Wave picked 8th in AAC Preseason Baseball Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Post Reply
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17929
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Image


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 683
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Jesus, that is disgraceful! We should never be lower than 4.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17929
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Pepper wrote:Jesus, that is disgraceful! We should never be lower than 4.
Yep. I can’t remember ever being picked that low in baseball.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6519
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Unlike a school like UConn in basketball, who gets the benefit of the doubt even when they're bad, we get no residual goodwill from our reputation of usually being very good.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

If the 2018 season pans out as this poll suggests, any hopes for the Jewett era will be dashed. Such a finish will also confirm that a coach's obsession with how his players wear their socks is a recipe for disaster when trying to recruit today's capable players.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6519
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 pm

And if the 2018 season doesn't pan out the way the poll suggests and we end up being very competitive, it will confirm that the people doing this poll were too lazy to actually do the research and just went by last years results.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm

RobertM320 wrote:And if the 2018 season doesn't pan out the way the poll suggests and we end up being very competitive, it will confirm that the people doing this poll were too lazy to actually do the research and just went by last years results.
They're not going by last years results. We finished 4th or 5th last year IIRC. They're going by the fact that we lost almost every major contributor except for Spoon.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6519
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:And if the 2018 season doesn't pan out the way the poll suggests and we end up being very competitive, it will confirm that the people doing this poll were too lazy to actually do the research and just went by last years results.
They're not going by last years results. We finished 4th or 5th last year IIRC. They're going by the fact that we lost almost every major contributor except for Spoon.
I don't disagree. My point being, if UConn has a bad year in basketball and ends up with almost a full roster turnover, they're still going to be given the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they're bringing in. We've almost always rebounded from a bad year to a successful season the next year.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:And if the 2018 season doesn't pan out the way the poll suggests and we end up being very competitive, it will confirm that the people doing this poll were too lazy to actually do the research and just went by last years results.
They're not going by last years results. We finished 4th or 5th last year IIRC. They're going by the fact that we lost almost every major contributor except for Spoon.
I don't disagree. My point being, if UConn has a bad year in basketball and ends up with almost a full roster turnover, they're still going to be given the benefit of the doubt regardless of who they're bringing in. We've almost always rebounded from a bad year to a successful season the next year.
8th,7th,3rd,7th and 10th. That was our finishes consecutively in the 5 years prior to David Pierce, so almost always rebound from a bad year might not be accurate. I don't like the cross sport comparisons but Tulane baseball isn't uconn basketball.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12444
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat May 26, 2018 12:26 am

Profoundwizard wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm
RobertM320 wrote:And if the 2018 season doesn't pan out the way the poll suggests and we end up being very competitive, it will confirm that the people doing this poll were too lazy to actually do the research and just went by last years results.
They're not going by last years results. We finished 4th or 5th last year IIRC. They're going by the fact that we lost almost every major contributor except for Spoon.
Looks like they were right.
Let's Do This!
Post Reply