Tulane and Notre Dame

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
swampnik wrote:Would love to have ND back on the FB schedule.
Still remember the radio games in the 70's with Big Charlie Hall being in the Irish's face all day in Indy and the 60's game at Tulane stadium with a bad TU team that still brought out 41,000 Catholics for the night game. (wink)
Your memory may be getting foggy, like mine. The only time we played ND in the 70's was in November 1971--when Charlie Hall, like all freshmen, was playing on Tulane's freshmen team--the Baby Billow.
1971: that is exactly the day game I remember listening to with my Dad driving in car from Shreveport to Saint Joseph, Missouri. I guess ND had a lot of stations that could be picked up in different states (though radio KEEL AM carried TU FB back then also). Hall's name was being called all day! I just thought we played them 1-2 more times in the 70's.
Anyone know if 1971 was our last scheduled game with the Irish?
Swamp, you may be thinking of our game at Michigan in 1972. Tulane went into that game rated in the top 25, after 3 or 4 wins early in the season. We got mauled at the Big House, but if I remember correctly, it was Charlie Hall's coming out party, as a top flight DT. I think he had a big game that day, and thereafter was recognized nationally.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Actually the scheduling to 2037 is their 5 games a year against ACC teams. They do have openings. If we continue to progress we should see if they'd make it part of the Shamrock Series.
They play non conference Navy, Stanford and USC every year so that free’s up only one other non conference spot each year. Currently that spot is filled with Michigan and a bunch of SEC and MAC schools fill it up for quite sometime. They just don’t have room. It’s a fantasy I had at one time as well. Like I said the odds are better for us to meet in the Sugar Bowl then anytime during the regular season.
Actually it leaves 4 more games. They play 5 ACC and those 3 so that's eight.
Exactly.

I'm thinking that ND may start to schedule something like this:
5 ACC
Stanford
Navy
USC
1 Brand Name non-ACC P5 opponent
3 other G5 teams

The only difference between the above and what happened in 2017 is that there is one less P5 and one more G5.

Regardless as to how they change the scheduling, it won't really matter much in practice since a 1 loss ND would be long shot for a CFP slot unless it defeats at least 1 P5 champ at an absolute minimum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: Their scheduling isn't done thru 2037. They have the 5 ACC games a year and then Navy and USC for every year. Stanford has been a regular in the last decade but they are not married to that. They have broken off the long time arrangements with Michigan and Michigan State. So as I said they have a lot of room to add games. Sure it's a long shot to be put on their schedule but if we get to being at the top of our conference you can make the pitch to be on their in their Shamrock series in the Dome.
Going into 2018 Stanford and Notre Dame will have played each other 28 times over the last 30 years or 3 decades. They are scheduled to continue to play through 2026. They not dropping Stanford to play Tulane. When ND cut a deal with the AAC in 2014 they had to break off some long time arrangements and drop some traditional rivals like Michigan and Michigan St to make room on its schedule. As part of joining the AAC ND was allowed to remain independent in football but agreed to play five football games each season against ACC teams beginning in 2014 and contining though at least 2037. In 2013 Notre Dame and the Big East announced they had reached a settlement allowing Notre Dame to join the ACC effective July 1, 2013.
Try again.
Happy New Year to you too. You need to try again. You are dead wrong and as usual can't admit it and keep changing what you say and keep moving the goal post. You started by saying ND was scheduled 20 years out so couldn't get on till 2037. I corrected you and pointed out that they only played 5 ACC games a year not 8. You responded by saying well between their ACC games and Navy, USC and Stanford that only left one game a year. You failed to pick up on what I clearly said about them only having having to play 5 ACC games thus leaving 4 spots a year. You then claimed that they have a scheduling formula in place for the rest of their OOC games outside of the 8 games against ACC and the three rivals. They don't . They don't have to give up playing Stanford to play us and I never said they did. I simply said the only two that ND will play EVERY YEAR is Navy and their true rival USC. They are not wedded to Stanford. I follow ND as closely as Tulane. Read the linked article about how Kelly wants scheduling changes.Plus in his press conferences during the season he mentioned about having to go to California every year being a drain. Well they aren't getting rid of USC so that leaves Stanford.

You also clearly have no clue about the Shamrock series. They have played schools like Army and Arizona State in it. None of those are in your supposed limits on ND scheduling.

