defeated four opponents ranked in the final AP Poll. If I recall correctly, Tulane defeated none.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
msdos wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Well that and UCF was undefeated -and- defeated four opponents ranked in the final AP Poll. If I recall correctly, Tulane defeated none.
Of course, we didn't just win our games. We won dominantly. Only twice did we score less than 31, and those were the two games when King was dealing with his injury. After those two, we never scored less than 41 the rest of the season. The Louisville game (one of those two games when King was playing hurt) was the only one that ended up a one score game (28-22), even though our defense gave up lots of points late in games due to large leads. We won two by 10, and two by 14, and the rest were blowouts. Average margin of victory for the year was over 20 points. So maybe we played lesser opponents, but we did what an elite team should do to lesser opponents.