Tulane beats Southern 95-76

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game will be on ESPN3.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

weather super-underachieves today. Winter is here.

Tulane game at moment appears off the board in Vegas.

For those of you who hate the noon start time, you might prefer Houston's home game today against Fairfield. They tip-off at 11am!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Ya killin’ me, Whitey! I got a lot of work to do today and now I’ll be nothing but distracted from 12 to 2pm. I hope the kids are loud and know when to scream.
Wave755
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:weather super-underachieves today. Winter is here.

For those of you who hate the noon start time, you might prefer Houston's home game today against Fairfield. They tip-off at 11am!
Correct, understandably no Vegas spread on this one.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Although stating my opinion on this topic exposes my shortsided, parochial thinking, I am a little annoyed that Tulane decided to take my season tickets for this game. I understand that admission for this event is for children, but couldn't those children sit on the student side or in sections F or P behind the baskets? It's disconcerting to purchase season tickets only to have them reallocated for a game in mid-season. At the least, Tulane should have included this information in the season ticket purchasing packet. Here's the correspondence I received from the athletic ticket office:
Your current ticket will be scanned upon entry and then you can make your way to Sections T, A, or B for seating.

Thank you for understanding and adjusting your seat for this game as we look to reach out into our community and host a large and loud crowd for tomorrow.
If Tulane had sent an email blast requesting that season ticket holders donate their tickets for this event, I would have gladly participated. Taking them without asking is more than a little annoying. What do you other season ticket holders think?
Wave755
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:weather super-underachieves today. Winter is here.

By Sagarin's formula for his ratings system playing at home we are a 15.04 pt. favorite for this game.
Ruski
Swell

Started the first half decent enough, getting up 10 points. Then let Southern back in with some terrible shooting, was a 1 point game. Finished the first half 20-2 run, up 51-29. Not sure what to make of it. Clearly we have the deeper team but we looked rough a points, losing the inside game once again. Sehic looks like a really nice pickup, if we win any good games in conference I see him being a difference maker.

They showed our rpi is up to 73. What do you guys reckon will get us an NIT invite? I think that would be a huge achievement.
Wave755
Tsunami

Final:
Wave 95
Southern 76
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ruski wrote:They showed our rpi is up to 73. What do you guys reckon will get us an NIT invite? I think that would be a huge achievement.
Winning 2 of the next 3 NC games and then 10-8 in conference play should get us in the discussion. Winning 20 for the season should make us a lock for the NIT. Chances of that happening is less than 40%.

Win fewer than 12 games and the team is relegated to the Green Lantern Invitational. That's when Rick Dickson pays me $100K, flies the team to Vegas and plays against several guys in a pick-up game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Although stating my opinion on this topic exposes my shortsided, parochial thinking, I am a little annoyed that Tulane decided to take my season tickets for this game. I understand that admission for this event is for children, but couldn't those children sit on the student side or in sections F or P behind the baskets? It's disconcerting to purchase season tickets only to have them reallocated for a game in mid-season. At the least, Tulane should have included this information in the season ticket purchasing packet. Here's the correspondence I received from the athletic ticket office:
Your current ticket will be scanned upon entry and then you can make your way to Sections T, A, or B for seating.

Thank you for understanding and adjusting your seat for this game as we look to reach out into our community and host a large and loud crowd for tomorrow.
If Tulane had sent an email blast requesting that season ticket holders donate their tickets for this event, I would have gladly participated. Taking them without asking is more than a little annoying. What do you other season ticket holders think?
The team bench side looked empty on the stream. They didn’t show the other side of the court where you could tell. Had to mute the sound because the kids screaming.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

BTW, from the television coverage it did not appear that there were an abundance of NOLA chi'run at the game.

Hope the athletic department enjoyed the use of my tickets. Perhaps next year they will be so kind as to announce:
One out-of-conference game will be designated as public schools day. To support the growth of Tulane athletics and to build the number of future fans, your season tickets for that game will be given to New Orleans school children.
I can support that. Just don't take the tickets and tell me after I've paid for them.
lurker123
Swell

lots of future fans at game not many current ones good effort by the wave lets see how team against fsu
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:lots of future fans at game not many current ones good effort by the wave lets see how team against fsu
If we can somehow beat FSU, we should ask the Seminoles to send the trophy from the Jamaica Classic to us.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski
Swell

lurker123 wrote:lots of future fans at game not many current ones good effort by the wave lets see how team against fsu
A win against FSU should give us 10 OOC wins.

8 games home&away to USF/ECU/Tulsa/Memphis. Gotta win at least 6.