We all agree that there is very little chance of the matchup happening. However you have been dead wrong on their scheduling . Why don't you start the New Year off right and admit you were wrong and move on. Of course we all know there's less chance of that happening than the Tulane -ND matchup. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Actually the scheduling to 2037 is their 5 games a year against ACC teams. They do have openings. If we continue to progress we should see if they'd make it part of the Shamrock Series.
They play non conference Navy, Stanford and USC every year so that free’s up only one other non conference spot each year. Currently that spot is filled with Michigan and a bunch of SEC and MAC schools fill it up for quite sometime. They just don’t have room. It’s a fantasy I had at one time as well. Like I said the odds are better for us to meet in the Sugar Bowl then anytime during the regular season.
Actually it leaves 4 more games. They play 5 ACC and those 3 so that's eight.
Exactly.

I'm thinking that ND may start to schedule something like this:
5 ACC
Stanford
Navy
USC
1 Brand Name non-ACC P5 opponent
3 other G5 teams

The only difference between the above and what happened in 2017 is that there is one less P5 and one more G5.

Regardless as to how they change the scheduling, it won't really matter much in practice since a 1 loss ND would be long shot for a CFP slot unless it defeats at least 1 P5 champ at an absolute minimum.
Glad you understand it. Maybe you can help tps. :mrgreen:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s as much of a fantasy as us hosting LSU at Yulman. Or us getting a 40K seat stadium. When it happens then I’ll believe it. Everything I posted to refute you is accurate. I’m too busy to keep up the argument these days. Besides I know you’ll never admit being wrong on anything so there’s no reason to try to go further on this to do otherwise. If it happens in my lifetime then I’ll believe it. Once again we can agree to disagree.
As a football fan I’d love to see it but as a Tulane fan I know better.
Happy New Year to you as well. :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. Our conversation was about scheduling not possibilities of it happening. Nothing for me to admit being wrong about. I schooled you on ND scheduling. Well we all knew you couldn't admit it. None of your changing arguments held up . Happy New Year. :mrgreen:
swampnik
Surge

HoustonWave wrote:
swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Still remember the radio games in the 70's with Big Charlie Hall being in the Irish's face all day in Indy and the 60's game at Tulane stadium with a bad TU team that still brought out 41,000 Catholics for the night game. (wink)
Your memory may be getting foggy, like mine. The only time we played ND in the 70's was in November 1971--when Charlie Hall, like all freshmen, was playing on Tulane's freshmen team--the Baby Billow.
1971: that is exactly the day game I remember listening to with my Dad driving in car from Shreveport to Saint Joseph, Missouri. I guess ND had a lot of stations that could be picked up in different states (though radio KEEL AM carried TU FB back then also). Hall's name was being called all day! I just thought we played them 1-2 more times in the 70's.
Swamp, you may be thinking of our game at Michigan in 1972. Tulane went into that game rated in the top 25, after 3 or 4 wins early in the season. We got mauled at the Big House, but if I remember correctly, it was Charlie Hall's coming out party, as a top flight DT. I think he had a big game that day, and thereafter was recognized nationally.
H-Town, No it was not the Michigan game I was listening to in the car. I did realize though that the car trip with my Dad was actually more like 1974/75 TU-ND day game in Indiana (not 1971), and we were driving to Saint Joseph from Dallas. Perhaps that 1975 game was the last time the two teams have met on the FB field?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:LOL. Our conversation was about scheduling not possibilities of it happening. Nothing for me to admit being wrong about. I schooled you on ND scheduling. Well we all knew you couldn't admit it. None of your changing arguments held up . Happy New Year. :mrgreen:
Not exactly. And I have the possibility of winning the Powerball and donating $50 million to get Yulman expanded.
Happy New Year! :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. So much for not having the time.

It was exactly. Trying to divert to possibilities than admit how wrong you were. Expansion certainly wasn't an issue here either. Another poor attempt at diversion. Happy New Year! :mrgreen:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:LOL. Our conversation was about scheduling not possibilities of it happening. Nothing for me to admit being wrong about. I schooled you on ND scheduling. Well we all knew you couldn't admit it. None of your changing arguments held up . Happy New Year. :mrgreen:
Shamrock Series all but dead. Try again! :mrgreen:

https://www.onefootdown.com/2017/3/3/14 ... k-schedule
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave thinks he "schooled" us on ND scheduling. I've been a ND fan since before Joe Theisman changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with a trophy. And I'm with TPS: We have a better chance of landing LSU in Yulman than getting on the ND schedule, particularly if Dannen really believes he can only sign 1 for 1 deals. To get on the ND schedule we'd have to play twice in South Bend and MAYBE once in the Dome.

