Tulane gets measure of revenge over SMU 73-70

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

Houma de Wave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:WE HAVE A COACH!!!
We must be the most bipolar fan board in the country. Less than 20 posts in this thread and yet we have one "I don't know what Dunleavy is thinking" and one "we have a coach"! Which is it?
I think you and I know the answer.
Almost as bipolar as the coaching decisions regarding the lineup. One of the things I questioned he fixed in the 2nd half. Nice adjustment.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

This makes up for the Tulsa loss. Second half shooting won this game. Great win!!
galvezwave
Swell

Fraizer was so unselfish down the stretch. 3 huge assists . I agree Daniels earned more minutes, but to be fair Cornish made some key baskets tonight too.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Great win tonight. Dunleavy is working his magic. We just need a little more depth especially at center...
GreenLantern
Riptide

The view from a broad:
  • Thank goodness we can shoot FTs this year. We make 18 of 20 tonight and that was the difference between a W and an L. We shoot 90% and SMUgh shoots 68%.
  • As I said earlier this year, if the season was on the line I would want Sehic at the FT line. He was 8 for 8 and iced this game.
  • We're continuing to get killed on offensive rebounds. We had 7 whereas they pulled down 11.
  • We had 14 turnovers to their 9. Looking only at stats, we must have lost the game.
  • Our bench killed them (think Caleb Daniels). Our bench contributed 20 points compared to their bench's 9.
  • Speaking of Daniels, he made everything he attempted: He was 3 of 3 from the field with one 3 pointer and 4 for 4 from the FT line. Give the boy more minutes, coach! He makes more points per minute played than anyone on the team.
  • Not Cornish's best night. He was 1-6 from beyond the arc.
  • Another great night for Frazier. He was 63% from the field, 4-4 from FT line and had 3 steals. He was, however, 0-fer-0 in the hairdo department. C'mon Mel.
  • The guy behind me in section T that threw something onto the court at the ref is as classless as a purple and gold fan. He should have been ejected. If it happens a second time, he should be banned. No room for that behavior in any level of sports.
  • Biggest win of the Dunleavy era. It's only going to get better.
Ruski
Swell

Really WTF team right now! Big ass wins against Temple and SMU but lose to Tulsa?!?

Whatever awesome win!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just got home from celebrating. They made it worth my time to bust my butt from coaching to make it for the second half to help bring them home. Another good crowd sans the students. Daniels has to get more minutes. He could teach the game to the rest of the team. He always knows where to be on both ends. Unbelievable basketball IQ. Reynolds got hot. Frazier starting to realize his game is going to the rim. Sehic clutch at the line. Two winnable games coming up against Memhis and UCONN. Let's go get them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

And for the SMU fans in attendance at Devlin, here's a little something else for you to consider after your loss tonight:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Gutty win by a team that couldn't throw it in the ocean in the first half. As others have noted, this team would have folded in years past down 12 in the second half. Dunleavy is the real deal, he's got them playing "we ball" instead of "me ball".

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Another solid win. I said in the Temple thread we can beat every team on our schedule with the exception of Wichita St. Last night was one of those games. We have some nice talent on this team that blends well together. They really like one another and continue to share the ball. Big improvements have been shooting FT’s IMO. I always thought in past seasons we lost a lot of games on the line. This season we are money there. It’s really a fun team to watch and they have real shot at post season at this stage. Outside of WS the league is not as strong as in the past so as winwave stated we have two very winnable games coming up in Memphis and UCONN. Need to continue to stay hungry and take care of business.
Roll Wave!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Guerry Smith's take on the game:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1bdcb.html

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
Houma de Wave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:And for the SMU fans in attendance at Devlin, here's a little something else for you to consider after your loss tonight:
It didn’t hit me until this morning that we got a little revenge with that win. And we won it straight up without controversy at the end.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Huge win for the Wave. Daniels is a real gem, glad we found him. Reynolds down-low lefty hook was a thing of beauty at least 4 or 5 times and kept us in the game during our dry streak. Frazier was Frazier, Sehic hit quality clutch free throws at the end, Cornish had some ugly looking 3pt attempts until the end when he hit a clutch 3. What a great game.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Guerry Smith's take on the game:

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:And for the SMU fans in attendance at Devlin, here's a little something else for you to consider after your loss tonight:
It didn’t hit me until this morning that we got a little revenge with that win. And we won it straight up without controversy at the end.
Same here. I doubt SMU fans even got it or care at this point. But we do know they care about that basketball loss we gave them!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:

That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Darrel (sp?) was a Freshman when I was a Frosh, so I saw four years of his play. He came to Tulane with @ 120 consecutive made free throws, and missed his first as a Greenie! He was clutch, though, and made over 90% in college. The strategy at the end of games with a lead was always to put it in his hands.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:Final: Wave 73, SMU 70

A great win for this team and coach Dunleavy

I will second that sir!!!!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
swampnik
Surge

DunleavyWAS in and he rode the team along for the win! Keeps getting better and better; you'd better believe it!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Darrel (sp?) was a Freshman when I was a Frosh, so I saw four years of his play. He came to Tulane with @ 120 consecutive made free throws, and missed his first as a Greenie! He was clutch, though, and made over 90% in college. The strategy at the end of games with a lead was always to put it in his hands.
Thanks I fixed it. Daryl.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We probably caught a break as well. SMU’s starting center stayed back in Dallas with the flu last night. He’s their 3rd leading scorer and second leading rebounder.
http://m.espn.com/ncb/playercard?playerId=4278297
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ahhh...the most interesting post so far, was from "a broad"....so sez Frank, Dean, The rat pack and Harvey W
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:

Maybe so. But look at the talent Conroy brought in. Hopefully Dunleavy can recruit. I like Daniels but the other players are non factors and are projects at best.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
Exactly! +1, M320!!!

And I didn't notice the annual exodus from the program at the conclusion of the 2016-17 season that we saw virtually every year with Conroy's teams. Dunleavy has made the players he inherited better, and those that he's brought in have improved as well. The free throw shooting is a tribute to his teaching abilities.