Tulane Women Basketball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

USF owns the Lady Wave having won the last 8 in a row. The Wave has never beaten them in the AAC.
Getting blown out again on National TV 48-22 mid 3rd Quarter.

Bigschtick
Riptide

Pretty ugly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote:Pretty ugly!
A Sunday basketball would sure like to forget.
anEngineer
Riptide

The USF women's basketball program is built as a European basketball farm system. Of their 12 players, 8 are from Europe, 4 are Americans. That's the way Coach Fernandez builds his team and they are very good. Tulane could certainly do that if they chose to. Tulane signed a girl for 2017 from the Spanish Youth National team who was a teammate of a current USF freshman. The Tulane recruit did poorly on her test for English-second-language students and could not be admitted.

Is that Coach Stockton's fault? Maybe that's why they are reluctant to do that more often. Maybe USF has more opportunity for non-English speaking students. In AAC women's basketball, UConn is 1, USF is 2 and the competition is after that. This year will be a struggle for the Wave women due to youth at guard.
RobertM320
Green Wave

That just seems odd, given that there are so many international students at Tulane. You'd think testing wouldn't be an issue. If you're smart, you're smart, regardless of what language you speak. A shame to miss out on a good player for that reason, unless maybe she was more of a USF type student than a Tulane type student.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

anEngineer wrote:
Is that Coach Stockton's fault? Maybe that's why they are reluctant to do that more often. Maybe USF has more opportunity for non-English speaking students. In AAC women's basketball, UConn is 1, USF is 2 and the competition is after that. This year will be a struggle for the Wave women due to youth at guard.
For an individual not passing a test, no. But for not having a broader recruiting program - yes. Recruiting is tough business. If one fails, does that mean you don't try again?
We've largely been soft recruiters for a decade now, and, as a result, have a NIT program (which will be lucky to make the NIT this year).
JerseyWave
Riptide

At what point does Tulane turn up the heat on Coach Stockton's seat and say thanks for 25 years of good coaching, but mediocrity is no longer the goal for this program. The expectation should be making the NCAA tournament.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:At what point does Tulane turn up the heat on Coach Stockton's seat and say thanks for 25 years of good coaching, but mediocrity is no longer the goal for this program. The expectation should be making the NCAA tournament.
Lisa has been a very good coach at Tulane but I have always believed we are just wasting money paying a women's Bball coach a P5 salary. But I am biased as women's Bball stinks.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:At what point does Tulane turn up the heat on Coach Stockton's seat and say thanks for 25 years of good coaching, but mediocrity is no longer the goal for this program. The expectation should be making the NCAA tournament.
No time soon.
She got another extension last year, despite several years left on her contract.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Lisa has been a very good coach at Tulane but I have always believed we are just wasting money paying a women's Bball coach a P5 salary. But I am biased as women's Bball stinks.
She has benefited like others from the low bar syndrome at Tulane. We don't have the same barriers in women's athletics. Yes they have pro league's now but they don't grow up thinking that will be there life. They are more inclined to get a quality education. I asked her at a committee meeting before last season about her expectations for making the NCAA tournament. You could see the surprise on her face by even being asked that. She hesitated before answering and you could tell she didn't expect to at all. She's retired on the job. It's time to move on.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Lisa’s early NCAA success (every year from 1995-2003) set the bar high. I believe she’ll continue to coach as long as she wants to. Up until recently she’s owned LSU. But there is frustration in not being able to beat USF. Not beating UCONN is one thing but we need to beat USF every now and then. We also need to get back to the NCAA tournament on a more consistent basis as well. The NIT is not very exciting at this point. Have faith in Lisa and Allen they will get us back to where we need to be.
Here’s a list of Lisa’s NCAA appearances:
1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2010, 2015
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
She has benefited like others from the low bar syndrome at Tulane. We don't have the same barriers in women's athletics. Yes they have pro league's now but they don't grow up thinking that will be there life. They are more inclined to get a quality education.
When you boil it down, the program is about what our baseball program was under late-era Jones (just with the NIT to attempt to mask the reality). He felt the heat, and he had two top 6 teams.
When we joined a league with U Conn, she should have been stoked...we are in the same league with THE team, get 2 games a year against them, and this should have been the chance to really elevate the program. Nothing.
Frey works his tail off, but they need some young recruiters (and have for years). They are well-coached and get the most out of the talent.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Here’s a list of Lisa’s NCAA appearances:
2 in the last 14 years.
That's unacceptable.
And the team is a basketcase right now...and that's with the best players she's had here in a decade.
She should not have some "coach as long as she wants to" dictum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
2 in the last 14 years.
That's unacceptable.
And the team is a basketcase right now...and that's with the best players she's had here in a decade.
You are correct. LBS needs to be gone.She never owned LSU. She finally won some when they were down.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
2 in the last 14 years.
That's unacceptable.
You are correct. LBS needs to be gone.She never owned LSU. She finally won some when they were down.
LSU’s Sue Gunter quit playing us once we got good. Pokey who took her place won most of the time against us because she slept around to get good players was fired because of it (they elevated Van Chancellor to take her place). After that they hired their current coach Nikki C for $1 million a year. Lisa has beaten Nikki more than she has beaten her. At one point she had won 4 out of 5. Yes we are having a bad year no denying that but that’s no reason to diminish the great accomplishments that Lisa has achieved over her career here. Before Lisa we never made the NCAA’s. My point being she set a high bar for herself and those who will follow her.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm not disparaging her. There was only a two year period where we didn't play LSU. She's 8-14 against them and most of those wins have come after their program started their slide. She's 3-11 in the NCAA tourney. Like I've said I don't give into the LBS. Just getting there isn't enough. You need to build on it. As I've also said we don't have the drawbacks in women's sports that we do in the mens.I didn't care for her response at all last year when I asked about NCAA tourney expectations. It was clear she didn't have any. I appreciate her efforts but as long as your taking that check you need to produce at high levels.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:I'm not disparaging her. There was only a two year period where we didn't play LSU. She's 8-14 against them and most of those wins have come after their program started their slide. She's 3-11 in the NCAA tourney. Like I've said I don't give into the LBS. Just getting there isn't enough. You need to build on it. As I've also said we don't have the drawbacks in women's sports that we do in the mens.I didn't care for her response at all last year when I asked about NCAA tourney expectations. It was clear she didn't have any. I appreciate her efforts but as long as your taking that check you need to produce at high levels.
I agree will some of that but it still doesn’t change the facts. You could reasonably assume had we played the years they backed out Lisa would be 10-14. The years that LSU was really good they beat everyone because of Pokey Shenanigans. The most recent meetings Lisa has won 4 of 7. Tulane will always be playing for 2nd place in this league. They are definitely struggling this season and not close to being 2nd this season. Disappointing for sure but I’m not convinced a coaching change will lead to a big jump NCAA victories or appearances. I’d like to compare our budget in WBB to USF’s.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