I've also been arguing for Tulane to do this since Kevin White was AD at ND. The publicity alone would benefit Tulane more than the $$ ND would pay us to play in South Bend.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:winwave thinks he "schooled" us on ND scheduling. I've been a ND fan since before Joe Theisman changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with a trophy. And I'm with TPS: We have a better chance of landing LSU in Yulman than getting on the ND schedule, particularly if Dannen really believes he can only sign 1 for 1 deals. To get on the ND schedule we'd have to play twice in South Bend and MAYBE once in the Dome.

I've also been arguing for Tulane to do this since Kevin White was AD at ND. The publicity alone would benefit Tulane more than the $$ ND would pay us to play in South Bend.
Kevin White couldn’t even find a way to get Tulane on the schedule when he was AD at ND.
ND is easily the most difficult school in the country to get on ones schedule. They have so many natural rivals being an independent that they want to keep going or rekindle.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

Try again. They took a brief respite b/c of the massive and expensive addition to the stadium so they wanted 7 home games for a brief period. For someone who claimed to be too busy to continue this conversation you sure have a lot of time to keep coming back and continuing to be wrong.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:winwave thinks he "schooled" us on ND scheduling. I've been a ND fan since before Joe Theisman changed the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with a trophy. And I'm with TPS: We have a better chance of landing LSU in Yulman than getting on the ND schedule, particularly if Dannen really believes he can only sign 1 for 1 deals. To get on the ND schedule we'd have to play twice in South Bend and MAYBE once in the Dome.

Work on your reading comprehension. I did school him on scheduling. All here agreed on the probability of us being on their schedule but he changed the conversation when he said they were scheduled out to 2037. I corrected him. He then kept trying to claim other things about their scheduling that were wrong and I kept correcting him. Like you he won't admit he's wrong. I schooled you last year on how to read the depth chart to determine how many more years a player at ND has left to play. As usual you just abandoned the thread rather than admit you were wrong. I've followed them longer than you and told you that in that thread last year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave, I've admitted I'm wrong at least 1000% more than you have on this board. You NEVER admit when you're wrong, and often change the argument. You don't know more about ND football than I do, or than a lot of others that post here. You just proclaim to know all...as you do thread after thread after thread.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Try again. They took a brief respite b/c of the massive and expensive addition to the stadium so they wanted 7 home games for a brief period. For someone who claimed to be too busy to continue this conversation you sure have a lot of time to keep coming back and continuing to be wrong.
They won’t want to give up a home game since they have the addition. It’s all but dead.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

They won’t want to give up a home game since they have the addition. It’s all but dead.
Not the case. It's huge recruiting tool . It's going to be played again.Glad your time has been cleared up.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:winwave, I've admitted I'm wrong at least 1000% more than you have on this board. You NEVER admit when you're wrong, and often change the argument. You don't know more about ND football than I do, or than a lot of others that post here. You just proclaim to know all...as you do thread after thread after thread.

BS. You only recently started after I called you out for just abandoning threads after being shown to be wrong. It's exactly what you did last year when I schooled you on how to read the depth chart. I clearly know more about it than you do.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I "abandon threads" because the argument gets old and most definitely not interesting to other posters that aren't arguing with you. You're one arrogant SOB as evidenced by the repeated statement of "I schooled you..."

Sometimes it's healthier to just move on rather than waste energy arguing with someone that NEVER admits they're wrong. Show me one thread where you admit you're wrong. Go ahead.

But you clearly know more about everything than anyone else. You've probably never been to an ND game, never been to a Shamrock series game, have no immediate family that went to ND, never donated to ND, and never come close to knowing as much as probably a few hundred thousand if not million fans that follow ND closer than you do. But you are the almighty winwave, and proclaim to know more than anyone else, so it's got to be true.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I "abandon threads" because the argument gets old and most definitely not interesting to other posters that aren't arguing with you. You're one arrogant SOB as evidenced by the repeated statement of "I schooled you..."

Sometimes it's healthier to just move on rather than waste energy arguing with someone that NEVER admits they're wrong. Show me one thread where you admit you're wrong. Go ahead.