Another 4 games at home SMU/Houston/UCONN/Temple. 2 wins here would be fantastic.

That leaves away SMU/Houston/Temple/UCF/WSU and home to Cincy. Picking 1 here isn't impossible.

That would get us to 19 and an ok chance at NIT. If we can win 20/21, I think we're for sure in. Please Dunleavy!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:

Another 4 games at home SMU/Houston/UCONN/Temple. 2 wins here would be fantastic.

That leaves away SMU/Houston/Temple/UCF/WSU and home to Cincy. Picking 1 here isn't impossible.

That would get us to 19 and an ok chance at NIT. If we can win 20/21, I think we're for sure in. Please Dunleavy!
As we learned with this years football season following the Tulsa game it's too early to worry about these things. One game, one possession, one basket at a time. And beating FSU is far from a sure thing. I haven't checked, but expect to be double digit underdogs.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Ruski wrote:

As we learned with this years football season following the Tulsa game it's too early to worry about these things. One game, one possession, one basket at a time. And beating FSU is far from a sure thing. I haven't checked, but expect to be double digit underdogs.
Oh I fully expect us to go 4-14 in conference. Just thought I'd look a little ahead to what a reasonably successful season would look like. 20 wins and NIT would be amazing. Outside of USF/ECU/Tulsa the AAC is brutal this year!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not saying we'll have a good conference record but I don't see the conference as brutal at all.There's WSU who's a clear cut above. Then you have Cincy and then SMU. There's a middle group that are not overwhelming at all. Then there's that bottom group that is weak. so there are some wins to be had. The question is have we made the progress to get them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Not saying we'll have a good conference record but I don't see the conference as brutal at all.There's WSU who's a clear cut above. Then you have Cincy and then SMU. There's a middle group that are not overwhelming at all. Then there's that bottom group that is weak. so there are some wins to be had. The question is have we made the progress to get them.
+1
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

No chance against FSU who plays incredible defense. They are long and fast. Tulane FG % may dip into twenties until trash time late.
lurker123
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:No chance against FSU who plays incredible defense. They are long and fast. Tulane FG % may dip into twenties until trash time late.
Thanks for letting us know in advance the score will be 62-0 so we can save our time prepping for the Saints-Falcons game. Can you send this memo to Dunleavy and ask him to not even bothering practicing the rest of this week? He reads his email and I'm sure he'll welcome it. The team needs the rest for the guys from Nichols State next week. I'm sure the team will appreciate it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:No chance against FSU who plays incredible defense. They are long and fast. Tulane FG % may dip into twenties until trash time late.
Thanks for letting us know in advance the score will be 62-0 so we can save our time prepping for the Saints-Falcons game. Can you send this memo to Dunleavy and ask him to not even bothering practicing the rest of this week? He reads his email and I'm sure he'll welcome it. The team needs the rest for the guys from Nichols State next week. I'm sure the team will appreciate it.
Maybe Jaxwave's post was a little exagerated (of course we have a chance, that's why they play the games) but Lurker, your reply was over the top! We are serious underdogs to FSU, and for good reason. No the score won't be 62-0, but I could easily see FSU shutting us down for long stretches more than once during the game. This will take our best effort to date this season, and we cannot play the run and chuck it up game, nor the matador defense we've played so often. If we do play that way, a 30+ point loss is very possible.

I'm sure Dunleavy already knows what he faces and is trying to get the team to play a better game than they've played thus far. We're not going to shoot 55% against this FSU team, that's for sure.
Jaxwave
Swell

1. Should have said it as an opinion.
2. Trying to alleviate you guys getting your expectations up and then taking your frustrations out on the coach and players after the game because...
3. FSU is really good on defense under Hamilton. Great size and they play hard. There won’t be a lot of inside baskets and they guard the three well.
lurker123
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:1. Should have said it as an opinion.
2. Trying to alleviate you guys getting your expectations up and then taking your frustrations out on the coach and players after the game because...
3. FSU is really good on defense under Hamilton. Great si ze and they play hard. There won’t be a lot of inside baskets and they guard the three well.
Noted. Why bemoan a game before it's played? I just don't get belittling and trash talking your own team in advance. Period.

No delusions here. FSU will be a big favorite and odds for Tulane to win straight up are very long shot at best. Tulane hasn't beaten a team this good on paper in several decades. Very uphill climb. We'll see what happens. At best, I'd make a small sentimental bet on Tulane with the points and that's it.

I know you're a good Tulane fan. Come out and see the team play in conference after the holidays. Worth the effort.