UNC Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:You guys act like expecting us to compete with other D1 schools is unheard of. You do realize we're no longer in the shitty C-USA? We play Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple, Houston, UCF, SMU? Those teams expect to compete with UNC, they don't care what name is their jersey. We play in a conference with teams better than UNC. Losing by 20 points minutes into the game is unacceptable! Keep this up and we'll get kicked out of the AAC.
Expecting us to compete with outher D1 schools is acceptable. Expecting us to be competitive coming off a six win season, on the road against the defending national champions IS asking a bit much. I'm just sickh

of all the people who repeat over and over about how we've been down for decades, and then expect someone to wave their wand overnight and everything will be roses. Sorry to break it to you, but that's not how its going to happen.
I call BS. Perry Clark went into Freedom Hall and made a statement beating the Cards. That put Tulane basketball on the legitimate map. You don’t get there racking up home wins against nobodies. You beat a quality team on the road to gain respect. Once again many here revert to the Tulane low bar syndrome. We were much more competitive last year. This year was an embarrassment if you trying to accomplish anything.
I would much rather see Tulane schedule more quality non conference opponents instead of the usual Nichols St, Southern, NJIT, Texas Pan American type schools. Stronger early season games should help prepare the team for conference play. It was really disppapointing that Tulane came out cold shooting at Carolina, never making a game of it.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I think the disappointment from most came from the fact that it’s was never a game. From the start UNC jumped out and maintained a 25-30 point plus margin the entire game. I thought we’d at least hang close in the first 20 minutes. The zone they play will give AAC teams the blueprint on how to defend us. Hopefully we can learn something from this complete beat down.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:I think the disappointment from most came from the fact that it’s was never a game. From the start UNC jumped out and maintained a 25-30 point plus margin the entire game. I thought we’d at least hang close in the first 20 minutes. The zone they play will give AAC teams the blueprint on how to defend us. Hopefully we can learn something from this complete beat down.
I agree. The fact that the game was, for all intents and purposes, over by the second TV timeout is REALLY disappointing. It's not simply that we play NBA D, we play NBA offense as well. Unless we shoot well, we're going to get our jock straps handed to us often again this year. The good news is the team seems to be improving. The bad news is Coach Dunleavy seems hell bent on playing an NBA style that, unless you've got a few legitimate NBA prospects, you're not going to win consistently in the college game doing so. Certainly, this style of play gives little chance for an upset unless the team shoots lights out. It won't win at Georgia State or at Carolina.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Ruski wrote:You guys act like expecting us to compete with other D1 schools is unheard of. You do realize we're no longer in the shitty C-USA? We play Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple, Houston, UCF, SMU? Those teams expect to compete with UNC, they don't care what name is their jersey. We play in a conference with teams better than UNC. Losing by 20 points minutes into the game is unacceptable! Keep this up and we'll get kicked out of the AAC.
Expecting us to compete with outher D1 schools is acceptable. Expecting us to be competitive coming off a six win season, on the road against the defending national champions IS asking a bit much. I'm just sick of all the people who repeat over and over about how we've been down for decades, and then expect someone to wave their wand overnight and everything will be roses. Sorry to break it to you, but that's not how its going to happen.
I call BS. Perry Clark went into Freedom Hall and made a statement beating the Cards. That put Tulane basketball on the legitimate map. You don’t get there racking up home wins against nobodies. You beat a quality team on the road to gain respect. Once again many here revert to the Tulane low bar syndrome. We were much more competitive last year. This year was an embarrassment if you trying to accomplish anything.
I don't disagree with you. To put baskeball on the map, you need a statement win. But even Perry didn't do that in year two, with mostly other people's players. In some ways, just like with UAB football this year, he got to start off from square one with his own players who fit his vision. If MD is still here in year 4 and he's not able to compete week in and week out with the Cincys and Wichita States of the conference, and occasionally win a road game against a ranked team, then he won't have made that statement. But to expect it in year 2 from where we were is ridiculous. Its the same as if you were expecting Willie Fritz to be able to beat OU this season. Its not reasonable.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UNC coming to town in two weeks to play Ohio St at the Smoothie King Center on Dec 23rd.
Kentucky will play UCLA in the DH. Now that’s worth going to.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Expecting us to compete with outher D1 schools is acceptable. Expecting us to be competitive coming off a six win season, on the road against the defending national champions IS asking a bit much. I'm just sick of all the people who repeat over and over about how we've been down for decades, and then expect someone to wave their wand overnight and everything will be roses. Sorry to break it to you, but that's not how its going to happen.
I don't disagree with you. To put baskeball on the map, you need a statement win. But even Perry didn't do that in year two, with mostly other people's players. In some ways, just like with UAB football this year, he got to start off from square one with his own players who fit his vision. If MD is still here in year 4 and he's not able to compete week in and week out with the Cincys and Wichita States of the conference, and occasionally win a road game against a ranked team, then he won't have made that statement. But to expect it in year 2 from where we were is ridiculous. Its the same as if you were expecting Willie Fritz to be able to beat OU this season. Its not reasonable.
Even without pixie dust or magic wands, a hoops program can be turned around in a year or two simply because a small number of recruits and a good coach can make a very big impact. I don't believe it is unreasonable in year two of a new coach that we can't go into any arena and at least give Top 25 programs a game.

Typically, a good coach should be able to do both, win with other coach's players and build the program further with his own. MD won the same number of conference games as the poorly coached Conroy team the year before (and did worse in the tourney), while returning 4 of the 6 top scorers from the year prior (sans Jurreau who was injured half the season). Losing a guy like Dabney (37% shooter and took highest number of FGA) actually allowed for more shots from guys like Reynolds (7 more FGA per game), who shot it at a 42.4% clip. And Ryan Smith closed the gap (not saying he was the same calibur) on the production Dylan O had given us (3.4 fewer PPG, 3.8 fewer RPG, in 8.2 fewer Minutes per game). And he had a few freshman that were hopeful contributors. For whatever reason, we did not improve from Conroy's last year to MD's first year. So when it's said "from where we were", as a comparison to what we can do this year, many will contend that we shouldn't have sunken to such lows.

But we agree, we did sink to new lows and were terrible last year. The combination of MD having a year of college ball under his belt, his two transfers, improvement from his returning players and maybe some contributions by a freshman or two gives us hope that we'd be much improved this year. That's what we're still trying to figure out. UNC game was a good test to measure that improvement. We didn't fair well.
netshorty
Surge

Wofford went into the Dean Dome and shocked UNC last night. They had a losing record last year. They were about the same underdog we were {25.5 pts). This IS NOT to say we should have expected a similar result and won. But to expect that we be competitive IS NOT asking too much in year 2 of MD.
Pepper
Swell

netshorty wrote:Wofford went into the Dean Dome and shocked UNC last night. They had a losing record last year. They were about the same underdog we were {25.5 pts). This IS NOT to say we should have expected a similar result and won. But to expect that we be competitive IS NOT asking too much in year 2 of MD.
Wofford has been a basketball program than ours for the last 10 years.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
netshorty
Surge

Pepper wrote:
netshorty wrote:Wofford went into the Dean Dome and shocked UNC last night. They had a losing record last year. They were about the same underdog we were {25.5 pts). This IS NOT to say we should have expected a similar result and won. But to expect that we be competitive IS NOT asking too much in year 2 of MD.
I

Are you stating that as just a fact or the reason they could go to UNC and win end we couldn't be competitive?
Pepper
Swell

netshorty wrote:
Pepper wrote:
I

Are you stating that as just a fact or the reason they could go to UNC and win end we couldn't be competitive?
No, I'm stating that a school the size of Wofford has been consistently better than our program. This was no fluke. They are good and we are bad.
anEngineer
Riptide

When I saw that Wofford beat UNC, I knew this thread would be back. The chronic complainers didn't have much to say yesterday on FB signing day so this was an obvious landing spot. If somebody else could beat UNC, Tulane is horrible if they didn't do it. Yeah, yeah we all know the routine. Wofford had a couple of shooters get hot and they won. Good for them. If Frazier or Reynolds had gotten hot, Tulane would have been more competitive and maybe had a shot to win. That's why they play the game. If they play again tomorrow, maybe UNC beats them by 25.

It says NOTHING about Tulane's basketball program. Neither team was thinking about Tulane at the time. But that's fine. Have your fun finding things to grouse about. Maybe some second level program will beat Florida St and you can re-visit that thread as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think the point that the cheerleaders are missing is this: Tulane hasn't given us a result on the field of play or court to be happy about in a very long time. VERY LONG TIME. We play good teams and get blown out and are not competitive game after game. So if pointing that out makes us "chronic complainers" maybe we're just not willing to accept being chronic losers. We celebrated "only losing by 3" to UConn in women's basketball. That's how bad it is, we have to celebrate a near loss.

Yesterday, on paper, was a very good day for Tulane Football. Let's see it translate into wins IN BIG GAMES not games against Tulsa or Grambling. We all want to see our Athletics programs have games against teams the average sports fans recognize as good teams and win every once and a while. Until that happens, we have a whole lot to complain about. And if you've been around the program for 30-40 years, you have to wonder if we'll ever see a return to glory in our lifetimes.

But, what the hell, our Law School has a good bar passing rate.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

anEngineer wrote:When I saw that Wofford beat UNC, I knew this thread would be back. The chronic complainers didn't have much to say yesterday on FB signing day so this was an obvious landing spot. If somebody else could beat UNC, Tulane is horrible if they didn't do it. Yeah, yeah we all know the routine. Wofford had a couple of shooters get hot and they won. Good for them. If Frazier or Reynolds had gotten hot, Tulane would have been more competitive and maybe had a shot to win. That's why they play the game. If they play again tomorrow, maybe UNC beats them by 25.

It says NOTHING about Tulane's basketball program. Neither team was thinking about Tulane at the time. But that's fine. Have your fun finding things to grouse about. Maybe some second level program will beat Florida St and you can re-visit that thread as well.
Point I was making was Wofford is a good team with the top 3 FG player in the nation. They just beat GT a few weeks ago as well. Nothing more, nothing less.