Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 pm

DfromCT wrote:He should sign somewhere for a dollar, and get his assistants big bucks.
YOU should get a life and get off the computer. Do you waste the same amount of time on the UConn, Duke and UCF boards too ?


Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Sumlin...did not make the cut in Orlando

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... oordinator
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

That decision feels similar to Houston's decision to hire Applewhite instead of Kiffin or Riley.
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:That decision feels similar to Houston's decision to hire Applewhite instead of Kiffin or Riley.
I agree. I don't think Sumlin was looking to settle down in Orlando full-time.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 pm

UH AD to ARK
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:22 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... new-coach/

UCF hires former Sooner QB, Mizzou OC Josh Huepel as Head Coach. Randy Shannon to be DC.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 pm

That didn't last long.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12281
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:24 pm

golfnut69 wrote:Sumlin...did not make the cut in Orlando

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... oordinator

I think this could turn out to be a good hire.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:27 pm

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:Sumlin...did not make the cut in Orlando

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... oordinator

I think this could turn out to be a good hire.
Heupel was smart to lock down Randy Shannon ..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Looks as if Lindsey Scott will now become a UCF target now that Missouri's OC is UCF's new HC....
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:42 pm

nawlinspete wrote:Looks as if Lindsey Scott will now become a UCF target now that Missouri's OC is UCF's new HC....
But Lindsey can't pass...and Heupel is a former Mike Leach QB @ Oklahoma....so how is that gonna work ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 pm

RobertM320 wrote:That didn't last long.
even shorter...Chip Kelley to resign from direction school UCLA, and go back home to Oregon
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm

I just really hope that, no matter what coaches end up leaving the AAC (i.e. Norvell/Strong/etc.), the AAC decides to make some flashy hires of the Kiffin/Sumlin/Miles/Meacham variety.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:01 pm

nawlinspete wrote:Looks as if Lindsey Scott will now become a UCF target now that Missouri's OC is UCF's new HC....
Wont happen. McKenzie Milton is only a sophomore with two full seasons left. No way Scott's going to sit. And they have two FR and two RS FR on their roster as well.

This may actually end up helping us. If he was interested in Mizzou because of the offense, he may not want to take a chance and sign with them without knowing what the new OCs philosophy is. And UCF doesn't need him.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1895
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Chad Morris is headng to Arkansas. SMU's on the hunt again.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:Chad Morris is headng to Arkansas. SMU's on the hunt again.

AJ...where did you hear this ?... I just checked the DFW papers as well as those in Fayettville..the only article was the Clemson DC was contacted
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:30 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:Chad Morris is headng to Arkansas. SMU's on the hunt again.

AJ...where did you hear this ?... I just checked the DFW papers as well as those in Fayettville..the only article was the Clemson DC was contacted

Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7840
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Wavetime wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:Chad Morris is headng to Arkansas. SMU's on the hunt again.

AJ...where did you hear this ?... I just checked the DFW papers as well as those in Fayettville..the only article was the Clemson DC was contacted

Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

not sure about the article...the Fayettville paper shows Brent V contacted for an interview for the Head Coaching Job
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2017/dec/ ... 71/?sports
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:To provide context, Sumlin is the #5 coach in Texas A&M history, as, for one reason or another, Texas A&M has consistently underperformed.
And he got them to their highest ranking ever.
don't think so...A&M won the national championship one year, in fact it was the year they beat Tulane in the Sugar Bowl
You're right, I meant to write "The Aggies finished the 2012 season ranked in the top 5 of both the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll for the first time since 1956."
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 am

Wavetime wrote: Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
I guess Tulane pay is near the bottom. With WF making $1.2 million.
UCF: Head coach Josh Heupel will earn $1.7 million annually (which would rank 7th among AAC head coaches) with a staff salary pool of $2.5 million. If he were to leave before their 2020 bowl game, Heupel would owe UCF a buyout of $10 million.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote: Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
I guess Tulane pay is near the bottom. With WF making $1.2 million.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Looks like Tulane is slightly ahead of ECU, USF and UConn in salary. Temple doesn't report on this list, but their coach was making $1m as an asst at Florida before taking the job, so I'd imagine it's more than what WF's base salary is.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 am

Times have really changed. A $10M buyout for a G5 coach, and its only if he leaves in less than 3 years.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 am

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote: Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
I guess Tulane pay is near the bottom. With WF making $1.2 million.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Looks like Tulane is slightly ahead of ECU, USF and UConn in salary. Temple doesn't report on this list, but their coach was making $1m as an asst at Florida before taking the job, so I'd imagine it's more than what WF's base salary is.
Incentives matter too. Apparently not included in this survey.

Regardless when WF was hired he was mid-range salary in AAC. Inflation from new hires over last two years has moved him down. If and when he wins, he will certainly get a raise and move back up that slippery pole.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 am

lurker123 wrote: Regardless when WF was hired he was mid-range salary in AAC. Inflation from new hires over last two years has moved him down. If and when he wins, he will certainly get a raise and move back up that slippery pole.
That’s what happens when you’re happy about being average and shoot for mid-range. You get mid-range results and usually slip from there. It would be a nice if Tulane actually wanted to be at the top for a change.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote: Here ya go. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/
I guess Tulane pay is near the bottom. With WF making $1.2 million.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Looks like Tulane is slightly ahead of ECU, USF and UConn in salary. Temple doesn't report on this list, but their coach was making $1m as an asst at Florida before taking the job, so I'd imagine it's more than what WF's base salary is.
And USF doesn’t really count due to Strong’s payments from Texas and how it impacted what USF needed to pay to bring him on board.
Post Reply