I don't buy this business that she created heightened expectations; that had she not gotten us to the NCAA, we'd be happy with NITs most years? Nah. Different time, different era...we didn't try in women's hoops prior to Candi Harvey. We put a lot of resources into this program.
Yes it's U Conn's league - I would think playing in a league with the best program in the country and probably in history is a good thing.
Beating LSU is nice, but ultimately fleeting without NCAA appearances.
We're also playing a roster of 12 players, when 15 are allowed. Why is that? We lose 2 seniors, and she signed 2 players for next season. Still going with 12? Maybe they have 3 transfers lined up (real transfers -not doing favors). We'll see.
2 years ago, we lost a productive player after her freshman year for some unknown/bizarre reason. A couple of years ago, the first player with size that we had signed with size in ages left after a month.
And now we seem to be tanking.
She's a good coach; I don't want her fired. I want her to fix it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:I'm not disparaging her. There was only a two year period where we didn't play LSU. She's 8-14 against them and most of those wins have come after their program started their slide. She's 3-11 in the NCAA tourney. Like I've said I don't give into the LBS. Just getting there isn't enough. You need to build on it. As I've also said we don't have the drawbacks in women's sports that we do in the mens.I didn't care for her response at all last year when I asked about NCAA tourney expectations. It was clear she didn't have any. I appreciate her efforts but as long as your taking that check you need to produce at high levels.
I agree will some of that but it still doesn’t change the facts. You could reasonably assume had we played the years they backed out Lisa would be 10-14. The years that LSU was really good they beat everyone because of Pokey Shenanigans. The most recent meetings Lisa has won 4 of 7. Tulane will always be playing for 2nd place in this league. They are definitely struggling this season and not close to being 2nd this season. Disappointing for sure but I’m not convinced a coaching change will lead to a big jump NCAA victories or appearances. I’d like to compare our budget in WBB to USF’s.
It doesn't change the facts. We haven't reached any great heights. We were in a weak CUSA most of the time. As Box noted we've lost good players right after they got here. If we are going to say we can't win because the other team has more resources we might as well give it up. Time to get it fixed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: It doesn't change the facts. We haven't reached any great heights. We were in a weak CUSA most of the time. As Box noted we've lost good players right after they got here. If we are going to say we can't win because the other team has more resources we might as well give it up. Time to get it fixed.
Being in a weak CUSA actually hurt hopes for an at large bid. There were a few years we were left out because the league was a one bidder. What good players left? Where are they and what have they done that is so good?
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: It doesn't change the facts. We haven't reached any great heights. We were in a weak CUSA most of the time. As Box noted we've lost good players right after they got here. If we are going to say we can't win because the other team has more resources we might as well give it up. Time to get it fixed.
Being in a weak CUSA actually hurt hopes for an at large bid. There were a few years we were left out because the league was a one bidder. What good players left? Where are they and what have they done that is so good?
And then we went into the AAC, so the "weak C-USA" was no longer an excuse.
BTW, when we were good, C-USA was not weak: Lou, Cincy, Marquette and DePaul and then TCU could all play.

Taylor Emery had an excellent freshman year at Tulane. She transferred out of the blue for some undisclosed reason, and is now averaging almost 17 points per game, 45% from 3, for Virginia Tech.
Stockton has been playing with a 12 player roster, when 15 are allowed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Point being if we were so good we should have been getting that auto bid. We just have different expectations for the programs.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Point being if we were so good we should have been getting that auto bid. We just have different expectations for the programs.
I definitely expect better than what we’ve showed so far this season and going forward. The past is the past.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Stockton has been playing with a 12 player roster, when 15 are allowed.
This has been brought up several times. Simple solution: pick up the phone next week during the coaches show and ASK HER DIRECTLY. Let see what she says.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
And then we went into the AAC, so the "weak C-USA" was no longer an excuse.
BTW, when we were good, C-USA was not weak: Lou, Cincy, Marquette and DePaul and then TCU could all play.

Taylor Emery had an excellent freshman year at Tulane. She transferred out of the blue for some undisclosed reason, and is now averaging almost 17 points per game, 45% from 3, for Virginia Tech.
Stockton has been playing with a 12 player roster, when 15 are allowed.
https://www.outsports.com/2017/5/4/1555 ... basketball
Taylor Emery will be suiting up for Virginia Tech next season. The out lesbian had previously played at Tulane but left after the 2015-16 season. She was deciding between the Hokies and offers to play for Ole Miss and Oklahoma State.
Last edited by Show Me on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.