Tulane whips Temple 85-75

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Temple was picked 7th before the season. The game is Thursday at 6 on ESPN2 :

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2017/12 ... espn2.aspx
Last edited by winwave on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

This game will be a good yardstick to predict the balance of the season. Temple was predicted to finish the AAC in the middle of the pack whereas our Green Guys were in the bottom three. We must play competitively, something we haven't done on the road this year. Temple has one semi-quality win against 11-1 Auburn.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They've played a much better pre-conference schedule. They also beat Clemson and Wisconsin. Their loss to Villanova was comparable to our loss to UNC in that both teams trailed by 20 relatively early and the game wasn't close.

They've played 11 games: 3 Wins in the Charleston Classic against ODU, Auburn and Clemson. A neutral site loss by 4 to LaSalle, a 16 point win at MSG over South Carolina, a 4 point loss at George Washington, followed by a 4 point home win over Wisconsin. They then sandwiched 3 point home victories over St. Joe's and Drexel around a blowout loss at home to Villanova. Last Friday they ended the pre-conference season with a blowout loss at Georgia.

This is not a Temple team that should dominate us. At the same time, Tulane hasn't played well on the road, and needs to step up play on the road. Heck, we've won 4 home games in 3 years in the AAC, so I guess we haven't been that competitive at home, in conference, either.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

GreenLantern wrote:This game will be a good yardstick to predict the balance of the season. Temple was predicted to finish the AAC in the middle of the pack whereas our Green Guys were in the bottom three. We must play competitively, something we haven't done on the road this year. Temple has one semi-quality win against 11-1 Auburn.
Are we almost out of yardsticks? We've had several yardstick games this year and didn't do well. We now have a body of work from this season that says we're not very good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

netshorty wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:This game will be a good yardstick to predict the balance of the season. Temple was predicted to finish the AAC in the middle of the pack whereas our Green Guys were in the bottom three. We must play competitively, something we haven't done on the road this year. Temple has one semi-quality win against 11-1 Auburn.
Are we almost out of yardsticks? We've had several yardstick games this year and didn't do well. We now have a body of work from this season that says we're not very good.
And again, there's the issue. You expect them to go from "putrid" to "very good" in just one offseason? This season, I'm not even looking for good. I'd just like to see signs that we're "average", with an upward trend. I'll look for "good" next season, and then "very good" after that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Should be more competitive:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... af16d.html

Temple is favored by 10.5.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
And again, there's the issue. You expect them to go from "putrid" to "very good" in just one offseason? This season, I'm not even looking for good. I'd just like to see signs that we're "average", with an upward trend. I'll look for "good" next season, and then "very good" after that.
Your reading of the post with an emphasis on the "very" part of "were not very good" which changes the intended meaning. My intent was to say we're just not very good the same way you'd say you're just not very funny. Apologies as I should have remembered from my English 101 days that very is a very lazy word to use in writing. :) It was not intended to mean "we're not really good" implying that expectation. Reread and I think you would agree with my post.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Here's a surprising quote from the Advocate article which winwave provided:
The website http://RealtimeRPI.com forecasts an 11-7 finish in the AAC (for Tulane) and a tie for third behind newcomer Wichita State.
I am more than a little surprised by this prediction. I think everyone on this forum would readily take 11-7.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Here's a surprising quote from the Advocate article which winwave provided:
The website http://RealtimeRPI.com forecasts an 11-7 finish in the AAC (for Tulane) and a tie for third behind newcomer Wichita State.
I am more than a little surprised by this prediction. I think everyone on this forum would readily take 11-7.
The article went on to say that virtually no other "guru" website predicted nearly as good a conference record for Tulane. The AAC Coaches Poll put us in the bottom three of the league. Yes, I would take 11-7, and 20-10 going into the AAC tournament in a heartbeat!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt we'd take that.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave up 9 - 2 early.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
GreenLantern
Riptide

No broadcast on 1280 by Graf?
cajunfanatico
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:No broadcast on 1280 by Graf?
I'm listening on Tulane IMG sports network.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The game is still early, but this has been the best stretch of D I've seen us play this year. The blowout game in Jamaica (Colorado St?) our opponent just couldn't hit shots. This has been an outstanding effort to play team D. Something I've been critical of, as I thought they played NBA D most of the "pre-season".
GreenLantern
Riptide

Tulane leads 26-15. A chorus of boos from the Temple fans. I like it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

This is definitely the best we've played in quite awhile.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Temple cuts it to 4 and Dunleavy calls time out. Should have been a minute earlier, or so, as our offense had gone pathetically stagnant! But at least he called the timeout, which he didn't do a year ago.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Caleb Daniels = Quality Minutes...going to be really good for us.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Temple cuts it to 4 and Dunleavy calls time out. Should have been a minute earlier, or so, as our offense had gone pathetically stagnant! But at least he called the timeout, which he didn't do a year ago.
Because Ona Embo came out. As soon as he went back in at the two minute mark you could see the better ball movement. We closed with a 7-2 run to lead 38-29 at half.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote:Caleb Daniels = Quality Minutes...going to be really good for us.
Yeah, you right. He was valedictorian at St Aug. Quality young man.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Temple cuts it to 4 and Dunleavy calls time out. Should have been a minute earlier, or so, as our offense had gone pathetically stagnant! But at least he called the timeout, which he didn't do a year ago.
Because Ona Embo came out. As soon as he went back in at the two minute mark you could see the better ball movement. We closed with a 7-2 run to lead 38-29 at half.
I think he called the timeout to get Embo back in the game. Certainly better to be up 9 at the half than 4 with 1:45 to go.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rose's 3 pt play that fouled out Ona-Embo was a blatant walk. MAYBE it was a foul on Ray, but he clearly took three steps.
Houma de Wave
Swell

YEAH YOU RIGHT!!!!! PLAY HARD FOR 40 MINUTES!!!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Complete game and Dunleavy coached one helluva ROAD VICTORY!!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Can't stop grinning