But you clearly know more about everything than anyone else. You've probably never been to an ND game, never been to a Shamrock series game, have no immediate family that went to ND, never donated to ND, and never come close to knowing as much as probably a few hundred thousand if not million fans that follow ND closer than you do.
Completely agree. Been there done that!
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
H-Town, No it was not the Michigan game I was listening to in the car. I did realize though that the car trip with my Dad was actually more like 1974/75 TU-ND day game in Indiana (not 1971), and we were driving to Saint Joseph from Dallas. Perhaps that 1975 game was the last time the two teams have met on the FB field?
I graduated in 1975, and definitely would have remembered a Notre Dame game that year. We haven't played them since November 1971.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I "abandon threads" because the argument gets old and most definitely not interesting to other posters that aren't arguing with you. You're one arrogant SOB as evidenced by the repeated statement of "I schooled you..."

But you clearly know more about everything than anyone else. You've probably never been to an ND game, never been to a Shamrock series game, have no immediate family that went to ND, never donated to ND, and never come close to knowing as much as probably a few hundred thousand if not million fans that follow ND closer than you do. But you are the almighty winwave, and proclaim to know more than anyone else, so it's got to be true.
Complete BS. First off your getting personal b/c I have been right here and you have nothing left. In fact you're the one who looks for arguments. I said I schooled tps and I did. You jumped in saying he said he schooled "us". NEVER SAID THAT. No one is a more arrogant and miserable SOB than you . You constantly come into threads and your first post is you talking down to people.

Show me a thread where I was wrong. The mistake you and others make is that most threads are opinion threads. When you disagree with an opinion you'll mock it but that doesn't make it wrong. When things play out and the opinion you mocked turns out to be on the money you and others like you never go back and say hey you were right and I was wrong. I post things that upsets others little world and how they want things to be. When all is said and done I'm usually on the money.

As to ND we are talking you and me and like I said I schooled you last year on how to read the ND depth chart. FACT. Deal with it. I've been to see them in the Sugar Bowl . Seen them in BR when they played LSU. Been to the Shamrock Series in Boston and Texas. I split season tickets with a couple of other people and make at least once a year. Try again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

But you clearly know more about everything than anyone else. You've probably never been to an ND game, never been to a Shamrock series game, have no immediate family that went to ND, never donated to ND, and never come close to knowing as much as probably a few hundred thousand if not million fans that follow ND closer than you do.
Completely agree. Been there done that!
You were wrong throughout this thread. Getting personal rather than admit you were wrong is what you do.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:

Complete BS. First off your getting personal b/c I have been right here and you have nothing left. In fact you're the one who looks for arguments. I said I schooled tps and I did. You jumped in saying he said he schooled "us". NEVER SAID THAT. No one is a more arrogant and miserable SOB than you . You constantly come into threads and your first post is you talking down to people.

Show me a thread where I was wrong. The mistake you and others make is that most threads are opinion threads. When you disagree with an opinion you'll mock it but that doesn't make it wrong. When things play out and the opinion you mocked turns out to be on the money you and others like you never go back and say hey you were right and I was wrong. I post things that upsets others little world and how they want things to be. When all is said and done I'm usually on the money.

As to ND we are talking you and me and like I said I schooled you last year on how to read the ND depth chart. FACT. Deal with it. I've been to see them in the Sugar Bowl . Seen them in BR when they played LSU. Been to the Shamrock Series in Boston and Texas. I split season tickets with a couple of other people and make at least once a year. Try again.
How about Army vs. Navy? Army has won the last two and should have won in 2015, they're the better program right now. But you would never admit to being wrong about that, either.

And if you look back a page IN THIS THREAD, the 16th post I believe begins with me saying I was wrong. But there again, you overlook everything that doesn't support your argument.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You are the one who came here with your prejudice to both programs and claiming how mighty both were and that you were the only one who knew how great they both are now. We knew they had better coaches and were better teams now I just told you they weren't what you make them out to be. They aren't. Almost don't count in 2015. Army beat Navy in 2016 when Navy lost their QB late in the season. They beat them this year. Big deal. Navy clearly plays the tougher schedule. So out of two middling programs that no one cares about till the day of that game the argument can certainly be made that Navy is still the better team. Then throw in that Navy is still rated ahead of Army in post season rankings and the argument gets even stronger.

Yes you did admit about being wrong in this thread. As I already said you started admitting it as soon as I pointed out how you just abandon threads rather than admit you were wrong. Just like the thread where you were wrong about ND's depth chart.