UCF/Memphis

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote: USN&WR no. 171, below even LSU & Ole Miss.
BFD.

That's the overall University, which has 60,000 undergrads and 12 campuses. They have certain programs, as I pointed out, that are ranked WAY higher than Tulane. Yes, Tulane at $60k/year is ranked much higher. But for less than what it costs to go to Tulane for one year, you can do all 4 at UCF and in some degree categories (again, I mention Education) come away with a degree that's respected more than a Tulane degree. And 4 years out of college it doesn't matter anyway. It's a what have you done lately world. University of Phoenix grads can and do go further if they're the right people.

We need to get off our high horses about the value of a Tulane degree. For student athletes, it's a bs argument. Playing for conference titles and being a factor (which we're not 9 years out of 10, or more accurately 97 years out of 100) plays a MUCH bigger role than USN&WR, ratings, which, as Northeastern University has proven, can be gamed in a big way.

There's PLENTY of schools that are ranked higher than Tulane that aren't even interested in D1 sports. BFD, that USN&WR ranking . It's meaningless.

If you don't think UCF if closer to a P5 invite than Tulane, I want what you're smoking.
We'll see what happens athletically. As concerns academics and reputation for employment purposes, a Tulane degree travels nationally. A UCF degree doesn't even make it out of the state of Florida. 92% of UCF's current student body are Florida residents. It's not even a regional school. So yes if you are only a school with a local state residential student body (like most of the highly ranked UC system schools) than relative rankings like US News matter to give a school national cred. UCF doesn't have it. At least an LSU diploma will get you a job interview in Houston and perhaps Atlanta.

https://www.ucf.edu/about-ucf/facts/
Who the hell cares? You actually make a GREAT point: UCF graduates 15k a year, and they stay in state. Guess what: that means their fan base grows at a rate of about 10x a year that ours does. Besides, 5 years out of college it's a whole lot more about what you've done since you graduated than where you went to school.
UCF is Orlando's UNO, Florida will always be their State Flagship university(medical & law schools) & Miami will always be Miami. And, your comments a couple of years ago that ULALA was ahead of Tulane also proved ridiculous. After all, your 2015 "model program" ULALA just lost yesterday 63 -14 to Appy State and today fired its "Knute Rockne like" coach Mark Hudspeth. :)
And in 2015 UL-LA was ahead of Tulane. Don't agree, no problem, you have every right to keep your head in the sand. UCF is WAY ahead of Tulane, and wouldn't subject a conference to RIDICULE the way an invite handed out to Tulane would. Don't agree, see above. BTW: In case you didn't know it Miami is a private university, not a state school.

I'm sure you know that UCF is one of the largest Universities in the NATION, with 12 campuses and 60,000 students. Again, I think they're a hell of a lot more likely to make the cut than Tulane. Academics mean very little when conferences go to expand. Success, which UCF has had a boat load more than Tulane in their short history, means a whole lot more. And calling them the UNO of Orlando is wearing your ignorance like a badge of honor on your sleeve.

I'm also a Notre Dame fan, as my brother was ND '71. Can you tell me who won more BCS bowl games: Notre Dame or UCF?

That's right, UCF won more BCS bowl games than ND in the 15 or so years of the BCS. But again, you know it all, so you must have known that.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: BTW: In case you didn't know it Miami is a private university, not a state school.
Of course I know Miami is a private school, a good friend of mine went there. UCF is a commuter school, just like Memphis. It doesn't meet the profile of a P6 school any more so than does Memphis.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote: BTW: In case you didn't know it Miami is a private university, not a state school.
Of course I know Miami is a private school, a good friend of mine went there. UCF is a commuter school, just like Memphis. It doesn't meet the profile of a P6 school anymore so than does Memphis.
That's a funny thing you said about UCF. I spent a weekend there at the start of November. I was with a few hundred other parents whose kids are all from places other than Orlando. And it wasn't parents weekend, by the way. They have housing for more than 15,000. Then there's non-University housing for another 20,000. Not all of the University sponsored housing is on campus. But there's no shortage of students at UCF from places other than Orlando. And you're right, it doesn't meet the profile of a mythical P6 school. It's much closer to a P5 than a P6.

But keep telling yourself whatever you want to in order to put down UCF and make yourself feel better. I write a check twice a year for my daughter to go there. And I'm very proud of her and her school. It's certainly a better value than $60k private universities that aren't Ivy league schools.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Of course I know Miami is a private school, a good friend of mine went there. UCF is a commuter school, just like Memphis. It doesn't meet the profile of a P5 school anymore so than does Memphis.
That's a funny thing you said about UCF. I spent a weekend there at the start of November. I was with a few hundred other parents whose kids are all from places other than Orlando. And it wasn't parents weekend, by the way. They have housing for more than 15,000. Then there's non-University housing for another 20,000. Not all of the University sponsored housing is on campus. But there's no shortage of students at UCF from places other than Orlando. And you're right, it doesn't meet the profile of a mythical P5 school. It's much closer to a P5 than a P5.

But keep telling yourself whatever you want to in order to put down UCF and make yourself feel better. I write a check twice a year for my daughter to go there. And I'm very proud of her and her school. It's certainly a better value than $60k private universities that aren't Ivy league schools.
UCF - USN&WR 171, 38 places below LSU. And, who wants to go to a university with 64,000 students anyway? Also, another Florida "elite" school, "prestigious FIU" has over 55,000 students. P5 for FIU, LOL!

UCF = Mickey Mouse's UNO.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Of course I know Miami is a private school, a good friend of mine went there. UCF is a commuter school, just like Memphis. It doesn't meet the profile of a P5 school anymore so than does Memphis.
That's a funny thing you said about UCF. I spent a weekend there at the start of November. I was with a few hundred other parents whose kids are all from places other than Orlando. And it wasn't parents weekend, by the way. They have housing for more than 15,000. Then there's non-University housing for another 20,000. Not all of the University sponsored housing is on campus. But there's no shortage of students at UCF from places other than Orlando. And you're right, it doesn't meet the profile of a mythical P5 school. It's much closer to a P5 than a P5.

UCF - USN&WR 171, 38 places below LSU. And, who wants to go to a university with 64,000 students anyway? Also, another Florida "elite" school, "prestigious FIU" has over 55,000 students, LOL!

I hope you feel better. Your arrogance is so flattering, you wear it well.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

UCF - USN&WR 171, 38 places below LSU. And, who wants to go to a university with 64,000 students anyway? Also, another Florida "elite" school, "prestigious FIU" has over 55,000 students, LOL!

I hope you feel better. Your arrogance is so flattering, you wear it well.
Thank you, Tulane A & S and Law. :)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Isn't LSU Law higher ranked than Tulane? I know I see posts from time to time about how their rate of passing the Bar exam blows away Tulane's.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Isn't LSU Law higher ranked than Tulane? I know I see posts from time to time about how their rate of passing the Bar exam blows away Tulane's.
They did pass the bar at a higher % than Tulane law but the latest had Tulane up.
LSU wins 2015
http://www.lsu.edu/mediacenter/news/201 ... xam.eb.php

LSU wins 2016
https://www.law.lsu.edu/news/2016/10/07 ... -bar-exam/

Then Tulane came back in 2017
https://www.law.lsu.edu/news/2017/10/06 ... -bar-exam/
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Isn't LSU Law higher ranked than Tulane? I know I see posts from time to time about how their rate of passing the Bar exam blows away Tulane's.
They did pass the bar at a higher % than Tulane law but the latest had Tulane up.
LSU wins 2015

LSU wins 2016

My point being that USN&WR rankings mean very little when you start comparing programs within the University. Thanks, Tim.
Wave755
Tsunami

Try again "pee-brain," I have the July 2017 bar results before me as I type this reply:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

In the history of Louisiana no rating service has ever ranked LSU's law school above that of Tulane. The same is true for the medical schools. Beginning with Dean John Kramer and President Eamon Kelly (Ford Foundation), Tulane awarded 14 to 16 Louisiana law seats on a "non-merit, political" basis. A program of special after hours classes was then put in effect to see to it these "underqualified" students would graduate. For this period Tulane's bar pass rate did suffer. Mike Fitts, former dean of Penn School of Law, believes in no such non-sense.

Also, LSU has a "structural advantage" over both Tulane and Loyola for the bar. Tulane and Loyola have both Civil (Louisiana) and Common law (other 49 states) programs. LSU has only a program for Louisiana law. In particular at Tulane many "common law students" who in 3 years at Tulane's law school haven't taken one class in Louisiana law decide to stay in New Orleans after graduation, take the two week review course, and then "wing it" on the bar. A fairer comparison between Tulane and LSU would be to compare the pass rate for Tulane Civil Law graduates (Louisiana) against all graduates of LSU law. So in a sense Tulane, and to a lesser degree Loyola, since they have fewer Common Law students, compete against LSU for the bar with one hand tied behind their back.
Even with this disadvavatage, Tulane still handily beat LSU on the July 2017 bar.

My class had a 94% pass rate, best in Louisiana for that year.

Oh, by the way, directional UCF doesn't even have a medical or law school.
Last edited by Wave755 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
Try again "pee-brain," I have the July 2017 bar results before me as I type this reply:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

In the history of Louisiana no rating service has ever ranked LSU's law school above that of Tulane. The same is true for the medical schools. Beginning with Dean John Kramer and President Eamon Kelly (Ford Foundation), Tulane awarded 14 to 16 Louisiana law seats on a "non-merit, political" basis. A program of special classes was put in effect to see to it these "underqualified" students would graduate. For this period Tulane's bar pass rate did suffer. Mike Fitts, former dean of Penn School of Law, believes in no such non-sense.

By the way, directional UCF doesn't even have a medical or law school.
And some would say Tulane has no athletics program.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

In the history of Louisiana no rating service has ever ranked LSU's law school above that of Tulane. The same is true for the medical schools. Beginning with Dean John Kramer and President Eamon Kelly (Ford Foundation), Tulane awarded 14 to 16 Louisiana law seats on a "non-merit, political" basis. A program of special classes was put in effect to see to it these "underqualified" students would graduate. For this period Tulane's bar pass rate did suffer. Mike Fitts, former dean of Penn School of Law, believes in no such non-sense.

I bet you couldn't get into Tulane's law school with an AK47 under your right arm.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
LSU wins 2015

LSU wins 2016

TPS, LSU has a "structural advantage" over both Tulane and Loyola for the bar. Tulane and Loyola have both Civil (Louisiana) and Common law (other 49 states) programs. LSU has only a program for Louisiana law. In particular at Tulane many "common law students" who in 3 years at Tulane's law school haven't taken one class in Louisiana law decide to stay in New Orleans after graduation, take the two week review course, and then "wing it" on the bar. A fairer comparison between Tulane and LSU would be to compare the pass rate for Tulane Civil Law graduates (Louisiana) against all graduates of LSU law. So in a sense Tulane, and to a lesser degree Loyola, since they have fewer Common Law students, compete against LSU for the bar with one hand tied behind their back.

Even with this disadvantage, Tulane still handily beat LSU on the July 2017 bar.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

I bet you couldn't get into Tulane's law school with a AK47 under your right arm.
Funny you say that. I come from a family of lawyers, my grandfather was a well known criminal attorney in Brooklyn, my father went to law school later in life and mostly did family law but made most of his $$ as an expert witness in government contract litigation. He developed accounting systems earlier in his career for government contract bidding and negotiation. I not only got into Tulane law, but a few other schools as well, and decided I wanted to get out of school. Glad I did so as I had a blast on Wall St. for the first 20 years of my career, and made enough money that I'm enjoying a second career that's less lucrative than my first one after leaving Wall St.

Clearly, you define your life more by what you did in school than I do. Too each their own. I had a blast in High School and College, but my greatest achievements were later in life than my teens and early twenties. My life means more than where I went to school. Heck, I think I learned more working my way through Tulane with the various jobs I had than I did in the classroom. Though two professors I had were outstanding: Dr. Jean Danielson and Professor William Rose (who happened to leave Tulane to go to Connecticut College).

But you are right. I would hope Tulane Security stopped anyone from entering any building with an AK47 under either arm.

Dope!
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

I bet you couldn't get into Tulane's law school with a AK47 under your right arm.
Funny you say that. I come from a family of lawyers, my grandfather was a well known criminal attorney in Brooklyn, my father went to law school later in life and mostly did family law but made most of his $$ as an expert witness in government contract litigation. He developed accounting systems earlier in his career for government contract bidding and negotiation. I not only got into Tulane law, :lol:(and Margot Robbie is your girlfriend but she lives in Canada) :P but a few other schools as well, and decided I wanted to get out of school. Glad I did so as I had a blast on Wall St. for the first 20 years of my career, and made enough money that I'm enjoying a second career that's less lucrative than my first one after leaving Wall St.

Clearly, you define your life more by what you did in school than I do. Too each their own. I had a blast in High School and College, but my greatest achievements were later in life than my teens and early twenties. My life means more than where I went to school. Heck, I think I learned more working my way through Tulane with the various jobs I had than I did in the classroom. Though two professors I had were outstanding: Dr. Jean Danielson and Professor William Rose (who happened to leave Tulane to go to Connecticut College).

But you are right. I would hope Tulane Security stopped anyone from entering any building with an AK47 under either arm.

Dope!
Let's see, in 2015 you were a ULALA troll and now you're a UCF troll. You just love trolling don't you, perhaps next year you can troll for Delta State, another school I am sure you greatly respect for its academics. :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

Funny you say that. I come from a family of lawyers, my grandfather was a well known criminal attorney in Brooklyn, my father went to law school later in life and mostly did family law but made most of his $$ as an expert witness in government contract litigation. He developed accounting systems earlier in his career for government contract bidding and negotiation. I not only got into Tulane law, :lol:(and Margot Robbie is your girlfriend but she lives in Canada) :P but a few other schools as well, and decided I wanted to get out of school. Glad I did so as I had a blast on Wall St. for the first 20 years of my career, and made enough money that I'm enjoying a second career that's less lucrative than my first one after leaving Wall St.

Dope!
Let's see, in 2015 you were a ULALA troll and now you're a UCF troll. You just love trolling don't you, perhaps next year you can troll for Delta State, another school I am sure you greatly respect for its academics. :lol:

Don't you get tired of constantly trying to berate me. I'm tired of it. I have a daughter that goes to UCF. Get over it. Anyone that doesn't agree with your viewpoint you attack. I was never a big supporter of UL-L. I simply said that their football program and general athletics program was in better shape than ours. End of story. Get over it. Good night, Alice.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

FIRST TIME TAKERS
Tulane 91.07%
Loyola 87.37%
LSU 83.94%
Southern 58.76%

Dope!

Don't you get tired of constantly trying to berate me. I'm tired of it. I have a daughter that goes to UCF. Get over it. Anyone that doesn't agree with your viewpoint you attack. I was never a big supporter of UL-L. I simply said that their football program and general athletics program was in better shape than ours. End of story. Get over it. Good night, Alice.
Roll Wave Roll, forever Tulane proud!
ajcalhoun
Swell

D, just add the miserable prick to your foe list and be done with it.
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I'm not exactly sure what you guys are disagreeing over. Tulane and UCF are very different universities with very different philosophies and goals.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

755--You are a perfect example of why people can't stand Tulane. The elitist. When I’m sitting watching a game I don't give a rat's ass what their graduation rate is or USN&WR score is. I do care that when mighty FIU and Cincinnati embarrasses us on the field. When we lost those games I didn't tell the guy next to me, "well at least we have a better graduation rate or higher USN&WR." Grow up.....oh wait you're a lawyer....forget it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote:755--You are a perfect example of why people can't stand Tulane. The elitist. When i sitting watching a game I don't give a rat's ass what their graduation rate is or USN&WR score is. I do care that when mighty FIU and Cincinnati embarrasses us on the field. When we lost those games I didn't tell the guy next to me, "well at least we have a better graduation rate or higher USN&WR." Grow up.....oh wait you're a lawyer....forget it.
Thank you, Kajun. When people say absurd things on this forum about my law school, Tulane, the 12th oldest law school in the United States, such statements will not go unchallenged. :)
Pepper
Swell

I could give 2 shits what our graduation rate is. Just be a respectable citizen off the filed and a winning program on it. Is that too much too ask? I'm sure not going to toot my horn if Mel Leavett gives us the Quiz Bowl Trophy!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Wave755
Tsunami

Pepper wrote:I could give 2 shits what our graduation rate is. Just be a respectable citizen off the filed and a winning program on it. Is that too much too ask? I'm sure not going to toot my horn if Mel Leavett gives us the Quiz Bowl Trophy!
Actually, D's statement was about Tulane's bar pass rate, no one said anything about a graduation rate. And true, this is a sports forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
LSU wins 2015

LSU wins 2016

My point being that USN&WR rankings mean very little when you start comparing programs within the University. Thanks, Tim.
Hey hey let's lay off Tulane law :D . That being said, I would generally disagree with that, as a lot of employers seems to happily employ graduates from higher ranked schools over graduates of lower ranked schools even if the lower ranked school has a stronger program in the field that the employer is hiring for, and that seems particularly true in the south, where there are not a lot of relatively high enrollment public universities with strong academics like there are on the west coast (University of California's), midwest (B1G schools) and east coast (UNC/Virginia/Virginia Tech/etc.).