Attention Dannen Debunkers

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

While one game does not a season make would ya settle for a 10 point win,ON THE ROAD when we are a 9 1/2 dog ?

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:While one game does not a season make would ya settle for a 10 point win,ON THE ROAD when we are a 9 1/2 dog ?
President Fitts' smart choices are bearing fruit with less patience required than anticipated.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
JerseyWave
Riptide

Fritz just signed Tulane’s best class by far post Katrina and Dunleavy has taken basketball to level it hasn’t seen since the Perry Clark days. Dannen cleaned house in the Wilson Center but there is still a lot of work to do. The bar was set so low during the Cow/Dick era. Dannen has to start getting people in the seats at Tulane homegames, get the venues filled up. Finally, Tulane has a product worth selling.
puffy
Surge

The one thing I could point to last year was the individual improvement in players. Seems like that has continued this season, especially with Frazier.

Next big step is to follow that up with a win at home.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

I'm very pleased for Tulane Athletics. The dark clouds are lifting. Hopefully the word gets out and fans return to watch entertaining products in basketball and football.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
oliveandblue
Surge

The real upgrade is ditching Cowen for ANYONE. If Fitts arrived 10 years earlier, man...
anEngineer
Riptide

The bottom line is that the teams are fun to watch and only when they play elite programs do you figure it as a loss. Eventually, I expect that to change as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So we won our first AAC basketball game of the year. On the road. Something we haven't done much of since joining the AAC. And yes, the players are improved. But there's going to be nights, as we saw in the pre-conference schedule, where this team takes it's lumps. Maybe we've improved enough to play .500 in conference. The football team, which signed it's best class on paper, was 5-6. Baseball is picked 8th in a weak AAC conference. Is this really where we want to be? Yes, we MAY be on the right path, but anyone that's followed Tulane Athletics a long time has seen this before. We need to win and win big in the AAC, and sustain that winning for a number of years. Bowl games, conference championships, or at minimal competing for conference championships, and being competitive against the top programs over a number of years will tell me we've turned the corner.

Last nights win was fun to enjoy, but don't over play its' importance. It certainly doesn't mean that all is fixed on Willow Street. This thread reeks of YOGWF rah rah shish goomba. Have at me for being realistic. But compete for a bit more than a December road win against a team picked to finish in the middle of the pack.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree with most of what you say there D. Please don't let Temple be our version of football's Tulsa game. Let's keep winning. The one thing you are wrong about is the AAC being a weak baseball conference. When we were in CUSA it usually finished 5th but never higher as far as conference strength. The AAC since we've been in has finished as high as third. I know it's a minor sport but you brought it up. Just setting the record straight.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Maybe we've improved enough to play .500 in conference. The football team, which signed it's best class on paper, was 5-6. Baseball is picked 8th in a weak AAC conference. Is this really where we want to be?
Did anyone say that? I'm sure the answer from every one of us would be no. But, is where we are now better than where we were in August 2016, only 16 months ago? As I've said 1000 times, its a process. Unless you're 93 years old and on your deathbed, just sit back, take a deep breath and let the process run its course. I assure you, in another 16 months (Apr/May 2019) things will be a lot better than they are now.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Maybe we've improved enough to play .500 in conference. The football team, which signed it's best class on paper, was 5-6. Baseball is picked 8th in a weak AAC conference. Is this really where we want to be?
Did anyone say that? I'm sure the answer from every one of us would be no. But, is where we are now better than where we were in August 2016, only 16 months ago? As I've said 1000 times, its a process. Unless you're 93 years old and on your deathbed, just sit back, take a deep breath and let the process run its course. I assure you, in another 16 months (Apr/May 2019) things will be a lot better than they are now.
No, but Dannen has been here two years. And it's premature to say that in December of 2019 we'll be where we hoped to be when he was hired in 2015. We all get that it's a process. But by most measures (WINS AND LOSSES) we're taking baby steps forward with a few backwards as well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dannen's been here two years but his coaches didn't coach their first game until Aug 2016. As you said, it's all about wins and losses and they couldnt win without playing games. Again, you're expecting to wave an overnight wand and have us be Alabama in football, North Carolina in basketball and LSU in baseball. Life doesn't happen that way. If by Summer 2019 you're not satisfied with where we are then you have grounds.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

The scrotum rash from fifteen years of cowdick fungus wasn’t going to be cured in one year. But it’s clear that the aura in tulane Athletics is better. We aren’t perfect but we are better off than a windbag telling us how to have excellence in athletics without spending a nickel.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote:The scrotum rash from fifteen years of cowdick fungus wasn’t going to be cured in one year. But it’s clear that the aura in tulane Athletics is better. We aren’t perfect but we are better off than a windbag telling us how to have excellence in athletics without spending a nickel.
And we didn't even get to have fun while we got the Cowen Crotch Rot. :twisted:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

Dave breslin wrote:The scrotum rash from fifteen years of cowdick fungus wasn’t going to be cured in one year. But it’s clear that the aura in tulane Athletics is better. We aren’t perfect but we are better off than a windbag telling us how to have excellence in athletics without spending a nickel.
Can't tell you how much I miss that headline-grabbing fool running up and down the sidelines waving to the fans with his green dyed hair because, after all, it was all about HIM! The Great Scott Cowen!
The contrast with our President and AD gives Louisianans & the Tulane alumni diaspora a common thread of academic & athletic success to support.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Dannen's been here two years but his coaches didn't coach their first game until Aug 2016. As you said, it's all about wins and losses and they couldnt win without playing games. Again, you're expecting to wave an overnight wand and have us be Alabama in football, North Carolina in basketball and LSU in baseball. Life doesn't happen that way. If by Summer 2019 you're not satisfied with where we are then you have grounds.
No, I'm not expecting instant success. I'm simply arguing that it's too early to tell what's going to hatch out of the egg we're all sitting on. And by the way, didn't we sweep LSU in baseball? :P :lol: :roll: :oops: :lol: