Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It looks like Willie Fritz is on SMU’s list of candidates.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 918470/Amp
Given that this is only a sophisticated rumor, I wonder what impact this may have on a promising recruiting season and the tenuous chance we might have to land L Scott.

RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:

Given that this is only a sophisticated rumor, I wonder what impact this may have on a promising recruiting season and the tenuous chance we might have to land L Scott.
I doubt it will have much impact. Even though he was listed in the names, it really seems like they want Todd Orlando or Brent Venables. The article also says they're looking for a defensive minded coach. Not sure that's WF.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:

If fritz interviews at smu that tells me he wants to get the hell outta Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

SMU pays well. Morris was the highest paid G5 coach in the country ($2.1 mill). Wander what they’ll pay their next coach. WF probably get a $750K hike there. June Jones was making $2 mill while in CUSA years ago.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... d-g5-coach
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

If Troy Dannen starts interviewing with other schools it's time to worry. Willie Fritz is a very good head football coach who can, I think, be too loyal to his staff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:If Troy Dannen starts interviewing with other schools it's time to worry. Willie Fritz is a very good head football coach who can, I think, be too loyal to his staff.
I assume he is. You just won’t know about it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

For goodness sakes.....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:For goodness sakes.....
if Fritz leaves, we have a Sumlin, Hudspeth, Miles, to interview !!!!...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:For goodness sakes.....
if Fritz leaves, we have a Sumlin, Hudspeth, Miles, to interview !!!!...
Despite a 2nd wind from the "I was right" crowd, he's not going to SMU.
lurker123
Swell

Welcome to the perpetual Hot Stove League topic of college coaches/ADs moving around. If they're not being pushed out for losing, they're jumping elsewhere for succeeding. Let's keep throwing the pasta against the wall to see what sticks.

Best one that I remember is some Tiger fan calling Hap's show in mid-80's breathlessly reporting that Mike Archer was from Happy Valley and it was only a matter of time before the moving van left BR for PSU's campus.

If someone leaves, just go make a better hire. That's what Tulane's failure has been.
JerseyWave
Riptide

If Willie Fritz goes to interview with SMU, (highly doubtful) I would tell him don't bother coming back.
DrBox
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:If Willie Fritz goes to interview with SMU, (highly doubtful) I would tell him don't bother coming back.
yes, that would be disappointing. I don't see it on a number of levels, including the reality that SMU has the same basic problem we do: lack of butts in seats.

I think Tulane should bump Fritz to $1.5. I think he's done a great job program-building. The team discipline* is the best in 2 decades, and he's finally moving on recruiting. I realize that he botched a few games, but I really think it's personnel related. I just wish he had a natural successor on staff...to that end I'd like to see one of the coordinators get a head coaching job and bump one of the assistants to coordinator and then there would be more internal candidates, with evidence, out there.
*I think discipline is the number 1 challenge as a coach at Tulane - keeping players mentally focused for the entire season. Fritz does it and does it without being a jerk.

One a side note, how in the world did Rich Rod get to over $5 mill? I seem to recall that we offered more than Az did (in the $1.2 mill range) back in 2011.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:If Willie Fritz goes to interview with SMU, (highly doubtful) I would tell him don't bother coming back.
yes, that would be disappointing. I don't see it on a number of levels, including the reality that SMU has the same basic problem we do: lack of butts in seats.

I think Tulane should bump Fritz to $1.5. I think he's done a great job program-building. The team discipline* is the best in 2 decades, and he's finally moving on recruiting. I realize that he botched a few games, but I really think it's personnel related. I just wish he had a natural successor on staff...to that end I'd like to see one of the coordinators get a head coaching job and bump one of the assistants to coordinator and then there would be more internal candidates, with evidence, out there.
*I think discipline is the number 1 challenge as a coach at Tulane - keeping players mentally focused for the entire season. Fritz does it and does it without being a jerk.

One a side note, how in the world did Rich Rod get to over $5 mill? I seem to recall that we offered more than Az did (in the $1.2 mill range) back in 2011.
As I said before the season began Coach Fritz and his staff should have all been extended and given significant pay raises.

If SMU interest accomplishes this so much the better.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

add that coaching mercenary Todd Graham to the list !!!!.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:add that coaching mercenary Todd Graham to the list !!!!.....
He wouldn't be a bad pick for SMU, at least among the retreads.
Wave755
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote: If someone leaves, just go make a better hire. That's what Tulane's failure has been.
+1, in 1998 we followed the same pattern as for 1979, when Bowden left we got our "feelings hurt" and decided to go "down market" for someone cheap and who would "stay." This strategy has proved disastrous for Tulane. If WF leaves for SMU, and I doubt he will, we should again look for the best qualified candidate for his replacement and agree to pay the market rate for a good Div.1. Cowen took a "shot in the dark" with Scelfo because Scelfo agreed to 350K a year and "promised to never leave."

I think Michael Fitts and the new group "get it" for Tulane athletics. Both Hindman Wall and Cowen proved the "other strategy" leads only to repeated failure for the program.
Show Me
Tsunami

SMU maybe.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
lurker123 wrote: If someone leaves, just go make a better hire. That's what Tulane's failure has been.
+1, in 1998 we followed the same pattern as for 1979, when Bowden left we got our "feelings hurt" and decided to go "down market" for someone cheap and who would "stay." This strategy has proved disastrous for Tulane. If WF leaves for SMU, and I doubt he will, we should again look for the best qualified candidate for his replacement and agree to pay the market rate for a good Div.1. Cowen took a "shot in the dark" with Scelfo because Scelfo agreed to 350K a year and "promised to never leave."

I think Michael Fitts and the new group "get it" for Tulane athletics. Both Hindman Wall and Cowen proved the "other strategy" leads only to repeated failure for the program.
...and to think, with all of that suppose intelligence on campus, it shows how brilliant they really were
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

damn !!!! Sumlin did not make the cut again !!!!...what the hell is wrong with these AD's, don't they know he beat Lamar, Nicholls State, La-Laf and UTSA....oh wait maybe they do !!!
your new Oregon HC..Mario Christobal
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... head-coach

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/12/ ... ucks-panic
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:If Troy Dannen starts interviewing with other schools it's time to worry. Willie Fritz is a very good head football coach who can, I think, be too loyal to his staff.
If TD leaves...contact Jamie Garza or Warren Bankston
GreenLantern
Riptide

Houston Nutt is interested in the job. SMU...Tulane... doesn't matter much which one.
si.com wrote:
  • Houston Nutt is interested in making Hugh Freeze lose the Ole Miss job, which used to be Houston Nutt's job. Houston Nutt succeeds in doing so, via the same method that once helped lead to his exit from the Arkansas job.
  • Houston Nutt is interested in the Tulane job.
  • Houston Nutt is interested in the UCF job.
  • Houston Nutt could be in play for Iowa State's job, says SI.
  • Houston Nutt among those connected to the UTSA job, per the local paper.
  • Houston Nutt connected by multiple reports to the Tulsa job.
  • Houston Nutt reportedly interested in the UNLV job.
  • Houston Nutt would enjoy the commute to the SMU job.
  • Houston Nutt floated for the Buffalo job.
  • Houston Nutt entered by SB Nation in video game tournament for the Florida job.
  • Houston Nutt cold-calling high school coaches about UConn job.
  • Houston Nutt meets with Dallas Cowboys about a job.
  • Houston Nutt interviewing for USF job.
  • Houston Nutt connected to Boston College job.
  • Houston Nutt hired to analyst job at CBS.
  • Houston Nutt loses Ole Miss job (Arkansas fans daydream list of replacement jobs).
  • Houston Nutt denies interest in Colorado job.
  • Houston Nutt reportedly interested in the Kansas job.
  • Houston Nutt lands Ole Miss job hours after leaving Arkansas.
  • Houston Nutt is the subject of Baylor job interest.
  • Houston Nutt chooses Arkansas job over Nebraska job.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Houston Nutt is interested in the job. SMU...Tulane... doesn't matter much which one.
si.com wrote:
  • Houston Nutt is interested in making Hugh Freeze lose the Ole Miss job, which used to be Houston Nutt's job. Houston Nutt succeeds in doing so, via the same method that once helped lead to his exit from the Arkansas job.
  • Houston Nutt is interested in the Tulane job.
  • Houston Nutt is interested in the UCF job.
  • Houston Nutt could be in play for Iowa State's job, says SI.
  • Houston Nutt among those connected to the UTSA job, per the local paper.
  • Houston Nutt connected by multiple reports to the Tulsa job.
  • Houston Nutt reportedly interested in the UNLV job.
  • Houston Nutt would enjoy the commute to the SMU job.
  • Houston Nutt floated for the Buffalo job.
  • Houston Nutt entered by SB Nation in video game tournament for the Florida job.
  • Houston Nutt cold-calling high school coaches about UConn job.
  • Houston Nutt meets with Dallas Cowboys about a job.
  • Houston Nutt interviewing for USF job.
  • Houston Nutt connected to Boston College job.
  • Houston Nutt hired to analyst job at CBS.
  • Houston Nutt loses Ole Miss job (Arkansas fans daydream list of replacement jobs).
  • Houston Nutt denies interest in Colorado job.
  • Houston Nutt reportedly interested in the Kansas job.
  • Houston Nutt lands Ole Miss job hours after leaving Arkansas.
  • Houston Nutt is the subject of Baylor job interest.
  • Houston Nutt chooses Arkansas job over Nebraska job.
"Sum times Ya feel lika a Nutt...Sum times ya don't "
Bigschtick
Riptide

Someone, please delete this thread!!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:Someone, please delete this thread!!
I agree. There is absolutely no basis for this. It is the essence of fake news.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:Someone, please delete this thread!!
I agree. There is absolutely no basis for this. It is the essence of fake news.
CNN...MSNBC Strikes Again !!!